UK Politics #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t like Labour, I think they are terrible and it would go against everything for me to vote for them.
So according to people like you we should just ignore that, and do something we fundamentally disagree with just to get the Tories out?
Or we can use our democratic right to vote for who we want to? I bloody hate tactical voting - I’ve seen people bully others because they didn’t vote for Labour.
(No I won’t vote for the Tories, I think they are useless).
You can vote however you want but with the current system we have it is essentially between two parties.

If you fundamentally disagree with all the parties just spoil your ballot paper.

Reactions: 3
You can vote however you want but with the current system we have it is essentially between two parties.

If you fundamentally disagree with all the parties just spoil your ballot paper.
It’s so frustrating knowing we have more than 2 parties but very few people will consider the alternatives. The status quo is maintained by this, we will never have true change until people realise there are alternatives and start voting for them. It’s constantly turkeys voting for Christmas, it breaks my heart that so many people in this country suffer needlessly because no other party has a chance. That’s why I’m sticking with my vote, I want people to understand there are other options if only they would consider them.
---
Apparently Boris Johnson was turned away from a polling station as he forgot to bring ID.
This gives me great joy as well as 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 5
It’s so frustrating knowing we have more than 2 parties but very few people will consider the alternatives. The status quo is maintained by this, we will never have true change until people realise there are alternatives and start voting for them. It’s constantly turkeys voting for Christmas, it breaks my heart that so many people in this country suffer needlessly because no other party has a chance. That’s why I’m sticking with my vote, I want people to understand there are other options if only they would consider them.
---

This gives me great joy as well as 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
People don't consider them because the way our voting system is set up means if the alternative smaller party doesn't get in it is wasted. They don't get representation in parliament based on their share of the popular vote but on a winner takes all model. If I lived in a Tory / Lib Dem marginal but supported the Greens and really hated the Tories, I'd hold my nose and vote Lib Dem because they're more likely to win.

People can stick to their principles of voting for what they truly believe in, even if the candidate has no chance of winning. But it's not unfair to say it is a wasted vote, because it is. You either have to work within the current voting framework we have or completely overhaul it, but voting for smaller parties who aren't going to win is going to change absolutely nothing.

Reactions: 5
People don't consider them because the way our voting system is set up means if the alternative smaller party doesn't get in it is wasted. They don't get representation in parliament based on their share of the popular vote but on a winner takes all model. If I lived in a Tory / Lib Dem marginal but supported the Greens and really hated the Tories, I'd hold my nose and vote Lib Dem because they're more likely to win.

People can stick to their principles of voting for what they truly believe in, even if the candidate has no chance of winning. But it's not unfair to say it is a wasted vote, because it is. You either have to work within the current voting framework we have or completely overhaul it, but voting for smaller parties who aren't going to win is going to change absolutely nothing.
I will never say someone has wasted their vote, I have had it said to me and it infuriated me. I also get infuriated by the “why are you voting for [insert a candidate other than the two main parties] they’ll never get in?” people. So, if everyone votes solely on that basis nothing will ever change, I agree the first past the post system is screwing over the electorate. We need proportional representation for Britain to be a true democracy, we are playing democracy right now.

Interesting Lib Dems have gone down and greens have increased by so little. Rishi needs to seriously sort out the Tories as wherever Reform stand they'll take a good chunk of the Tories vote. In the next week I expect defections from the Tories to Reform in a last desperate attempt to cling to their seat at the election.

I'll be interested in the turnout as it's always low but I expect some big decreases. I'm hearing of more and more people being disillusioned plus issues with postal voting. Mine was sent to the wrong house by royal mail and considering there has been no post for a week I have little faith mine will have got back to be counted.

Reactions: 1
Interesting Lib Dems have gone down and greens have increased by so little. Rishi needs to seriously sort out the Tories as wherever Reform stand they'll take a good chunk of the Tories vote. In the next week I expect defections from the Tories to Reform in a last desperate attempt to cling to their seat at the election.

I'll be interested in the turnout as it's always low but I expect some big decreases. I'm hearing of more and more people being disillusioned plus issues with postal voting. Mine was sent to the wrong house by royal mail and considering there has been no post for a week I have little faith mine will have got back to be counted.
The Greens & LibDems got under 400 votes each :oops:
The Tories have Reform to contend with now & were almost knocked into 3rd place.
snapshot_www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk_1714717261296.png

Could Reform and Labour end up as the UK’s main parties going forward?

Could Reform and Labour end up as the UK’s main parties going forward?
Reform just appear to be the new UKIP, will they even win a seat in the General Election?
Looks like Reform will just dilute the Tory vote, maybe they'll cause an upset in 1 or 2 strong Tory constituencies.

Reactions: 2
Reform just appear to be the new UKIP, will they even win a seat in the General Election?
Looks like Reform will just dilute the Tory vote.
I’m not familiar with the English parties that’s why I asked, they seem to have sprung up from nowhere…Far left parties seems to be losing ground all over Europe, they could grab a few votes that way ?

I’m not familiar with the English parties that’s why I asked, they seem to have sprung up from nowhere…Far left parties seems to be losing ground all over Europe, they could grab a few votes that way ?

They won't have the funds or the people needed to run a national campaign so likely to focus on a few seats they think they could cause an upset and split the vote in other places.

They won't have the funds or the people needed to run a national campaign so likely to focus on a few seats they think they could cause an upset and split the vote in other places.
They’ve merged with hardline unionists in NI they definitely could gather funds that way. Don’t know how the voting process will work as we don’t get to vote for Westminster candidates.