Vignettes and Pets

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank God, our Archer Karcher is our hanky dispenser .... 😥😥 .
Dandy Tandy has been entertaining us for the last half-an-hour with her squirrel chariot racing up and down the garden. She kindly let each of us have a go. It’s really quite amazing how squirrels have so much power. The Roman Empire missed a trick there you know...Mrs Bonnet-Bennet has reluctantly become separated from her bonnet. Miss Midnight has resuscitated the herbaceous border on top of it and placed it in the cellar to keep it cool. Mrs Bonnet—Bennet has announced that the time has come for her to let her hair down so @Sofie has brought her a hairbrush and some pastry forks. No-one is tipsy yet but as @happyforest keeps on saying - the night hasn’t even started yet. The dogs have made a fort right at the top end of the garden (behind the LSO) and Gem is in a turret being rescued by Casper, Roo and Teddy Bear. They never seem to tire of this wonderful game. We are all sitting out in the garden listening to 3 of the cellists from the LSO play Elgar...We are crying like babies and Mr Archer Karcher Darcy has now become the official hanky dispenser. Waaagggghhhhhhh...We all begin to channel our inner Jacqueline Du Pre...none of us are much good but we all try extremely hard. @Rubythefirebat begins to perform some interpretive dance for us and dear Fedup is quickly on her heels. It’s mesmerising...Miss Canthus has brought with her a commemorative tree and she says we can all plant it together a little later. Archer (of course) has volunteered to dig the tree pit...

to be continued...

The dogs helped Archer dig the tree pit - they had a wonderful time and got very excited indeed as they unearthed so many forgotten treats. We just started the ceremony of planting the tree but had to stop for a while whilst Archer rescued Miss Geranium from the tree pit. She had tripped over the hem of her floaty frock and fallen in accidentally. For some reason she kept tripping and had to keep on being rescued...She had a big smile on her face so we knew she wasn’t actually hurt... ;)

Tel O’Mere and Mel O’Dramatic have popped in as a surprise for Mrs Bonnet-Bennet. Miss Canthus and Mrs Bonnet-Bennet have now decided that a few delicate sips of gin might not go amiss. Archer staggers outside with the evening drinks tray and many, many glasses. The sun still beats down on our gathering and we are all having such a lovely time. Namima decides it’s time to fill the paddling pool...the dogs are thrilled...Jamie kisses everyone goodbye. He’s just covered the table on the terrace with the scummiest supper banquet which we can help ourselves to whenever we want. This is the life. This is the Birthday..!
Oh, this is glorious - and Mel O’Dramatic popping by - I can’t cope! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Happy birthday, dearest @Milking Keynes! ♥

The venue looks GORGEOUS!! I'm sighing at the cello music (my favorite instrument ever!), and at the beautiful company.

@Oops... your wonderful house is quite literally my dream house. Love the stonework, the floors, colours, everything. You have impeccable taste. Truly. 💕

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
As the evening draws in and shawls are worn around cool shoulders we can all look back on a day well spent. We have laughed, cried, gossiped, discussed, danced and giggled. Did I mentioned we sang? The kind of singing where you know all the words and rock from side to side in perfect unison and that was after the LSO left at 8pm. Another journey we have been on together and celebrated . Naturally we got slightly tipsy, slightly whimsical and slightly silly. Together. Who knew that all of us would be happy to accidentally fall into a tree pit in order to be rescued by a handsome man? Who knew gin could taste quite so medicinal and be so good for us? Who knew dogs actually do practise telepathy? And who knew Mrs Bonnet-Bennet would leave here to go back across the sea to Ireland with 16 freshly cut irises in her bonnet? Who? Tell me that...👒 I’m off to water our commemorative tree - thanks to Miss Canthus.

BTW - Dandy Tandy has just left in her squirrel-drawn golden chariot and my neighbours didn’t bat an eye...:rolleyes:

Edit = Typo alert!!! The eagle-eyed amongst you will have realised I wrote in post 260 that Jamie had laid out the ‘scummiest’ supper banquet for us. It should of course have said scrummiest!!! Aggghhhh. I wrote scrummiest but it auto corrected and I didn’t notice...😔

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
As the evening draws in and shawls are worn around cool shoulders we can all look back on a day well spent. We have laughed, cried, gossiped, discussed, danced and giggled. Did I mentioned we sang? The kind of singing where you know all the words and rock from side to side in perfect unison and that was after the LSO left at 8pm. Another journey we have been on together and celebrated . Naturally we got slightly tipsy, slightly whimsical and slightly silly. Together. Who knew that all of us would be happy to accidentally fall into a tree pit in order to be rescued by a handsome man? Who knew gin could taste quite so medicinal and be so good for us? Who knew dogs actually do practise telepathy? And who knew Mrs Bonnet-Bennet would leave here to go back across the sea to Ireland with 16 freshly cut irises in her bonnet? Who? Tell me that...👒 I’m off to water our commemorative tree - thanks to Miss Canthus.

BTW - Dandy Tandy has just left in her squirrel-drawn golden chariot and my neighbours didn’t bat an eye...:rolleyes:

Edit = Typo alert!!! The eagle-eyed amongst you will have realised I wrote in post 260 that Jamie had laid out the ‘scummiest’ supper banquet for us. It should of course have said scrummiest!!! Aggghhhh. I wrote scrummiest but it auto corrected and I didn’t notice...😔
Thank you for the most breathtaking and perfect event, Miss Oops. It was the loveliest experience to celebrate this event together! Your home is perfection. (I especially adore the stairs with the numbers printed on the risers. (I have a slightly autistic trait of counting things - and I always count the number of stairs, so this made me giggle).

(I admit, I did google the word that you mention, thinking that perhaps it meant something different in the Mother Land. But it was soon identified as an (extremely rare) typo. ;) )

This certainly took my mind off the once in a lifetime flooding that we are experiencing currently. It was so much nicer to read along here rather than worrying about all of the text messages to advise different areas to evacuate their properties. :( Sorry to put a 'damper' on things. ;)😘

• Sad

What a perfect birthday! Thank you for hosting such a wonderful event in your beautiful home. A dream venue - literally, a home of dreams. I’m so glad I suggested your home and not mine as our beloved group would be fighting over the deckchairs or lack thereof. We don’t want squabbles at a party. I don’t think I would have had enough crockery let alone doggy bowls for our lovely pets.

Seeing our lovely group together, for the very first time, since you and Dandy started this thread - well, it was amazing. You were all exactly as I pictured you. The glorious music, the sunshine, the terrace, oh - no wonder the atmosphere was so relaxed and the singing so harmonious between us. All in all, I think we behaved quite well, considering we didn’t all stick to the elderflower cordial. Miss Canthus sure does take out a few pin curls when on the Edinburgh gin - but, luckily, we didn’t have a repeat of the boathouse incident - my nerves couldn’t handle it! Yes, even Miss Namima behaved herself and left Archer to the GOH and so she should. Let’s just say, bonnet wearers hold a higher rank. Hmmmm.

Jamie did a great job - he’s a cheeky chappy but such a pro - what a delicious spread. Food from all around the world for our treasured international community we are blessed to have. Me and Gem took the last Ferry back to Dun Laoghaire and then the DART home. We smiled throughout the whole journey. She loved meeting all the fur babies and reuniting with special friends and their rendition of Love in the Time of Covid was amazing, wasn’t it? And they remembered all the words! Accompanied by the LSO - it was glorious... Our singing was pretty impressive too. When I reached for the high note when singing The Way We Were, I was glad you all held down your glasses, mind you.

Well, home now, and putting my 16 freshly cut irises in a vase and thinking of you all. Thank you for hosting such a lovely party, Oops, I treasure you as a friend. Sending lots of love and hugs across the sea to you and Teddy Bear. Hope you both are enjoying a restful bank holiday in the sunshine (ours is next Monday) and relaxing after all of your hard work preparing, planning and hosting. All much appreciated! ❤❤❤ I will be sending you flowers in my next post - I just need to get them from the garden and pot them for you - won’t be a mo....

1FEB936B-657B-455B-986E-721A4676AB84.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
What a perfect birthday! Thank you for hosting such a wonderful event in your beautiful home. A dream venue - literally, a home of dreams. I’m so glad I suggested your home and not mine as our beloved group would be fighting over the deckchairs or lack thereof. We don’t want squabbles at a party. I don’t think I would have had enough crockery let alone doggy bowls for our lovely pets.

Seeing our lovely group together, for the very first time, since you and Dandy started this thread - well, it was amazing. You were all exactly as I pictured you. The glorious music, the sunshine, the terrace, oh - no wonder the atmosphere was so relaxed and the singing so harmonious between us. All in all, I think we behaved quite well, considering we didn’t all stick to the elderflower cordial. Miss Canthus sure does take out a few pin curls when on the Edinburgh gin - but, luckily, we didn’t have a repeat of the boathouse incident - my nerves couldn’t handle it! Yes, even Miss Namima behaved herself and left Archer to the GOH and so she should. Let’s just say, bonnet wearers hold a higher rank. Hmmmm.

Jamie did a great job - he’s a cheeky chappy but such a pro - what a delicious spread. Food from all around the world for our treasured international community we are blessed to have. Me and Gem took the last Ferry back to Dun Laoghaire and then the DART home. We smiled throughout the whole journey. She loved meeting all the fur babies and reuniting with special friends and their rendition of Love in the Time of Covid was amazing, wasn’t it? And they remembered all the words! Accompanied by the LSO - it was glorious... Our singing was pretty impressive too. When I reached for the high note when singing The Way We Were, I was glad you all held down your glasses, mind you.

Well, home now, and putting my 16 freshly cut irises in a vase and thinking of you all. Thank you for hosting such a lovely party, Oops, I treasure you as a friend. Sending lots of love and hugs across the sea to you and Teddy Bear. Hope you both are enjoying a restful bank holiday in the sunshine (ours is next Monday) and relaxing after all of your hard work preparing, planning and hosting. All much appreciated! ❤❤❤ I will be sending you flowers in my next post - I just need to get them from the garden and pot them for you - won’t be a mo....

View attachment 597358
🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒🤩👒
Thank-you Mrs Bonnet-Bennet!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
@fedup90210 i am so sorry to hear about the flooding and hope you can update us as the situation changes.
@Oops... thank you for being the most wonderful hostess, Roo and I had the best time! ❤

• Heart
What a wonderful time we had @Oops... Thank you for being the hostess with the mostest and inviting us into your beautiful home! ❤❤❤
I hope @Milking Keynes had a great time.
I know I had a good evening because I have a few...ahem...souvenirs...
My voice is a little hoarse from all the singing, my eyes red from all the crying and I have a mysterious bruise on my posterior! I think at one stage I was inspecting the cellar, or was it the gym, looking for some Whispering Angel (I'd had a few too many Edinburgh gins with Mrs Milking B-B at that stage). I fear I missed steps number 5, 6 and 7.....
Oh, and if you are missing a couple of silver candlesticks I believe it's because you placed them precariously near the edge of the table and they toppled into my new, structured tapestry bag (purchased after being 'influenced' by Mrs M B-B).
Talking of missing things...have you seen one of my detachable sleeves, my starched apron and my secateurs? By the way, thanks for the cuttings...I think I asked first 😁.
Fortunately I had a quick journey home across county lines (not those country lines!) and slept like a baby, but had a terrible dream that we planted our Geranium instead of the commemorative tree! Please check!
Love Miss Canthus xx

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
What a wonderful time we has @Oops... Thank you for being the hostess with the mostest and inviting us into your beautiful home! ❤❤❤
My voice is a little hoarse from all the singing, my eyes red from all the crying and I have a mysterious bruise on my posterior! I think at one stage I was inspecting the cellar, or was it the gym, looking for some Whispering Angel (I'd had a few too many Edinburgh gins with Mrs Milking B-B at that stage). I fear I missed steps number 5, 6 and 7.....
Oh, and if you are missing a couple of silver candlesticks I believe it's because you placed them precariously near the edge of the table and they toppled into my new, structured tapestry bag (purchased after being 'influenced' by Mrs M B-B).
Talking of missing things...have you seen one of my detachable sleeves, my starched apron and my secateurs? By the way, thanks for the cuttings...I think I asked first 😁.
Fortunately I had a quick journey home across county lines (not those country lines!) and slept like a baby, but had a terrible dream that we planted our Geranium instead of the commemorative tree! Please check!
Love Miss Canthus xx
Now I know why my lace stockings are all muddy around the feet and ankles !

• Haha
@fedup90210 i am so sorry to hear about the flooding and hope you can update us as the situation changes.
@Oops... thank you for being the most wonderful hostess, Roo and I had the best time! ❤
Thank you for enquiring Geranium. 💝 School was cancelled today for the small ones, so we ventured out in the torrential rain to see our brand new river/waterfall cascading down the hillside into the gully. All fun and games. The family farm on my husband's farm is not fearing so well (the rather large paddock where they have the centre pivot irrigators look like they won't need to be irrigated for some time! Photo below. :eek:) Most people seem to be doing okay, but there was a disturbing news story that someone in their car had been swept away (seems like they didn't know where the road ended, and the river began). He ended up being saved, and helicoptered to safety. (Phew). I rather think that the people in Canterbury have had enough to deal with over the years (with the shootings two years ago, and the earthquakes prior to that), so here's hoping this is a temporary glitch with no long-lasting effects!
1622453044792.png

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Thank you for enquiring Geranium. 💝 School was cancelled today for the small ones, so we ventured out in the torrential rain to see our brand new river/waterfall cascading down the hillside into the gully. All fun and games. The family farm on my husband's farm is not fearing so well (the rather large paddock where they have the centre pivot irrigators look like they won't need to be irrigated for some time! Photo below. :eek:) Most people seem to be doing okay, but there was a disturbing news story that someone in their car had been swept away (seems like they didn't know where the road ended, and the river began). He ended up being saved, and helicoptered to safety. (Phew). I rather think that the people in Canterbury have had enough to deal with over the years (with the shootings two years ago, and the earthquakes prior to that), so here's hoping this is a temporary glitch with no long-lasting effects!
View attachment 597450
I was reading the NZ Herald online this morning after your post- it’s going to take weeks to dry out. Oh, so sorry - this is so challenging for you and the highways are all closed so I hope you have access to supplies? What will happen re your exams - aren’t they imminent too. Keep us informed and sending you love and support. ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
What a wonderful time we had @Oops... Thank you for being the hostess with the mostest and inviting us into your beautiful home! ❤❤❤
Love Miss Canthus xx
Love this 👏👏👏

View attachment 597450
This is too awful! Has the entire planet gone utterly mad? Thinking of you and your loved ones. 🤗

• Heart
I was reading the NZ Herald online this morning after your post- it’s going to take weeks to dry out. Oh, so sorry - this is so challenging for you and the highways are all closed so I hope you have access to supplies? What will happen re your exams - aren’t they imminent too. Keep us informed and sending you love a support. ❤
By golly it's nice of you to read the NZ Herald!! Thank you for your care, love and support!! 💝 Yes, it's a bit wet around the gills. 🐟 There are some smaller roads blocked off. There are some rivers around us which have broken their banks, but as long as the bridges are open, travelling to the school, supermarket and University should be okay. This week is the last week of lectures, then a study week, then cracking on with two weeks of exams. :m Tell you what though...it's not easy trying to study with the kids and Mr Fedup about. ;):ROFLMAO: (I will take a spoonful of concrete and harden up). Oh, and we just had a 5.1 earthquake 10 minutes ago. 😂😂😂

This is too awful! Has the entire planet gone utterly mad? Thinking of you and your loved ones. 🤗
Thank you poppet! Your beautiful soirée yesterday cheered me up immensely, and gave me something else to think about! 🍄🌺🍾🌠

• Heart
  • Wow
Just to let you know - Miss Midnight has just appeared from the Pink Room (she likes the bed in there). I was soooo tipsy-woo last night that I didn’t notice the much-loved Tardis still in the garden and I didn’t know she had slipped off to bed after our third rendition of I Vow to Thee My Country...Well she looks amazing as usual and we have decided to make a day of it together. Full marks to Namima for dropping off our International Others AND managing to send the Tardis back unmanned. I mean our group hidden talents are completely unfathomable. Miss Midnight is allowing me to do some nursing for her for a change and we have decided that the best way to inflate her lungs is for us to carry on singing. If you listen really hard you will be able to hear us...We’re just doing Jerusalem...No dear, it’s a little early for a Harvey Wallbanger...Give us our rods of burning gold...🎶

Edit; Teddy Bear has just come in from digging around the commemorative tree. He’s got a sleeve around his neck...and he’s found a pink shoe...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Just to let you know - Miss Midnight has just appeared from the Pink Room (she likes the bed in there). I was soooo tipsy-woo last night that I didn’t notice the much-loved Tardis still in the garden and I didn’t know she had slipped off to bed after our third rendition of I Vow to Thee My Country...Well she looks amazing as usual and we have decided to make a day of it together. Full marks to Namima for dropping off our International Others AND managing to send the Tardis back unmanned. I mean our group hidden talents are completely unfathomable. Miss Midnight is allowing me to do some nursing for her for a change and we have decided that the best way to inflate her lungs is for us to carry on singing. If you listen really hard you will be able to hear us...We’re just doing Jerusalem...No dear, it’s a little early for a Harvey Wallbanger...Give us our rods of burning gold...🎶
Fedup googles *Harvey Wallbanger*...aaaaaahhhhh!!! I get it now! It's nearly midday - go on! :m

• Haha

Edit; Teddy Bear has just come in from digging around the commemorative tree. He’s got a sleeve around his neck...and he’s found a pink shoe...
Oh, glad to hear you two are carrying on the party without us! After @Miscanthus post, I went to my trusty structured bag and - she is right- they carry a multitude. No wonder she got the candlesticks in there - I myself pulled out a very handsome bust - can’t remember how it got there, it’s all a bit hazy - but it is now perched on top of my upright piano! Oh, I do love a gin haze - zero accountability as one can’t remember 😉😉. Yes, indeed, I can hear wonderful mezzo-soprano voices in harmony. Your duet is magnificent!

• Haha
  • Heart

Can I just say that I adore the song "I Vow to Thee My Country"! (Genuinely! It harks back to my Cathedral choral days (yes, we wore cassocks and surplices!) No wonder we got onto our third rendition!

@Milking Keynes will you duet with me on the piano when I eventually go on my world tour? :m 🎹🎼🎶🎵

Oooh.....Miss Canthus, I might be able to provide a partial answer to the issue of the wandering secateurs. I am forever losing mine, so when I saw a 'spare' pair around the planting spot of the memorial tree (which I can assure you was actually a tree, and not dear Miss Bonnet Benet - what a frightful thought - you poor dear!) Anyway...I saw darling Teddy Bear snuffling around the base of the tree, and I thought that a couple of branches might scratch his velvety nose, so I snipped them off quickly! (I know...I know....I should really leave such matters to the professionals (you), but you were involved in a rousing rendition of Bread of Heaven, and I felt it would be improper to interrupt!) Now, the slight 'fly in the ointment' is the predisposition (which I mentioned earlier) that I have to 'losing' secateurs. They don't get 'lost' per se, but rather go on holiday unattended for an unprescribed period of time. So, even though I know that they didn't come home with me (because, honestly, I'm not that organised!), it is most likely that Miss Oops will find them under a bush or shrub on the next fine day. ♥

• Haha
  • Heart
Oh, glad to hear you two are carrying on the party without us! After @Miscanthus post, I went to my trusty structured bag and - she is right- they carry a multitude. No wonder she got the candlesticks in there - I myself pulled out a very handsome bust - can’t remember how it got there, it’s all a bit hazy - but it is now perched on top of my upright piano! Oh, I do love a gin haze - zero accountability as one can’t remember 😉😉. Yes, indeed, I can hear wonderful mezzo-soprano voices in harmony. Your duet is magnificent!
I wish I could love AND laugh at a post at the same time! (I mean I can but I can’t show it here...) 👏

PS we aren’t carrying the party on but we are having a good reminisce... ;)

• Heart
By golly it's nice of you to read the NZ Herald!! Thank you for your care, love and support!! 💝 Yes, it's a bit wet around the gills. 🐟 There are some smaller roads blocked off. There are some rivers around us which have broken their banks, but as long as the bridges are open, travelling to the school, supermarket and University should be okay. This week is the last week of lectures, then a study week, then cracking on with two weeks of exams. :m Tell you what though...it's not easy trying to study with the kids and Mr Fedup about. ;):ROFLMAO: (I will take a spoonful of concrete and harden up). Oh, and we just had a 5.1 earthquake 10 minutes ago. 😂😂😂

Thank you poppet! Your beautiful soirée yesterday cheered me up immensely, and gave me something else to think about! 🍄🌺🍾🌠
Thinking of you and your family in these crazy times ❤ Stay safe xoxoxo

@Geranium @fedup90210 saw this vid on IG and thought of you ladies. I don't know much about horses but this type of horse has always been a favourite of mine ... ❤

• Heart
Thinking of you and your family in these crazy times ❤ Stay safe xoxoxo

@Geranium @fedup90210 saw this vid on IG and thought of you ladies. I don't know much about horses but this type of horse has always been a favourite of mine ... ❤
View attachment 597569
Awww! There were always cart horses at Chawton House and the girls who looked after them were so lovely. I think the horses served the brewery in times gone by.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.