Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got “the green roasting tin” by rukmini iyer for Christmas and it’s been great. It’s split into vegetarian and vegan but a lot of the vegetarian recipes could be made vegan.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
For a long time I’ve been toying with the idea of going more towards plant based/vegetarian diet. I currently eat meat and dairy although I don’t eat sea food. Dairy wise it’s milk splashes for tea/coffee and cheddar cheese on things (like pizza) but I’m not a major cheese lover and I dislike cows milk taste.

I like the Alpro dairy free yogurts and have been eating them for a while and I love Oatly/Alpro hazelnut/soy milks for porridge and muesli.

I’m currently swapping out meats for veggies and packing my foods with chickpeas, lentils, pulses etc for filling power.

Does anyone have good cooking/recipe account recommendations or even cook books/websites? Really looking for variety and inspiration. Liking hearty, filling foods. I wfh and have slow cooker, food processor, air fryer etc. And want to put them to work more. Don’t want to only have the same 4/5 meals in rotation.
I really enjoy cooking from Deliciously Ella's The Plantbased Cookbook (it's all the recipes from her deli and various others - all hearty, substantial stuff. The desserts call for more 'niche' ingredients but the mains/starters are all very accessible). I also like Meera Sodha's East and Fresh India cookbooks, Leon's Fast Vegan, and Isa Chandra's Isa Does It. I'm currently waiting (excitedly!) for my pre-order of Hetty McKinnon's To Asia With Love - her recipes are great and a lot of them are available online on Bon Appetit and NY Times websites (her peanut noodles/noodle recipes in general are a staple for me).

As far as blogs go, PickUpLimes, Rainbow Plant Life, Frommybowl, NikkiVegan, and Madeleine Olivia's are really good resources. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2
If any of you live in or near Surrey, Coughlan's bakeries have SO much awesome vegan stuff. And good coffee too.

Reactions: 1
What did you buy? Do they do any ‘chicken’ pies?
I didn't see any chicken pies but they had vegan cheese and onion pasties and sausage rolls. I got a meatball marinara toasty and some yum yums and we got a Bakewell cake for later in the week.

What did you buy? Do they do any ‘chicken’ pies?
I didn't see any chicken pies but they had vegan cheese and onion pasties and sausage rolls. I got a meatball marinara toasty and some yum yums and we got a Bakewell cake for later in the week.
I just checked and they do have a helluva lot of stores. Sad that I’m not a Surrey Hun. 😆

I’ve been vegetarian for 5/6 years now and after watching Seaspiracy I want to make the commitment to a full vegan diet, then slowly introduce this into other areas like make-up/clothing ect. This thread will be really useful 😋

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Well guys, I have some news 😊 After reducing meat massively for a few years now and doing Veganuary for the third time this year, I have gone vegetarian. It's quite big for me as I thought I'd probably go back to carrying on as before, so being mostly veggie with an occasional non-veggie meal here and there, but something has changed and I realised I can't go back. So I have been fully vegetarian for 3 months now and I just needed to share it with someone 😁
I think trying some of the Vivera meals helped massively, I can just have the kind of dinner I am used to having, but it's veggie/plant based plus I think some of the foods can be cooked at a bbq so that's the summer season sorted for me. My boyfriend has been trying all different meals with me and he likes the kebabs and bacon bits ("Don't tell anyone but this veggie bacon is actually quite decent!") 😅 Since I have tried quite a few Vivera things now, here are thoughts:
Good ones
+ love the "plant bacon", very smoky,
+ love the shawarma kebab and boyfriend likes too,
+ the Greek kebab is not as spicy/well seasoned as the shawarma but it's kind of a good thing as you can add your own seasonings if you wish,
+ loved the chicken burgers, the texture was very good,
+ love the mince, great in a Bolognese which I bulked out with extra mushrooms ☺ Might try it in a lasagne next
Mixed bag
+/- the garlic Kievs - the texture of the "chicken" was great but the garlic "butter" had slightly bitter/off aftertaste. Boyfriend on the other hand loved it and said he'd have it again,
+/- the meatballs, good texture but the flavour was a bit too much like an over-processed cheap soy sausage 😣
Didn't like
- the steaks. Now, the texture is fine and the outside has a tasty chargrilled/bbq flavour but the inside just kinda taste like a cheap soy sausage. Definitely won't be buying these again!

I recently also bought the "BBQ chicken goujons" but they're just peacefully are waiting for their turn in the fridge, along with some m&s vegan ravioli (beans and spinach - the look mega tasty and I will report back once I have had them).
I'd really like to try the m&s Kievs now, I know that many people here and IRL rave about them.
I also recently tried the Domino's vegan chicken nuggets and they were tasty but I think I prefer the Papa John's ones just a touch more.
Lastly, I picked up these in Sainsbury's - has anyone had them before? Haven't decided how I will use them yet but a sausage pasta dish could be nice 🍝🍝🍝
1617090157113.png

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I miss vivera so much - we can’t get it in Ireland at the moment! The m&s Kiev’s will mean you are not on the fence about the vivera ones at all 😂
Last summer vivera had quarter pounder style burgers which were fab on the bbq. I’ve used the kebab pieces in fajitas also which I would recommend trying!

Has anyone tried the Gro plant range from the Co-op? I bought the burgers last week and they were the best I’ve tried. Interested to see if there’s anything else worth trying.

I miss vivera so much - we can’t get it in Ireland at the moment! The m&s Kiev’s will mean you are not on the fence about the vivera ones at all 😂
Last summer vivera had quarter pounder style burgers which were fab on the bbq. I’ve used the kebab pieces in fajitas also which I would recommend trying!
Oh yes, I see the burgers in Sainsbury's or Tesco's - but haven't tried yet. I couldn't see them on the Vivera website - I hope they're not being discontinued before I got to try them :oops:
My friend in Poland says they have Vivera fish fingers there - I'd love to try these 😊
And yes, I want to try the kebab pieces in wraps or something. For now, we just have them in warm pita breads with plenty of crunchy salad 😋

@Emoji I will have to check out the co-op ones. I don't have one near me but since we are out of the strict lockdown now, I can go and shop around more ☺

Oh yes, I see the burgers in Sainsbury's or Tesco's - but haven't tried yet. I couldn't see them on the Vivera website - I hope they're not being discontinued before I got to try them :oops:
My friend in Poland says they have Vivera fish fingers there - I'd love to try these 😊
And yes, I want to try the kebab pieces in wraps or something. For now, we just have them in warm pita breads with plenty of crunchy salad 😋

@Emoji I will have to check out the co-op ones. I don't have one near me but since we are out of the strict lockdown now, I can go and shop around more ☺
No no, I don’t think they’re discontinued it’s just Brexit causing stock issues for Ireland. Can’t wait for restrictions to be eased so I can take a little trip over the border to stock up!

• Sad
Has anyone tried the Gro plant range from the Co-op? I bought the burgers last week and they were the best I’ve tried. Interested to see if there’s anything else worth trying.
I've tried the cookies and they're good!

• Heart

I just looked up the range on the Co-op website. You can type in your postcode for each item to see where your nearest stockist is. Handy to check before you go.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just found this while trying to see what I could do with my tofoo sausages:
Lots of really yummy recipe ideas, some use very specific Tofoo product but others you can easily just use any plain or smoked tofu from any brand.

Yel

Spotted today in Aldi is organic vegan chocolate - a dark hazelnut one and some rice white ones.

Only tried the dark and tastes good although it's low in cocoa (52%) and not that high in hazelnuts. £1.49 3.5/5
16176223010395524227209205632435.jpg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.