Vignettes and Pets #5 B12 for the Soul

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Miscanthus, you mean you have 2 separate diagnoses on each side? An op being scheduled is excellent news! My sister was unable to find a local surgeon willing to perform surgery within our state. Surgery is always good news, IMO, as you're able to be rid of things quickly which is the gold standard even when needing additional treatments vs hoping to fight them it off with only chemo/radiation and zero surgery.

I understand your frustration and regret over the current situation, the new home project. But upwards and onwards, what is done is done. I hope that the existing property, as is per se, is adequate if you choose to stall the renovations. Meanwhile, remember that you've been recently tested, so your new findings are in good time. Everything cancer related is a huge mind duck. Sorry, that's just what it is, when you're told that word from a doctor. We are here with you and for you, in any way that you need.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thanks girls 🥰 Yes, different diagnoses, nearly 11 years apart but same area of body. "Highly unusual." 🤪

Saw this, made me chuckle. From 1900s, advice from a Suffragette.

FB_IMG_1708806119380.jpg

• Haha
Thanks girls 🥰 Yes, different diagnoses, nearly 11 years apart but same area of body. "Highly unusual." 🤪

Saw this, made me chuckle. From 1900s, advice from a Suffragette.

View attachment 2778819
That is brilliant! I should post it on my Reunion WhatsApp! On the subject, there was NO talk of husbands or kids. I think at our stage of life, it’s best avoided. Lots of happy never afters and bounders of husbands as per the above description posted by @Miscanthus.

We all took the 24 hour or so respite from all things personal and domestic almost by unspoken agreement, or as @Oops would say, clairaudience! - and chatted about teenage dates, sloppy kisses, getting dumped, the nuns that subjected us to detention in the Convent and were always prowling the corridors looking for girls wearing outdoor shoes or skipping classes, our parents being constantly called in, warnings, suspensions, zero empathy for teenage painful period pains or any character quirks, bus tours, foreign trips, etc. One girl recalled me and her trying to get two lads in the window of our room at Stratford-upon-Avon when Miss Butler knocked on the door. We pulled the curtain so the lad who was half in, half out couldn’t be seen. She said Is there anyone here who shouldn’t be? Silly question... of course not! By the time she left, they had understandably scarpered. What would William Shakespeare think?! A cultural trip wasted on the teen philistines. We did get to see Sinead Cusack at the RSC which was wonderful, though.

One girl had a very bad stutter in school and she told us it started when her left hand was tied behind her back so that she would start to write with her right hand when she was in kindergarten. In secondary school, the careers guidance teacher told her that with her stutter she should just become an au pair - that was all she was good for. She tearfully told us that was what she did until she married.

Shockingly, four of us are no longer with us. So very sad. Also, some siblings have passed but a surprising amount of mums are still with us which is fantastic. I used to love the mums!

There was one girl who was completely unrecognisable to everybody. The change is like one of those extreme makeover shows? Nothing was vaguely recognisable. Amazing. She had gone from a fat, plain ginger to a tall, svelte, brunette wearing a Chanel vintage bag and a dress from her own high-end clothing store in Martha’s Vineyard. She had been on a buying trip to Paris and Milan buying for her clients.

As for the rest - very mixed. As @happyforest said, this is the fun bit - will I know these girls? For the men, it’s hard because of the baldness and lack of definition - we can at least hide behind our hair and put a dab of kohl around the eyes! Ageing is very selective. We are all girls, from an all-girl school, exactly the same age but some were heavily wrinkled and some were fresh-faced. I would say that some had put on tons of weight but it really made them youthful looking facially whereas the fit, toned, gym bunnies looked pretty ragged of face and neck.

The beauties in school were still the beauties. One girl was so pretty in school and is a knockout now too. Her posture was like a ballet dancer - I was mesmerised looking at her during the speeches - ramrod straight in her chair... perfect hair, perfect smile.. perfect in all the photos. There was a lot of gossip and chat and two girls got up and sang - one takes herself very seriously so she sang with her professional singing voice while the other belted out a song she used to sing on the school bus which was hilarious.

The venue wasn’t a great choice. I thought the hotel bland, the menu uninspiring (no salad starters, two soup options??, flatbread as a starter?? I had a steak as I was hungry and I had to pay an €8 supplement for it but I would have preferred to pay more for the overall package and have a better menu. Service was dire. At our table in particular, we had been sitting for an hour and fifteen minutes without a single drinks order manifesting itself. Drinks were flowing at the other tables though and those girls had all started at lunchtime. Hellcat didn’t have a drink until 930pm! Service STOPPED at 1130pm - we couldn’t believe it! No residents bar? The whole point of me pacing myself was because of the daunting prospect of the fatal residents bar where unravelling can take place pretty sharpish. Hence, the party was moved to our room where girls brought drinks from their own room plus choc coated brazil nuts (yum!), we had brought down two bottles of wine and nuts with us that joined the stash and we carried prosecco and all the balloons up to our room. Apparently, it was 5am when we got rid of them!

Next morning, breakfast was everybody back down, lots of coffee, the full Irish, toasted brown bread (breakfast was better than dinner!) loads more catching up. It really was great, positive energy. Nobody wanted to leave so there was lots more chat in the foyer. Eventually, I packed up the car and turned to see my roomy coming towards me with all of the balloons. I said I can’t drive with the balloons in the car and some of the girls tried to dissuade her - one managing to pop a few - but she was not to be challenged. The balloons were coming with us no matter what. Long story short, I got her delivered safely home with her balloons without being held in police custody.

In truth, nobody had changed - thankfully, all personalities remained intact and exactly the same as in school just a teeny weeeeny bit older.

• Heart
That is brilliant! I should post it on my Reunion WhatsApp! On the subject, there was NO talk of husbands or kids. I think at our stage of life, it’s best avoided. Lots of happy never afters and bounders of husbands as per the above description posted by @Miscanthus.

We all took the 24 hour or so respite from all things personal and domestic almost by unspoken agreement, or as @Oops would say, clairaudience! - and chatted about teenage dates, sloppy kisses, getting dumped, the nuns that subjected us to detention in the Convent and were always prowling the corridors looking for girls wearing outdoor shoes or skipping classes, our parents being constantly called in, warnings, suspensions, zero empathy for teenage painful period pains or any character quirks, bus tours, foreign trips, etc. One girl recalled me and her trying to get two lads in the window of our room at Stratford-upon-Avon when Miss Butler knocked on the door. We pulled the curtain so the lad who was half in, half out couldn’t be seen. She said Is there anyone here who shouldn’t be? Silly question... of course not! By the time she left, they had understandably scarpered. What would William Shakespeare think?! A cultural trip wasted on the teen philistines. We did get to see Sinead Cusack at the RSC which was wonderful, though.

One girl had a very bad stutter in school and she told us it started when her left hand was tied behind her back so that she would start to write with her right hand when she was in kindergarten. In secondary school, the careers guidance teacher told her that with her stutter she should just become an au pair - that was all she was good for. She tearfully told us that was what she did until she married.

Shockingly, four of us are no longer with us. So very sad. Also, some siblings have passed but a surprising amount of mums are still with us which is fantastic. I used to love the mums!

There was one girl who was completely unrecognisable to everybody. The change is like one of those extreme makeover shows? Nothing was vaguely recognisable. Amazing. She had gone from a fat, plain ginger to a tall, svelte, brunette wearing a Chanel vintage bag and a dress from her own high-end clothing store in Martha’s Vineyard. She had been on a buying trip to Paris and Milan buying for her clients.

As for the rest - very mixed. As @happyforest said, this is the fun bit - will I know these girls? For the men, it’s hard because of the baldness and lack of definition - we can at least hide behind our hair and put a dab of kohl around the eyes! Ageing is very selective. We are all girls, from an all-girl school, exactly the same age but some were heavily wrinkled and some were fresh-faced. I would say that some had put on tons of weight but it really made them youthful looking facially whereas the fit, toned, gym bunnies looked pretty ragged of face and neck.

The beauties in school were still the beauties. One girl was so pretty in school and is a knockout now too. Her posture was like a ballet dancer - I was mesmerised looking at her during the speeches - ramrod straight in her chair... perfect hair, perfect smile.. perfect in all the photos. There was a lot of gossip and chat and two girls got up and sang - one takes herself very seriously so she sang with her professional singing voice while the other belted out a song she used to sing on the school bus which was hilarious.

The venue wasn’t a great choice. I thought the hotel bland, the menu uninspiring (no salad starters, two soup options??, flatbread as a starter?? I had a steak as I was hungry and I had to pay an €8 supplement for it but I would have preferred to pay more for the overall package and have a better menu. Service was dire. At our table in particular, we had been sitting for an hour and fifteen minutes without a single drinks order manifesting itself. Drinks were flowing at the other tables though and those girls had all started at lunchtime. Hellcat didn’t have a drink until 930pm! Service STOPPED at 1130pm - we couldn’t believe it! No residents bar? The whole point of me pacing myself was because of the daunting prospect of the fatal residents bar where unravelling can take place pretty sharpish. Hence, the party was moved to our room where girls brought drinks from their own room plus choc coated brazil nuts (yum!), we had brought down two bottles of wine and nuts with us that joined the stash and we carried prosecco and all the balloons up to our room. Apparently, it was 5am when we got rid of them!

Next morning, breakfast was everybody back down, lots of coffee, the full Irish, toasted brown bread (breakfast was better than dinner!) loads more catching up. It really was great, positive energy. Nobody wanted to leave so there was lots more chat in the foyer. Eventually, I packed up the car and turned to see my roomy coming towards me with all of the balloons. I said I can’t drive with the balloons in the car and some of the girls tried to dissuade her - one managing to pop a few - but she was not to be challenged. The balloons were coming with us no matter what. Long story short, I got her delivered safely home with her balloons without being held in police custody.

In truth, nobody had changed - thankfully, all personalities remained intact and exactly the same as in school just a teeny weeeeny bit older.
Oh! I loved reading this! I devoured it! Thank you for writing it. It’s like I was there with you. 👏👏👏

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
I loved the Sufrageete manifesto our dear Captain put up for us before. At one time in my Reform the lot of Women heyday there were those who may well have accused me of being a Suffragette. Which of course brings me to my heroine Alice Naylor-Leyland. Some of you may remember I collect her tablescapes (HOW I detest that wretched word!) in many colours. Anyway, here is an absurd sentence you probably never expected anyone to utter or indeed write on a grey February Sunday…

Here is a photo of Alice Naylor-Leyland wearing a long pink taffeta frock and cloak taken outside her stately pile as she tends to her llamas…

IMG_0282.jpeg

---
ETA ( she might be tending to her alpacas - I can never tell the difference unless both species are standing together in the same field…)

• Haha
  • Heart
Oh! I loved reading this! I devoured it! Thank you for writing it. It’s like I was there with you. 👏👏👏
@Oops - I was petrified of going! I can honestly say that if it wasn’t for you girls here always encouraging me and supporting me and telling me I’m going to rock my lewk - I would never have gone. I really value you so, so much and have you wonderful group to thank for getting me out of my comfort zone and grasping the moment. ❤❤❤
---
I loved the Sufrageete manifesto our dear Captain put up for us before. At one time in my Reform the lot of Women heyday there were those who may well have accused me of being a Suffragette. Which of course brings me to my heroine Alice Naylor-Leyland. Some of you may remember I collect her tablescapes (HOW I detest that wretched word!) in many colours. Anyway, here is an absurd sentence you probably never expected anyone to utter or indeed write on a grey February Sunday…

Here is a photo of Alice Naylor-Leyland wearing a long pink taffeta frock and cloak taken outside her stately pile as she tends to her llamas…

View attachment 2779222
---
ETA ( she might be tending to her alpacas - I can never tell the difference unless both species are standing together in the same field…)
That’s how you wear taffeta, accessorised by llamas/alpacas on your stately pile with an adorable tablescape! What a goddess..

• Heart
  • Haha
@Oops - I was petrified of going! I can honestly say that if it wasn’t for you girls here always encouraging me and supporting me and telling me I’m going to rock my lewk - I would never have gone. I really value you so, so much and have you wonderful group to thank for getting me out of my comfort zone and grasping the moment. ❤❤❤
---

That’s how you wear taffeta, accessorised by llamas/alpacas on your stately pile with an adorable tablescape! What a goddess..
Oh mais oui, ma petite Chou! Mais oui…

I think your excursion into your past was an incredibly salutary thing for you to do. You embraced the experience with both hands and rock-solid rocked it! Hurrah! I have cried off last minute for a whole raft of reasons in the past for occasions I should have attended and regretted it. Well done! You have a huge purple patch to look back on and smile about now. Utterly wonderful. Big sigh…

How is your mother today dear Aunty H?Is she recovering as hoped now?
How did the slavery at home go?
When is that wretched fence getting fixed by Dumb Boy Sloppy? (Fat Boy Slim’s older brother).
Grr - still makes me rage….

Dearest Captain, I hoped you might like to read through an article written by Dr Jockers called Top 12 Cancer Stem Cell Killing Nutrients. It’s on DrJockers.com . It might give you some inspo for helpful, healing things to eat before, during and after your treatment. I read it today again. Another good chap to read is Sayer Ji from Green Med Info.I like these 2 because they back up everything they write about with the scientific papers you can read for yourself. I have been trying to think of how I can help you and maybe this will. I expect you know most of it but something new may just resonate with you 💕❤x.

Just to let you all know I am test driving the mats and mattress covers from the earthing mat people at the moment and will report back when I have used it all for a month. I bought one for Emily and we are swapping notes. I will report back on it all when I can speak about it knowledgeably. It’s interesting.

Last edited:
  • Heart
My mother is ok. I know she is ok because when I called her last night, she spoke to me in a theatrical posh voice, telling me not to strain myself. Reminding me that your multiple myeloma needs to be cared for. I do not have multiple myeloma yet. I have its precursor, which she fully knows. But she had an audience, some church friend, so she had to perform. It is like my mother loves having horrible things happening to her or her loved ones. I know this sounds horrific to say, but it's the truth. She preens, her posture changes. Becoming a widow was the most magnificent moment for her. You should have seen her, gently putting her hand out at my father's funeral, where 600 attendees wept and fawned over her. You'd think he was the Pope. Not joking!

My late sister's cancer, same thing. My mother wanted every detail to impart it to her 'followers'. She is like an influencer in a way. She has the oddest friendships, all in, constantly love bombing people, then she sours on them and there's drama when she ghosts them. She is 1 of 5 children, and all her siblings refer to her as La Princesa because she was always the spoilt diva.

All this to say, my ma is fine for now. She slept in today. We hadn't heard from her as usual on the family text wherein she checks in each morning, so Eldest rang her at 10:30am only to find that she had woken my mother up. Whoops!

The fence is fixed! Praise be. DH and I went to the DIY store first thing this morning, and bought everything necessary. After much sweating, swearing, getting hit in the face by errant branches, and loads of stops for drinks of water and snacks, we have fixed it. The shitpuffin caretaker/handyman never showed his face all weekend. I took before and after photos to prove its state in case the owner or his son-in-law are upset with us.

@Milking Keynes, wasn't it Catherine Deneuve that said after a certain age a lady must choose her derriere or her face? I.e. only one will look good? I notice all my friends that are a tiny bit chubby or more have youthful, unlined faces. The skinnies are scary gaunt. Terrible choice to have to make. And also why filler looks so weird on whippet thin people. Thin people typically never have chubby faces.

Love Alice Naylor-Leyland's modest pile. But I love her alpacas more! @Oops... I tell alpacas apart from llamas by their heads. Alpacas have fluffy fringes, whereas llamas' head shape look almost like kangaroos.

• Heart
My mother is ok. I know she is ok because when I called her last night, she spoke to me in a theatrical posh voice, telling me not to strain myself. Reminding me that your multiple myeloma needs to be cared for. I do not have multiple myeloma yet. I have its precursor, which she fully knows. But she had an audience, some church friend, so she had to perform. It is like my mother loves having horrible things happening to her or her loved ones. I know this sounds horrific to say, but it's the truth. She preens, her posture changes. Becoming a widow was the most magnificent moment for her. You should have seen her, gently putting her hand out at my father's funeral, where 600 attendees wept and fawned over her. You'd think he was the Pope. Not joking!

My late sister's cancer, same thing. My mother wanted every detail to impart it to her 'followers'. She is like an influencer in a way. She has the oddest friendships, all in, constantly love bombing people, then she sours on them and there's drama when she ghosts them. She is 1 of 5 children, and all her siblings refer to her as La Princesa because she was always the spoilt diva.

All this to say, my ma is fine for now. She slept in today. We hadn't heard from her as usual on the family text wherein she checks in each morning, so Eldest rang her at 10:30am only to find that she had woken my mother up. Whoops!

The fence is fixed! Praise be. DH and I went to the DIY store first thing this morning, and bought everything necessary. After much sweating, swearing, getting hit in the face by errant branches, and loads of stops for drinks of water and snacks, we have fixed it. The shitpuffin caretaker/handyman never showed his face all weekend. I took before and after photos to prove its state in case the owner or his son-in-law are upset with us.

@Milking Keynes, wasn't it Catherine Deneuve that said after a certain age a lady must choose her derriere or her face? I.e. only one will look good? I notice all my friends that are a tiny bit chubby or more have youthful, unlined faces. The skinnies are scary gaunt. Terrible choice to have to make. And also why filler looks so weird on whippet thin people. Thin people typically never have chubby faces.

Love Alice Naylor-Leyland's modest pile. But I love her alpacas more! @Oops... I tell alpacas apart from llamas by their heads. Alpacas have fluffy fringes, whereas llamas' head shape look almost like kangaroos.
You are a saint - the fence, the mother.... ! Oh, dear. You deserve a great DH. Your mother is a drama queen, for sure!

Yep, the face or the backside.. our choices are vast 😂🙄

• Haha
I know you are all familiar with challenging relationships....
Well, I phoned my sister to tell her the news. I felt sick at the thought of doing it as I knew I would be emotional. I was. She said she didn't know what to say. She knows I don’t want chemo and suggested it was because I would lose my hair....
There was no offers of help, of coming to stay, of inviting me to Devon. The final punch in the gut was that they are going back to the holiday cottage we shared last Easter but no invite for me.

• Sad
  • Angry
I know you are all familiar with challenging relationships....
Well, I phoned my sister to tell her the news. I felt sick at the thought of doing it as I knew I would be emotional. I was. She said she didn't know what to say. She knows I don’t want chemo and suggested it was because I would lose my hair....
There was no offers of help, of coming to stay, of inviting me to Devon. The final punch in the gut was that they are going back to the holiday cottage we shared last Easter but no invite for me.
Jesus. Now I see why you hesitated to tell her. I’m almost mortified at the amount of unexpected support I’ ve received fron girls I haven’t seen in yonks compared to you looking for just a little understanding from your own sister and I didn’t even want to go?

I’m very angry. Who acts like this? You are our greatest person, our leader, our wonder, our hero? 💪❤

If it helps, my older sister was very similar, A complete c u next tuesday... I rarely use the term but, hell, sometimes it needs to be said. I want to slap your sister right now. She seems utterly selfish and useless. Mine was the same.

I know you’re stressed, god love you, but please don’t worry about your gorgeous hair. I’m sure it will be fine and you will get to keep it. She just was too much for you tonight on top of all the diagnosis and treatment plan. Sometimes the negativity negates all good and proper feelings, @Miscanthus. Please keep the faith, sleep well, eat whatever @Oops tells you and keep our company because we love you and our support beats all negativity. XXX❤❤

• Heart
Come and stay with me darling. I’ll take you to Devon and all your appointments! ❤
---
ETA Do you think that when your sister has had time to digest the news she may well step up and offer to come and stay and want you to go to Devon again?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Come and stay with me darling. I’ll take you to Devon and all your appointments! ❤
---
ETA Do you think that when your sister has had time to digest the news she may well step up and offer to come and stay and want you to go to Devon again?
You girls are the best 😘
I'm sorry I'm not responding to all the posts but I am enjoying reading them.
Re my sister...in a word 'no'. She didn't show up when our parents were sick and she only showed when our mother was dying because I ordered her to. She won't show for me. If it was the other way round I would have said "what can I do?/ what do you need me to do?" not "I don't know what to say". Forgot to say she suggested I shave my head now...of all the things she could have said!!!
The thing you need to know about her is that she has stripped any stress from her life and woe betide you if you introduce any. She doesn't work, doesn't drive, doesn't do household finances and other stuff.
She never came to my last house and when I asked her to help me move here she said "it might be better if we come when it's done" and she didn't mean the move, she meant the reno.

• Wow
  • Sad
You girls are the best 😘
I'm sorry I'm not responding to all the posts but I am enjoying reading them.
Re my sister...in a word 'no'. She didn't show up when our parents were sick and she only showed when our mother was dying because I ordered her to. She won't show for me. If it was the other way round I would have said "what can I do?/ what do you need me to do?" not "I don't know what to say". Forgot to say she suggested I shave my head now...of all the things she could have said!!!
The thing you need to know about her is that she has stripped any stress from her life and woe betide you if you introduce any. She doesn't work, doesn't drive, doesn't do household finances and other stuff.
She never came to my last house and when I asked her to help me move here she said "it might be better if we come when it's done" and she didn't mean the move, she meant the reno.
Well, she doesn’t deserve to have you as a sister. Myself and blue orchid from the other thread have had exactly the same experiences with our respective sisters. Nightmare. Mine never showed up when either parent was struggling and naturally took the money whilst not bothering to help me move any of the stuff out of my parents home. The other one was as bad - announcing that she was pregnant and couldn’t help.. even got the hubby to ring me and say to me I’m warning you - my wife is six months pregnant and I don’t want you stressing her. 🙄🙄

These people are so precious about themselves that they disconnect from helping anyone else if it’s not advantageous to their own agenda. I did notice how the poor pregnant sister managed very successfully to extract anything valuable before rendering herself incapacitated.

It’s bad enough that yours is unhelpful and ignorant but what galls me the most is that she said hurtful things when you are at your most raw and vulnerable and that’s unforgivable in my opinion. Karma is real - I truly believe that - and she will undoubtedly and eventually receive the same treatment that she’s dishing out.

I’m furious on your behalf - I’m going to have to calm down cos she has me riled. Sending you biggest hug. Xxxxx

• Heart
I'm so sorry @Miscanthus. Sounds like a self absorbed asshat. So focused on hair right now?! People can be so weird about cancer, like it's contagious or something. But this isn't people, this is a sibling! To me, it is unforgivable when siblings act like this with each other. Anything would have been better, such as, what can I do? Where's your head at? Join us in Devon, I insist. I'm here for you, whatever you need. You'll get through this like you did before.

No wonder your instinct was to put off telling her. I'm so sorry. You deserve far better. Please don't feel like you have to reply to messages here. We just want you to know we are here, you are in our thoughts. We love you to bits and will happily take anyone on for you. The only way through something like this is one step at a time, put this useless person out of your head if you can (I wouldn't be able to I'd be too mad and hurt FWIW). Try to focus on what comes next. Illness and how one deals with it is very personal. Follow your gut on what you will/can accept and stay true to yourself. Sending you gentle hugs and all the healing vibes.

• Heart
Situations Vacant.

Sister required for a woman who never had a sister but would love one.
Would hopefully have a good sense of humour.
The ability to express herself in an artistic medium would be a bonus.
Must enjoy renovating property.
Great hours
Great cellar,
Great food, no one to cook it but that’s incidental,
Must love dogs.

Apply within.

• Heart
Situations Vacant.

Great hours
Great cellar,
Must love dogs.

Apply within.
Oh, I love this @Oops! I also would kill for a sister like @Miscanthus. Some folks don’t know how lucky they are, eh? Methinks the Shitpuffin Award needs to be sent to Devon post-haste.🏆🥇

• Haha
  • Heart
Situations Vacant.

Great hours
Great cellar,
Must love dogs.

Apply within.

[/QUOTE]

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.