Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

frisbeee

A part of me feels sympathetic but also I still cannot help but see her as unprofessional in the situation. She really should have pulled out (or been pulled out) before the start of the event at the latest. It’s an utterly selfish move
Tbh I think the opposite. She recognised she wasn’t in the right frame of mind to continue and thus wouldn’t perform well. If she believed her teammates would do better than her, immediately removing herself as opposed to muddling on to a second apparatus was the right thing to do for the team. It’s not like she left them with no talent to fill in 🤷🏻‍♀️

Nobody would call a footballer selfish for needing to be subbed off and just because she wasn’t physically injured, it doesn’t mean her mental health isn’t just as important.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Merpedy

VIP Member
Racewalking is fun to watch

Looks like a bunch of people who desperately need the toilet

• Haha
  • Heart

IrishMeeja

Chatty Member
I can’t help but wonder if she and Osaka are either trying to shine a massive spotlight on mental health, are copying each other for attention, or are they throwing a bet?? 🤔 Two megastars crying off looks really really odd. Biles should be at the absolute top of her game right now, 5 years of preparation by the best in the world has come to this?
But then "normal people" can take medication if needs be, not an elite athlete, so maybe things just fester?
Simone Biles went through something extremely traumatic and then had to re-live it again when it became public. Add to top of that being the face of her sport and the face of the US Olympics team. It's extremely normal that she would suffer with her mental health as a result. There was enormous pressure on her to get gold at this Olympics.

Osaka then is the face of the host country. She would in all likelihood have skipped this if it were in any other country.

Claiming that either are doing it as attention seeking is an awful insight into how people view mental health. Particularly given Simone Biles is in a sport where not having your head in the game could mean life altering injuries.

bellinibobble

VIP Member
I am happy for Jade Carey but she literally doesn’t dance or do any decent choreography in her floor routine. Her tumbling is incredible, but compare her routine to the other girls and it really sticks out for me…
I agree - just watched hers and as a former dancer the floor routines always make me 😬 but hers was just stepping about (as the commentators said😂). The twins were amazing with their dance artistry.

Welshgal

VIP Member
I loved the gymnastics. Obviously it’s sad Simone couldn’t compete but it was such a great competition! Very happy for Suni! I almost cried when she cried!

• Heart
Reactions: 11

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
My understanding is they’re not bbc cameras and don’t have any control on what is being shown? So if it cuts to Simone watching then they just simply commented on it? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Welshgal

VIP Member
I’ve just read a news story about the whole
Biles situation and they had the audacity to call Jordan Chiles “completely overwhelmed” which I find so insulting! Except that fall on floor she did so good! She helped her team win silver at the olympics. Not sure how someone can call any type of performer on that level completely overwhelmed 🤬

• Heart

Clovis

VIP Member
Poor Dina. I know she wanted to talk but the BBC have done her dirty showing her breaking down and zooming in closer when she clearly wanted to have a moment to compose herself.

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
[
There were two phases to the competition: the snatch (just taken place) and the clean & jerk. She didn't complete the snatch so doesn't take part in the clean and jerk. The only competitor not to complete. What an absolute waste of a place.
This is what is annoys me so much. A mediocre old man has taken the place of a young talented athlete

• Sad

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
Well done to team GB finishing 4th in the medal table!!

Going to miss watching the Olympics when I’m supposed to be working from home 😂 only a couple of weeks until the Paras!

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Meangirl815

VIP Member
The US commentators were praising Jade but did say the GB twins especially Jessica have great choreography and score highly. Hopefully when they are a little more experienced their tumbling scores can match that to win more medals! 🤸🏻‍♀️

I love watching the twins. They are both so expressive and bubbly

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
Dressage is not cruel. These horses are treated like absolute gods. You cannot force horses to do anything they don’t want to do. Years and years of sympathetic training go towards being able to make a horse move like that.
It’s really hard to explain it to a non rider.

What's your point

VIP Member
Bethany Shriever was on fire!!! Did anyone else feel a bit emotional at how bloody happy she was and how her team mate Kye was cheering her on?

under the ivy

VIP Member
Nothing will ever beat the 2012 London opening ceremony, especially the Industrial Revolution / Pandemonium section. Goosebumps every time.

• Heart

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
I honestly can't wait for the Olympics to be at a semi normal time

I fell asleep during the triathlon yesterday and a lot of the events I want to watch are in the middle of the night including rhythmic gymnastics 😭
Paris 2024. Might even be able to get tickets and have a little trip on the Eurostar