What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The 1st Christmas I was with my now husband he bought me a jumper with big wolves on it ,it was foul !! I wore it Christmas day ,when my niece and her family came for dinner I was in the kitchen she came in and said "WTH are you wearing ?" We had to go outside as we were in tears with laughing ,needless to say the 1st time I washed it I "accidentally" washed it on a boil wash !!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Anything from the MIL, or I just don't get anything and everyone else does.

What's worse is that when she does decide to gift me something she deliberately spells my name wrong on the tag. I've been with her son for over 20 years, have a pretty common name, oh that's right, that is the SAME AS HER DAUGHTER'S.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
I've been with her son for over 20 years, have a pretty common name, oh that's right, that is the SAME AS HER DAUGHTER'S.
Speaking of names, I didn't change mine when I got married which bothers MIL no end.
Just to be petty, anytime she sends a card she addresses it with just my husband's surname or if she's being really bitchy, she'll address it to: myfirstname hissurname.

I usually have a good old cackle as I file it away.

In the shredder 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Speaking of names, I didn't change mine when I got married which bothers MIL no end.
Just to be petty, anytime she sends a card she addresses it with just my husband's surname or if she's being really bitchy, she'll address it to: myfirstname hissurname.

I usually have a good old cackle as I file it away.

In the shredder 😂
Haha I'm the same . We don't talk anymore cos she's a huge bleep but she used to send my birthday card as Mrs their surname when I'm Dr my own name. Hilarious

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
When inflatable furniture was all the rage in the 90s my nan got me an inflatable cushion with some feathers in it. My dad said it looked like she'd shoved a dead bird in a balloon 😂

My friend gave me a set of wine glasses when I don't drink wine. I'm sure she just got them so she could drink wine in a wine glass when at my house.

Another friend gifted me a load of skincare when my skin is notoriously sensitive and I'm allergic to most high street skincare. She's usually amazing at presents so I was rather disappointed!

Reactions: 6
I once got a card for me addressed to Mrs Hisfirstname Hissurname :rolleyes:
My in laws do this and it really annoys me, I'm like no I took the last name not the whole bloody name! Not sure is it's an old fashioned thing 🤷‍♀️

My sil is notoriously know for getting tit presents I'm pretty sure she does it on purpose and to try get a reaction the narcissist witch. I once got wellies off her and then a few years ago she got me these shoes that were like black trainers but they had a wedge inside them bleeping vile things, then for christmas she got me some black boots I opened them and though oh they aren't bad then turned them around and they had bright red flowers embroidered all down one side of them really not me and she knew it, she's really taken the piss when it's come to the husbands presents he's had, a womans coat, a pair of shoes that were 2 sizes to small for him, a pair of bright yellow trainer with black polka dots (they were so him apparently 😶) and a fluorescent pair of converse you literally could see them from the moon. Think she has a think about bleeping shoes now looking at the list 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
My in laws do this and it really annoys me, I'm like no I took the last name not the whole bloody name! Not sure is it's an old fashioned thing 🤷‍♀️
I didn't take any of my husband's name so I really think MIL does it just to be childish.
Until recently my neighbours of about 5 years thought we were called the 'my surname' couple because they didn't realise that my husband and I have different names.

That caused a bit of confusion all round. The husband of the other couple saying to my husband "So you're not actually called 'John' Hersurname" while completely confused 😂
*John's not his real name obviously.

Reactions: 3
Out of date biscuits like by a year
And kids pjs size 7 to 8 at age 13 or 14

Reactions: 2
MiL gave me a half used box of cling film one xmas. In the past she's given me one pasta plate, a well used wok with the remains of the last meal in it, and easter egg at xmas after she's already eaten the contents. She has photo corner in her flat with all the family there except me.
Oh wow... these have to be the absolute worst, quite a statement in a thread that could be renamed “spectacularly mean and/or passive aggressive gifts from your mother in law through the years”

a Janet Jackson cd
I did enjoy this one too. Could you provide a rough date for an idea of just how crap a gift this was? Because I feel like a Janet Jackson cd in say 1999 would be worth more (symbolically) than in 2015 due to availability of music to listen to, popularity of cds , relevance of Janet Jackson... You say you didn’t own a CD player which may be a bit of a clue ..

A night in a premier inn for my 30th as I’d asked for a spa break....I will never ever let my husband live that down 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Use to work with a lady who was due to retire, the Christmas before she left she gave me a jar of brandy butter that had already been opened! 🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
MiL gave me a half used box of cling film one xmas. In the past she's given me one pasta plate, a well used wok with the remains of the last meal in it, and easter egg at xmas after she's already eaten the contents. She has photo corner in her flat with all the family there except me.
In a way it's liberating, she dislikes me that much she has never visited our house after a move. Been here since 2007 so I see that as a bonus. SiL has moved 4 times and she always finds her way to her.

In a way it's liberating, she dislikes me that much she has never visited our house after a move. Been here since 2007 so I see that as a bonus. SiL has moved 4 times and she always finds her way to her.
My MIL has photos of everyone except me too ☹

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Worst presents I can think of.....

• One year on works secret santa I got a set of 3 used make up bags which were thick with dust & smelled of smoke. She had made the effort to half put the ribbon that must have come with the bags back round them but that wasn't disguising the fact they were used looool. The smell of smoke was so strong I got in the car with the present & my OH thought I'd just had a cigarette. Safe to say they went straight in the outside bin. Was soo disappointed as my work is notorious for doing really thoughtful secret santa presents.
  • My ex's mum got me a dusty bottle of Southern Comfort (that I'd seen numerous times in their pantry, I didn't mind so much but at least wipe the dust off) & a thong which was reduced to 50p from Asda & at least 2 sizes too big (wrapped up with the southern comfort). Come to think of it, she loved the reduced aisle at asda & she'd always get me such random bits, I wish I remembered other stuff but it was so long ago now. Tbh I think she was doing it to be kind but a lot of it was just useless stuff that I'd never use so to me it was wasteful.

• Wow
An encyclopedia of birds.

I was about 7. My auntie got it for me, from that day on I knew she didn't really like me. Lol.