Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I couldn't find any last year so made some with This Is Not Bacon and Gosh cocktail sausages. They went down really well.
Making your own is a good idea , particularly if you want them out of season.
I got some from Sainsburys.

Reactions: 1

It was actually amazing. Best fake tuna I have had. No cat food smell (IYKYK), no dodgy sour aftertaste. It had a pleasant fishy taste, I imagine they add some seaweed in the flavouring? Really convincing texture, flake-y but moist. I made it into tuna mayo and had with fresh baguette. I think it may be a bit too strange to someone who has been veggie/vegan most of their life and never tried actual tuna but for those of us who used to enjoy and have missed, it's wonderful to have tasty cruelty free alternative I will definitely buy it again and try in a pasta dish (probs something like pasta alla putanesca, with olives, capers and tomato sauce), and it would also be nice in a pasta salad or a tuna nicoise style salad. Also, I got lucky, I got it from Sainsbury's and they did some money off if you had a Nectar so I will look to stock up when it's on offer again. Now I want to try their fake salmon too but I don't think my usual Sainsbury's does it

Reactions: 4
Anyone disappointed by the vegan cheese platters available this festive season? I recall sweeping the shelves at my local ASDA last year for my annual NYE treat of cheese and wine. This year there seems to be nowt

Aldi and M&S have sets of 4 cheeses and they appear identical. I think M&S are charging twice as much though.

Anyone disappointed by the vegan cheese platters available this festive season? I recall sweeping the shelves at my local ASDA last year for my annual NYE treat of cheese and wine. This year there seems to be nowt
Morrisons have theirs out. At least £1 more expensive than last year, too.

Why not make your own up by buying separately and getting your favourites from different shops? There's always a minging one in the cheese boards, usually the blue style . However, I really like the ones with cranberry in .

I've said I'm not buying a cheese board this year cos there are always stray bits lying round for months

Oh I just keep having a mini board every day between Xmas and NY until I have none left You know like a girl dinner/snacky bits platter kind of situation. For me, the cheeses are not an issue, I will eat them either way but I don't always manage to finish a chutney and so sometimes I find a half finished jar with a bit of mold in at the back of the fridge six months after Christmas - and feel wasteful. That's why I try to eat as much of the cheeses and condiments during the Christmas break

And nobody eats all the crackers , they end up broken and stale.

Reactions: 2
Is anyone making their own yorkshires for Christmas dinner? Would they be okay to do the night before? I previously bought Mabels but they seem smaller in the foil tray and I almost laughed out loud (in disbelief) that they are £6.50 for FOUR 🫣 I think not. I was going to follow the crackd recipe.

You could make them well in advance then freeze them and heat from frozen for about 5 -10 minutes in the oven at dinner time.
When I've eaten Yorkshires from the day before they have been a bit stale.

You could make them well in advance then freeze them and heat from frozen for about 5 -10 minutes in the oven at dinner time.
When I've eaten Yorkshires from the day before they have been a bit stale.
That’s a good idea, thanks! Will probably need to do a few batches.

Agree with you re the blue cheese one but I always found the boxes to be good value. You were getting four blocks of cheese for about a fiver. I'd be lucky to get that if I purchased them all separately. My local supermarket, ASDA, is a bit crap even though it's a big superstore.

I do my own from a bbc food recipe and I don't think they would keep well. They always come out quite dense but I think I prefer them that way.

This sounds absolutely incredible! Tuna and salmon were the only fish I ate before and I assumed it’d be too tricky to mimic the taste and texture. I’ll have to give these a try if I can find them in my Sainsbury’s

Lidl has some very cute Christmas themed bao buns! I’m sure I bought the reindeer ones from M&S last year (and they were probably twice the price too) Hopefully my Lidl has them!