What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My MIL got my ex (then husband) a set of matching Father and Son t-shirts for his birthday.

..a month after our son died.

I was like... wtf.
She’s never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but seriously?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 47
this thread is gold 😂😂 my sil always seems to buy not age related gifts for my youngest,when youngest was 6 months old we got given a drum kit 🙄 recommended age was 3 years and older.
weve recently had a slim kit for over 8s and a pot tea set my child is 3 🤦🏻‍♀️I hate slime she knows this as I have older children and have always said please dont buy slime.
she always forgets my older kids birthdays too.
I'm sure its jealousy as my youngest is the baby of the family.
my mum once got me a colander/drainer for my 18th 🤣 still got it to this day its useful but I could think of better things for your 18th

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I once received a book in a chocolate box (yes you read it right).
The friend is very into saving the world and told me she doesn't wrap present... but it didn't occur to me that it wasn't a box of chocolates..

Only when I got home thinking it was a box of chocolates did I realised she put a book inside the box and it was an odd book about Tuscany.

And I received craps for almost every company Christmas exchange. One year my Secret Santa gifted me 1 FREE lipgloss sample (you can definitely tell it's a gift with purchase).
Another company exchange gift was an ugly pouch (probably something his wife or daughter didn't want)

I'm a believer that a bad gift is worse than no gift.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I can't really class it as the worse gift more like an embarassing one. My mother in law bought me a chemise for my birthday, it was lovely all wrapped up beautifully and presented in a nice box. My father in law didn't know what my MIL (his wife) had bought so when i told him he asked if i would try it on ( dont think he was aware of what a chemise was) , i said yes but only showing my husband. When my FIL eventually saw the chemise he understood why i wouldn't try it on and show them.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I once received a book in a chocolate box (yes you read it right).
The friend is very into saving the world and told me she doesn't wrap present... but it didn't occur to me that it wasn't a box of chocolates..

Only when I got home thinking it was a box of chocolates did I realised she put a book inside the box and it was an odd book about Tuscany.

And I received craps for almost every company Christmas exchange. One year my Secret Santa gifted me 1 FREE lipgloss sample (you can definitely tell it's a gift with purchase).
Another company exchange gift was an ugly pouch (probably something his wife or daughter didn't want)

I'm a believer that a bad gift is worse than no gift.
Sorry, I had to chuckle, I'm so tired I read this as you got the chocolate book that lists the chocolates in the box without the chocolates. I totally agree though, I would seriously rather no gift especially if someone can't really afford it. I don't give to receive but even if I'm skint I will always put thought into a gift otherwise to me it's wasteful!

Reactions: 5
Omg I love this thread! Had to join in!
So a few years back I was with a guy who had a lovely (albeit slightly eccentric) mum. For my birthday she popped around with a massive box full of lovely wrapped presents. As I started opening each present my enthusiasm and gratefulness began to be replaced by a “wtf” face.
She had bought and wrapped up all separately including baking tray,flour and golden syrup all the ingredients to make flapjack 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ To this day I have absolutely no clue why.....

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Omg I love this thread! Had to join in!
So a few years back I was with a guy who had a lovely (albeit slightly eccentric) mum. For my birthday she popped around with a massive box full of lovely wrapped presents. As I started opening each present my enthusiasm and gratefulness began to be replaced by a “wtf” face.
She had bought and wrapped up all separately including baking tray,flour and golden syrup all the ingredients to make flapjack 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ To this day I have absolutely no clue why.....
Did you make the flapjack? 😂😂🙌😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My grandma once got me a line dancing instruction video as I would always preform the dance to 5 6 7 8 by steps when I was at her house so she thought I wanted to learn more 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Secret Santa this year I got a shower gel and perfume set from Poundland (with the reduced to 50p sticker still on) and a plastic pink mug that said ‘pretty princess’ on 😷

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Sorry, I had to chuckle, I'm so tired I read this as you got the chocolate book that lists the chocolates in the box without the chocolates. I totally agree though, I would seriously rather no gift especially if someone can't really afford it. I don't give to receive but even if I'm skint I will always put thought into a gift otherwise to me it's wasteful!
Hahaha but it was absolutely disappointing when I opened the box. That was about 10 years ago and I still remember it!

Speaking of gifts... last Christmas one of my colleagues asked another (well known miser) lady where's her Christmas present (jokingly).

The miser sent her a Christian blessing message via whatsapp with a long paragraph of she don't believe in gifting meaningless gifts.

I agree with not gifting horrible stuff but we had a good rolling of our eyes because she's a miser to anyone other than her son.

She readily receives anything anyone gift to her but never ever gift anything in return.

Part of her message
20200219_163428.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I had a matching outfit from QVC from my Mum once. It had applique cats on the front of the top and cut off pastel matching trousers. I was 25

• Haha
Reactions: 11
When I was in my early 20s my Dad said I haven't got you anything for your birthday or christmas (they're days apart), because you've had a few meals at mine this year and you still owe me £6 for your chinese last week so you've had your presents.

King amongst men my father.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
When I was in my early 20s my Dad said I haven't got you anything for your birthday or christmas (they're days apart), because you've had a few meals at mine this year and you still owe me £6 for your chinese last week so you've had your presents.

King amongst men my father.
My mum got my two brand new leather sofas when we moved into my first house. This was 10 years ago now. Still grateful. However, every single xmas and birthday she says "Not got you much because I'm still paying them sofas off" my step dad pisses him self every time and give me some cash. Shes tight af. (They are very well off, just tight) Just makes us chuckle every time. Still abit more than a chinese 😆

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Not me but one Valentines my mates husband bought her a deep fat fryer. Trouble is it was second hand and smelled badly of old fish. He’d got it off someone in the pub for a tenner.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
2 pirate dvds from Thailand from a relative who went travelling there for three months - I had never asked for them not expressed interest in the films

• Haha
Reactions: 6