Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Some People!

Chatty Member
Any favourite nutritional yeasts that don't cost the earth/ from sources that are easily accessible?

I love the blue Engavita with B12 - I used to get a bargain pack of 3 tubs from amazon on subscribe & save but they stopped doing it.

Red Engavita can get into the bin ASAP, why is it so different and horrible???

Aldi's own is great and cheap but seldom there.

Didn't love Nooch, but it's probably the brand I see most in supermarkets.

My kid and I go through quite a bit and I've been buying it from a wholefood shop because its nice to support them, but it's not very local and obviously a bit spenny.
Am I missing it in supermarkets?

lozzapaloozza

VIP Member
Has anyone tried the Yo Sushi vegan teriyaki chicken? I can’t remember the name of it but it’s vegan chicken in a teriyaki sauce with sesame seeds on and it comes in a large plastic container. It’s honestly amazing and I can’t find it online anywhere 😭

sodit

VIP Member
Only tried it once but the Asda essentials one is as well! Not mad for the taste of it on toast etc but good for baking I reckon.

Some People!

Chatty Member
Just found these in my local Asian grocer. They are vegan so no shrimp or fish sauce. Have added a vegan fish sauce to the tofu and veg green curry I’m making and it’s delicious!
Great find! Thanks for sharing 🖤 Will look for that brand

shadowcat5

VIP Member
I’m not actually vegan (don’t kill me 😳) but my baby has a dairy and soya allergy so quite often we will have a lot of plant based products. Can anyone recommend a dairy and soya free yoghurt that’s ideally not too high in sugar for my baby? Also, got to say, the plant based babybels are lovely!
welcome ❤

Do you want a flavoured yoghurt or unflavoured? Unflavoured the own brand tesco/asda ones are great. Low in sugar and not ultra processed (you could add flavouring/sweetness to it if you wanted)
Flavoured - Cultured Coconut Yogurt coconut strawberry Gut health ones are about 4g sugar per pot
The non gut health normal strawberry ones are 3g per pot
The apricot ones of ^those are about 4g as well.
That brand is quite pricey though.

The next ones which are cheaper are the tesco own brand ones which are about 8g per pot but they are cheaper.
Also petit flous do raspberry ones at 8g per pot too.

Hope that helps!

Hanibo

VIP Member
Gosh he sounds like me as a kid 😂

I couldn’t eat sandwiches (still can’t eat them cold) so I’d have a bread roll and cheese to eat separately lol
This is what I’m doing … bread and butter and then something separate (and warm) in the thermos, like tofu or nuggets. It seems like he has to have at least one warm thing in his lunch or he won’t eat it 🙈

Thanks everyone for your recommendations - they were all much appreciated 💕

I think I’m just a bit more conscious of his fussy eating because he’s vegan (versus my non-vegan friends with fussy kids). He actually eats plenty and does have quite a good variety - but the things he likes don’t travel/keep well or else have nuts in them, so packed lunches are a challenge.

I think I’ll just pick 5 different lunches and repeat those every week! And hopefully in another 10 years he’ll be able to pack his own 🤣

No problem at all, hope it helps your little one! Have you tried tahini? Good source of calcium and healthy fats too. If they find it too strong/bitter, mixing it with a bit of soy yogurt and maple/date syrup/molasses makes for a really nice spread!
Oh I just saw this. I’ll definitely give it a try. I already know it’s too bitter for him, but he loves maple syrup so that could work. Thanks!

Hi, I have a vegetarian family member and they want to look into Iron supplements, are there any that are Vegetarian friendly/suitable that you know of please?

Or multi-vitamins that have Iron?

They hate taking tablets and prefer the chew type ones. Thanks for any help :)

cee-bee

VIP Member
Does anyone have any experience of tempeh?

I bought some in Tesco and I kid you not, it smelled like literal poop. And yep I checked the use by date and it was fine!

I tried some on holiday and it definitely didn’t taste like that?

Can anyone recommend brands/ tell me what I’m doing wrong?!

no-no

VIP Member
Has anyone else tried the Amazon plant based range via Fresh? I rated the sausages and just tried the kievs and they’re the most realistic out of the ones I’ve tried (including M&S). I’m cutting down on fake meats but they were on offer and okay for lazy dinners.

I had to dunk the fridge raiders in dip, they tasted so weird without. Didn’t like the Asda tuna, but would buy again to try in a jacket spud.

no-no

VIP Member
Has anyone else tried the Rubies steaks yet? I got them on offer in Tesco at the start of the month and they went off yesterday so I had to cook them. They would be amazing in a minted gravy as they’re the closest thing I’ve had to lamb since going plant based, they weren’t beefy at all to me.

no-no

VIP Member
What sort of vitamins/supplements do you recommend for someone on a vegan diet? I’m so fed up of constantly getting sick and feeling tired and I think it’s because I’m missing something in my diet, even though I do eat healthy and varied I think I need a little extra help 🥰
I’ve bought a few over the years and would get one in a form you’ll remember to take. I thought the better health sprays would be good as most taste nice but I’d always forget, had better luck with vegums/novomin gummies and now started BioCare multivitamins. The BioCare are just boring capsules but made in the U.K. and came recommended https://www.biocare.co.uk/about-us I like taking a magnesium supplement because it helps with tiredness and I take some biotin gummies for hair and nails, they actually work on my brittle nails.

no-no

VIP Member
I have so much munch in, my cupboards and fridge freezer are a vegan haven 🌱 ☁ (been stocking up but had no appetite/motivation to cook). But I tried the meatless farm beef steaks tonight:
1666641889880.jpeg

They were nice with Strong Roots garlic sweet potatoes, 🥦 and cauliflower. I picked this up recently and it’s once of the nicest bbq sauces I’ve had:

583548011_0_640x640.jpg

The Granovita pate tubes are great, does anyone else buy them? They last 4 weeks in the fridge after opening. I use them on toast.