Weight Loss and Healthy Living #8 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need advice!

I've spent the last few years losing and gaining the same half a stone, through sensible eating, various degrees of 'treats' and mostly out exercising eating a little bit too much.

I reached my lowest weight in years for my wedding last month but since then I just can't seem to stop eating. I've had nutrition coaching previously, I've calorie counted, I've done Joe Wicks but I am my own worst enemy, and as soon as I start to see progress I let things slip, and stop losing.

I don't have a huge amount to lose, but what I need to do is change my relationship with food I think. I know what I should do, I know how/what I should eat to lose weight but can I actually stick to anything? Can I duck.

What I need is to have someone/something to hold me to account... can anyone recommend any coaches/plans they are or have followed?

My biggest issue at the moment is that I had a minor op last week which has me out of action exercise-wise for at least 3 months and between not exercising and comfort eating I know I will balloon if I don't do something to nip it in the bud.

Help!

That sounds like you've had a lot of stress recently.

What are you comfort eating for? That might sound like a daft question with the answer, well, durrr, comfort, you Dragony twit, comfort! - but what is it exactly you are gaining from it?

Is it a warm, sleepy carb feeling? The buzz of a ton of Haribo, E Numbers and chocolate? The feeling that you've been a good girl and good girls get treats? Punishment because you don't deserve to feel and look as good as you did on your Wedding Day? A desperate craving for food because you've not eaten much? Protein for an instinctive attempt to help heal, but it's been mixed up with high fat, high carb, high salt, highly processed stuff? Not mobile enough to shop and cook, so quick, easy and out of a packet? Is it your instincts going mad because you restricted massively in the dieting phase so your head is saying FAMINE'S OVER LADS, LET'S GET THIS DOWN OUR NECKS JUST IN CASE THERE'S ANOTHER ONE SOON?

I'll give an example. Luxury cakes and chocolates are often seen as a treat food. They're high in fat and sugar and carbs on the whole. They also tend to look quite pretty.

But something else can be a treat - something sweet, brightly coloured, attractive and with some fat. But also some vitamins, minerals, calcium and the like. It's also quite expensive for something that tastes nice but isn't actually essential. Now you might laugh or tell me to piss right off - but that something, if you think about it, can also be an absolute treat;

Strawberries
Banana
Blueberries
Nectarines
Passion fruit
Pineapple
Raspberries
Passionfruit

all cut up to look pretty and served with some thick, clotted cream, a drizzle of maple syrup and a scattering of pecans. You'll also likely feel a lot better after eating a ton of that compared to the same weight in Sour Mix. or be a total tosser like me and chuck some edible flowers on top.

A half pounder with cheese, chips, onion rings, a can of Coke and some ice cream can also feel like a treat. A greasy, salty treat. But so can a duck off expensive piece of steak, well seasoned and served with chips with grated Parmesan on top and a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, etc, etc, etc. Or a big old jacket potato with cream cheese, spring onions, beans, more salad....Or a duck breast glazed in some proper marmalade on salad with beetroot and potatoes...Or a high quality burger, salad, mushrooms, egg, good cheese, chips, but no crappy bun that's only there to give you something to hold onto, half pint of mayo and burger sauce to grease it down, double bag of onion rings and then sugary sour drink and some more sweetened lubricant on top...

Those 'treats' that I've suggested are full of nutrition and will fill a hole more effectively than the sicky feeling after a Haribofest, burger blow out, three packets of salt n vinegar, cakes and you're still hungry because you've only had sugar or a cold can of sugar/acid to try and cut through the sensation of grease and salt.

(obviously, if you're vegetarian or vegan you're way out of my expertise - but there is a world of food outside a breadcrumbed meat substitute or cook chill pizza.)

There's also a role for how you see yourself; are you the person who wants cake when you're tired, stressed or unhappy - or could you be the person who craves things that are sweet and light and pretty when you're tired, stressed and unhappy? They're not the same.

How about being the person who nourishes their body with high quality food and their eyes/soul with the brightness of instagram worthy meals and fruits whilst they're healing? Could you be that person? Whose meals look wonderful and are enjoyed throughout, not crammed down in desperation or a sense of their never being quite enough?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I need advice!

I've spent the last few years losing and gaining the same half a stone, through sensible eating, various degrees of 'treats' and mostly out exercising eating a little bit too much.

I reached my lowest weight in years for my wedding last month but since then I just can't seem to stop eating. I've had nutrition coaching previously, I've calorie counted, I've done Joe Wicks but I am my own worst enemy, and as soon as I start to see progress I let things slip, and stop losing.

I don't have a huge amount to lose, but what I need to do is change my relationship with food I think. I know what I should do, I know how/what I should eat to lose weight but can I actually stick to anything? Can I duck.

What I need is to have someone/something to hold me to account... can anyone recommend any coaches/plans they are or have followed?

My biggest issue at the moment is that I had a minor op last week which has me out of action exercise-wise for at least 3 months and between not exercising and comfort eating I know I will balloon if I don't do something to nip it in the bud.

Help!
Haven't you thought about starting consultations with a psychologist? Your problem is a mental one.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Haven't you thought about starting consultations with a psychologist? Your problem is a mental one.
well, that’s harsh.

That sounds like you've had a lot of stress recently.
This is all super helpful. I reward myself, 100%. I am not a big fan of fruit, but I definitely need to be a bit more adventurous with it. Lots for me to thing about, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a long reply! Will digest it properly when I’ve a little more time…

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve had quite a stressful day with my toddler, my husband has come back from the shops with a large bar of my favourite chocolate and part of me wants to binge, part of me wants to stay on track.
The little devil on my shoulder is winning at the moment!!

I’ve had quite a stressful day with my toddler, my husband has come back from the shops with a large bar of my favourite chocolate and part of me wants to binge, part of me wants to stay on track.
The little devil on my shoulder is winning at the moment!!
you can stay on track and have some still! stay in the moment, stay present, have some and put it back 💗

Reactions: 3
Stayed the same this week. I’m resigned to a long hard slog, but I’ve lost 6lbs since the beginning of March, I also did the gym 3 times this week (normally it’s once a week) and when I walked up to the 4th floor of work I wasn’t gasping for air like normal. Turning my mindset away from the scales and looking for other wins is definitely helping me stay on track.
Happy Easter everyone!

Reactions: 7
Almost back at my lowest weight of the year. Still got 1st8lb to go to my initial target but definitely feel like I'm in a good mindset from taking it one day at a time

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Question:

I signed up to parkrun and was going to go with my friend tmw morning. I just texted her and she’s already bailed on me with other plans.
Do some of you go by yourself? I’m not planning on running, just walking. How long does it roughly take to walk and is it weird to turn up by yourself?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: 4
Question:

I signed up to parkrun and was going to go with my friend tmw morning. I just texted her and she’s already bailed on me with other plans.
Do some of you go by yourself? I’m not planning on running, just walking. How long does it roughly take to walk and is it weird to turn up by yourself?

Thanks in advance
Plenty of people walk and you can always just walk round with the tailwalker if you feel lonely. I'd say roughly an hour to walk and that would be a steady pace. I've just walked 4k on 40 at a brisk pace
Meant to say plenty of people go on their own
Our slowest participant comes on her own. Sometimes she walks with the tailwalker, sometimes she cracks on on her own. Everyone is friendly, the people giving out tokens at the end will be cheering you on, the Marshalls will do the same.

Reactions: 5
Plenty of people walk and you can always just walk round with the tailwalker if you feel lonely. I'd say roughly an hour to walk and that would be a steady pace. I've just walked 4k on 40 at a brisk pace
Meant to say plenty of people go on their own
Our slowest participant comes on her own. Sometimes she walks with the tailwalker, sometimes she cracks on on her own. Everyone is friendly, the people giving out tokens at the end will be cheering you on, the Marshalls will do the same.
Thank you 😊 I will feel a bit more confident now going into it

Question:

Thanks in advance
Yes, I’ve always parkrun on my own! Everyone is super friendly, and like the other poster said there K’s always the tailwalker.
If you walk at not a dawdle, an hour maybe a little under is the sort of time you’d be looking at

Question:

Thanks in advance
I've done it a few times on my own, some walking some running. I'm lucky that my local ones are along a river or round a lake so I just enjoy the quiet and still when I'm really alone, and cheer on the faster ones as they make their way back past me!

There is usually a 'first timers' briefing, both for complete newbies and 'tourists' to that particular park run. They will explain the route, any potential hazards (Generally fisher men for us!) and wish you luck!

Have fun!

Rejoining after completely falling from a great height off the bandwagon! I was feeling so good and eating really well and then started eating about two chocolate bars a day, and less healthy dinners. My digestion is a mess.

I think the key is that I need various healthy yet flavourful dinners at hand so I don’t end up getting bored and eating crap.

I feel really flabby and crap right now!

Reactions: 2
You're going to love it and hopefully make it part of your Saturday. I like the fact it gets me up and out early.
Don't forget to let us know how you get on. By coming back on here you'll almost certainly encourage others on here to give it a go

Reactions: 6
I go myself most of the time and there’s usually a lot of solo runners/walkers there. I haven’t been for ages but I’m going to go tomorrow. First time properly running since having Covid last month so will probably be more walking than running but it’s the getting out there that counts. You are already doing more than the people still in their beds just by turning up ☺

Don’t forget to have fun and let us know how you get on!

Reactions: 3
I had my first protein shake for dinner today and overestimated myself…I’m so full now 🤣 Actually managed not to eat any rubbish today and work out/walk or run 5+ miles every day this week, hopefully won’t be long until I see the results! Will be measuring during the weekend.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.