West End Gossip #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I saw the Wizard of Oz matinee yesterday in Manchester (enjoyed it but didn’t love it) and there were lots of young school groups in the audience. It just felt so wrong to have someone sat chugging a pint or a glass of wine (and an actual glass glass too, not a plastic on) while sat right beside a group of ten year olds in uniform. A bottle of water or even a soft drink I can cope with but I don’t see the need for alcohol during any theatre show - if you can’t wait an hour to an interval for a glass of wine or a beer then there’s something wrong. I understand people are going to enjoy themselves and the show may be part of a celebration or wider afternoon/night out but have your alcohol before or after.

Reactions: 5
Shame you didn't enjoy ST. We absolutely loved it and seeing it again with better seats in a couple of weeks.
Yeah, I just checked my Stranger Things ticket and to be fair I did only pay £35 for it, in the rear stalls. There were a couple of scenes where I couldn't see the top of the stage and the dialogue was all quiet throughout so maybe it's a show where a better seat is important for enjoying it more. There did still seem to be a lot of scenes in the school and the diner that just dragged on and didn't seem to go anywhere once they'd established that the family were new in town. Stalls were good for the magical smoke effects though and when the scientists came through in their hazmat suits.

I've never actually watched the TV show or know much about it, I was told that since the stage show is a prequel you don't need to know anything about the TV show, but I watched all the trailers for the TV seasons last night and it looked like there were quite a few clever "forward references" in the stage show to stuff that has been in the TV show, which would explain why people were clapping certain things a lot.

I'll probably keep entering the Todaytix lottery each week and if I get a chance to buy one of the £19.59 shadow seats I'll go and give it another look from a different angle. I have actually "won" those twice but they literally give "winners" half an hour to buy and I've been driving both times so the chance was missed :mad:

My next show is Minority Report at the Lyric in Hammersmith, the pictures of the set look epic, the trailer a little less so, but still excited to see that next week!

Reactions: 2
Yes we were right against the walls in the stalls. We panicked when tickets became available last year and took first available not realising they were restricted. Yes we missed a lot of the stuff that happened above the stage but as you say we were up close to the guys in the hazmat suits. Henry walked right past me after he spat at Brenner. The sheer anger and spit still hanging from his chin 😱Such a fantastic actor. We are up in the first row of upper circle so looking forward to seeing it from a different perspective.

Hope you get lucky re ticket lottery 😃👍

Reactions: 1
I’ll never understand why theatres sell popcorn and crisps. I saw Back to the Future recently and had the added sound effects crunch crunch crunch from the audience.
I was going to say the same thing and also about Back to the Future. Plus the smell of the popcorn is awful too

I've got tickets for the end of June. Not sure what to expect, I'm not a huge fan of non musical films turned into musicals but I'm very easily persuaded 😂
I enjoyed the movie, which in my opinion stars Auli'i Cravalho and Jaquel Spivey. I think the songs are broadly the same, so have half decent hopes

He is one big cringe.

No wonder he never gets cast, no dressing room could house his ego
He was sitting near me at a show that I went to see a few months ago. Seemed nice enough, but was definitely in love with himself and seemed to be in a long term relationship with self tan/tanning bed. He kept looking around, almost as if he was expecting someone to recognise and approach him. My fiance asked if I wanted to say something and I said no way.

Reactions: 3
He was sitting near me at a show that I went to see a few months ago. Seemed nice enough, but was definitely in love with himself and seemed to be in a long term relationship with self tan/tanning bed. He kept looking around, almost as if he was expecting someone to recognise and approach him. My fiance asked if I wanted to say something and I said no way.
Yeah no one could love him more than he loves himself. Amazing ego considering how little he has really done

Yeah no one could love him more than he loves himself. Amazing ego considering how little he has really done
I have to admit, some of his friends didn’t seem to amused by him. They kept wandering off and it was like he was the self appointed leader of the group.

I have to admit, some of his friends didn’t seem to amused by him. They kept wandering off and it was like he was the self appointed leader of the group.
That's interesting. The friendship group he has (that I've seen, such as CHF) has always been a bit of a red flag to me. But that could be a small part of his friends tbf.

That's interesting. The friendship group he has (that I've seen, such as CHF) has always been a bit of a red flag to me. But that could be a small part of his friends tbf.
They’ve always been a red flag too. There were about 5 or 6 of them in total, and several just kept walking off, then came back. Rob kept pushing his way through people and seemingly had to stand in the centre every time.

What has he done really apart from Les Mis and then a bunch of concerts, most of which he cast himself in?

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Wow that’s unacceptable. At The Little Big Things towards the last three months the stage door got crazy and in the end they put barriers up as the performers weren’t even able to exit the doorway. I walked past it a few times. Never did it.

I think some people expect the actors to come out and stage door. Most probably do and enjoy it without incident but being grabbed is kind of worrying.

I think JLG has had similar chaos at stage doors?

I saw the Wizard of Oz matinee yesterday in Manchester (enjoyed it but didn’t love it) and there were lots of young school groups in the audience. It just felt so wrong to have someone sat chugging a pint or a glass of wine (and an actual glass glass too, not a plastic on) while sat right beside a group of ten year olds in uniform. A bottle of water or even a soft drink I can cope with but I don’t see the need for alcohol during any theatre show - if you can’t wait an hour to an interval for a glass of wine or a beer then there’s something wrong. I understand people are going to enjoy themselves and the show may be part of a celebration or wider afternoon/night out but have your alcohol before or after.
TOTALLY AGREE!!! And sorry for shouting.

It does my head in having to sit in puddles of spilt booze in the theatre.

A few years ago at an Abba tribute, the eejits behind us were 3 sheets to the wind when they arrived. They were talking and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Near the end of the first half, the band were encouraging people to get up to dance. The 2 eejits got up, drinks in hand. The lassie sitting next to my mum and told eejit no 1 to put her drink down. She swapped hands and drenched the lassie sitting next to her!!! Lassie had a learning disability and got really distressed.

The stewards pulled out the eejits and there was much discussion till the eejits went on their way.

They reappeared for the second half with more booze!!! I complained to the stewards, to be told they must have went to another bar in the theatre and there was nothing they could do!!!

They started arguing with each other in the second half and weren't talking to each by the end of the show!!!

And!!! When I was in the queue for the ice cream, 2 women were talking, saying it was ridiculous that the stewards were talking to the 2 eejits 'cos they were just enjoying themselves' I put them right!!!

It's fecking mental!!!

The Glasgow Pavilion and Concert hall didn't allow alcohol in the auditorium until recently. The concert hall wouldn't even let you take a bottle of coke - water was all that was allowed.

Now, both are like pubs. The concert hall even keeps the bar open during the show, so people are in and out all fecking night!!!

I genuinely don't understand why people go to the theatre to drink/talk. Sit in the fecking hoose and do it for free!!!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I think that’s why I didn’t enjoy Choir of Man (as talented as the performers are) but the rowdy crowd was too much for me