Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A Lidl local to me had loads of vegan stuff in on Monday. Got the 'cold cut' slices in the fridge to try. They also had the frozen mini sausage rolls for 49p on (I'm assuming) clearance.

Reactions: 3
Krispy Kremes are delicious - especially the apple, and me and husband just enjoyed the ASDA Philly Cheesesteak heated up for 1m 30s. (From sandwich section).

I also had the ASDA "chicken" tikka wrap. It's very mild and could do with some seasoning but a great option if you're on the go or too lazy, ill to cook etc.

I always lose weight over Xmas for some reason...not intentional...and put it on trying the veganuary releases ha.

Hoping the new Quorn sandwiches will be nice.

Reactions: 2
Krispy Kremes are delicious - especially the apple, and me and husband just enjoyed the ASDA Philly Cheesesteak heated up for 1m 30s. (From sandwich section).

I also had the ASDA "chicken" tikka wrap. It's very mild and could do with some seasoning but a great option if you're on the go or too lazy, ill to cook etc.

I always lose weight over Xmas for some reason...not intentional...and put it on trying the veganuary releases ha.

Hoping the new Quorn sandwiches will be nice.
Sainsburys are doing this isn't chicken tikka roll

Attachments

• Heart
Im not vegan but I am trying to reduce my meat intake wherever possible.

I got the Garden Gourmet Cumberland Sausages from Tesco and they are really good. My veggie sausage of choice is usually the Richmond ones but these Garden Gourmet ones are really tasty and have the flavours of a cumberland.

I also bought the Wicked Kitchen Cauliflower Katsu Curry in the meal deal. Plan on having it tomorrow night instead of a takeaway. Will report back :)

Sainsbury’s had a lot of money off deals in the plant based ranges today. I picked up this lot as well as their own brand tofu to try.

I’m going to make a butter ‘chicken’ curry tonight with the tofu and hope my kids won’t notice it’s not chicken 🤣

Attachments

Reactions: 1
Sainsbury’s had a lot of money off deals in the plant based ranges today. I picked up this lot as well as their own brand tofu to try.

I’m going to make a butter ‘chicken’ curry tonight with the tofu and hope my kids won’t notice it’s not chicken 🤣
I love their own brand tofu! Are you using a recipe for the butter chicken curry?

I'm not vegan or even veggie but make an effort to eat less meat, particularly red meat. I don't really eat burgers or sausages anymore unless they are the veggie ones, I just prefer them. Personal faves are the Denny ones.

Also quite enjoy these vegan sausage rolls with tomato soup for lunch.
1641468256286.png

Can anyone help? I’m after a decent vegan cheese. I am at the point of becoming pescatarian . I am 100% plant based and have been for several years. However I was so disheartened over the holiday period by the array of sub par cheeses. Despite their claims, my cheese boards - of which I had quite a few- were disappointing. I am lactose intolerant anyway, so am thinking lactose free cheddar style cheese. But I really don’t want to throw in the towel. Any ideas?

Can anyone help? I’m after a decent vegan cheese. I am at the point of becoming flexitarian. I am 100% plant based and have been for several years. However I was so disheartened over the holiday period by the array of sub par cheeses. Despite their claims, my cheese boards - of which I had quite a few- were disappointing. I am lactose intolerant anyway, so am thinking lactose free cheddar style cheese. But I really don’t want to throw in the towel. Any ideas?
Have you tried the applewood & the Mexicana ones i like them :)

I have tried Applewood it’s better than most but not great. I haven’t tried the Mexicana. So thanks for the glimmer of hope 🙂

Can anyone help? I’m after a decent vegan cheese. I am at the point of becoming pescatarian . I am 100% plant based and have been for several years. However I was so disheartened over the holiday period by the array of sub par cheeses. Despite their claims, my cheese boards - of which I had quite a few- were disappointing. I am lactose intolerant anyway, so am thinking lactose free cheddar style cheese. But I really don’t want to throw in the towel. Any ideas?
I don't like any of the cheeses so I know how your feeling and have thought a few times about adding some dairy back in but feeling bad about it. I always had cheese and pickle/tomato/coleslaw sandwiches and now I just don't eat lunch or have some toast which isn't great. I think cheddar is naturally low in lactose and babybel is lactose free

• Sad
I don't like any of the cheeses so I know how your feeling and have thought a few times about adding some dairy back in but feeling bad about it. I always had cheese and pickle/tomato/coleslaw sandwiches and now I just don't eat lunch or have some toast which isn't great. I think cheddar is naturally low in lactose and babybel is lactose free
Have you tried the squeaky bean pieces that are like chicken, I know not cheese but I like them with salad in a sandwich/wrap and I am quite fussy. @StrattyNeet I know what you mean I think its alright on toast, tbh the Mexicana is similar to that one just spicy. I have seen a few people on vegan groups recommend other vegan cheeses that you can't buy in supermarkets, from small brands online but they are quite expensive. Hopefully they will bring out better vegan cheese soon, I had the dominos pizza and thought that was good not sure what cheese they use though

Have you tried the squeaky bean pieces that are like chicken, I know not cheese but I like them with salad in a sandwich/wrap and I am quite fussy. @StrattyNeet I know what you mean I think its alright on toast, tbh the Mexicana is similar to that one just spicy. I have seen a few people on vegan groups recommend other vegan cheeses that you can't buy in supermarkets, from small brands online but they are quite expensive. Hopefully they will bring out better vegan cheese soon, I had the dominos pizza and thought that was good not sure what cheese they use though
I like the squeaky bean chicken slices and the cajun/tikka bits or I'll sometimes do a veggie finger, salad, mayo/sweet chilli wrap if I'm home.

Violife mature cheddar was lovely when we had it at Christmas much better than the normal one

I like the applewood one but only melted. And the violife camembert. I find all of the cream cheeses pretty good - particularly the new boursin, and I've heard the company behind it is releasing more this month.

If you're after fancy cheeses try honestly tasty or Tyne cheese.

The violife epic mature cheddar block is the nicest I’ve found. I used to like the applewood slices too, and the Tesco jalapeño cheese is nice for making a nacho cheese sauce

This may be a bit boring but my favourite is the original Violife, I also like the smoked applewood and the Violife smoked cheddar slices as well. I'm not sure how long you've been plant based for* but when I first stopped eating dairy cheese I had to wait awhile before introducing vegan cheese into my diet because the taste and texture seemed weird by comparison, especially the stronger cheeses which I'm still not a huge fan of.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself, if you have lactose free cheddar and have everything else plant based then that's fine because that's what works for you!

*Edit: sorry your post clearly said you'd been plant based for years!

Reactions: 4
Cheese is something i just kind of said goodbye to. I don't love vegan cheese and only eat it occasionally. The cream cheese style replacements seem to be the best and I like the violife parm for pasta but most others I don't love that much because of the texture.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.