Vignettes and Pets

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I shall keep my ear to the ground regarding the (almost) imminent arrival of A&L! I think we were supposed to get IKEA, but doubtful that they will come down south, and I don't think they've arrived yet! (Backwards little country that we are!)

I have never heard of 'Three Sisters' hydrangea - but Mr Google just showed me a pic, and it looks lovely! Fancy being able to make it multi coloured like that! I have put my green thumb on, and suggest that you don't plant it in full sun, (but I'm sure you know that anyway). Over here hydrangeas aren't that fussy - dig a hole and chuck it in. (I never bother amending soil or anything - for us it's just a matter of navigating the rocks! :ROFLMAO: )

Where are you going to pop them? 💚
I wish we had Ikea in South Africa. As well as a Sephora.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I shall keep my ear to the ground regarding the (almost) imminent arrival of A&L! I think we were supposed to get IKEA, but doubtful that they will come down south, and I don't think they've arrived yet! (Backwards little country that we are!)

I have never heard of 'Three Sisters' hydrangea - but Mr Google just showed me a pic, and it looks lovely! Fancy being able to make it multi coloured like that! I have put my green thumb on, and suggest that you don't plant it in full sun, (but I'm sure you know that anyway). Over here hydrangeas aren't that fussy - dig a hole and chuck it in. (I never bother amending soil or anything - for us it's just a matter of navigating the rocks! :ROFLMAO: )

Where are you going to pop them? 💚
I have a bed in the shade out front that I think they might do ok in.... mostly shade but definitely sheltered. They are pretty nice - I hadn’t seen them before either although I’m pretty sure @Miscanthus and @Oops are well acquainted. Wanted Annabelle but they didn’t have them so compromised.

We got Ikea some years ago and the excitement was insane. Everyone used to hire a van and get on the Ferry to the UK to stock up on Ikea! We don’t have Sephora either but when I go to New York, my fave shopping destination are their pharmacies - you could spend hours in CVS!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I have a bed in the shade out front that I think they might do ok in.... mostly shade but definitely sheltered. They are pretty nice - I hadn’t seen them before either although I’m pretty sure @Miscanthus and @Oops are well acquainted. Wanted Annabelle but they didn’t have them so compromised.

We got Ikea some years ago and the excitement was insane. Everyone used to hire a van and get on the Ferry to the UK to stock up on Ikea! We don’t have Sephora either but when I go to New York, my fave shopping destination are their pharmacies - you could spend hours in CVS!
Walgreen - I love Walgreen when I'm in Florida! And Duane Reed in NYC. Sephora - I love too, wish we had it in the UK!

• Heart
Hello from Casper!! Not sure about others but HE is definitely making most of the sunshine and staying hydrated with lots of frozen yogurt licks 💙
31EA76BA-2A71-415C-9A5E-02BF528DB0C7.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hello from Casper!! Not sure about others but HE is definitely making most of the sunshine and staying hydrated with lots of frozen yogurt licks 💙
View attachment 599806
Oh, there’s a happy face! ❤☀☀

@Geranium. I started Shuggie Bain, and, although it’s beautifully written, it’s not for me at the moment. I told you I’d give you an update - and I’ve only read three chapters - but it is set in the most depressing setting of Glasgow tenements with an alcoholic mother and such a deprived existence for the main character. This is all depicted in it’s bleak depiction of recession and hardship. It makes for a very hopeless situation for mother and son.

I would not recommend for summer reading as it is so bleak - it’s quiet draining, to be honest. The friend that gave me the book is very drawn to this kind of broken situation. He gave me Canada by Richard Ford and I hated it’s plot, pace and length but above all, the bleak foregone conclusion - nothing was going to improve. I stuck with that book til the bitter end only as a courtesy. I’m not sure I’ll do it again! So, no, it doesn’t get my thumbs up. ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow

@Geranium. I started Shuggie Bain, and, although it’s beautifully written, it’s not for me at the moment. I told you I’d give you an update - and I’ve only read three chapters - but it is set in the most depressing setting of Glasgow tenements with an alcoholic mother and such a deprived existence for the main character. This is all depicted in it’s bleak depiction of recession and hardship. It makes for a very hopeless situation for mother and son.

I would not recommend for summer reading as it is so bleak - it’s quiet draining, to be honest. The friend that gave me the book is very drawn to this kind of broken situation. He gave me Canada by Richard Ford and I hated it’s plot, pace and length but above all, the bleak foregone conclusion - nothing was going to improve. I stuck with that book til the bitter end only as a courtesy. I’m not sure I’ll do it again! So, no, it doesn’t get my thumbs up. ❤
Thanks for the update. I think I'll defer reading it for a bit. I'm feeling a bit "on the edge" emotionally (six monthly disease check up incoming !!) so distracting myself with mystery or thriller books right now. Appreciate you giving me the heads up!

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Sounds lovely!! Can't wait for the photographic updates. ;)🧡 If you're on instagram, check out 'gncgarden' - you will love all of her Annabelle hydrangeas! (I'm sure she has others also). You can live vicariously through her...

Speaking of pharmacies - do any of you wonderful people follow Lisa Eldridge on YouTube? (I'm thinking we have had part of this conversation already). She used to talk about the French pharmacies a bit, and how you could get wonderful items for affordable prices! Oh how I would love to have a meander through some! (Also - I see that Lisa has brought out a whole lot of different cosmetics - now that is a brand I would be happy to support!!)

• Heart
Thanks for the update. I think I'll defer reading it for a bit. I'm feeling a bit "on the edge" emotionally (six monthly disease check up incoming !!) so distracting myself with mystery or thriller books right now. Appreciate you giving me the heads up!
Hope your check up goes well for you ❤ Yes, I find myself a little on the edge emotionally too and will be until the daughter’s exams are over late June. I think the book would drag you down completely. My daughter read a similar book recently and called it “gratuitously miserable” - love it!

Sounds lovely!! Can't wait for the photographic updates. ;)🧡 If you're on instagram, check out 'gncgarden' - you will love all of her Annabelle hydrangeas! (I'm sure she has others also). You can live vicariously through her...

Speaking of pharmacies - do any of you wonderful people follow Lisa Eldridge on YouTube? (I'm thinking we have had part of this conversation already). She used to talk about the French pharmacies a bit, and how you could get wonderful items for affordable prices! Oh how I would love to have a meander through some! (Also - I see that Lisa has brought out a whole lot of different cosmetics - now that is a brand I would be happy to support!!)
Well, here in Ireland, we get pretty much all of the French pharmacy products same as the UK plus we have Boots here and they stock some too. My favourite of all is Caudelíe but Roche-Posay, Avène, Nuxe etc are all available in our chemists. Caudelíe is amazing though ❤

Eta I think her Velvet Lipsticks (?) have got rave reviews but I don’t wear anything other than basic nude lippy so a bit lost on me!

Last edited:
  • Heart

Lisa Eldridge is the OG of the make up industry. ❤
I watch Ali Andrea, an American (I think) living in Paris. She has done a few shopping trips into pharmacies and French dept stores showcasing French cosmetics and skincare. Very informative. I have never been to France - hope to travel there soon - and as someone who loves Architecture, I just can't get over how beautiful the department stores are !

• Heart

This is a good review MK! Life is too short to be spent ensconced in a book that isn't doing it for you. We need to give you some 'spring/summertime' recommendations then!
Have you ever read any of the Monty Don books? (Some of them are gardening books, of course, but he does manage to weave his rather lovely writing style through the books, which is quite nice). I'm a big fan obviously! LOL. I just finished 'The Jewel Garden' recently, which was rather nice - it was honest though...so perhaps not as upbeat as is ideal for this time of year.
Do you like Katie Fforde? I have never read a book of hers that I didn't like.
Another book that I have found in my pile is "The Invitation" by Belinda Alexandra. I remember quite enjoying that.

I watch Ali Andrea, an American (I think) living in Paris. She has done a few shopping trips into pharmacies and French dept stores showcasing French cosmetics and skincare. Very informative. I have never been to France - hope to travel there soon - and as someone who loves Architecture, I just can't get over how beautiful the department stores are !
I watch Ali Andrea too! She is so delightful! (Love her accent). I am going to claim Lisa as one of our own, as she was born in Auckland, NZ!

*Fedup takes a bow...*

Hope your check up goes well for you ❤ Yes, I find myself a little on the edge emotionally too and will be until the daughter’s exams are over late June. I think the book would drag you down completely. My daughter read a similar book recently and called it “gratuitously miserable” - love it!

Well, here in Ireland, we get pretty much all of the French pharmacy products same as the UK plus we have Boots here and they stock some too. My favourite of all is Caudelíe but Roche-Posay, Avène, Nuxe etc are all available in our chemists. Caudelíe is amazing though ❤

Eta I think her Velvet Lipsticks (?) have got rave reviews but I don’t wear anything other than basic nude lippy so a bit lost on me!
Your daughter sounds delightful MK! I was thinking about your kids the other day (not in a weird way), just wondering how they were getting on with exam prep. (@Milking Keynes and @Geranium )

I have got a Caudelíe face mist on the go at the moment, and actually quite like it. (Also, I quite like their ethos of using bi-products of the wine industry - seems very sensible!) Actually, all of the brands that you have mentioned are fabulous - I've only used a couple of products out of each, but super affordable! I have not heard of Nuxe - one to watch out for!

Definitely need to invest in one of Lisa's Velvet Lipsticks - it would be rude not to. hehe...

I too am on edge - it's awful being like this, but I'm trying to remind myself that it's a normal part of life. (Having said that, I tend to be a tad reclusive when I get like this - I didn't even go outside today. Need to remedy that tomorrow. 🤗

@Geranium - Best wishes for that checkup. I can imagine it would be a nerve-wrecking time though. Are you into crime novels by any chance? I've read a couple of John Grisham's recently, and loved them!

@MissMidnight - I've also been wondering about you, and how your health is!

Warm cuddles to you all! 🤗🥰

Last edited:
  • Heart
Yeah - she is the OG and has been around forever but looks soo young. Her YT channel is very popular.

One time I was in Paris, we went over to watch Ireland v France in the Six Nations and my husband got tickets for the nose-bleed section even though he is with me twenty years and knows I suffer from Acrophobia - so I endeavoured to follow him up the steps and had a full-on vertigo induced panic attack and lay full frontal on the steps shaking. He was mortified but a lovely, elderly doctor who had an aisle seat talked me out of my panic. What a lovely samaritan. He held my hand and got me to sit down - I was petrified.

Anyway, Ireland won. I got my revenge later on, though, because we got on the train back to the city and my hub was so busy looking at his phone that he missed the stop. Me and the kids didn’t alert him - we just stepped off! Ha! I remember some Irish supporters noticed and tried knocking on the train window before it whisked him away and I just said “Ah, he’ll be fine”!!

• Heart
Yeah - she is the OG and has been around forever but looks soo young. Her YT channel is very popular.

One time I was in Paris, we went over to watch Ireland v France in the Six Nations and my husband got tickets for the nose-bleed section even though he is with me twenty years and knows I suffer from Acrophobia - so I endeavoured to follow him up the steps and had a full-on vertigo induced panic attack and lay full frontal on the steps shaking. He was mortified but a lovely, elderly doctor who had an aisle seat talked me out of my panic. What a lovely samaritan. He held my hand and got me to sit down - I was petrified.

Anyway, Ireland won. I got my revenge later on, though, because we got on the train back to the city and my hub was so busy looking at his phone that he missed the stop. Me and the kids didn’t alert him - we just stepped off! Ha! I remember some Irish supporters noticed and tried knocking on the train window before it whisked him away and I just said “Ah, he’ll be fine”!!
Awww...bless that Doctor for helping you out. I don't know how I'd do in that situation either. Love how you left him on the bus! Go you!! 🤭

I developed a fear of heights while being on a ferris wheel at an A&P show. (Well, it probably wasn't developed then, but that was the first time I was keenly aware of it!) I don't think it was helped that I was seated next to my teeny tiny daughter who's feet didn't even touch the floor of our contraption (maybe she was about 8 at the time - but fiercely brave). I was going to describe it, but I don't think it would do anyone any good!

My hubby (knowing this) decided to propose to me at the top of a gondola ride. (Hmmm...what was he thinking!?) 😂 Bless. :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Wow
Awww...bless that Doctor for helping you out. I don't know how I'd do in that situation either. Love how you left him on the bus! Go you!! 🤭

I developed a fear of heights while being on a ferris wheel at an A&P show. (Well, it probably wasn't developed then, but that was the first time I was keenly aware of it!) I don't think it was helped that I was seated next to my teeny tiny daughter who's feet didn't even touch the floor of our contraption (maybe she was about 8 at the time - but fiercely brave). I was going to describe it, but I don't think it would do anyone any good!

My hubby (knowing this) decided to propose to me at the top of a gondola ride. (Hmmm...what was he thinking!?) 😂 Bless. :rolleyes:
Wow - that’s funny - Mr. Fedup has a warped sense of humour. I think he would get on famously with Mr MK! I’m not joking but a ferris wheel did it for me too! In honestly, I would say it was years of climbing up pier walls in the dead of night looking down at black water when getting off various boats as a child was a dormant memory but the ferris wheel was the full-on panic attack. Added to that there was a teen sharing the cabby and he kept tilting it. 🤢🤢

• Wow
  • Heart
Wow - that’s funny - Mr. Fedup has a warped sense of humour. I think he would get on famously with Mr MK! I’m not joking but a ferris wheel did it for me too! In honestly, I would say it was years of climbing up pier walls in the dead of night looking down at black water when getting off various boats as a child was a dormant memory but the ferris wheel was the full-on panic attack. Added to that there was a teen sharing the cabby and he kept tilting it. 🤢🤢
I have to give the poor lad a smidgeon of credit - he thought that it might be problematic for me, (and he's not keen on heights himself), so he actually went up the gondola a few weeks earlier as a test run. Having found it to be 'not so bad' the stage was set for engagement day! 😂 However...what he hadn't banked on was going up at exactly the same time of day when they were loading some of the gondola things (what are they called!?) with supplies for the restaurant at the top. I probably would have coped better had it been plain sailing, straight up and done. But no. We kept stopping every couple of minutes, suspended in mid air. 😂😂😂 (Still - give me a gondola any day of the week over a ferris wheel!!)

I can see how your experiences would have an impact on you. There is just something about black water which is quite freaky!

I would not have liked to share my ferris wheel cabby with a mad teen. I was white-knuckled enough without that kind of thing going on! :sick:😨

• Haha
  • Heart
I have to give the poor lad a smidgeon of credit - he thought that it might be problematic for me, (and he's not keen on heights himself), so he actually went up the gondola a few weeks earlier as a test run. Having found it to be 'not so bad' the stage was set for engagement day! 😂 However...what he hadn't banked on was going up at exactly the same time of day when they were loading some of the gondola things (what are they called!?) with supplies for the restaurant at the top. I probably would have coped better had it been plain sailing, straight up and done. But no. We kept stopping every couple of minutes, suspended in mid air. 😂😂😂 (Still - give me a gondola any day of the week over a ferris wheel!!)

I can see how your experiences would have an impact on you. There is just something about black water which is quite freaky!

I would not have liked to share my ferris wheel cabby with a mad teen. I was white-knuckled enough without that kind of thing going on! :sick:😨
Aww - that is romantic! Cudos to Mr Fedup 🥂🥂❤👏🏻 What a lovely idea.

• Haha
  • Heart
I can’t even get on a duck on a piece of elastic...can’t do fairground rides. Managed the tea cups at Disney in Paris and managed It’s a Small, Small World and that was IT! Now you won’t be able to get SSW tune out of your heads... :rolleyes:

Just noticed my DM have appeared again. Don’t think they are being received tho as I sent a msg to Geranium. Mrs Milking Bonnet-Bennet will you try to send me a message please? X

PS Hydrangeas need plenty of water! X

Last edited:
  • Heart
I can’t even get on a duck on a piece of elastic...can’t do fairground rides. Managed the tea cups at Disney in Paris and managed It’s a Small, Small World and that was IT! Now you won’t be able to get SSW tune out of your heads... :rolleyes:

Just noticed my DM have appeared again. Don’t think they are being received tho as I sent a msg to Geranium. Mrs Milking Bonnet-Bennet will you try to send me a message please? X

PS Hydrangeas need plenty of water! X
No DM received, @Oops... 😢

I have to say I love a thrill ride! Favourites are Rock n Rollercoaster and Everest at Disney and The Mummy Returns, Jurassic Park and the Harry Potter rides at Universal. I miss Orlando!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Morning all - (or good evening NZ time).

I don't want to brag or anything, but an utter miracle has happened. I appear to have been upgraded to an 'active member', yet I haven't been for a walk in days! Incredible! 🤭 I did go to the Dr today though, and I have high blood pressure (very unusual for me, but it might explain the heart palpitations, and shortness of breath - doesn't explain the constant crying though). Maybe Tattle Life was trying to get me out for a walk or a jog, so that I earn the title "active." ;)

Hope you all are well out there. @Milking Keynes - hope you got that hydrangea securely stowed away underground. 🥰

P.S. I know nothing of this DM button. :unsure: I feel like I'm missing out on something.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.