West End Gossip #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Laytons not all that much better tbh in terms of attitude. But he hides it better

I just wish Jamie cast people who can sing the score. None of them ever have been great vocally

Reactions: 1
Laytons not all that much better tbh in terms of attitude. But he hides it better

I just wish Jamie cast people who can sing the score. None of them ever have been great vocally
Layton has always struck me as having a bit of a ‘tude. I can’t explain it, but it’s just always been a feeling.

Reactions: 6
I booked months ahead for the first time I saw it with Eddie Redmayne, when it was "fresh" and highly anticipated and discussed everywhere. Since then I just enter the todaytix lottery every day I'm heading to London for work or whatever and occasionally it comes up, and that's how I've seen it the later times, i.e. I've not got excited about wanting to see particular persons, just taken what I've been given. Didn't know anything about MAP before I saw their performance but was blown away. Just seemed so effortless and beautifully understated compared to Eddie and others.

It's a nice lottery because it's "same day", not "week after next" like the Hamilton and other ones, when I never know where I am one week ahead let alone two!
Same as me - Cabaret has been a favourite since I was a kid and as soon as this was announced I got tickets for Eddie.

then later had no idea who MAP was when I got lottery tickets in June (actually exactly a year ago today) and it was so goo I went again in September non-lottery tickets. Both times Maude Apatow was not performing and we had Emily Benjamin who was great.

The title alone seems so outdated.
It reminds me of a gcse drama piece (a really bad one with the kids who took it to doss around in)

Or they’ve been given a deadline to create something on a parr 😜 with Six (which I do love) They panicked, couldn’t think of anything, so when they had to give their synopsis idea, they just said “relationships”.

I think it might start off selling well, as Six was such a huge success, people will buy knowing who it’s written by, especially due hard core six fans as Leesa is in it. I think it won’t stay the full run. If it wasn’t written by Lucy and Toby, there’s no way it would have made it this far. I also find Jo Fosters character very irritating

Reactions: 4
It reminds me of a gcse drama piece (a really bad one with the kids who took it to doss around in)

Or they’ve been given a deadline to create something on a parr 😜 with Six (which I do love) They panicked, couldn’t think of anything, so when they had to give their synopsis idea, they just said “relationships”.

I think it might start off selling well, as Six was such a huge success, people will buy knowing who it’s written by, especially due hard core six fans as Leesa is in it. I think it won’t stay the full run. If it wasn’t written by Lucy and Toby, there’s no way it would have made it this far. I also find Jo Fosters character very irritating
I feel that they are trying to capture lightning in a bottle for the second time and it’s not gonna happen.

To be fair, it's not my sort of thing anyway but Why Am I So Single was horrendously bad at WEL. I feel sorry for the peformers, I don't think anyone could save that material. It's like a really embarrassing relic dug up from the mid-late 1990s and while 90s nostalgia has been popular lately, I fear the powers that be behind WAISS have tapped into the wrong bits of it that nobody remembers fondly!

Reactions: 4
To be fair, it's not my sort of thing anyway but Why Am I So Single was horrendously bad at WEL. I feel sorry for the peformers, I don't think anyone could save that material. It's like a really embarrassing relic dug up from the mid-late 1990s and while 90s nostalgia has been popular lately, I fear the powers that be behind WAISS have tapped into the wrong bits of it that nobody remembers fondly!
I'm annoyed that I bought a matinee ticket for this in the presale on the basis that I like seeing new shows, but currently about 2 minutes into watching the West End Live extract and it's annoying me already. True, I'm probably at least 20 years older than the target audience but it's so grating and so I've booked to see Hello Dolly for the same evening to cleanse my ears.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Went to see Starlight Express at the weekend. Went with an open mind but it’s difficult to be unbiased when you’ve seen it so many times previously.

To be honest I found the production somewhat amateurish and not to the standard of an (off) west end show. It felt too diluted with the races resembling a conga line which were slow and underwhelming. The “crashes" appeared unnatural and overly orchestrated too, although this was possibly due to my close seating.

The costumes were also disappointing lacking character differentiation. My main issue though was the unnecessary change to Greaseball. The problem wasn’t the gender switch but changes to the character itself. The former cocky Elvis/Danny Zuko-esque jock was replaced by a character who just shouted throughout in a punk wig and lacklustre outfit, playing the role as a screaming bully devoid of Greaseball's previous, err, charm?!

On a positive note Rusty, Pearl, Electra and Dinah were great, although I was puzzled by the decision to change Dinah’s country and western persona as the London accent felt out of place during Uncoupled. The skate marshals were a highlight providing the tricks and wow moments and the lighting/SFX was great.

If you’re planning on going I recommend sitting at the back for a better view. The first class carriage seats at £150 each are not worth it as you spend most of the time looking around to find the actors and have a side view far too often.

For me it fell short. I’d be satisfied if it was part of a luxury cruise ship’s entertainment but not good enough for a west end production where tickets are ludicrously expensive. I’m curious to see the press reviews after the 30th.

Just my opinion of course and I hope you enjoy it if you do decide to go!

(I wouldn’t dare write this on Theatreboards!) 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Went to see Starlight Express at the weekend. Went with an open mind but it’s difficult to be unbiased when you’ve seen it so many times previously.

To be honest I found the production somewhat amateurish and not to the standard of an (off) west end show. It felt too diluted with the races resembling a conga line which were slow and underwhelming. The “crashes" appeared unnatural and overly orchestrated too, although this was possibly due to my close seating.

The costumes were also disappointing lacking character differentiation. My main issue though was the unnecessary change to Greaseball. The problem wasn’t the gender switch but changes to the character itself. The former cocky Elvis/Danny Zuko-esque jock was replaced by a character who just shouted throughout in a punk wig and lacklustre outfit, playing the role as a screaming bully devoid of Greaseball's previous, err, charm?!

On a positive note Rusty, Pearl, Electra and Dinah were great, although I was puzzled by the decision to change Dinah’s country and western persona as the London accent felt out of place during Uncoupled. The skate marshals were a highlight providing the tricks and wow moments and the lighting/SFX was great.

If you’re planning on going I recommend sitting at the back for a better view. The first class carriage seats at £150 each are not worth it as you spend most of the time looking around to find the actors and have a side view far too often.

For me it fell short. I’d be satisfied if it was part of a luxury cruise ship’s entertainment but not good enough for a west end production where tickets are ludicrously expensive. I’m curious to see the press reviews after the 30th.

Just my opinion of course and I hope you enjoy it if you do decide to go!

(I wouldn’t dare write this on Theatreboards!) 😄
(OMG, do not let ceebee see this post!!!)

Greaseball in the male incarnation never came across as a problem to me because it was all done with a very obvious wink to the audience. I'm sick of this culture where everything has to be played absolutely safe in case someone cries about it on X. It's creating such bland tripe in the storytelling mediums.

I can't wrap my head around Dinah being a Londoner now? What? Why would they even think to change her character that much?

I am so glad I never booked for this. I'll cling to memories of the original and save some time and money. Not against stuff being reimagined - I've seen it done pretty well at times like Carousel having the setting moved from the 1800s to the 1940s and in some productions having a Black actor play Billy, for example... and Miss Saigon with a female Engineer recently worked surprisngly well - but a lot of the time when things are reimagined it is done in the most trite way possible and that's a massive shame.

• Heart
Hercules announced for Theatre Royal Drury Lane. One of my favourite disney movies so excited, although cautious after mixed reaction of previous productions

Hercules announced for Theatre Royal Drury Lane. One of my favourite disney movies so excited, although cautious after mixed reaction of previous productions
I love the Disney film so much I'm not sure I could detatch from it enough to enjoy inevitible changes for a stage production... much like how I feel toward og Starlight Express, Les Miserables and Phantom.

Reactions: 2