UK Literary Luvvies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Confessional beggar" ouch! That book sounds so cringe. ED does get on my nerves a lot but I still think there's so much snobbery and judgement around therapy especially in the British press. Then again, ED does beat people over the head with it. There needs to be a better balance.

Archived link to bypass the paywall: https://archive.ph/6HgDg#selection-2029.199-2029.271

Reactions: 9
'In both her chart-topping podcast series How to Fail, and now in Friendaholic, Day is reminiscent of the high-achieving school girl who, upon discovering that her accolades are an impediment to popularity, determines to shove her various trophies to the back of the wardrobe.'

'Perhaps the most galling thing about Friendaholic, however, is the banality of its advice. I can’t think of any reader who would be glad to wade through 400-pages of Day’s anecdotes to be told that it is “quality not quantity” that counts.'

Sounds like they've got the measure of her to me...:)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I think Katherine's whole spiel on renting when she owns property is totally disingenuous really - quite apart from her whole floral kitschy style, which I'm not personally a fan of.

Reactions: 4
I use 12ft ladder to read articles behind a paywall 😃 if anyone needed to know that!

Reactions: 6
"Confessional beggar" ouch! That book sounds so cringe. ED does get on my nerves a lot but I still think there's so much snobbery and judgement around therapy especially in the British press. Then again, ED does beat people over the head with it. There needs to be a better balance.

Archived link to bypass the paywall: https://archive.ph/6HgDg#selection-2029.199-2029.271
That’s a good point. I think there should be more of a distinction between “therapy speak”, and actual meaningful therapy. Therapy speak seems to over-use certain buzzwords, leaving the real meaning watered down, and missing a chance to have meaningful discussions.

Mind you it could be argued that it actually helps open a door to more in depth conversations. (by conversations I mean in real life, and in the media).

Reactions: 5
Panda would only choose a pretentious name for her son but dear god, Blaise Atlas? Blaise?!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Pandora had another baby.. did anyone even know she was pregnant?
Yeah she's posted a few bump photos on her stories. I do like that she's quite lowkey on IG about being pregnant. I'm sure she'll put that down to her aversion to Instagram :rolleyes:

is Blaise pronounced Blaze? 😬

Reactions: 5
This pic I just don't understand. Aren't you mortified when you look absolutely nothing like this at all?!!

Screenshot_20230328-192556.png

• Haha
Reactions: 9
This pic I just don't understand. Aren't you mortified when you look absolutely nothing like this at all?!!

View attachment 2062379
See, I just don't think this is necessary, and this is why people think Tattle is a witch-fest. Making fun of someone for their looks is just always horrible. Dolly doesn't have control over what image they use to promote the event, or her book, and come on, it is clearly her. Wouldn't you want a reasonable image of yourself on promotional materials?!

I watched the live stream of this event last night, at a time when I'm feeling particularly down, and it gave me a real boost. There's a reason why Dolly is so successful- because she's got that undefinable thing, that X factor of relatability, even though she's yes, posh and privileged. She is clearly a lovely, empathetic, sensitive, smart person. I really enjoyed the conversation between her and Katherine, and the audience seemed to be having a great time too. There are so many issues we're all going through, I know this thread is a laugh and yes the literary London circle can be extremely clique-y, but sometimes the stuff they put out there really helps people and gives them a lift when they're feeling low.

At least she's doing it. At least she's putting herself out there and if she's monetising her experiences and views on the world, I say, fair play to her. Yes she's coming from a position of privilege, we all know that, but she's still talented, and has a real ability to connect with women. That is rare.

I wonder how you'd feel if people were shitting all over your looks when you've had several number one bestsellers and a column, tv show, etc. But I'm guessing you haven't had any of those things.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
See, I just don't think this is necessary, and this is why people think Tattle is a witch-fest. Making fun of someone for their looks is just always horrible. Dolly doesn't have control over what image they use to promote the event, or her book, and come on, it is clearly her. Wouldn't you want a reasonable image of yourself on promotional materials?!

I watched the live stream of this event last night, at a time when I'm feeling particularly down, and it gave me a real boost. There's a reason why Dolly is so successful- because she's got that undefinable thing, that X factor of relatability, even though she's yes, posh and privileged. She is clearly a lovely, empathetic, sensitive, smart person. I really enjoyed the conversation between her and Katherine, and the audience seemed to be having a great time too. There are so many issues we're all going through, I know this thread is a laugh and yes the literary London circle can be extremely clique-y, but sometimes the stuff they put out there really helps people and gives them a lift when they're feeling low.

At least she's doing it. At least she's putting herself out there and if she's monetising her experiences and views on the world, I say, fair play to her. Yes she's coming from a position of privilege, we all know that, but she's still talented, and has a real ability to connect with women. That is rare.

I wonder how you'd feel if people were shitting all over your looks when you've had several number one bestsellers and a column, tv show, etc. But I'm guessing you haven't had any of those things.
absolutely spot on ! And I think she’s looks lovely 😊 the press photo is by a popular photographer who edits her photos in a particular way which might be why she looks different x

• Sick
Reactions: 8
Actually I disagree. Truth is that promo photo is dreadful, very old, badly edited and looks nothing like Dolly in real life. Jenmarks wasn’t making fun of anyone from what I can see.

Sorry you’re going through a low point, but cool it with your moral superiority 🤓

Reactions: 15
Of course Dolly has full control of the image promoting the event?! What world are you living in love?! This picture of Dolly was taken quite a long time ago, right?!

You have made the judgment that I'm making fun of Dolly here. We've all seen Dolly's own images on Instagram. She doesn't look even remotely like this currently. Clearly.

"At least she's doing it" you say. Oh poor Dolly, at least she's able to fill an entire theatre in the West End. Sorry, what?!

What on earth do you even mean here Mavis darling? Are you actually Dolly's mum?! I can assure you, there are thousands upon thousands of writers who are a million times more talented than Hannah Alderton but who haven't had the connections to enable them to even consider filling a bleeping auditorium with a hugely popular comedian like Katherine Ryan. Let alone having a gig organised by Fane - a company run by yet more public school boys.

If you really want to come for someone on here Mavis/Hannah's Mum, at least do some simple bloody research eh?!

• Haha
She owns a property too! Just doesn’t want to sell it at market price.
She does have a thread too. Generally, I enjoy her writing but she’s definitely increased the digs about tattle/trolling (🙄) since her thread was started.
Her newsletter this week was a total Tattle take down 🙄

Reactions: 4
How did she find this thread 😂 obvs Googles herself
---
I was just thinking about whether any of the LLs are on Tattle :) Do we think they’re competitive with each other or all friends?
Competitive. Cf Clemmie Hooper, late of this parish.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Yeah people’s looks are a fine line but Dolly posts thirst traps and edited eye bleeping selfies so she’s fair game. I don’t think it’s appropriate to comment when celebs are just living their life and don’t do that- Dolly’s PERSONA is her edited looks. Her whole image is this sixties doe eyed manic pixie dream girl and Tattle’s job is to call out the inaccuracies we’re presented. We take advice in the advice column from the worldly muse, not the bellowing Sloane in a bubble which is what she really is :)

• Heart
  • Haha
I started thread 2 as we're over 50 pages.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.