Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It should be, it should always be them and their families first, I bet there’d be world peace.
I do think and hope we are almost there in this country, especially over any unnecessary wars, I can’t imagine many signing up, you only have to look at the protest for the Iraq war etc and even this how the public don’t want us involved. I don’t know what state our army is in, how many troops we have etc, it seems less of a career than it used to, people are more aware than ever that even if you sign up you won’t get looked after by the government.

Wouldn't it be something to see leaders standing on the frontline of the battles they plan for others to fight.

Reactions: 5
ironic that vlad is likely doing all of this for some sort of infamy / legacy, but just the other day forgot old hilter existed when talking about the 'greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the 20th century' and didn't mean WWII...

Reactions: 5
Airspace is shut to civilian traffic.
Zelensky said Russia carried out missile strikes on border guards and infrastructure while Russian media says they're targeting military infrastructure and air defence.
Zelensky declared martial law, telling citizens not to panic.

As I finished typing the above, a news alert came in - air raid sirens are going in Kyiv.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
This is very disappointing news. I feel sad for the ordinary people in the Ukraine who must be feeling frightened for their lives and children and homes.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I am appalled at the actions of Putin and I find it very odd that he is not despised generally - as he should be. But then again, maybe he will be now.

Whilst no fan of Trump, I used to constantly listen to colleagues talk about Trump almost obsessively - about how he will start World War Three etc. These same colleagues have been saying things like “Putin wouldn’t invade the Ukraine” and “it’s just a bit of sabre rattling” etc.
Just looked on the Sky News website, Putin’d invasion of the Ukraine is not even headline news.
I find it really bizarre.

Sky News website still headlining with the queen phoning in to her weekly chat with Boris - despite having covid.

Perhaps the staff who manage the Sky News website are still in bed?

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Reports Ukraine has brought down 5 Russian planes and a helicopter in Donbas from Kyiv Independent. The Telegraph reports from Ukraine emergency services that Russia has captured two villages in eastern Luhansk. DW reporting from Russian officials Russia claiming to have neutralised Ukraine air defences.
NATO members - mention particularly of Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania - are to meet under article 4 (which relates to potential threats to their own security).
I caught the end of Australian Prime Minister press briefing on the situation through twitter newsfeed. Calls what Putin called "special military operation" for what it is - "unprovoked, brutal invasion". Sanctions underway to Russian people and businesses, ready to help European allies - unwilling to be drawn on what exactly this might be. Thoughts of all Down Under with Ukraine and those impacted.
Boris: "President Putin has chosen a path of bloodshed and destruction by launching this unprovoked attack on Ukraine."

Perhaps the staff who manage the Sky News website are still in bed?
From the sudden en masse tweeting from reporters, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: 9
Awful news to wake up. I feel so sad for those families in Ukraine ☹

Does vlad even care about sanctions that boris will put in place?! Sounds like that is unlikely to stop him! (I know absolutely nothing about war)

Reactions: 21
I'm devastated that the world has awoken to Putin's barbarism, that Ukranians are packed in bomb shelters and fleeing major cities and under fire from illegal Smerch rockets (Alice, your divorce doesn't matter); an attack that may be the opening salvo of WW3. Could those who have sympathy with Ukraine change their avatars in support, even if just for today? I know it seems like such a little, futile suggestion, but they must be feeling so terrified and alone.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
Putin says if Ukraine soldiers lay down their arms they will go unharmed. Liar!!!!
Dulce et Decorum est :cry:

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
Thoughts are with the innocent people of Ukraine. 🇺🇦

duck Putin and duck all his enablers / apologists.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I'm devastated that the world has awoken to Putin's barbarism, that Ukranians are packed in bomb shelters and fleeing major cities and under fire from illegal Smerch rockets (Alice, your divorce doesn't matter); an attack that may be the opening salvo of WW3. Could those who have sympathy with Ukraine change their avatars in support, even if just for today? I know it seems like such a little, futile suggestion, but they must be feeling so terrified and alone.
I feel you. It’s a small gesture in the face of a raging tsunami. I have family in Poltava. It is a nightmare coming true. We cannot have a repeat of Crimea yet the alternative …

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Of course xxx

Reactions: 4
Whilst no fan of Trump, I used to constantly listen to colleagues talk about Trump almost obsessively - about how he will start World War Three etc.
interesting, i remember when trump was elected i was in uni, and i said to my politics teacher that this could lead to a civil war, but if hillary had been elected that would have led to a world war. and here we are post-trump facing a world war (or at least one of global scale)

Reactions: 13
Chilling from Putin

524A9DAA-00F7-4D57-9B28-CC096C9D7867.jpeg

Superb move by Layla Moran

And a clear action list from the Ukrainian foreign affairs minister - now is their hour of need

3551A967-6B17-4FA6-9772-8F553F81E224.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.