Trigger Point

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love how there’s always a nod to Vicky’s home of Nottingham in things she’s in. This time with “mush” and “me duck”.

In LoD, her son supported Notts Forest and had a Forest scarf and mug.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Vicky McClure can't act. She just reads the lines out flatly, and seems to have one facial expression to convey any emotion, eyes slightly bulged out. 😐

Reactions: 6
Yeah I can't be bothered to watch anymore.
It just seem to be relying on the suspence of a possible bomb going off to make a show rather than creating a storyline and building up the characters.

Reactions: 6
Vicky McClure can't act. She just reads the lines out flatly, and seems to have one facial expression to convey any emotion, eyes slightly bulged out. 😐
Rubbish. The script is not challenging for her.

Vicky’s next show (which she has co-produced) is 100% different to Line of Duty and Trigger Point and she’s reuniting with her This is England co-star Johnny Harris who is a fantastic actor. Yes please to more Shane Meadow’s-style method acting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
She can act if she's given a decent script. This is a tedious load of cliched situations and dialogue; a complete waste of her talent.

Reactions: 10
It’s Jed Mercurio’s production company and from LOD Twitter after season 6 it’s well-known he doesn’t care much about criticism or what he calls social media bias.

The viewing figures for E1 are going to be huge after 7 days if John William’s (from ITV) tweets are anything to go by. It could be ~9 million which is a win-win for ITV.

Worth mentioning if Trigger Point picks up the pace from next week, there is every chance the 7 day and 28 day viewing figures will be high as some viewers wait to be able to watch more episodes. In the end, that’s all that matters really.

In conclusion, there is every chance it could see season 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I don’t think this script is particularly challenging for her. Anyone who has seen her as Lol in This Is England (specifically her storyline in the later tv series) would testify she really is a phenomenal actress!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I don’t think this script is particularly challenging for her. Anyone who has seen her as Lol in This Is England (specifically her storyline in the later tv series) would testify she really is a phenomenal actress!
The TV critics all champion Vicky McClure as an actress no matter their opinion of Trigger Point. I like that Vicky is a genuinely lovely person too. Shane Meadows is a genius I’m watching This is England ‘86 and I forgot what a great ensemble cast it has; all the characters feel so real. Vicky is incredible and I forgot how terrifying Monster Mick is he scares me 😱

Back on topic… Trigger Point is… ok… it’s another show that has fallen victim to the social media experts.

I thought episode 2 was better than the first, I agree that the script isn't exactly challenging but it is ok for a Sunday evening. Vicky can act, she was really good in "I am Nicola" which was on channel 4 a while back

I don't think there is any issue with VM's acting ability. I also disagree with Mercurio's dismissal of the criticism of social media bias: I haven't seen any bias on social media it just isn't holding my attention, somehow in a show with constant bombs it feels like there are no stakes. Possibly because the characters aren't very fleshed out.

I wonder what opinions would be if this was bingeable? I’ve seen a lot of 6-8 episode shows where people ask “I’m bored. Should I continue?” and people respond “Yes! Keep going it gets better”.

For me the first episode was ruined by AD breaks as the tension was cut by Alison Hammond milking cows. I started the second episode at 21:20 which was better but 100% carried by Vicky. There’s a shortage of EOD at the moment so all these twitter experts should change career. She would get stuck wearing the moonsuit all the time (e.g. under the table) and it’s laughable how many people think wearing a helmet would stop you’re head being blown off your shoulders.

I think Vicky’s great but like others have said when it’s scripted she can only work with the material she’s got and sometimes that doesn’t translate well to an audience. Sorry Jed Mercurio we love Kate Fleming but Vicky said nothing will ever beat working with Shane Meadows.

Last edited:
I’ve finally got round to watching this. I found the first episode quite tense and was expecting an explosion at every turn but still jumped out my skin at the end. Found the first part of ep 2 a bit 🤷🏼‍♀️ but it got more interesting.
Did anyone else think It was odd that they twice focused on the tattoo on Joel’s forearm….or was it just to make a point of identifying him later? At first I thought it was a twist on the 1912 (that was engraved in the door frame) until I realised it’s a cartoon animal holding a ball 🤣🤣

Every time Vicky M is in anything associated with Mercurio she plays the same character and it's getting old. Can't even give her a new term of endearment, it has to be mate again. It's similar with Martin C, yet they all trumpet Mercurio as the worlds greatest genius and their roles as the best ever. She can do better, she's a brill actress but does make her come across as a one trick pony if you've only seen her in these.

Reactions: 5
I watched 2 episodes and found it quite boring on the whole. There’s something strange with the audio dubbing, there’s almost no atmospheric sounds. It’s weird

Every time Vicky M is in anything associated with Mercurio she plays the same character and it's getting old. Can't even give her a new term of endearment, it has to be mate again. It's similar with Martin C, yet they all trumpet Mercurio as the worlds greatest genius and their roles as the best ever. She can do better, she's a brill actress but does make her come across as a one trick pony if you've only seen her in these.
No. She may be most known for Kate Fleming but Vicky McClure said in lots of interviews Shane Meadows is her favourite writer and director and Lol Jenkins is her favourite role.

Vicky wanted to do Trigger Point for whatever reason and she said she’s proud of it. There are people who are watching it for her despite it being heavily flawed. I like her I think she’s really talented and she is absolutely carrying the show. However yes I think she would do well to step away from formulaic police dramas and I think she will. She’s doing well with her production company from what I’ve seen.

Admittedly I’m not a great Martin Compston fan so I didn’t have a meltdown at Vigil but he’s right in saying Jed Mercurio is a genius as he’s created two of the biggest UK dramas + Bodies is also acclaimed.

I’ve finally got round to watching this. I found the first episode quite tense and was expecting an explosion at every turn but still jumped out my skin at the end. Found the first part of ep 2 a bit 🤷🏼‍♀️ but it got more interesting.
Did anyone else think It was odd that they twice focused on the tattoo on Joel’s forearm….or was it just to make a point of identifying him later? At first I thought it was a twist on the 1912 (that was engraved in the door frame) until I realised it’s a cartoon animal holding a ball 🤣🤣
Lana has the same Felix tattoo but yes I think it’s to show it was him.

Last edited: