Weird Phobias

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a bit of a fear about mirrors. It’s probably not a full on phobia though as I can still look into a mirror I just don’t like looking when it’s dark or if I’m not prepared. I was waiting in a shop the other day for them to bring my click and collect order and the lift opened and there was a mirror inside the lift. Made me uncomfortable.
I’m also scared of the foam pit things that you get at trampoline places. I swear there must be dead bodies in there!
Also not a fan of tweedle dee and tweedle dum after they chased me in Disneyland 😂

Reactions: 3
Driving under motorway bridges when there's people stood on them. I always think they're going to throw a brick or concrete block on my car.

Dams. All that potential energy is scary.

Deep, dark water.

The nightmare that is Lady Bower reservoir. The triple combo of deep, dark water, a dam...and this horrifying feature...

View attachment 1918539
this terrifies me too!! The mind boggles when I thu j about whats Down that hole 🤯🤯

Feck me I feel normal, I have so many phobias/hates mentioned here, i didn't know how common they were!

I have a phobia/anger of metal/wire hangers (the cheapo one you only get from dry cleaners).
A rational fear - they can injure someone and they could catch on clothes and ruin them.

I hate the sound of fingertips gliding on clothes/material

Reactions: 1
Submarines, aeroplanes that have sunk underwater and shots of whales (especially orcas) in the sea from above make me freak out. Not sure what the name for this is though.
edit- Googled it, it’s called megalohydrothalassophobia- a phobia of large things in deep water. Be cautious when googling though as images come up that are awful.
I have thalassophobia and ichthyophobia. I can swim etc and can happily be on a beach (swimming in the sea I'm not too keen on) but the idea of being on a boat or in a plane and not being able to see any land is my idea of hell. Also can't think too much about the underneath of land and any large land mass that...floats? I can't explain but this photo sums it up:

https://images.immediate.co.uk/prod.../4/2022/07/What-is-thalassophobia-92def0f.jpg < urghhhhhh
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EQPHokuuVgM/maxresdefault.jpg

I don't love looking at detailed maps of the world etc. I detest going through tunnels underwater. I actually think this may have started after going on a boat across the Irish Sea when I was 9 and being in a storm midway. I couldn't see any land, only waves, we couldn't stand up and people were grabbing onto everything for dear life 🤷‍♀️

I saw an eye of a fish my mum got from the fishmongers when I was a child and we both screamed, hence the ichthyophobia. I haven't eaten any seafood since that day. I can now look at fish, but I couldn't for 20+ years.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I have thalassophobia and ichthyophobia. I can swim etc and can happily be on a beach (swimming in the sea I'm not too keen on) but the idea of being on a boat or in a plane and not being able to see any land is my idea of hell. Also can't think too much about the underneath of land and any large land mass that...floats? I can't explain but this photo sums it up:

https://images.immediate.co.uk/prod.../4/2022/07/What-is-thalassophobia-92def0f.jpg < urghhhhhh
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EQPHokuuVgM/maxresdefault.jpg

I don't love looking at detailed maps of the world etc. I detest going through tunnels underwater. I actually think this may have started after going on a boat across the Irish Sea when I was 9 and being in a storm midway. I couldn't see any land, only waves, we couldn't stand up and people were grabbing onto everything for dear life 🤷‍♀️

I saw an eye of a fish my mum got from the fishmongers when I was a child and we both screamed, hence the ichthyophobia. I haven't eaten any seafood since that day. I can now look at fish, but I couldn't for 20+ years.
The reason for these are very interesting aren’t they. I’m happy on a boat or in the sea, it’s just seeing big stuff in the sea that freaks me out.

When I was growing up a local leisure Center had a slide called The Bowl that dropped into a super deep diving pool that had a mesh floor that could move up and down but you couldn’t really make out what was under the floor. It gave me the absolute creeps, not knowing what was underneath. I was also freaked out as a toddler by a sea lion at Bristol zoo diving out of the pool and roaring, I think that hasn’t helped either.

The reason for these are very interesting aren’t they. I’m happy on a boat or in the sea, it’s just seeing big stuff in the sea that freaks me out.

When I was growing up a local leisure Center had a slide called The Bowl that dropped into a super deep diving pool that had a mesh floor that could move up and down but you couldn’t really make out what was under the floor. It gave me the absolute creeps, not knowing what was underneath. I was also freaked out as a toddler by a sea lion at Bristol zoo diving out of the pool and roaring, I think that hasn’t helped either.
Wow, yeah that is interesting! I did Google megalohydrothalassophobia and you're right, the images are horrible. I totally understand your phobia.

I'm afraid of slugs - all kinds, but the naked ones freak me out the most :sick: I very vividly remember seeing one that kind of had a tiger pattern going when having a picnic with my then-boyfriend and we had to leave as I refused to even sit on the blanket anymore.
Another time my boyfriend had to carry me down a part of a road as I literally couldn't walk anymore after the heavy rainfall in the summer and everywhere there were slugs. He still finds it funny but I couldn't help it and he very manly removes anything slug related for me :love:
Can't understand that people would eat this - if I trod on one, I'd probably throw my shoes away, I'm not going to ingest that.

I used to be a competitive swimmer, so water isn't an issue for me - or so I thought, but I can't go in when I can't see the ground. I'm not sure whether that's thalassophobia, but it absolutely gives me the creeps to be in a body of water that isn't see-through. The image above with the big part of the iceberg is also pretty unsettling.

And no weird/uncommon, but heights. Even on TV I get a really nasty feeling on my legs and have to grip the sofa :ROFLMAO:

Bah, thanks, I think I uncovered a new one just now. I read an article that you can go snorkeling in Iceland and touch the American and European continent at the same time while in the water and it freaks me out to no end.

• Sick
Reactions: 1