Video games

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A place to discuss gaming, from arcade machines and 8-bit system classics to modern releases. First game you remember playing? Favourite console? Favourite game of all time? Which game have you put the most hours into? How many games have you bought on Steam that you've never played even once? How many times did you remove ladders from the swimming pool and make a collection of the inevitable gravestones in the garden in The Sims? I simply must know.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Love this! First games I remember are Shinobi and Mortal Kombat on my brother’s Sega Master System.

Loved Theme Hospital and Theme Park on the PC when I was a kid. Tried getting into Two Point Hospital when it came out but I rage-quit because it was too hard. Still play Rollercoaster Tycoon every now and then when I fancy it.

I’ve played The Sims since it’s release in 2000 and still I can quite easily spend all evening playing it and ignoring my family. Became addicted to Stardew Valley during lockdown. I prefer simulation sort of games. Anything with fighting stresses the hell out of me and I end up panic-shooting everything.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’ve recently downloaded House Flipper on Steam. It’s ok but not that challenging or fun, just doing up houses and onto the next mission. My go to is sims 2, always have and always will be, not a fan on the newer ones. If I had a better PC I think house flipper might be good. I’ve also heard about a new life simulation game coming out soon, I think it’s called Paralives. Can’t wait for that. I think something needs to come out to rival the sims or atleast try.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I recently picked up Guild Wars 2 again since exploring on the game is very relaxing and just wanted a more casual MMO experience

I was thinking of picking Sims 3 back up too but I think I'd drop it too quick to be worth all those installing times tbh. Sims 4 is fun in short spurts but god is the game dull, and I don't have much for Sims 5 fixing it

Other than that, pretty much addicted to League Of Legends

Reactions: 2
I loved The Sims 2 I think out of them all that one is the best, I’ve had the odd go on Sims 4 but although it’s pretty much the same I found it a bit boring.

I’m not much of a gamer now but I remember playing Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat and making my brother cry because he I’d always beat him.

Did anyone play GTA Vice city? I remember thinking it was so cool at the time and you look back at the graphics now and see how dodgy they were.

Reactions: 12
I started out on PC playing games with my dad. When I was very small I loved playing Adiboo and Rusty and Rosie, then I progressed to Dark Earth, Blood, Excalibur, Resident Evil, Broken Sword. I also loved The Sims, Theme Hospital and Theme Park.

My brother had the Megadrive so I also played Sonic The Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, Castle of Illusion and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. Some of these feel like a fever dream! 😂

I love every game in the GTA series but have really fond memories of playing Vice City and San Andreas with my cousins. I still remember R1 R1 circle R2 up down up down up down. If you know, you know! 😂

I still game regularly and really enjoy it. At the moment I'm replaying Red Dead Redemption II. I'm exploring and trying to find all of the legendary animals and fish. The open world is amazing in this game.

I bought TLOU2 recently but haven't started it yet as I may or may not be too scared... 😳😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Oh - Mortal Kombat - I'd forgotten. I loved that game and was probs the fighting game I was best at.

I started gaming on a Spectrum ZX, then for years we had an Amstrad with its strange sized floppy disks and I played a duck-ton of Arkanoid, Barbarian and an awesome port of the Batman: The Movie game. I loved that pixelly little bat.

I didn't have a console when young, initially because I am very ancient so they didn't exist and then because my parents would not be buying consoles for teenagers. I bought a Playstation with my first paycheck and got addicted to Discworld Noir and Pandemonium. I would still love to play Pandemonium now, I rage-quit that a *lot*.

Stopped gaming for a long time after I got married, because I am v easily addicted to such things and have to be v careful. I got back into it a few years ago and have a deep and abiding love for Fallout (particularly 3 and the much maligned, I think, New Vegas) and a v soft spot for all Halo incarnations.

Online shooting games do nothing for me.

I bought a Switch a couple of years ago and we love Mario Kart as a family but I've struggled to find things for it I've loved. Apart from Untitled Goose Game because everyone has to love that. I'm considering buying The Outer Worlds for it, but as MrF only moved in a few weeks ago, departing this realm to live on another one so soon seems a bit mean.

Also are you all aware of the Extra Life pod. It's brilliant, it's the woman who was on 8-bit on Dave (and is one of the Scummy Mummies) and the video games editor of The Guardian talking to slebs about their favourite video games and video game memories.

• Heart
I'm going to show my age now, because my first introduction to games was one of these:

Then I had an Acorn Electron, which is what my school recommended parents get if you couldn't afford a BBC Micro, followed by an Amstrad, after which I was *finally* allowed a console, which was a Sega Megadrive. Had the original GameBoy and got addicted to Tetris. PS1 and PS2, ex-husband got custody of the PS2 and all the games when we split up and I didn't get another console until having a PS3 about 8 years ago. I love RPGs, but so rarely get a chance to game now that I've mainly switched over to shorter games - I love the Mystery Case Files games on Big Fish and the Puppetville series. But sometimes I've got enough going on in my life that I just need to switch my brain off, hence I'm currently working my way through Cooking Stars and have developed an unhealthy addiction to Gold and Goblins on my phone!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Love this! First games I remember are Shinobi and Mortal Kombat on my brother’s Sega Master System.

Loved Theme Hospital and Theme Park on the PC when I was a kid. Tried getting into Two Point Hospital when it came out but I rage-quit because it was too hard. Still play Rollercoaster Tycoon every now and then when I fancy it.

I’ve played The Sims since it’s release in 2000 and still I can quite easily spend all evening playing it and ignoring my family. Became addicted to Stardew Valley during lockdown. I prefer simulation sort of games. Anything with fighting stresses the hell out of me and I end up panic-shooting everything.
I loved making the rollercoasters crash in Rollercoaster Tycoon! Same appeal as Sim murders.

I've never been a hardcore gamer but PC games were a big part of my childhood. Until I was 9 we lived in a part of East Asia where there were markets full of pirated games, and my dad would take us there for a treat (early lessons in morality). We had consoles from time to time, but I always preferred the PC. We used to sit around as a family taking it in turns to play Prince of Persia. I thought my dad was a tech wizard because he knew how to install games.

My absolute favourite games ever are the point & click adventures from LucasArts. Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango...adventure games pre-internet were great, there were no walkthroughs so you just had to puzzle things out yourself. Brilliant.

Nowadays, my laptop isn't beefy enough for most modern games but I enjoy getting classics from Steam sometimes!

PS Sims 2 = best Sims

I loved the point and click adventures, bought some in a Steam sale a few years ago. One of the first I played as a kid was the 101 Dalmatians storybook lol.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines are really fun PC games too.

GameCube is probably my favourite console. So many good games e.g. Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Wind Waker, Mario Kart: Double Dash etc. Also, Tekken 3 on the PS1 is a classic.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My first ever console was the original game boy. My aunt passed it on to me with games like Tetris and Warioland. I ended up breaking the screen in a rage playing Pokemon yellow when I was about 9😂 I really regret not keeping it as it was probably fixable. Same with my gameboy colour which I sold to a friend at the time for £5😭 I’ve been gaming since childhood. Favourite games growing up were pokemon, Theme hospital/park, roller coaster tycoon, spyro the dragon, crash bandicoot, crash team racing, the sims, zoo tycoon, Rayman.

Nowadays I still enjoy the same kinds of games I did growing up along with titles with more grown up themes like the Uncharted Series, The Last of Us 1 & 2 and hands down probably my favourite two video games ever Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2. Rdr2 especially is a total masterpiece, I’ve played it so many times and am currently going for 100% which is something I rarely bother with in games but I love it so much.

I bought my kids a switch for Christmas so I’ve been playing that a bit recently. I find Minecraft is actually really fun in creative mode, and it’s fun to play multiplayer with the kids. Mario is fun but incredibly frustrating at times. I found Pokémon sword to be a bit of a disappointment.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Oooo good thread - we have a gaming PC arriving tonight so any recommendations for games are much appreciated! Planning on getting the Xbox Game Pass subscription for PC.

Growing up I loved the Pokemon games for Gameboy and I played Rayman and Crash Bandicoot on PS1. For PC gaming I loved the Sims, Theme Park World, Rollercoaster Tycoon etc etc.

We have a PS4 and I'm loving playing Witcher 3: Wild Hunt just now. Great game. I'm 95 hours in and haven't completed the story yet (although I'm close) and there are still two expansion packs to play after. Partner is 120+ hours in and he's on the final expansion pack which seems huge! It was cheap in a sale so it's been great value for money.

I also have a Switch and have a few games for that - Animal Crossing, Pokemon Lets Go Eevee (great nostalgia value and so much less frustrating as you don't have to physically battle Pokemon to catch them), Rayman, Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart and the recent Mario pack which had the three older games in it. Loving Super Mario Sunshine.

• Heart
I’ve recently downloaded House Flipper on Steam. It’s ok but not that challenging or fun, just doing up houses and onto the next mission. My go to is sims 2, always have and always will be, not a fan on the newer ones. If I had a better PC I think house flipper might be good. I’ve also heard about a new life simulation game coming out soon, I think it’s called Paralives. Can’t wait for that. I think something needs to come out to rival the sims or atleast try.
I love House Flipper because it's so chill! It does get repetitive though but the DLC helped with some of that.

I'm a very casual gamer and generally play simulation things where I can build/own/decorate a house because I live in the South East of England so this is pretty far from reality for me 😂 I've played the Sims since its first ever release up until now (Sims 2 + pets expansion forever 😍). Also Animal Crossing on the Switch has been my most played recently but I am starting to get a bit bored now.

On my Steam I've got House Flipper, Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo (got a gaming PC entirely to play this 😂), Two Point Hospital, Jurassic World Evolution, Cities Skylines, Stardew Valley and recently got The Tenants.

I've always grown up with consoles from the MegaDrive to PS1, Dreamcast, Gamecube etc. Played all the obvious games like Sonic, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Mario Kart etc!

• Heart
I'm due a new PC - mine is now 7 years old and prone to randomly crashing with an error message that says it can't find the hard drive. And I like the sound of this House Flipper game :) I'm a freelance transcriber, so I assume if I buy a gaming PC rather than a business one, it'll be able to handle all the video and audio I have to play easily?

Reactions: 5
I’ve been a bit addicted to Tetris 99 on the switch over the entire course of the pandemic. I never really gamed when I was younger but MrBol is quite into it and while he’s not converted me to football manager he’s got me into some of the Nintendo stuff. Pacman99 which came out last week is pretty good too.

Over the years we’ve had a Wii and a Wii U, with all the sporting interactive gadgets, that was fun. Now we have a Switch and there’s been loads of Mario games on it also. It’s amazing how they’ve evolved, the graphics are stunning now. Our son likes Animal Crossing.

Years ago I played an Aliens game, that was very memorable, with atmospheric music (PlayStation?) and I dimly recall a Phantasy Star adventure game, on a Megadrive? I think we had a Dreamcast once as well.

I’m old enough to remember Pong on the TV!

Reactions: 4
Shamelessly coming here from various other threads.

Does anyone remember Fairlight? It was one of the first games I had and it was the best thing ever....
6D0C2EE1-87E6-481F-BD08-81151D92A23C.jpeg

Reactions: 4
Buzzing that there's a gaming thread! I'm a bit of a video game fiend, especially during lockdown, I think gaming has kept many minds sane over the last 15 months.

My first console was a game boy colour then a ps2 and I grew up on the family friendly holy trinity of Spyro, Pokémon and... Grand theft auto...I have no idea how that got past my parents I assume it was one of the games that came with the console when they bought it 🤷‍♀️

I genuinely miss the era of the Nintendo Wii, I don't feel like we've had a console since that brings families together like that did, who doesn't fondly remember crushing their family at mario kart? Or their grandma launching a Wii remote into the ceiling at 50 mph trying to bowl a strike? I wish that style of game would make a mainstream comeback.

• Heart
Glad to see other simulator fans, Cities: Skylines is such a good one! I must confess my most-played game on Steam is ...Euro Truck Simulator 2. Don't give a duck or know anything about trucks or trucking (I chose my truck based purely on how huge the horn noise is) but there's something really engrossing about it. Nothing like putting on 80s radio and taking seventeen tonnes of beef from France to Hungary.

GTA: Vice City is probably my favourite game of all time @Shesaidwhat? it's the only GTA I've ever bothered to complete 100%. The newer ones don't do anything for me. I didn't like GTA4 and wasn't fussed over GTA5 either. Haha @Switchstreetz I mentioned on the Off-Topic thread before that my parents let me play GTA2 on the PS1, I also have to assume they didn't know what it was and thought it was some sort of racing game.

Speaking of fever dream games, did anyone ever play Decap Attack on the Megadrive? You're a mummy and attack people by shooting your own face out of your torso. There were some wild things out there in the early days of consoles.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Buzzing that there's a gaming thread! I'm a bit of a video game fiend, especially during lockdown, I think gaming has kept many minds sane over the last 15 months.

My first console was a game boy colour then a ps2 and I grew up on the family friendly holy trinity of Spyro, Pokémon and... Grand theft auto...I have no idea how that got past my parents I assume it was one of the games that came with the console when they bought it 🤷‍♀️

I genuinely miss the era of the Nintendo Wii, I don't feel like we've had a console since that brings families together like that did, who doesn't fondly remember crushing their family at mario kart? Or their grandma launching a Wii remote into the ceiling at 50 mph trying to bowl a strike? I wish that style of game would make a mainstream comeback.
I agree about the Wii games. So many games seem quite violent and sweary now, too. My husband plays Far Cry and it’s full of f this and that, when kids are about or who play it too! (Don’t mean to sound like an old prude.)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.