UK passports

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would recommend going to Timoson they run your photos through the Gov website when you are there and check they are approved.

would also submit the application online. I got 2back in a fortnight earlier this year.

Sent mine on the 21st for a renewal- got it back in 9(!!) days on the 30th. Did it all online and got a photo in a booth and used the digital code and sent my old passport back by signed next day delivery. Honestly couldn’t believe how quick it was! I’d been putting it off due to the press horror stories, but now I’m stalking cheap flights 🤣

Reactions: 1
Horrendous. For me I phoned the general passport line and pressed 8 and it connects you to an actual person instead of the robot. It makes absolutely no sense what system they’re using! The fast track appointments are so scarce it’s even risky. If you’re not already there’s a few Facebook groups with lots of tips on there for people waiting. Hope you get it in time 😞
I had issue's with receiving my new replacement passport, it took 3 weeks before I got a notification they had received my documents then another week before another one saying it had been printed, a couple of days later I got another notification to say I would get an email from the delivery courier, this didn't happen! I tried on a good few occasions over an eight week period to contact the general passport line on the correct option button to no avail each time it was an automated response telling me to try later, So as a last resort I called again using option 8 and was pleasantly surprised to get to speak to a nice lady who helped so the courier company despite having failed to send me any tracking info had marked it as delivery attempted and were awaiting on myself contacting them for re delivery now how could I contact them when they hadn't even sent me a tracking info or number! we live on a road with only 2 houses on checking our security camera's that takes in all entrances and exits there had been no delivery attempted for the time or day given! I eventually got my passport after they lady at the passport office gave me the tracking number and advising me to ask for it to be redelivered, I finally received it the next day then my documents were sent back to me a couple of weeks later
so anyone with issues I urge to use option 8 when phoning the general passport line

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Does anyone know can you do the renewal online if you need to change your surname?

Reactions: 2
Does anyone know can you do the renewal online if you need to change your surname?
yes you can, you'll be prompted to send your documents (Marriage certificate) along with your old passport, when they have received them they will start the process your application

I had issue's with receiving my new replacement passport, it took 3 weeks before I got a notification they had received my documents then another week before another one saying it had been printed, a couple of days later I got another notification to say I would get an email from the delivery courier, this didn't happen! I tried on a good few occasions over an eight week period to contact the general passport line on the correct option button to no avail each time it was an automated response telling me to try later, So as a last resort I called again using option 8 and was pleasantly surprised to get to speak to a nice lady who helped so the courier company despite having failed to send me any tracking info had marked it as delivery attempted and were awaiting on myself contacting them for re delivery now how could I contact them when they hadn't even sent me a tracking info or number! we live on a road with only 2 houses on checking our security camera's that takes in all entrances and exits there had been no delivery attempted for the time or day given! I eventually got my passport after they lady at the passport office gave me the tracking number and advising me to ask for it to be redelivered, I finally received it the next day then my documents were sent back to me a couple of weeks later
so anyone with issues I urge to use option 8 when phoning the general passport line
😮 this was only a straightforward replacement?

I don't think I'd need any docs for my next new passport? This is 7 years away and I'm worried about it already 🤣

I think if you have your photos endorsed for your current passport you don't need that done for the next one, just new photos?

What a minefield

I called again earlier and chose option 8 as recommended here. I did actually get through to someone so thank you for that!

HOWEVER, they’ve told me I need to wait until two weeks before we go and then call again and ask for the passport to be fast tracked. I asked if she could assure me that the passport would be received in time. “Yes”. I asked for her name, she couldn’t give me her surname. I asked for her managers name, again no surname. And she couldn’t put her assurances in writing to me.

I just can’t. Their system is absolute shite!

• Sad
Reactions: 5
😮 this was only a straightforward replacement?

I don't think I'd need any docs for my next new passport? This is 7 years away and I'm worried about it already 🤣

I think if you have your photos endorsed for your current passport you don't need that done for the next one, just new photos?

What a minefield
I had remarried so was wanting to change my surname hence I had to send our marriage certificate along with my old passport which I had let lapse owing to the pandemic it was a stressful time waiting in getting every thing back glad to say got there in the end!

I called again earlier and chose option 8 as recommended here. I did actually get through to someone so thank you for that!

HOWEVER, they’ve told me I need to wait until two weeks before we go and then call again and ask for the passport to be fast tracked. I asked if she could assure me that the passport would be received in time. “Yes”. I asked for her name, she couldn’t give me her surname. I asked for her managers name, again no surname. And she couldn’t put her assurances in writing to me.

it is shocking! I take it it your application hasn't reached the printing or courier stage yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4

See this makes me feel awful that my passport was quick, I feel horrible for all the people who have been waiting weeks/months when now as it seems that applications are flying through. It’s like the new applications are going straight to the top of the pile and the older ones are being pushed further down.

I really hope it’s gets sorted soon and it comes quickly.

it is shocking! I take it it your application hasn't reached the printing or courier stage yet?
Nope but the lady I spoke to today confirmed that it was approved on 31st May. So 5 weeks and counting for it to be printed. I checked the other two passports I applied for at the same time and they were printed the day after being approved. Somebody somewhere has overlooked it, surely? What annoys me most is that one person I speak to could choose to send it through to printing… but nobody has yet.

@Imaweeble don’t feel awful at all! They should be quick like yours was. If anything, knowing that others are going through quickly helps me argue it a little more rather than just feeling helpless because “everybody is in the same situation” (although I do still feel helpless 😅)

Nope but the lady I spoke to today confirmed that it was approved on 31st May. So 5 weeks and counting for it to be printed. I checked the other two passports I applied for at the same time and they were printed the day after being approved. Somebody somewhere has overlooked it, surely? What annoys me most is that one person I speak to could choose to send it through to printing… but nobody has yet.

@Imaweeble don’t feel awful at all! They should be quick like yours was. If anything, knowing that others are going through quickly helps me argue it a little more rather than just feeling helpless because “everybody is in the same situation” (although I do still feel helpless 😅)
fingers x you get it sorted soon

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Applied for three in April

Partners child to adult renewal took one week

Two child’s first passports one took 17 days the other 21. All at different passport offices, one at Bootle, Corby and London

People are turning up at their nearest passport office to get their passport that day and majority are leaving with one in their hand. What the staff are doing is putting them in date order for when they fly. Not sure about the ones that aren’t flying, I think it’s mainly ones turning up that have already booked a holiday

• Wow
Definitely use it, especially as you have been waiting so long. Also I don’t know if this will help but years ago the passport office messed up my kids passports and I had a battle with them so I called my mp’s office and they got it sorted the same day so that’s always worth a try. Keeping everything crossed for you 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Heart
Definitely use it, especially as you have been waiting so long. Also I don’t know if this will help but years ago the passport office messed up my kids passports and I had a battle with them so I called my mp’s office and they got it sorted the same day so that’s always worth a try. Keeping everything crossed for you 🤞🏻🤞🏻
We were actually saying that this needs to be our next step so will definitely do that if we feel it comes to that. Thank you x

Can anyone advise please. I'm going on my hen do next week. But we are going on honeymoon in November (thailand)
My passport runs out in May and I was just within the date so decided not to risk it and applied for a renewal. I accidentally clicked damaged passport. Now I'm worrying my current passport might have been cancelled even though its in date and everything and I won't be able to use it next week. Passport control weren't much help. Dont suppose anyone's had a similar issue

I don't think they do anything until they receive your old passport and I'm assuming you still have that

Just wanted to give an update to my situation that I’d mentioned a couple of weeks back.

I called yesterday as the passport office told me to (two weeks before departure date). They told me they’d pass it over to the fast track dept who would call me within 48 hours. They called this morning, asked for proof of the holiday date. I asked if it’d then be fast tracked and reach me within 7 days to be told there were no guarantees 😳

Decided it was time to get our local MP involved. Had a response from his office within 15 minutes. They contacted the Home Office on my behalf, kept me updated and told me a couple of hours later that HMPO would be in touch.

About two hours after that, I received an email to say the application had been approved. 40 minutes later it’d been printed!

It should never have reached that stage. It’s been 20 weeks so far and obviously it is still to reach us but hopefully it WILL be here within a few days now!

To anyone else, keep pushing because I had no answers as to why this one took so long. There seemed to be no reason for it whatsoever apart from it being overlooked.

Reactions: 6
Just wanted to give an update to my situation that I’d mentioned a couple of weeks back.

I called yesterday as the passport office told me to (two weeks before departure date). They told me they’d pass it over to the fast track dept who would call me within 48 hours. They called this morning, asked for proof of the holiday date. I asked if it’d then be fast tracked and reach me within 7 days to be told there were no guarantees 😳

Decided it was time to get our local MP involved. Had a response from his office within 15 minutes. They contacted the Home Office on my behalf, kept me updated and told me a couple of hours later that HMPO would be in touch.

About two hours after that, I received an email to say the application had been approved. 40 minutes later it’d been printed!

It should never have reached that stage. It’s been 20 weeks so far and obviously it is still to reach us but hopefully it WILL be here within a few days now!

To anyone else, keep pushing because I had no answers as to why this one took so long. There seemed to be no reason for it whatsoever apart from it being overlooked.
20 weeks? Oh my gosh 😳😳😳

Glad you got sorted - but like you say it shouldn't have got to that stage. 20 weeks is insane.

I've had my children's first passports back in about 5 weeks in total. Only small hiccup was that after originally accepting the photo of my daughter they then decided that the lighting was too irregular.