Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

AngryBird101

VIP Member
UK caravan holidays!! Amazing!! Love travelling overseas but can’t beat a wee UK break in a fancy caravan!😂🤣

Trains in the UK are pretty great!
The fact we have a NO GUNS ALLOWED POLICY!! Lol
The fact we are so popular for people to want to immigrate too, we have an amazing education system, NHS..

We are a lucky country to live in in terms of no massive earthquakes, tsunamis, things of Mother Nature reacting to hotter climates and a notion that with global warming, then these places will get hotter, and then there are Countries that can get colder..we don’t have bad winters, we THINK we do 😆😆 but it’s hardly Russia in winter! 🥶🥶

We have pretty good TV options..
sometimes..too much+too many reality shows/people though..but looks like the majority rule here..there are more votes FOR these shows to be shown, than there are no votes..it’s the day and time we are in though so I’ll suck it up!!🤷🏻‍♀️..lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 4

Colin

I'm over on the other side of Europe but have been moving around for a bit for a while now. Probably (Covid depending) off to Bangkok for a few years soon.

I miss:
- The people, bit of small talk in a bar/shop. People will usually try to help you if you ask them for assistance (directions, opening hours...nothing big!)
- The sheer variety of food and culture. I was lucky enough to spend a week in Brixton before the pandemic hit this winter and had an absolute blast.
- Marked countryside walks, the countryside in my current country is arguably far more dramatic and beautiful than the UK but there are no marked walks so hiking in the countryside is a lot more of a risk and commitment...plus you've got to watch out for boar/bears!
- The weather, it's never so extreme in the uk. Now I'm sat in 40 degree heat, back in January...-25! I miss just needing a light jacket 😂
- Familiarity, I generally "get" the culture and customs

What I don't miss:

- The weather! Endless grey.
- The cost of living
- Trains delays
- Brexity people

emm

VIP Member
blimey you must live somewhere with horrific public transport if you wistfully miss TFL 😉 🤣
TFL is amazing for the amount of space it covers and how frequently the tube comes, it is just insanely expensive, if you want to see a bad transport network go and live in Rome where buses are so old they regularly catch fire :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow

Pearl767

I miss the UK so much.. completely understand how you are feeling. I’m in the Middle East and the thought of not being able to travel back home for another few months at least (if at all this year) is depressing!

I miss the landscapes, the weather - especially the rain! Haha but also super jealous of the beautiful weather right now! I miss the architecture, people who have manners and respect... queuing!! The TV shows, British humour, all the supermarkets (food is ridiculously over priced here and terrible quality) Pret A Manger and Café Nero!

soymilk

VIP Member
been out of the UK for 5+ years now and the things I miss the most are:
- toasted tea cakes/hot cross buns/crumpets
- a good cup of tea
- Northern people 💛
- how fast and easy it is to get administrative things done / sorted
- how happy everyone is when the sun is shining / the World Cup is on
- going into a bar and just listening to bangers 😅

Having lived out of the UK for a while now, the only things I miss are:
- Salad Cream
- Aldi
- British Fish and Chips
- The countryside
- Yorkshire accent

• Heart

nbt

VIP Member
A good cuppa, a Sunday roast, sarcasm, beautiful countryside but also the fact that you can travel a couple of hours down the road and it can be so different but just as beautiful.

• Heart

Kmt2019

The amount of seaside towns / beaches there are- I guess because we are a relatively small island. I love the traditional seaside arcades. I don’t think I could live anywhere that wasn’t close to the sea.

Fish and chips (with extra vinegar) and a battered sausage 😄

Music festivals, especially Glastonbury.

TV - Location Location Location 😆

Sarcasm

Earl Grey tea

Wagamamas

Cheese and onion pasties

Going for a drive in the countryside

• Heart

Chipstiz

I used to live abroad and the thing I disliked the most was the old fashioned expectations of women! In the UK no one cares if women are at the pub smashing pints 😅

Reactions: 3

Notorious PIG

Been living outside the UK for four years and I miss:

Nandos
M&S food
The many different types of crisps
TfL
British customer service
Pub quiz
Wetherspoons
Bluewater
Westfield in Stratford and White City
Canary Wharf
My cat 😢
My friends 😢
Inexpensive but delicious and plentiful Indian food
Fish & chips

Notothefakes

VIP Member
Jacket potatoes 😂 when I lived in France and Germany it was the food I missed the most. I didn’t have an oven so couldn’t make myself one 😭 I also missed being able to express myself fully. I can speak French and German but it’s not the same as in English and any witty comments that might have popped into my head I couldn’t always get out quick enough so it felt isolating to an extent.

• Heart

Barb

Pret's porridge is amazing.

This is quite crude...but I think it is hilarious that it is quite acceptable for the word "cunt" to be said amongst friends in the UK, especially Scotland. Here in Canada, if you said it, you'd get punched. Lol.
CuntyMcCuntface is my fave when I can't remember someone's name 🤣

• Haha

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I also live abroad:
1. just the fact that everything is in English.
2.Macaroni in cheese in a can .
3.The rain.
4.Salt & vinegar crisps + prawn cocktail crisps
5.Free evening standard newspaper

Last edited:

2xblended

VIP Member
Love this thread! So many things...
The rules! And the fact that people follow the rules! From queuing to driving to filling out applications- there's a system in place for everything, everyone follows the system and it all works, which you don't realise until you've left.
Spring time.
Regent's park! And all the stunning parks dotted all over the place.
Early morning runners at 5/6am before starting their work day- I just don't see them in such large numbers anywhere else.
Pret porridge!
Cream tea in the countryside.
Proper television :LOL:
Waterstones and Foyles
The West End and theatre in general, including Fringe plays
Buskers
Museums and art galleries
I'm sure I have loads more that will come to me. :love: