Vignettes and Pets

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean...there’s adorable and then there’s Casper in a towel...🤗 I just want to pick him up and squidge him...

Casper in His Towel

As you sit and look at me
I like to wonder what you see
My regal nose, my head on tilt
Or fur wrapped tight from water spilt?
I like a good scrub - yes I do
To feel the water trickle through
The tender soothing when I’m dried
Then warming sunshine back outside
To dry my fur and make it shine
I bet you wish that you were mine...
Oh my heart @Oops... ❤❤ So heartwarming and touched by this beautiful poem. I know for sure it will be a great day today thanks to you xx

• Heart
Reactions: 6
We only have the one dog, Buddy, all our previous dogs have been Greyhounds too though, fell in love with them years ago.
Our first Grey was 10 years old when we got him, he was stuck in a shelter for a good length of time, the shelter put an article in a newspaper trying to get him a home & we went and got him.
That set the ball rolling 😀
I have put this up for you; it’s about a greyhound nobody wanted so he had to get a job as a moving statue to earn a crust...(He’s the dog who won the girl in Fur Babies - our Pantomime from another thread - so there was a happy ending) I wrote it to highlight the plight of racing greyhounds after their racing days are over. I thought it might resonate with you especially...

Lonely.

Can you spare a copper for a weak and lonely lad - once leanly built for racing ’til his sinewed legs got bad?
Lonely is my only name - I think it suits me well; there’s oh so many stories that a dog like me could tell
They billed me as ‘The Lonely Boy’ when I raced down the track; I won so many medals, cups and trophies and a plaque
I find I have no interest now in tuggies, sticks and balls; today I just stare down at floors or blankly up at walls
I’ve been reduced to begging if I want to earn a crust; I’ve become a moving statue - I have no choice so I must
Rely on gifts of charity from very few kind folk; I try to entertain them all and help them have a joke
If people throw a coin, they earn a miming move from me; I wish they threw more coins then I’d be moving constantly
I find that standing motionless saps straining muscle powers; yet I stand there in all weathers, every day for many hours
It’s never any fun to be a lonely dog like me, a Greyhound left with memories of happy times when he
Spared no thought for his future since he never had a care; when in his prime with lots of time he never knew despair

I wish you could have known me, you’d have seen if you'd been there; a sleek and shining testament to dogs who chase the hare
The bait would rattle past and I’d be right there on it’s tail; a thunder-ball of lightening, like a rocket I would trail
You might have won a great deal if you’d put a bet on me; in those days I was dynamite - completely fancy free
Yet now - a home to call my own is something I would cherish; I beg to buy the smallest bone; when winter comes I perish
I never show things get me down, I mock myself and joke; I hide the hell I feel so well behind a screen of smoke
Transparent and invisible - folk glance but they don’t see; I always wish them well when they defer their backs to me
Yet beneath this chaff of banter lies the razor edge of truth; I’m useless and unwanted - I have lost the bloom of youth
Who would want a dog like me who cannot earn his keep? A dog who’s deepest yearning is to have a good long sleep
I don’t have much to offer, yet each day I hope and try; it’s all that I can do sometimes to not break down and cry
I really miss the old days when the crowd would cheer and roar; and all the punters patted me when I came through the door

I hate the winter weather, I ice over and I freeze; and as a life-like statue you are not supposed to sneeze
Who’d have thought a dog like me would ever come to this? I find that warmth and comfort are the things I really miss
I wish I had a family who’d love and take good care of me; but that will never happen any hope for that is history
I now rely on providence, I have no trust in fate; I have to simply face the fact that now it’s all too late
No-one wants to pet a hound who’s scruffy old and smelly; and no-one wants to kiss my nose or rub my bony belly
No-one wants to cherish me and groom my greying fur; no-one says ‘I love you boy’ - or shows me that they care
No-one gives me meaty chunks or water in a bowl; no-one gives me tuna fish or strips of lemon sole
No-one takes me for a walk or asks me home for tea; no, it’s never any fun to be a lonely boy like me
So can you spare a copper for a weak and lonely lad? Once leanly built for racing ‘til his sinewed legs got bad
Sad and very destitute is how you find me now. No? Well I don’t blame you - let me thank you anyhow...

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I have put this up for you; it’s about a greyhound nobody wanted so he had to get a job as a moving statue to earn a crust...(He’s the dog who won the girl in Fur Babies - our Pantomime from another thread - so there was a happy ending) I wrote it to highlight the plight of racing greyhounds after their racing days are over. I thought it might resonate with you especially...

Lonely.

Can you spare a copper for a weak and lonely lad - once leanly built for racing ’til his sinewed legs got bad?
Lonely is my only name - I think it suits me well; there’s oh so many stories that a dog like me could tell
They billed me as ‘The Lonely Boy’ when I raced down the track; I won so many medals, cups and trophies and a plaque
I find I have no interest now in tuggies, sticks and balls; today I just stare down at floors or blankly up at walls
I’ve been reduced to begging if I want to earn a crust; I’ve become a moving statue - I have no choice so I must
Rely on gifts of charity from very few kind folk; I try to entertain them all and help them have a joke
If people throw a coin, they earn a miming move from me; I wish they threw more coins then I’d be moving constantly
I find that standing motionless saps straining muscle powers; yet I stand there in all weathers, every day for many hours
It’s never any fun to be a lonely dog like me, a Greyhound left with memories of happy times when he
Spared no thought for his future since he never had a care; when in his prime with lots of time he never knew despair

I wish you could have known me, you’d have seen if you'd been there; a sleek and shining testament to dogs who chase the hare
The bait would rattle past and I’d be right there on it’s tail; a thunder-ball of lightening, like a rocket I would trail
You might have won a great deal if you’d put a bet on me; in those days I was dynamite - completely fancy free
Yet now - a home to call my own is something I would cherish; I beg to buy the smallest bone; when winter comes I perish
I never show things get me down, I mock myself and joke; I hide the hell I feel so well behind a screen of smoke
Transparent and invisible - folk glance but they don’t see; I always wish them well when they defer their backs to me
Yet beneath this chaff of banter lies the razor edge of truth; I’m useless and unwanted - I have lost the bloom of youth
Who would want a dog like me who cannot earn his keep? A dog who’s deepest yearning is to have a good long sleep
I don’t have much to offer, yet each day I hope and try; it’s all that I can do sometimes to not break down and cry
I really miss the old days when the crowd would cheer and roar; and all the punters patted me when I came through the door

I hate the winter weather, I ice over and I freeze; and as a life-like statue you are not supposed to sneeze
Who’d have thought a dog like me would ever come to this? I find that warmth and comfort are the things I really miss
I wish I had a family who’d love and take good care of me; but that will never happen any hope for that is history
I now rely on providence, I have no trust in fate; I have to simply face the fact that now it’s all too late
No-one wants to pet a hound who’s scruffy old and smelly; and no-one wants to kiss my nose or rub my bony belly
No-one wants to cherish me and groom my greying fur; no-one says ‘I love you boy’ - or shows me that they care
No-one gives me meaty chunks or water in a bowl; no-one gives me tuna fish or strips of lemon sole
No-one takes me for a walk or asks me home for tea; no, it’s never any fun to be a lonely boy like me
So can you spare a copper for a weak and lonely lad? Once leanly built for racing ‘til his sinewed legs got bad
Sad and very destitute is how you find me now. No? Well I don’t blame you - let me thank you anyhow...
Thanks for sharing. 🐶

• Haha
Reactions: 3

Lonely.

Gosh darn it @Oops... you’ve reduced me to a blubbering mess AGAIN! ♥

I have the verse you wrote for Fur Babies in the Woods of Sherlock singing with Ed Sheeran saved on my phone, and a framed copy of it with a photo of him (Sherlock not Ed) underneath it in my study.

It still makes me cry happy tears all these months later!

It’s coming up to his three year anniversary since he crossed the Rainbow Bridge lying peacefully on my lap, finally free of pain - sheesh, I miss our boy so much!

E73D664E-18C6-43FB-B6F4-2BAA1AEB2BB0.jpeg

@Bobby Chariot, you’ll find that our much loved Oops has quite the passion and talent for combining pets with poetry ... she’s a rare and truly beautiful human.

Edit: NO WAY! Master Midnight just randomly started blasting ‘Perfect’ in his bathroom and he hasn’t the faintest idea what I’m doing! 😢

Last edited:
  • Heart
Gosh darn it @Oops... you’ve reduced me to a blubbering mess AGAIN! ♥

I have the verse you wrote for Fur Babies in the Woods of Sherlock singing with Ed Sheeran saved on my phone, and a framed copy of it with a photo of him (Sherlock not Ed) underneath it in my study.

It still makes me cry happy tears all these months later!

It’s coming up to his three year anniversary since he crossed the Rainbow Bridge lying peacefully on my lap, finally free of pain - sheesh, I miss our boy so much!

View attachment 570860

@Bobby Chariot, you’ll find that our much loved Oops has quite the passion and talent for combining pets with poetry ... she’s a rare and truly beautiful human.

Edit: NO WAY! Master Midnight just randomly started blasting ‘Perfect’ in his bathroom and he hasn’t the faintest idea what I’m doing! 😢
I’ve just blubbed like a baby seeing Sherlock again 🌈 💛 Wasn’t he just glorious? I mean he really was. I remember crying the whole time `I wrote Him. I still cry now when I think about writing the song 😭 The Angelic Choir of Rainbow Bridge was so bitter/sweet and I must say it helped me shift a lot of energy I was still processing over 2 of my beautiful Fur Babies who I had to let go. Tears tripping me up now as I’m writing this even....I think its a heady mix of their purity, our longing for them and the abject grief losing them all stirred in with the blissful joy of remembering how they were and their devotion and the memories of them at their best and sometimes at the end their worst. It’s a bit hard to swallow it all back isn’t it? I always experience someone losing a dog almost as if I’m them. It affects me on a visceral level somehow. I have never had a cat in my family but if I had I know I would feel exactly the same. Master Midnight playing ‘Perfect‘ is just that - (energetically) perfect...I’m not surprised that just happened. Three years is relatively short (in missing your dog years). Anniversaries are so hard aren’t they? I know it took me 5 years before I could rescue another dog (Teddy Bear) after I lost my golden retriever. No photo has ever been kissed more than his. Similarly my little Shetland sheep dog girlie.💛

This is me pulling myself back together... And now the weather - We’ve had a lot of it lately haven’t we..? 🤗

Thank you for such kind words x SO good to have you here!!! You’ve no idea... 💛🙏

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Oh, how I love you dearly, @Oops... ♥

Sherlock really was the most glorious Westie and he had such a beautiful, calming temperament it was impossible to not be happy around him.

He always instinctively knew when Master Midnight was getting sick and would only leave his side out of necessity - their bond was pure magic and I could watch them both for hours.

Even though Sherlock was so very sick at the end, and the decision to put him to sleep devastated us completely, if I could actually travel back in time I would still choose him, a million times over, just for the sheer joy he brought to our lives in the years we were blessed to have him and the memories he has left us with.

Anniversaries are very hard indeed and as much as I would love another dog, Master Midnight and I are not emotionally ready - to be honest we’re still grieving the loss of our gorgeous boy, but I know one day we will be ready and when that day comes, I have already decided we will adopt a rescue who desperately needs a loving home.

Now about the weather situation ... yes, we are having rather a lot of it here too at the moment!

I decided I HAD to join this thread because I was missing you and frankly the energy on the other thread was giving me the heebie jeebies!

Using a certain entity’s name, even if only in jest, has definitely opened a Pandora’s Box over there, just as you predicted it would, and I don’t like the infighting it seems to have created.

One minute we were all happily planning our Downtonbury Muddy Boot Festival and the next minute ... WHOOSH ... all the positivity went flying out the missing kitchen door!

I have posted a couple of comments over there in response to our beloved @Milking Keynes, but I don’t feel it’s a great space to be in at the moment - I have enough real drama in my life to contend with right now.

I have my follow up Outpatient appointment tomorrow, which I am dreading (I am such a terrible patient I wouldn’t want to be my Nurse), but at least I’ll find out how well my lungs are healing from the Pneumonia, so it’s bedtime for me now - and yes, I promise to report back to you with my results.

Thank you for caring about all of us so much, Oops, you have no idea just how much you and that beautiful heart of yours is appreciated! 🥰 🙏🏼
Hope the appointment goes well tomorrow xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
ED2F5415-8B7C-4445-B5F5-F25F3B63FFD7.jpeg

This one trying to compete with Casper.... Gem getting far too fond of the camera, she’ll soon be posing with her paw under chin a la a certain influencer! (As you can tell, I am just learning how to insert photos, hence the duplication #slowlearner

• Heart
Reactions: 12
D6F7ABBC-286D-44B6-BEC0-A8D586890F8C.jpeg

I thought you might like to see this early photo of me indulging one of my other passions, riding! This is Trigger :)

• Heart
@Oops... Did you hit follow on Matt? He put out a new video, I love it!
To any horse lovers:

Ooh!!! I JUST watched this! Loved it. What a beautiful couple of people.
I'm now in the middle of the Stal Tops one - not quite as cool - sometimes you just get a good vibe eh?
Did any of you see the grey that he is preparing for sale? Such a sweetheart... ❤ :m💜

View attachment 574120
I thought you might like to see this early photo of me indulging one of my other passions, riding! This is Trigger :)
Oh my word!!!!! Trigger - I'm in love!! What an adorable wee pony. My first horse was a 16.1hh black standardbred (I was a bit of a late starter).
I remember there being a competition for a pony in conjunction with 'Timotei shampoo' (back in the 1980's 😂), and oh how I hoped to win it - but I never did! :cry:
I no longer ride, but I have friends with horses, and sometimes I invite myself over for cuddles, because that and gardening are so good for mental health. Sometimes you just feel a bit low, and need a boost.
Love and hugs to you all! 🤗❤💜

View attachment 568042This is Roo at the beach...
What an awesome pic! I miss having a pooch so much. My last dog was Toby the english springer spaniel. Loved him.
May I ask where this pic was taken? Is there a lighthouse in the distance? So beautiful. xx

Me too. Yes she’s mine, her name is Mittens and she’s 6 months old. ☺

Aww really? That’s so cute. I had no idea. 🥰
My childhood cats name was Mittens! (Yes, he had four white paws...) xx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Ooh!!! I JUST watched this! Loved it. What a beautiful couple of people.
I'm now in the middle of the Stal Tops one - not quite as cool - sometimes you just get a good vibe eh?
Did any of you see the grey that he is preparing for sale? Such a sweetheart... ❤ :m💜

Oh my word!!!!! Trigger - I'm in love!! What an adorable wee pony. My first horse was a 16.1hh black standardbred (I was a bit of a late starter).
I remember there being a competition for a pony in conjunction with 'Timotei shampoo' (back in the 1980's 😂), and oh how I hoped to win it - but I never did! :cry:
I no longer ride, but I have friends with horses, and sometimes I invite myself over for cuddles, because that and gardening are so good for mental health. Sometimes you just feel a bit low, and need a boost.
Love and hugs to you all! 🤗❤💜

What an awesome pic! I miss having a pooch so much. My last dog was Toby the english springer spaniel. Loved him.
May I ask where this pic was taken? Is there a lighthouse in the distance? So beautiful. xx

My childhood cats name was Mittens! (Yes, he had four white paws...) xx
Thank you! I adored Trigger. This was on a beach in Anglesey. The picture of Roo is also taken in Anglesey. The lighthouse is The Skerries . It’s the place in the world I feel most at home and where I always encounter my childhood self and feel the spirits of my parents near me.
I agree that being around horses is just brilliant for mental health. You don’t have to ride, just be near them. I love the sound of horses cropping grass :)

mittens is such a cute name for a cat ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you! I adored Trigger. This was on a beach in Anglesey. The picture of Roo is also taken in Anglesey. The lighthouse is The Skerries . It’s the place in the world I feel most at home and where I always encounter my childhood self and feel the spirits of my parents near me.
I agree that being around horses is just brilliant for mental health. You don’t have to ride, just be near them. I love the sound of horses cropping grass :)

mittens is such a cute name for a cat ❤
I had to have a quick google to inform myself where Anglesey is. What a beautiful place!! Parts of New Zealand have often been likened to Wales. Stunning, and with a wildness about it (if you catch my drift).

Also - apologies all for infiltrating this thread. I needed a calming balm after the LM thread - to be frank, I've actually been feeling a bit reclusive/down over the past couple of weeks (can't manage to attend lectures in person currently which is a good hint to me that all is not well), and this has been just the ticket - so thank you. ❤

I’ve never been able to write a Haiku - I love them though.💛 Is that your cat? What is your cat called?

Going back to your first post, did you ever see the cat at Paddington Station (years ago) she was huge and everyone loved her. She lived there in her basket and became a great attraction.
@LittleMy and @Oops... I hope you'll forgive me for posting this, but I remember reading about Haiku earlier, and saw this post from a wonderful artist on Instagram, and wondered if you would like it? I love her sketches. ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.