Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mark81

VIP Member
Saw Come From Away tour this week. WOW!! What a show!! Haven't loved a show like this in many years. Preferred it to the hyped Hamilton tbh

• Heart
Reactions: 7

lilyannrose

VIP Member
It looks atrociously bad to me. Worse than a sixth form college project. What have they done to the costumes? Why do they look more like space worms than trains?

I knew it was going to be a "new" production, so I've kept an open mind as much as possible. But when you compare the clips doing the rounds on Youtube and TikTok to the productions of the 1990s and 1980s, oh how the mighty have fallen. What an absolute shame. Because even on a budget in a smaller theatre you can do better than that but someone wanted this to be the next Six and so we've got... this.

I am so grateful I saw the show at the Apollo Victoria in the early 00s before it closed. I will never forget it, it was utterly mesmerising. Also tickets were affordable and I had the best seats both times. I feel for people not getting to experience theatre like that.
---
I haven’t watched his video, but I read elsewhere that he was at the invited dress, which is why he was able to get a video up so early
I did wonder, it seems impossible otherwise.
---
Political correctness and wokery gone too far. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
To a point I've got no issue with older shows updating their books/lyrics when it would be jarring for the older content to still be there.

Poppa becoming Mama is the change that pissed me off most of all. Just shameless box ticking and no more than that. Poppa was such a beautifully rich role for a black male actor/singer and as someone said those are still quite rare in theatre. I also just personally would not be as moved by the songs with them sung in a female voice, it is the worst kind of change for change's sake and virtue points incident.

In all, I've found Starllight Express a let down for many years. Even the Bochum production has been ruined with things like the above, terrible costume changes and constant tinkering with lyrics and characters.

Update stuff when it makes sense, sure, but I weep at what's happened to Starlight since the 2010s or so.
---
I believe the change to Ashley thr Smoking Car was due to the smoking ban being brought in for the UK.

And if I remember correctly, they had managed to get Reva Rice to sign on to do the Bochum shows hence the change from Poppa to Momma.

I did watch some of Mickey Jo Theatre's blog, I don't mind the gender changes (I didn't see the show in the 80s because I'm too young but did manage to see the show before it closed on the west end the first time). If a simple gender change offends y'all and if Mickey Jo Theatre is correct in the other character changes he's mention then maybe the revival of the show isn't something you wish to go and see.
Not "offended" in the least. I just think the Poppa to Mama thing specifically is utterly pointless and takes something away from those songs and the mentor/student relationship between Poppa and Rusty. Just my personal opinion. But it's laughable to suggest someone is "offended" because they don't like a thing or wonder how it will work.
---
(I really hate the way this forum handles someone adding new comments to the threads - I'd hate to think people "like" a post I make because they initially agree, then their "like" is still there when I've added to it and they might no longer agree... Tattle is the only forum I've seen that handles people posting multipile times in one thread this way, it's awful)
---
(I really hate the way this forum handles someone adding new comments to the threads - I'd hate to think people "like" a post I make because they initially agree, then their "like" is still there when I've added to it and they might no longer agree... Tattle is the only forum I've seen that handles people posting multipile times in one thread this way, it's awful)

Last edited:

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
I have just been to see Two Strangers ( carry a cake across New York) it was fabulous. What a great duo Sam and Dujonna are. If you get a chance go and see it.

• Heart

Mark81

VIP Member
I do like that you can take a drink into the theatre these days (I swigged too many interval wines in record time in the past as you couldn't take them back in with you) but I agree about the noisy food. When I was a kid it was strictly an ice cream in the interval only, you would never have dreamt at eating food in the auditorium. My Dad (massive theatre goer/bit of a thespian!!) would have been horrified if I had produced a packet of crisps (or anyone around him) and would have removed them from me promptly.
See that's one I'm dead against. I hate how people now swish about with full cups, tipping them.dangerously over the row in front as they try to get passed. Plus it just adds to alcohol fuelled behaviour.

I don't have anything against sweets in theatre as long as you open bag at the start. Agree on crisps and pop corn.

Perfumes and aftershaves are another annoyance if you've doused yourself in them.

BingoFlamingo

VIP Member
I don't visit the other forum but I think "fandoms" in general are full of these competitive sniffy types. They like to be the ones that know the most, have seen the most, are closest to whoever it is being discussed etc. Twas ever thus.
Sounds like those Swifties 🤣 (so sick of TS content in my instagram feed!)

• Heart

lilyannrose

VIP Member
As far as I understand it, you now have to enter a ballot to get the chance to book tickets for the Monday-Thursday shows and every seat is £90??

Very happy to be corrected by someone who is more au fait with what’s happening/can shed any other light!
There goes me ever even thinking of trying to see this show.

I despise ballot entries for anything but for theatre it's especially enraging. First come first served means that people who at least really want to see a show have a fair shot.

Theatre behaving like this is why I have come to rely on bootlegs and don't feel the slightest bit sorry. It's not the same as experiencing a hsow in person but at least I still get to see it and don't have to deal with such disgusting eltist gatekeeping.

Mark81

VIP Member
I get what you're saying about not mentioning weight, but what doesn't sit so well with me is this is Wicked. A show adored mostly by young impressionable girls, and a story that is meant to be about inclusiveness, about being yourself and being different. Having someone around a size zero as one of the leads just seems to go against the ethos of the story, and seems very dated.

Plus, weight aside, her face has an almost alien look to it that stands out amongst everyone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Mark81

VIP Member
There goes me ever even thinking of trying to see this show.

I despise ballot entries for anything but for theatre it's especially enraging. First come first served means that people who at least really want to see a show have a fair shot.

Theatre behaving like this is why I have come to rely on bootlegs and don't feel the slightest bit sorry. It's not the same as experiencing a hsow in person but at least I still get to see it and don't have to deal with such disgusting eltist gatekeeping.
Ballots also heavily favour locals

Mark81

VIP Member
Does anyone follow, or seen, the Shaun Tossell/Theatre Fan blog?

Its such an odd, bordering pointless blog. Majority of his stuff he takes from online forums, constantly uses 'has been rumoured' with no insight into sources or how the rumours came about. And then yesterday he hilariously posts about a Moulin rouge uk and international tour that the show itself confirmed almost a week ago. It's almost like a parody of a bad blog at this point.

• Haha
This seems to have taken ages to come to trial

He was part of london theatre scene for quite a while in wwry etc

I know him well, have him on fb and insta (although that’s public) - keeps posting how he’s innocent etc and not to believe it all. His dad is high up lawyer so I expect his defence to be pretty amazing. But I’m following it closely and will go to court next week

• Wow

DrNooo

Ok I’m just back from seeing the second preview of Starlight. Saw the original in the 80s and the Bochum production last year and was approaching this with some trepidation due to the way in which it’s already been changed (such as the Poppa/Momma thing already discussed) but I’m relieved to say I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting and I am pleased that they haven’t ruined it even more. I had a £98 seat in the “Platform” area which was inside the race tracks, I am glad I didn’t have a non-rotating seat in the even more expensive bit as I don’t think it would be worth the money, and will probably go again and see it from a cheap seat at some point. I’d agree that the racing seemed a bit tame compared to Bochum but I guess it’s inevitable with a newer cast, one of the engines (Hydra) stood out as a more capable skater and I found out afterwards he’s already been in the German production so I think with time the skating might get a bit slicker. Considering it’s a very inexperienced cast with many making their professional debuts, it was definitely not the borderline amateur-feeling production that some have labelled it as. There were a couple of missed cues and some looked a little unsure of their places on stage but that’s to be expected for an early preview. A few initial thoughts on some of the changes below (contains spoilers).
The role of the child playing Control who was just a voice in other productions has been promoted to a full character who is present on stage for much of the show. Actually worked really well and reinforced the premise that the show is taking place in a child’s imagination.
Greaseball is played by a female which I don’t think was necessary and doesn’t really work. No disrespect to the person playing her who did a good enough job technically but the character doesn’t have the same impact. Also having to call her a B A S T A R D during “Uncoupled” feels wrong as it’s generally not a term directed at women (I guess they couldn’t find a way to change it to B I T C H).
The engines and carriages have less-individualised costumes and hence identities compared to the original and Bochum.
Electra is officially non-binary and repeatedly referred to as they/them, absolutely no problem with this as fits the character, they’ve also managed to make their costume even camper with some funky inflatable bits which I appreciated.
“He’ll Whistle At Me” is still in but has been changed to lecture on the inappropriateness in todays society of whistling at women, sort of funny actually and lots of eye rolling from all of us who saw the original version.

Frances

Yes it was quite crazy and big crowd. I stood away from it all there was a lot going on! Traffic and people still walking through so lots of security blokes managing crowd etc. Luckily didn't wait long TH came out within 20 mins of show ending. But yes thank-you it was a really lovely time and son is verrrry happy!

• Heart

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I’ve seen too many shows with screens this spring. Yes, lucky me to have gone, but just because you can do something it doesn’t need to be done. Going to see Romeo & Juliet in 2 weeks.
same. ngl, i really enjoyed the use of it in sunset (especially with the whole walk down the strand into the theatre) - it was effective and worked with the material. but, beyond that, like you say just because you can doesn’t mean you should!

i also don’t know what more can be done with romeo & juliet in general though. i’ve seen so many productions of it over the years and (while it’s an iconic play) you can only try to adapt it so much. i’d rather see other shakespeares get the exposure!

RedFlagsAhoy

I’ll never understand why theatres sell popcorn and crisps. I saw Back to the Future recently and had the added sound effects crunch crunch crunch from the audience.
I had an atrocious experience at BTTF - had used a theatre token to sit front stalls and was joined by a straight couple who got drunker and louder as the show progressed.
The guy started filming(!!!) the beginning of Act II and his date became so drunk she was laughing a good 3-4 seconds after the rest of the audience, over the next lines of dialogue… was praying the cast didn’t think I was with them 🙃

• Wow
  • Sad