Train strikes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Will anyone be affected? I'll be travelling to the airport over June and knowing my luck it will be one of those they they strike.

It won't do them any favours with the public, and from what I've seen they've chosen the days that will cause maximum disruption

Reactions: 4
Livid!

Just got back to the office full time and now the RMT are going on strike.

Haven't people and businesses suffered enough?

Everyone will be affected, the whole network is closing down.

In London, on the Tuesday, tubes are also going on strike, London will be on lock down again

Reactions: 1
Politically I'm generally in favour of unions, the right to withdraw labour, etc., but... ugh. It's another little bit of misery for passengers, at a time when most of us could really do without any more of that. I know being disruptive is the point and there's no real good time to strike, but there's definitely a tit time. Thanks guys.

Reactions: 4
Hopefully a deal can be reached before those dates.

Maybe it's harsh, but when people strike over pay, I sometimes wonder why they don't find an alternative job with the level of salary they want. I know it's easier said than done, but I used to work for a company that raised its salary after losing lots of employees who gave low pay as the primary reason for resigning.

Reactions: 9
Due to be in London 24th/25th 🙄

Just hoping it doesn’t go ahead because it won’t make for a fun trip.

I have LNER train tickets. Does anyone know what happens if there is a strike and it affects my return journey?

I know it’s hard if it affects your life, but remember a lot of those striking barely earn anything, work crazy anti-social hours throughout the whole pandemic, haven’t seen a scrap of a pay raise in years, with threats of another two years of freezes. The starting salary for a maintenance worker is £16,500 - not dissimilar to working in McDonald’s but with much worse conditions.

It’s frustrating but people need to fight for their right to afford food and a roof over the heads

Because they actually get paid very well!
This isn’t true. People online keep going on about driver salaries but drivers aren’t typically part of RMT and so aren’t striking. Drivers are usually a part of the ASLEF union

Hopefully a deal can be reached before those dates.

Maybe it's harsh, but when people strike over pay, I sometimes wonder why they don't find an alternative job with the level of salary they want. I know it's easier said than done, but I used to work for a company that raised its salary after losing lots of employees who gave low pay as the primary reason for resigning.
A lot of people have left, but railway has niche jobs. I plan trains for example - it’s not a transferable skill. And if all of these people leave, the railway will be in a much worse state

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
A lot of people have left, but railway has niche jobs. I plan trains for example - it’s not a transferable skill.
Eh? I can't think of a single job that doesn't have transferable skills. Obvs I don't know exactly what planning trains involves but it may include planning and scheduling skills, contingency planning, dealing with emergencies, staff shortages, keeping calm and able to focus when you have conflicting priorities ...

Reactions: 7
Due to be in London 24th/25th 🙄

Just hoping it doesn’t go ahead because it won’t make for a fun trip.

I have LNER train tickets. Does anyone know what happens if there is a strike and it affects my return journey?
You can claim compensation for affected journeys.

Eh? I can't think of a single job that doesn't have transferable skills. Obvs I don't know exactly what planning trains involves but it may include planning and scheduling skills, contingency planning, dealing with emergencies, staff shortages, keeping calm and able to focus when you have conflicting priorities ...
And yet every time I apply for other jobs I never hear back. It’s a difficult one.

Unfortunately strikes happen when they will cause the most disruption..that’s the point.

Reactions: 5
I know quite a few now who are cancelling their journeys because of this. Trains are a hassle anyway without mass strikes. It's a really broken system

Services will be very restricted.
The main issues will be signalling staff, as there is little contingency and its not something you can quickly train someone to do.
Liklehood is trains will only run 0700-1900, and you'll only get services in main line routes (branch lines won't run). Priority will be given to freight routes.

There is still time for talks, but honestly it's going to be bloody nightmare so if really avoid travelling on any strike days (the whole week will be slightly altered too, with a number of TOCs running Sunday service levels)

1654828896302.png

I'm not a driver nor am I in the RMT but the press always blame drivers when probably 95% of drivers aren't RMT members 🤣

They've chosen the most disruptive week to make a point, but yes it sucks for the public. Glastonbury will be chaos to get to!

Pretty disgusting. They had hundreds of billions in cash to keep their industry afloat and want a huge increase in pay far higher than just about anyone is getting even tho rail numbers are down 25%. There's no competition so they get away bleeping over the people that can least afford it. Hospitality needs all the help it can not another nail in the coffin. Everyone deserves a good wage, but railway union bosses grinning with glee over causing chaos is disgusting. But they love it 🤬

• Angry
To give an insight my hubby has worked for Network Raik for many years in maintenance... they work long 12hr night shifts for piss poor pay with bare minimum gangs of workers etc. Network rail have said they plan to cut 2500 maintenance roles 🤯. There's alot more to this than "drivers". Workers are striking on safety grounds for passengers and staff alike.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
To give an insight my hubby has worked for Network Raik for many years in maintenance... they work long 12hr night shifts for piss poor pay with bare minimum gangs of workers etc. Network rail have said they plan to cut 2500 maintenance roles 🤯. There's alot more to this than "drivers". Workers are striking on safety grounds for passengers and staff alike.
Some of the comments calling staff “disgusting” are out of line. Last month the railway was back to 92% of pre pandemic passenger numbers and they can afford huge shareholder payouts apparently, it’s not “disgusting” for staff to want to receive a pay rise so they can afford food and rent. It’s not that they want a “huge payrise higher than anyone” as people are suggesting, they want something, and they haven’t had anything in years.
Honestly some people have no compassion, and read daily mail propaganda about drivers (who are ASLEF not RMT) and buy right into it without doing a single bit of research. Obviously railway workers are the selfish ones, not the evil 1% who hoard all the wealth in this country 🙄

Reactions: 18
My youngest son won't be able to get to college in the next city. He's autistic and I haven't had a chance to show him how to get there on the bus and I'm not paying for the petrol because my car only runs on E5 and it's nearly £2 a litre here.

He'll only be missing two days and he's up to date with coursework and has passed his exams (btec).

I can't get to work two days next week, so back to WFH.

On Saturday we are due to go on holiday, we have not been away since 2019 and now have to travel to the airport Friday evening and pay extra for a Travelodge