Vets Fees

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This news has been pretty prominent on TV today and I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on it?

Personally, I welcome it. Cannot be investigated/changed quick enough for my liking. Vets undoubtedly do a wonderful job, and it must be very emotionally challenging. I also understand they have massive overheads to cover, but my God! They know how to charge!

A few examples from my experience in the last few years....

Just today I've requested a repeat prescription for pain meds for my dog. A paper prescription so I can buy online and save quite a significant amount of money. Do you know how much the vet wants just to print/sign and email me the script?

£25!!!!

That is nothing to do with overheads like equipment or staffing. It'd take less than 10 minutes to do with only two people and a printer involved. I don't mind paying a fair fee, but this is borderline racketeering if you ask me.

Another experience that's similar....My other dog needed a course of antibiotics for over a month. The first two weeks worth I got from the vet at the cost of £175.00!!! For 28 tablets. Do you know how much the same course costs to buy online? Less than £7!!!! The markup on that is absolutely insane. Even with the cost of the prescription (which two years ago was only £8!) it was still outrageously cheaper to buy online that through the vet.

Worst still are companies like Vets Now. Who literally have pet owners over a barrel in emergency situations. Especially as they're buying out all the independent vets offering overnight/emergency care, meaning most folks have nowhere left to turn.

About five years ago, my youngest dog came down with a horrible internal infection (that was acquired while at the vets in their hydrotherapy tank!) and was rushed to our usual vets. Because of the state she was in, she needed monitoring and fluids overnight before they could operate in the morning. The usual vet doesn't offer any overnight care, so we had to take her to the nearest Vets Now. Our vet supplied the fluids and meds, so all VN needed to do was monitor her temp and condition and be there to operate should she take a turn for the worse.

She was with them for less than 8 hours.....and it cost me £900!!!! £900 just to take her temperature and make sure she wasn't actively dying! Over £100 an hour!

The pet insurance also charged me an additional excess because taking her to VN was considered a separate claim. So I was out of pocket even after paying extortionate monthly insurance fees.

The whole veterinary system needs looking at because why they do provide a valued and essential service, I do think many (especially these franchises) are taking the absolute piss out of people.

Also, it's a very clear picture of what life would be like in this country without the NHS.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
100% agree about your point about life without NHS.

I understand why vet services are expensive but the medication costs are a piss take. It costs me about 60 quid for a 10 day course of antibiotics for my cat. These are the exact same antibiotics that I would get if I had an infection, even need to sign a waiver saying I understand this is human medication 😅

Reactions: 6
For years our Vet was a small practice ran by 2 guys & their other staff, you never made an appointment, just turned up first come first served style.
Sometimes they never even charged for things like nail clipping, one of the Vets even came to our house to put our old greyhound to sleep.
They sold the practice around 8 years ago as one Vet retired, the other still works under the new company, it's still a decent practice but prices went through the roof.
Luckily we are still able to specifically ask to see Eddie, but we know he won't be there forever.
I read that around 6 large companies own almost all the Vet practices in the UK, there definitely needs to be more regulation regarding what they are allowed to charge people.

Reactions: 6
I was loathed to comment on this, but as a Veterinary Nurse, my thoughts.

Prescriptions. A 15 minute vet appointment (at my practice) is £40. So effectively 1min of vet time = £2.60. Our £23 prescription charge equates to about 9 minutes. Which I think is fair. How much does a solicitor charge for a letter?
Online Pharmacies can sell drugs for less than veterinary practices can buy them for from our wholesalers.
If you are against the corporates such as IVC, CVS, Medivet, Vets4Pets, Linnaeus, consider what else they own and what else they are profiteering from.
(Pssst, IVC own Pet Drugs Online)

Regarding using human drugs. You realise that's just how much they cost? @Mamacita, I'm intrigued, how much are you buying them for from your doctor?

@ranchdistressing . I'm really confused about your insurance saying that's a separate claim, pretty sure that's not at all right. £900 for an overnight stay does sound extortionate, depending on what's wrong with your pet and the care required. When I work nights, I doing a lot more than just taking your animals temperature!

Clients expectationsband demands of vet practices has grown exponentially in the past 6 years. The phones calls we get at 2/3/4am are insane and it takes its toll.

The main thing I would like the public to remember is. The vets, nurses, receptionist you are seeing daily are (mostly) not in charge of setting prices, and we certainly aren't taking in £100k's a year. New graduate vets earn between 35k-40k. Usually working 40 hour week, nights and weekends on call. As a 16yr experienced RVN, working 37hrs /week, with management responsibilities I'm on £30k.

My profession has one of the highest suicide rates of all. Please be kind to us.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I was loathed to comment on this, but as a Veterinary Nurse, my thoughts.

Prescriptions. A 15 minute vet appointment (at my practice) is £40. So effectively 1min of vet time = £2.60. Our £23 prescription charge equates to about 9 minutes. Which I think is fair. How much does a solicitor charge for a letter?
Online Pharmacies can sell drugs for less than veterinary practices can buy them for from our wholesalers.
If you are against the corporates such as IVC, CVS, Medivet, Vets4Pets, Linnaeus, consider what else they own and what else they are profiteering from.
(Pssst, IVC own Pet Drugs Online)

Regarding using human drugs. You realise that's just how much they cost? @Mamacita, I'm intrigued, how much are you buying them for from your doctor?

@ranchdistressing . I'm really confused about your insurance saying that's a separate claim, pretty sure that's not at all right. £900 for an overnight stay does sound extortionate, depending on what's wrong with your pet and the care required. When I work nights, I doing a lot more than just taking your animals temperature!

Clients expectationsband demands of vet practices has grown exponentially in the past 6 years. The phones calls we get at 2/3/4am are insane and it takes its toll.

The main thing I would like the public to remember is. The vets, nurses, receptionist you are seeing daily are (mostly) not in charge of setting prices, and we certainly aren't taking in £100k's a year. New graduate vets earn between 35k-40k. Usually working 40 hour week, nights and weekends on call. As a 16yr experienced RVN, working 37hrs /week, with management responsibilities I'm on £30k.

My profession has one of the highest suicide rates of all. Please be kind to us.
I live in Scotland so don't pay for prescription meds so maybe I'm spoiled 😅 but Doxycycline in superdrug is 0.65 per capsule. A course of Doxycycline for my cat is like max 10 capsules so 6.50. A long way from 60 quid

Reactions: 2
I understand why vet services are expensive but the medication costs are a piss take. It costs me about 60 quid for a 10 day course of antibiotics for my cat. These are the exact same antibiotics that I would get if I had an infection, even need to sign a waiver saying I understand this is human medication.
Had the same issue with Omeprazol. One of my dogs can't take pain because they make him vomit but Omperazol prevents it. The Vet wanted to charge me £75 for a 10 day prescription. I nearly died!

I get it for less than a tenner on a pre-paid prescription certificate. Fortunately, I had a surplus too so managed to dodge that one, but the mark up is absolutely criminal.

I get that we pay a reduced price for NHS prescriptions due to the arrangement with pharma and what not, but holy tit! That is a major and unnecessary mark up!

For years our Vet was a small practice ran by 2 guys & their other staff, you never made an appointment, just turned up first come first served style.
Sometimes they never even charged for things like nail clipping, one of the Vets even came to our house to put our old greyhound to sleep.
Sadly, this is what seems to be missing in veterinary medicine. Another horrid tale is our vet charging £9.40 to tie a piece of dental floss around a skin growth, which I could have done at home for free. It took less than 20 seconds to do.

I understand their time is valuable, but when you get charged that price for things like this it really does leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

A solicitor's letter is not a fair comparison. That takes a lot of effort and understanding of a case to provide the correct written response. I cannot see how that in any way equates to processing a prescription, especially for an established/longterm condition.

Also, when I've been charged just under a tenner for a vet to tie dental floss around a skin growth, which took less than 20seconds - I struggle to find sympathy for those who decide these prices. It's extortion.

Another example, my youngest dog suffered a spinal injury and temporarily lost the use of her bladder. 24 hours after she came home we were having a hell of a time expressing her bladder. We knew if she didn't pee she'd be in real trouble, so we took her to the vet, in office hours....with our own puppy pads.

Nurse came out to the car, within less than thirty seconds she'd expressed the bladder and we were off home. We didn't even step foot in the practice. Yet the bill came in at £10.20. For using our pee pads, in the back of our car, simply to help a paralyzed dog pee to prevent serious medical complications?

I legitimately don't know how they sleep at night by charging these kinds of fees. I appreciate that the vets and VN's are not always the decision makers in pricing, but something has to be done because these kinds of costs are profiteering.

Of course, but there is no way a 0.25p (to the public) per dose drug works out to be £6 at wholesale to vets. Not even including delivery charges or membership fees does it justify that percentage of a markup.

We disputed it, even with the financial ombudsman, but they ruled in the insurance's favour. (Surprise surprise!) I've no doubt you're doing more in most cases, but when our vet had provided the fluids and our dog was nil-by-mouth due to needing surgery first thing in the AM, other than taking her out to pee there wasn't much else to do. They admitted as much, so I really struggle to see how they can justify over £100 an hour.

I understand that to be true, and I would never take my displeasure with the pricing out on the actual vet or VN.

However, I know two close friends who have actually committed suicide due to the loss of their pets in direct relation to veterinary failings/charges and another family member who was found with literally seconds to spare. Who is still, four years later, battling mental health due to the loss of her dog and the horrendous experience she had with the vet she'd trusted to help him.

So while I do respect how difficult and demanding the job must be, I've also seen how badly the charges and behaviour/choices made can impact on everyday people who are literally at the mercy of these professionals to save a creature they love more than their own lives, in some cases.

A better balance needs to be found with pricing because if it continues to rise, animals will suffer and I'm sure we can agree, none of us want that.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Our vets just posted a thing about costs an why some are going up, it gave a breakdown of everything an mentioned that they also had to think of shareholders an that was why prices where going up, it's a private practice so I don't know if maybe it's shareholders that contribute to it so it's why they needed to think of them when discussing why prices are going up

Honestly am kindi happy with mine, I do love that they do a monthly payment scheme an you get your check ups, medication, vaccines, dental care, flea care etc all in with the monthly payment, I do have insurance which am grateful for cause bunny cost close to £500 when he took unwell with his operation which he needed to get an the vets dealt directly with the insurance as well, thankfully he's only there twice a year once for his vaccines and check up an the other for his check up an it's like £40 per visit which seems to be the normal

I wrote out a pretty lengthy reply, but I've realised I don't have the energy to debate this.
Wishing your pets good health.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Our vets is £45 per consultation which on face value feels pricey, but when I factor in the fact that I can always get a same day appointment and free parking right outside and they don’t ever try and upsell me on any treatments because they know I’m not on insurance I think it’s actually quite reasonable.

Reactions: 3
VetsNow are insanely overpriced. We had an out of hours emergency with our dog about 7 years ago and were signposted to a locally run animal a&e type practice, the consulation cost was obviously more than a normal appointment but the care was incredible and I didn't feel completely ripped off at the end of it. Last year we had another and were told by that same practice that they now can't see us as VetsNow have the contract for our normal practice so we had no choice but to go to them instead. Not only were the fees for parts of it ridiculous (£40 on top of the £200 injection to administer it) but they sneaked on a charity donation too probably knowing full well that at 2am, stressed out and shattered we wouldn't notice or care enough to contest it.

Our vets is £45 per consultation which on face value feels pricey, but when I factor in the fact that I can always get a same day appointment and free parking right outside and they don’t ever try and upsell me on any treatments because they know I’m not on insurance I think it’s actually quite reasonable.
What concerns me is now you'll be charged a consult fee AND the price of the treatment/medication. It always used to be if they prescribed something, or did jabs etc, you wouldn't pay the consult fee too....but now it seems a lot of places are charging for both at full price and to me that's absolutely unacceptable. I'm okay with paying for a consult, but to charge an obscene mark up on meds AND a consultation fee is just a piss take if you ask me.

It's really no wonder so many pets are ending up in rescue centres because loving owners are getting priced out of pet ownership all the time now.

VetsNow are insanely overpriced. We had an out of hours emergency with our dog about 7 years ago and were signposted to a locally run animal a&e type practice, the consulation cost was obviously more than a normal appointment but the care was incredible and I didn't feel completely ripped off at the end of it. Last year we had another and were told by that same practice that they now can't see us as VetsNow have the contract for our normal practice so we had no choice but to go to them instead. Not only were the fees for parts of it ridiculous (£40 on top of the £200 injection to administer it) but they sneaked on a charity donation too probably knowing full well that at 2am, stressed out and shattered we wouldn't notice or care enough to contest it.
Yep, VetsNow are the absolute worst. They should in no way be allowed to operate, I don't know a single person who's used them who hasn't been absolutely extorted for emergency care. Most independent vets used to run their own A&E/overnight services, which allowed for a great continuity of care and familiarity, which I feel is important for sick pets, but they've almost all sold out to VetsNow and someone needs to find out why....

I'm wondering if VetsNow have bought them all up and is transferring the cost of acquiring these independent practices onto the customer. Because while I understand any out of hour service comes at a premium, their mark up is absolutely disgusting!

Whatever the case, they've absolutely got people over a barrel for emergency care. I know plenty of people who are always anxious on weekends and bank holidays because of experiences with VetsNow and having had to burden the costs for out of hours care. Once you've been there as a pet owner, it certainly leaves a mark and a niggle in the back of your mind wondering when you'll have to turn to those crooks again!

Why shouldn’t they charge for a consult fee as well as the medications? They are spending their time looking at your pet, examining them, possibly doing tests - deciding what medication is needed. You’re paying for their time and knowledge, so imo you should have to pay for that. Without that time and knowledge you wouldn’t be getting any drugs.
I just had a quick google because I wasn’t sure but if a human went to a private doctor they’d pay a consult fee, prescription fee and then pay for the medication, so why should vets be any different as they are providing the same service just for animals. I think maybe the only time they don’t charge for consult fees are vaccinations from what I’ve seen.

I’d say reason most practices don’t do their own out of hours anymore is due to staffing issues plus probably the extra cost to the practices. Theres a shortage of vets and nurses in the UK, which brexit made worse as a lot of vets were from the EU.
Probably easier to find staff for full time night shifts than doing a mix of days/nights but a lot of practices that would do their own out of hours would use on call staff so they wouldn’t always be at the practice. This will also possibly effect the running of the day time practice if staff who have been there all night for an emergency then cannot work the next day. Also if a practice does out of hours with on call staff then animals may possibly be left in the practice alone at night with check ups throughout as the staff won’t likely stay the whole night, which a lot of owners wouldn’t like.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
they don't charge for consultation fees when you take your dog back for the post op check on stitches ect.

Reactions: 3
I don't know if maybe mine is just different because it's private or maybe because it's just a rabbit an not a dog/cat but when he goes for his vaccines I just pay the vaccines, the consultation is in with it an he also gets a quick look over

I also didn't pay when he needed to go back after his operation since you got a free check up which actually turned out to be twice as he had developed an abscess so he was back once then they discovered it an I paid for his medication (got back from insurance) then they asked to see him a week later an again never paid (they said if it wasn't for the abscess then he wouldn't have been back in) they also gave me a ton of different sized syringes during his operation period that I never paid for as well, they knew from having him in he was a difficult bun so when I said the syringe was giving me problems they gave me a few to try

Again could be because he's a rabbit or maybe it's cause it's a private an not a franchise so they have slightly more freedom over what an when they will charge or not

Why shouldn’t they charge for a consult fee as well as the medications? They are spending their time looking at your pet, examining them, possibly doing tests - deciding what medication is needed. You’re paying for their time and knowledge, so imo you should have to pay for that. Without that time and knowledge you wouldn’t be getting any drugs.
I just had a quick google because I wasn’t sure but if a human went to a private doctor they’d pay a consult fee, prescription fee and then pay for the medication, so why should vets be any different as they are providing the same service just for animals. I think maybe the only time they don’t charge for consult fees are vaccinations from what I’ve seen.

I’d say reason most practices don’t do their own out of hours anymore is due to staffing issues plus probably the extra cost to the practices. Theres a shortage of vets and nurses in the UK, which brexit made worse as a lot of vets were from the EU.
Probably easier to find staff for full time night shifts than doing a mix of days/nights but a lot of practices that would do their own out of hours would use on call staff so they wouldn’t always be at the practice. This will also possibly effect the running of the day time practice if staff who have been there all night for an emergency then cannot work the next day. Also if a practice does out of hours with on call staff then animals may possibly be left in the practice alone at night with check ups throughout as the staff won’t likely stay the whole night, which a lot of owners wouldn’t like.
I'm not saying the medications should be free, but they claim the absolutely insane mark up on them is to cover overheads (which includes fees for their expertise) and what not. So if that's being covered by the price of the medication, what's the additional consult fee for? They literally sell drugs that go for 0.25p (inc VAT) a dose for £7 each!

I'm not saying they shouldn't be charging, I'm saying their fees shouldn't be so extortionate because it's beginning to look like profiteering when so many practices (usually franchises) are pricing pet owners out of ownership and contributing to the rescue center crisis.

Not to mention, potentially leading to animal suffering and death. As it was reported yesterday people are treating their pets with human meds because they can't afford the treatment they need - that is beyond messed up!

It's not in any way comparable to say "oh, a private doctor charges for x, y and z" because we always have the NHS to fall back on regardless. People go private for quicker, more bespoke care. They don't HAVE TO pay to access treatment in the same way pet owners do.

There's also no private emergency care, so people are never in the situation of being faced with the horrific choice of being unable to avoid to save someone they love in the same way pet owners are in critical conditions. In those cases, vets absolutely have folks over a barrel and there should be laws against profiting on that, if only in the name of animal welfare.

There is literally no alternative to consulting a vet when your pet is sick, and putting accessing that care (which is essentially an otherwise inaccessible resource/commodity) at such an extortionate price is, as I said, essentially profiteering.

I have no doubt that Brexit is responsible for a lot of this, including the massive hikes in treatment prices since around 2019. And yes, I understand it's difficult to get staff to do any kind of night shift in any profession, but speaking from what I've seen in my area - there are eight vets within a 10 mile radius. In 2016/7 - eight of them did their own overnight care, with a veterinary nurse in-house, with a vet on call. Now, 2024....not a single one of them offer their own emergency or overnight care. Even when an animal is admitted in office hours they have to be transferred (by the owner) out to VetsNow for monitoring, or as you say, they're left alone all night.

I don't think it's right to leave sick animals (sometimes critically ill) with no care through the night, but I think it's just as wrong to expect owners to pay ridiculous trumped up charges at a franchise to monitor their pets while their usual vet is closed. It's not only ridiculously expensive, it's also distressing for both the animal and their owners.

Companies like VetsNow have an absolute monopoly on emergency pet care and that is not right, regardless of the reason for vets selling out to them.

they don't charge for consultation fees when you take your dog back for the post op check on stitches ect.
Some do and if they don't it's all included in the overall price of the surgery. And when they charge ridiculous sums for more minor 'treatments' (for example just shy of £10 to put a piece of dental floss around a skin growth) I don't think it's saying much that there's no charge for signing off on an actual surgical wound.

Again could be because he's a rabbit or maybe it's cause it's a private an not a franchise so they have slightly more freedom over what an when they will charge or not
I'd say it's probably because your vet is not a franchise. Most independent vets don't advertise the fact they're owned by a franchise though, so it looks like a good independent practice, when it's far from it. Most indies are selling out to franchises/corporations on the quiet.

I think a lot of it also depends on pet insurance. I've seen several vets eyes light up when they know my pets are insured. I've also compared the cost of my 'insured' care to the costs for the same/similar care friends and family have received for their uninsured pets and there is definitely more/higher charges when insurance is involved.

And again, this is why we should be terrified of losing the NHS.

yes coming to think of it possibly the payment for the after care was already in the bill and paid for 🤔

yes coming to think of it possibly the payment for the after care was already in the bill and paid for 🤔
It would have been. They'd be risking the animals welfare to charge for the removal of stitches separately. I'm sure many owners would bypass the vet and try removing them at home and cause God knows what complications as a result. So the cost has to be included for the animals protection.

I get what you are saying about it being ridiculous over priced, an like I said earlier mine posted a statement about shareholders which have to do with price a lot so I don't think the prices they charge are 100% coming from the vets, I think they are also having to please others which is causing it

I also see about the NHS, but we are lucky to have that, if you were to look at the costs of things that we are fortunate not to pay for because of the NHS suddenly 4k for a dogs operation is not as bad as it seems, my friend in America broke his arm, they had insurance which concerned the vast majority of it an he was still 9k in dept which he had to pay for basically less than 24 hours in the hospital, the costs of humans compared to animals is insane but we just don't see it because we are fortunate for the NHS, an I do agree that it would be terrifying to lose that

It is a shame that your vets don't have the 24/7 care but it's not the case for all, mines has 24/7 care with Nightshift staff, I could phone at 3am an either take mine to the vet or have them come to me, yes it would be double the price but I also understand 3am is outside of sociable hours

Am not trying to cause arguments, the prices do suck going up but I feel like you have maybe had bad experience with yours, I've never been to a franchise one so I don't know what it's like, I know you said some independent might be selling out to franchises but mines is run by two friends that wanted their own business so for the most part I believe it's mostly private with shareholders involved

Apart from the price I really can't fault mine, they are absolutely wonderful with my rabbit despite him being difficult for them to handle, usually a consultation should be 20mins for a rabbit but I've been in there almost 40mins at times because he just would not cooperate with them an they were totally understanding an fine about it, they even have a little joke about calling him the "lady's man" because he's smitten with the females an attacks the males lol, an at any time if I need to phone for advice they are more than happy to have a vet phone back free

I have to agree that medical care is expensive and in general vet fees are probably justified but I'm sticking with my original comment about mark up on medication being ridiculous.

However in the end owning a pet is a privilege and is not mandatory, so people shouldn't get one if they can't afford vet fees and/or insurance.

However in the end owning a pet is a privilege and is not mandatory, so people shouldn't get one if they can't afford vet fees and/or insurance.
In a sense I do agree with that, pets are a privilege, but I do know from personal reasons that pets do wonders for mental health, having a little companion especially when you are on your own can really make a difference, I feel like if you are struggling then being more a foster home is better as the company's that do it will cover the vet fees for you but you get the benefit of having the pet