Topshop Nostalgia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A day out shopping and lunching on the high street used to be a pleasure for me, no more. There is so little quality left.
As someone who spent their teenage years (early mid 209s) just wandering round shopping centres on Saturdays with friends , I wonder what they do now? I guess just online?

Reactions: 17
As someone who spent their teenage years (early mid 209s) just wandering round shopping centres on Saturdays with friends , I wonder what they do now? I guess just online?
I was in my local shopping centre one recent Saturday afternoon and the girls seemed to be hanging around the make up shelves in Boots. My teenage nieces hate going there because of their school's mean girls so I can confirm that things haven't changed since I attended the same girls' school during the late 80s/early 90s.
---
Eee! I found a Topshop jacket that I used to own in the noughties on Vinted and it's just arrived, in fantastic condition and beautiful. It maybe wasn't worn much by the seller, but is in excellent condition for being from that long ago, it speaks to the higher quality that they used to have. I'm so happy to have found it! Takes me right back 🥰

I wish I'd kept more of my clothes from back then, everything was so much nicer than these days. I hardly like anything that's out now.
I'd really love to see a pic of it 😀

Reactions: 8
I bought a Topshop Curve kimono dress and some Topshop Curve Joni jeans on Vinted and I must say I adore them. The kimono dress is beautiful, it’s heavy satin, whitish-cream overprinted with black leaves and an attached obi belt. The fit is very generous too and it’s so comfortable to wear.
The jeans fit like they’ve been made for me and they’re fantastic. I only wish that this range had been around when I was younger. Even my mum admired the dress (and that’s high praise indeed from her!) While Topshop has moved on, in some ways that’s really good- us bigger girls now get the chance to share in the fashionable looks that our smaller friends could wear.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I went into H&M with my teenage daughter this week, god it was depressing. Nasty fabrics, and a sort of vaguely inappropriate office wear circa 1995 vibe, lots of beige.
I’ve been looking at some “slow” fashion but i don’t like any of it :( I just want a nice summer dress that’s not like a maternity sack!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I went into H&M with my teenage daughter this week, god it was depressing. Nasty fabrics, and a sort of vaguely inappropriate office wear circa 1995 vibe, lots of beige.
I’ve been looking at some “slow” fashion but i don’t like any of it :( I just want a nice summer dress that’s not like a maternity sack!
Yep - what's happened to H&M? I used to like it, and now everything in it is black, brown or beige and shapeless. Where's the colour, where's the style?

Reactions: 7
I do not understand who h&m is aiming at anymore? I have had a £20 voucher sitting in my purse and have been physically unable to spend it, the stuff is so awful! It's either £30 stringy jumpers you know won't last a wash or cropped hoodies with PEPSI emblazoned on the front 🙄
Don't think I've actually bought anything from there since about 2014.

Reactions: 12
I do not understand who h&m is aiming at anymore? I have had a £20 voucher sitting in my purse and have been physically unable to spend it, the stuff is so awful! It's either £30 stringy jumpers you know won't last a wash or cropped hoodies with PEPSI emblazoned on the front 🙄
Don't think I've actually bought anything from there since about 2014.
I used to get nice summer clothes there over 10 years ago, bright patterns and colours. Now there is nothing.

It used to be great for black tops that weren’t just meh, and ive got a couple of really amazing skirts from there over the years (never worn their trousers as I am not 6’) but it’s just horrible now isn’t it!
the other thing I can’t find is cardigans, they’re all awful. Historically I’ve always found random gems in Next but not any more. Unless you want BEIGE. I look like death in beige and grey (and navy!), can all the shops just stop it with the “neutrals”. But stop this hot pink caper too. And why is everything like a sack or tiered or empire line? I don’t want to look pregnant thanks.
Ughhhh nobody makes replacements for all toe stuff I’ve had 10 years and has worn out! I accept I’m a difficult customer because while I don’t want to look “tasteful” I also don’t want to look “fun”. Maybe it’s time to accept “wacky prints” 😞 fine if you can pull them off but no thanks for me.
---
I sound a bit cross don’t I. What I would like is for the old La Redoute catalogue to come back, their website is too big and I miss the sort of vaguely hippy stuff in muted colours they used to do.

Reactions: 10
Ive got a few really nice topshop boutique bits on Vinted lately. I’m 42 & I’ll be in topshop in my coffin, love the quality & style

I used to love H&M in the noughties when they did their 'Basic' range. Good quality white/black/grey/nude vests, camis and t-shirts and black mini and pencil skirts. I still have one of the skirts, but it's seen better days now and I can't find a replacement anywhere 🙁

I used to love H&M in the noughties when they did their 'Basic' range. Good quality white/black/grey/nude vests, camis and t-shirts and black mini and pencil skirts. I still have one of the skirts, but it's seen better days now and I can't find a replacement anywhere 🙁
Yes - I got so many nice things there for my first office job back in the mid noughties. What the hell has happened to it?

Reactions: 4
For anyone who lives in Asia , I’ve recently discovered a really decent and really reasonably priced shop called Love Bonito

Unsure of whether they ship abroad or where else they have physical stores

I finally look put together in fashionable , tailored but breathable clothes for work!!!

In the same way you can get conservation areas & listed buildings, I wish the gov/office of fair trading/whoever had *something* in place to protect British brands? Like so many have been run to ruin by tit VCs or greed - Topshop, Dr Martens now, etc, etc, like these are cultural touch points (especially DM) in our shared history it’s insanity we let things get run to ruin like this?!

I’m trying to buy a beach cover up dress/kaftan that ties at the front. Everything in the shops is very dull and not colourful. It’s for my holidays…I NEED brights for duck’s sake 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Exactly, I bought some leggings there the other day and after the first wash they ripped in various places, such poor quality

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
I walked past Oxford Street the other day and I missed Topshop being there :(. I still buy their stuff off ASOS and I'm quite old lol

What clothing brand nowadays is closest to classic Topshop in terms of style, quality?
---
I walked past Oxford Street the other day and I missed Topshop being there :(. I still buy their stuff off ASOS and I'm quite old lol
I miss it so much, I loved going in whenever I was down in London. It had atmosphere too and I'd always see kind of cool looking trendy people shopping in it

Reactions: 6