Train strikes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm travelling literally in between the strike days, luckily there's not a massive time frame of where I need to go so will be interesting to see what it's like. Feel bad for those going to Glasto though, major disruption.

Reactions: 1
They are saying that Wednesday, Friday and Sunday will be a mess and not to expect normal service until Monday

They are saying that Wednesday, Friday and Sunday will be a mess and not to expect normal service until Monday
According to trainline journeys on the 24th may also be affected - just realised that's a Friday lol. I was looking to move back home during the next week but had to move it back to Monday because of the strikes. Luckily, I planned for possible changes in plans so I could change my collection date for my stuff

All days will be a mess as trains won’t end in the right place for the non strike days.

On my train line we have one service an hour today (compared to 4ish) but the first one didn't leave until after 8am. No service on any other day. I don't think many trains will be running anywhere on the non-strike days by the sound of it. Pretty poor that they can't even run a limited service on the non-strike days. I don't think the trains being in the wrong place is an excuse really as if there are no trains running on those days, then surely they should be in the right place? I'm very grateful that I can work from home, but feel very sorry for key workers like NHS staff who rely on the trains to get to work. What are they supposed to do?

I'm travelling for work today. Numerous trains cancelled this morning due to a lack of drivers so I had to get my tickets changed. I'm having to stay an extra night so I can try and get home on Wednesday buy I'm dreading it. The conductor told me transpennie are cancelling all trains until Sunday although nothing on their website. Luckily I'm going on a different route home so there's some hope.

They are saying at the station now, service disrupted until Sunday!
A lot of grades balloted (maintenence, pway, signallers etc) work 24/7 with night shifts (normally a 6am or 7am finish)

This means the railway can't start up on time as normal on the Weds, Fri or Sun. It will be a later start.

A lot of grades balloted (maintenence, pway, signallers etc) work 24/7 with night shifts (normally a 6am or 7am finish)

This means the railway can't start up on time as normal on the Weds, Fri or Sun. It will be a later start.
Yep my husband is p-way. He's handed his notice in... end of an era buts absolutely done with it.

• Heart
I seen breaking news before saying they’d get a pay increase now last ditch talks have failed?

Yep my husband is p-way. He's handed his notice in... end of an era buts absolutely done with it.
I've only done 15 years in the railway and my other half 25 but the job isn't what it was.

Its not about money for either of us (he's had a pay rise, I haven't for four years but we don't have the massive outgoings luckily,) the whole environment has changed and both of us (like most of our TOC) absolutely hate our jobs.
Its made very clear by DFT and our TOC that we are easily replaceable and they don't really care about our welfare or safety. Very much if you don't like it, duck off.

I'm not a fan of the RMT, they want to be seen as super powerful so call strikes to the detriment of their members (action short of strike would have been far more effective imo) but understand why there was such a big mandate for action.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I've only done 15 years in the railway and my other half 25 but the job isn't what it was.

Its not about money for either of us (he's had a pay rise, I haven't for four years but we don't have the massive outgoings luckily,) the whole environment has changed and both of us (like most of our TOC) absolutely hate our jobs.
Its made very clear by DFT and our TOC that we are easily replaceable and they don't really care about our welfare or safety. Very much if you don't like it, duck off.

I'm not a fan of the RMT, they want to be seen as super powerful so call strikes to the detriment of their members (action short of strike would have been far more effective imo) but understand why there was such a big mandate for action.
Yep exactly that, my husband said the environment is toxic now. None of the ground staff are listened to, the working conditions are unsafe. After many years on nights and missing out on alot of family time hes now looking forward to being awake in normal hours, spending time with our kids and working for an employer who appreciates their workers.

Reactions: 3
My grandson works at an airport as an aircraft groomer. He was made redundant in the first lockdown along with all the groomers at Gatwick,Heathrow and Manchester. He has learnings difficulties and that was his first ever job and they laid on transport. He is now back working in another company who pay just over £10ph. This company does not supply any transport so he makes a nearly 2hr train trip there and 2hrs back working for 12hrs from 6pm to 6am. He’s willing to do this and pay the extortionate train fare. Ok, he hasn’t got a mortgage or major bills but he has a great work ethic. My point is, is that there are lots of people working in jobs that are low paid and they can’t strike. The travel industry is massively understaffed and people are slating the airport workers. My grandson won’t be able to get to work now so obviously he will have his wages cut for that shift but will still have to find the £300 for his monthly train ticket. Everyone deserves a liveable wage but surely there’s another way that doesn’t affect the ordinary working person who also need to pay their bills.

• Heart
My grandson works at an airport as an aircraft groomer. He was made redundant in the first lockdown along with all the groomers at Gatwick,Heathrow and Manchester. He has learnings difficulties and that was his first ever job and they laid on transport. He is now back working in another company who pay just over £10ph. This company does not supply any transport so he makes a nearly 2hr train trip there and 2hrs back working for 12hrs from 6pm to 6am. He’s willing to do this and pay the extortionate train fare. Ok, he hasn’t got a mortgage or major bills but he has a great work ethic. My point is, is that there are lots of people working in jobs that are low paid and they can’t strike. The travel industry is massively understaffed and people are slating the airport workers. My grandson won’t be able to get to work now so obviously he will have his wages cut for that shift but will still have to find the £300 for his monthly train ticket. Everyone deserves a liveable wage but surely there’s another way that doesn’t affect the ordinary working person who also need to pay their bills.
I don’t think rail staff really want to strike, at least not any of the ones I’ve spoken to. But the unions have been negotiating for over a year at this point, and the companies don’t care. Staff are getting desperate and are struggling with the cost of living and poor work conditions
Avantis parent company promised a pay out of £500 million to shareholders last year but apparently can’t even give staff a 4-5% pay increase 🙄
Network rail made 1.6billion last year but only offered a 0.5% one off bonus.
If your grandson has a monthly season ticket he can claim back a percentage of the ticket for the days his services didn’t run. He can find details of this on the website of whichever TOC he travels with. I know it doesn’t make up the lost wages, but he should still get his travel money back for strike days

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I don’t think rail staff really want to strike, at least not any of the ones I’ve spoken to. But the unions have been negotiating for over a year at this point, and the companies don’t care. Staff are getting desperate and are struggling with the cost of living and poor work conditions
Avantis parent company promised a pay out of £500 million to shareholders last year but apparently can’t even give staff a 4-5% pay increase 🙄
There’s a lot of desperate staff at the airports putting up with very abusive travellers working for a lot less pay than SOME of the rail staff. The government do not care about any of this . They actually said on air the people shouldn’t be asking for big pay rises. I do sympathise with the rail workers but I sympathise more for workers like my grandson who can’t get to work and will lose a big chunk of their monthly wage because of it.

Reactions: 2
There’s a lot of desperate staff at the airports putting up with very abusive travellers working for a lot less pay than SOME of the rail staff. The government do not care about any of this . They actually said on air the people shouldn’t be asking for big pay rises. I do sympathise with the rail workers but I sympathise more for workers like my grandson who can’t get to work and will lose a big chunk of their monthly wage because of it.
Unfortunately it’s the last course of action, they’ve tried everything else. Rail workers have the right to withdraw their labour at any time.

If we should be angry at anyone, it should be this stupid Tory government who don’t give a duck about the working class.

The railway is an essential infrastructure that is so important to the U.K. economy, yet the staff are treated so badly.

It looks like teachers, nurses, postal workers and bus drivers are looking to strike too. This is just the beginning of something much worse if the government doesn’t start paying attention the the working class

My last pay raise was 2019 and I spent nearly a year on furlough!
Mine was 2018, except I worked long hours full time, often with unpaid overtime, whilst everyone else was on furlough

• Heart
My grandson works at an airport as an aircraft groomer........

My point is, is that there are lots of people working in jobs that are low paid and they can’t strike.

Why can't he strike?
There have been quite a few airport groudstaff strike.

Is he a member of a union?