Vonny Leclerc #2 It’s a Von Trap!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow @passthecanapes you really kept receipts there. It must be very frustrating to have a painful history and a genuine community used as a tool for personal advancement.

I went to Israel with work a few years ago and took a few days extra to visit Jerusalem, and it’s a really fascinating place (and I loved the food).

I hope Vonny realises the hurt she causes with this, though I suspect she can’t and may be too far gone with it.

Reactions: 5
Started out as a Catholic, became an atheist raising her kids as "godless heathens" and stated that "organised religion is out of step with modern Scotland and in time for when antisemitism was being discussed nationally wrote about the travails of being a Jew in 2019 Britain. It's mince.

Conversion to Judaism via the progressive movements takes around 18 months. You have to go through the entire year of the Jewish calendar and study Hebrew, learn about all the facets of Jewish life in classes and then go on to have an interview with the Beit Din (religious court of three rabbis) of the movement, get circumcised if you're a man and go to the mikveh (ritual bath) to complete a rite known as tevilah (ritual immersion). That's pretty intense, and for the Orthodox you also have to live with a Jewish family in Golders Green to learn about being Jewish and commit to all 613 commandments in the Bible as well.

To go from "godless heathen" to a Jew in one year doesn't happen. The only way it could have happened is if her father happened to be Jewish and the Liberal Judaism movement who accept patrilineal descent (if the child is raised as Jewish) had issued her a status certificate stating she is Jewish. Even that involves paperwork and study and interviews, so there's just no real pathway for her to go overnight to being considered a Jew by any Jewish movement. And she's never indicated being raised as Jewish and a daughter of a Jewish father raised as Catholic would be a bit of a problem that would require more study to fix before she was regarded as Jewish.

After reading the first thread I searched all over the place for if she'd written an article in between about her deciding to begin the process to convert to Judaism. That would have explained some of this, although I'd call it poor form to write about being Jewish before finishing the conversion process. At least then it would have some explanation, but no, she's just *puff* insta-Jew with no history. A "why I'm converting to Judaism" article, which many writers similar to her have done, would at least indicate sincere intent but it just looks like as stated before it's for the kudos and little else because of the convenient whiplash in belief systems.

Or perhaps she's just a Cameron Diaz mega-fan...

I just decided to address the issue again as I'm Jewish and it pisses me off that someone's swanning around writing about our experience and our community as if she were one of us when it's obvious upon closer inspection that she's not. It may be a game to her, but to those of us who are actually Jewish claiming you are when you aren't is an insult.

This is really interesting. I think it's particularly rank that she makes anti-semitism all about her, using it as an attention grab from gullible followers.

Reactions: 9
Started out as a Catholic, became an atheist raising her kids as "godless heathens" and stated that "organised religion is out of step with modern Scotland and in time for when antisemitism was being discussed nationally wrote about the travails of being a Jew in 2019 Britain. It's mince.

Conversion to Judaism via the progressive movements takes around 18 months. You have to go through the entire year of the Jewish calendar and study Hebrew, learn about all the facets of Jewish life in classes and then go on to have an interview with the Beit Din (religious court of three rabbis) of the movement, get circumcised if you're a man and go to the mikveh (ritual bath) to complete a rite known as tevilah (ritual immersion). That's pretty intense, and for the Orthodox you also have to live with a Jewish family in Golders Green to learn about being Jewish and commit to all 613 commandments in the Bible as well.

To go from "godless heathen" to a Jew in one year doesn't happen. The only way it could have happened is if her father happened to be Jewish and the Liberal Judaism movement who accept patrilineal descent (if the child is raised as Jewish) had issued her a status certificate stating she is Jewish. Even that involves paperwork and study and interviews, so there's just no real pathway for her to go overnight to being considered a Jew by any Jewish movement. And she's never indicated being raised as Jewish and a daughter of a Jewish father raised as Catholic would be a bit of a problem that would require more study to fix before she was regarded as Jewish.

After reading the first thread I searched all over the place for if she'd written an article in between about her deciding to begin the process to convert to Judaism. That would have explained some of this, although I'd call it poor form to write about being Jewish before finishing the conversion process. At least then it would have some explanation, but no, she's just *puff* insta-Jew with no history. A "why I'm converting to Judaism" article, which many writers similar to her have done, would at least indicate sincere intent but it just looks like as stated before it's for the kudos and little else because of the convenient whiplash in belief systems.

Or perhaps she's just a Cameron Diaz mega-fan...

I just decided to address the issue again as I'm Jewish and it pisses me off that someone's swanning around writing about our experience and our community as if she were one of us when it's obvious upon closer inspection that she's not. It may be a game to her, but to those of us who are actually Jewish claiming you are when you aren't is an insult.
That's really interesting, thank you for explaining the process. I've never believed she converted. She'd have written some lengthy article about it if she did, because she desperately wants the attention. She's told so many lies at this point and can't keep track of what she has and hasn't said.

Reactions: 4
I've never believed she converted. She'd have written some lengthy article about it if she did, because she desperately wants the attention.
Some Jewish convert's stories are intentionally personal, and to press a convert to talk about it if they are unwilling is actually considered to be bad within Judaism - a convert is as Jewish as any born Jew is the guideline. But yeah, lapsed Catholic to atheist to Jewish in a year is nonsense on stilts so being skeptical about this religious whiplash is warranted.

I guess the silver lining is she's stopped grandstanding in the media about it. If she wants to quietly practise Judaism for herself without trying to gain attention, so be it. Her personal spirituality is her thing if it's just personal to her. Trying to write on behalf of the Jewish experience without actually being one of us though (as defined by one of the Jewish religious movements) is just appropriation and sucks.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Some Jewish convert's stories are intentionally personal, and to press a convert to talk about it if they are unwilling is actually considered to be bad within Judaism - a convert is as Jewish as any born Jew is the guideline. But yeah, lapsed Catholic to atheist to Jewish in a year is nonsense on stilts so being skeptical about this religious whiplash is warranted.

I guess the silver lining is she's stopped grandstanding in the media about it. If she wants to quietly practise Judaism for herself without trying to gain attention, so be it. Her personal spirituality is her thing if it's just personal to her. Trying to write on behalf of the Jewish experience without actually being one of us though (as defined by one of the Jewish religious movements) is just appropriation and sucks.
I remember her saying that she’d had the honour of performing a role in a play for a particular event in the Jewish calendar. I can’t remember who the woman she played was although apparently her son yelled “yeah she’s a feminist” during the performance.

Based on what you’ve said it sounds like this story must be completely fabricated because you couldn’t possibly get to the stage of performing with a congregation without the official conversion process?

Regarding her online zoom celebrations Id thought the most generous interpretation was that perhaps there was some ultra liberal international group that would accept people to just come along via the internet but the play story kind of squashed that theory

Reactions: 3
When she showed the zoom celebration tbh some of the usernames (which she was totally out of order for showing) were a bit sweary I can’t remember what but I did think it didn’t seem to be your average religious service and more of an alternative vibe

Reactions: 2
She's wafted in and out of the liberal Jewish community in Edinburgh for the past few years, so my first encounter with her was actually not via the media or anything but rather as the new goth-looking girl I saw at one of the events. Her face did ring a bell though, and when I was looking at a copy of The National a week later and saw her face on the strapline I realized who she was. I did wonder a bit at the time why she was there, but I figured she was maybe Jewish but didn't shout about it or getting married to someone and converting... while this sounds like a sexist assumption, the majority of converts to Judaism in liberal communities are women getting married. It's just a fact. Men are less common due to the fact that a certain famous Jewish operation is expected.

She did put in the occasional appearance at events I went to. I don't attend too often, but at a few times I was there and she was there, and then the whole Jewish thing appeared on social media.

I remember her saying that she’d had the honour of performing a role in a play for a particular event in the Jewish calendar. I can’t remember who the woman she played was although apparently her son yelled “yeah she’s a feminist” during the performance.
She played Vashti, the first wife of King Ahaseureus in a Purimshpiel, which is a play commemorating the Jewish festival of Purim. I'm not going to go into the where and why of it all (hence the wiki links) but in the traditional story Vashti is banished for refusing to display herself for the King and his court's pleasure, and for this in Judaism is considered something of a feminist icon. She did indeed play Vashti in said play according to an email newsletter I got, but I didn't attend the purimshpiel. The "yeah Vashti is a feminist" could have happened, or couldn't have.

Based on what you’ve said it sounds like this story must be completely fabricated because you couldn’t possibly get to the stage of performing with a congregation without the official conversion process?
It depends on the community. The Orthodox community is much more tightly knit and doesn't have many (if any) members that aren't Jewish, but Vonny did befriend some people in the liberal community and thus was allowed to take part in the purimshpiel. Purimshpiels have a tradition of being a very silly and satirical play, so really it doesn't matter whether anyone is Jewish or not. What is restricted is doing things during the service such as carrying the Torah or being called up to do the prayers before the Torah is read (called an aliyah). I've seen her when I've gone to some services on and off over the past few years, but never ever being called up. These things are called mitzvot and considered an honour in a Jewish community.

There are a fair few people I knew of converting in the liberal community, however of course none of them would ever be called. That's what I said about the "practising Judaism for herself" bit. She does have some Jewish communal involvement, but is not Jewish. Someone in the process of converting can appear to be Jewish (i.e. reading Hebrew) but until they go through the final conversion rites isn't considered Jewish ritually by the community. And like I've said before, usually when a convert becomes officially Jewish it's celebrated by the community as a whole, but I can't recall any mention of it.

Like I've said: if she wants to practise Judaism as her religion quietly that's fine. But grandstanding "as a Jew" on social media? Not cool. Until she takes a dunk in the mikveh, as kosher as a pork sausage.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
She's wafted in and out of the liberal Jewish community in Edinburgh for the past few years, so my first encounter with her was actually not via the media or anything but rather as the new goth-looking girl I saw at one of the events. Her face did ring a bell though, and when I was looking at a copy of The National a week later and saw her face on the strapline I realized who she was. I did wonder a bit at the time why she was there, but I figured she was maybe Jewish but didn't shout about it or getting married to someone and converting... while this sounds like a sexist assumption, the majority of converts to Judaism in liberal communities are women getting married. It's just a fact. Men are less common due to the fact that a certain famous Jewish operation is expected.

She did put in the occasional appearance at events I went to. I don't attend too often, but at a few times I was there and she was there, and then the whole Jewish thing appeared on social media.

She played Vashti, the first wife of King Ahaseureus in a Purimshpiel, which is a play commemorating the Jewish festival of Purim. I'm not going to go into the where and why of it all (hence the wiki links) but in the traditional story Vashti is banished for refusing to display herself for the King and his court's pleasure, and for this in Judaism is considered something of a feminist icon. She did indeed play Vashti in said play according to an email newsletter I got, but I didn't attend the purimshpiel. The "yeah Vashti is a feminist" could have happened, or couldn't have.

It depends on the community. The Orthodox community is much more tightly knit and doesn't have many (if any) members that aren't Jewish, but Vonny did befriend some people in the liberal community and thus was allowed to take part in the purimshpiel. Purimshpiels have a tradition of being a very silly and satirical play, so really it doesn't matter whether anyone is Jewish or not. What is restricted is doing things during the service such as carrying the Torah or being called up to do the prayers before the Torah is read (called an aliyah). I've seen her when I've gone to some services on and off over the past few years, but never ever being called up. These things are called mitzvot and considered an honour in a Jewish community.

There are a fair few people I knew of converting in the liberal community, however of course none of them would ever be called. That's what I said about the "practising Judaism for herself" bit. She does have some Jewish communal involvement, but is not Jewish. Someone in the process of converting can appear to be Jewish (i.e. reading Hebrew) but until they go through the final conversion rites isn't considered Jewish ritually by the community. And like I've said before, usually when a convert becomes officially Jewish it's celebrated by the community as a whole, but I can't recall any mention of it.

Like I've said: if she wants to practise Judaism as her religion quietly that's fine. But grandstanding "as a Jew" on social media? Not cool. Until she takes a dunk in the mikveh, as kosher as a pork sausage.
Thank you for explaining this!

I’m trying to decide if the fact she has at least had some community involvement makes the whole cosplaying online better on worse. I think it’s kind of both? It’s less cringy than it being complete Walter-Mitty territory, but also worse in that she must realise exactly how duplicitous the image she is portraying is.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
On a Vonny Grunka as I've never heard of her before.

I feel as though I'm reading an alternate universe Tattle and this is alternate JackM.

Wow. Off to Grunk the rest of thread one.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Is this Vonny's previous job?

• Haha

Looks like it! Weird, I thought the FTC was to cover maternity leave, wonder if/why they've decided not to keep Vonny on?

• Wow

Think she may now be showing an interest in these guys who were also trying to save Langside Shul. https://pinkpeacock.gay/

• Sad
Reactions: 1

I’m sceptical. Has she actually got enough experience to have a role with that level of seniority and salary? She’s been dotting about doing made up jobs for years and doesn’t have the relevant degree for that job.

I’m sceptical. Has she actually got enough experience to have a role with that level of seniority and salary? She’s been dotting about doing made up jobs for years and doesn’t have the relevant degree for that job.
What are you on about?!! She has mutliple degress and so much experience! Binders full of experience! She wrote a column in The National! If anything she is completely over qualified for this job and every single job in the whole world. FFS 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 9
What are you on about?!! She has mutliple degress and so much experience! Binders full of experience! She wrote a column in The National! If anything she is completely over qualified for this job and every single job in the whole world. FFS 😜
Damn, that's a CV!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Looks like it! Weird, I thought the FTC was to cover maternity leave, wonder if/why they've decided not to keep Vonny on?
Might it be the case that they just didn’t renew her contract, or even asked her to leave? She seems like a nightmare employee and didn’t she claim to have a breakdown while working for them?

Reactions: 5
Think she may now be showing an interest in these guys who were also trying to save Langside Shul. https://pinkpeacock.gay/
These guys are Irn-Ju, who are an anarchist Jewish group in Glasgow. I don't know too much about them, but from looking at their pages they seem pretty accepting. That being said, some may have the same issue with her saying she is Jewish without converting.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.