Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bubbadabut

VIP Member
Simone Biles has now said she wasn't hurt, but had suffered "just a little injury to my pride".

So is she insinuating that she felt her vault was so sub-standard (for her) that she just couldn't carry on in the competition? That if the vault was good, she would've been fine to carry on? That's a real issue for her coaches. Has she been built up so much that she is missing the mental fortitude to deal with lacklustre performances?

I feel for her teammates. They made the best out of a difficult situation.

Reactions: 10
Did they say 1928 was the last time GB won a medal? Wow!! The BBC commentators were not expecting that at all they barely mentioned the team :rolleyes: Fantastic result!😁👏👏

Clovis

VIP Member
I'm watching the rugby sevens and I'm enjoying it a lot. The players are all so handsome. Tall, broad shoulders, slim hips, meaty thighs. Oh my, I have the vapours..
200 (1).gif

• Haha

Rodney2208

VIP Member
So? Simone Biles has 32 medals including 7 Olympic medals from 2016 Rio and 2020 Tokyo. It’s an incredible achievement to get an Olympic bronze medal. She participated in the team heats and beam final so she didn’t do nothing. It all counts for USA Gymnastics. Athletes get injured and are removed or replaced but that’s not broadcast as they’re not Simone Biles.
Could not agree more!!!
I think anyone that’s questioning her mental health statement needs to go and watch Athlete A on Netflix which gives an insight in the abuse and trauma that some of the USA gymnastic team, including Simone, had to endure.

Lola123

VIP Member
Love the diving. The Chinese come out top once again with Gold and Silver! Well done to our Tom Daley with Bronze. Really wish this was on longer. But hey ho, Paris next and will be much better for us timing wise at least.
And common wealth games next year!!! So not long for sport

• Heart

AlanBanan

VIP Member
Simone Biles has a lot on her shoulders. She’s basically the face of Gymnastics and keeps being hailed the “best of all time” it must be a tremendous weight on her psyche, as she probably feels if she makes a mistake, it’s game over. She is also now probably facing PTSD, because the last time she was competing in the Olympics is also when Nassar was revealed to be sexually assaulting her and the entire USA gymnastic team for years.

I can’t help but feel there’s a tinge of racism as it’s always black girls who get accused of “attention seeking” when they reveal they are struggling with their mental health and don’t want to compete.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Is anyone else annoyed that the BBC don’t have full rights anymore? I was under the impression that the Olympics are one of the crown jewels of sport that HAD to be shown on terrestrial television? If the games went anywhere else if should have been ITV or Channel Four, NOT Discovery plus which isn’t even on most people’s Sky packages!

Reactions: 9

IrishMeeja

Chatty Member
Blind Gossip had posted about Simone saying she only did individual instead of group as that’s where the money is and the other girls have performed whilst injured and aren’t making a fuss about it. It seems like this will just add fuel to the fire. Going to check out the documentary someone kindly mentioned above, it’s disgusting what they force people to do.
If whoever wrote that blind thinks Simone Biles hasn’t competed injured before, then they don’t understand gymnastics (or indeed any top level sport).

This last week highlights how much work is still needed to have the general public understand trauma and mental health.

bubbadabut

VIP Member
GB Bronze in the Gymnastics? Was NOT expecting that after the selection process and leaving out Becky Downie. Delighted for the girls! Gadirova twins just 16 🤯
Came out of nowhere, wow! Wish we'd got to see more of it. Great floor performance by Melnikova for ROC. With her artistry she reminds me of my all-time favourite, Svetlana Khorkina.

Alexi92

Just read Simone Biles has withdrawn from the Floor final so…

GB’s Jennifer Gadirova will take part as the first reserve!! 🤸🏻‍♀️!! Both twins have made the final.

• Heart

LowCalCalzoneZone

VIP Member
I don't know, I can see Manchester putting in a bid at some point. Brisbane is only the third largest city in Aus and isn't very big really

I've loved this Olympics so much. Although there's been no spectators, it's felt like the focus has been even more on the athletes and their stories than usual. I'm going to miss waking up in the morning and checking my phone to see what we've won 😆

Giggling Squid

VIP Member
Yeah all the team get the medal, there are 4 members who make up the team and they are all listed for the different apparatus. So they all get medals as even if they only did 1/2 pieces you only have 3 athletes per apparatus.
Exactly. Simone was part of the team, her score for the vault would have counted towards the team total so she contributed to the team, albeit not the way that was originally intended. 3 athletes compete on each apparatus and each of those scores count. All 4 members of the team would probably have competed on at least one apparatus in the final, even if Simone had been fully participating

Edit: Simone was not replaced on the team,the other 3 members simply all completed on the 3 apparatus that Simone did not

kazizzle

VIP Member
Honestly it took serious skill for her to land that vault safely today. I’ve seen people panic in the air before. I’ve seen people change their mind mid-skill. It often doesn’t end well. I can understand how that was the final straw for her - she obviously thought she could ignore how she was feeling and push past it (like many of us are pressured to do) but she went for that vault anyway and got lost in the air. That is terrifying. That’s not even her hardest skill! It would have been dangerous for her to push for full difficulty on her routines if she isn’t mentally focused and isn’t feeling confident in her ability to literally twist three times in the air while also doing a double summersault.

Anywaayyyy really enjoyed all the gymnastics performances we got to see on the bbc today. Can’t wait to see what the Gadirova twins do over the next couple of years - great talent!

• Heart