Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, hope everyone is ok.

So i’m on holiday with my 2.5 year old and we are sharina bed (we NEVER share a bed at all, never have, at first I was so excited but now I’ve had enough) and two nights out of the week (we are here for 10) so far she’s been wide awake at 3am for hours. I wonder if I’m waking her up when I’m moving around. I could sleep in the living room but the sofa isn’t that comfy but she’s also started to wake up and wonder if I’m still there?? its only been the two nights and to say we don’t bed share I think we’ve done well😂

Also- should I try capping her nap if she’s up at 3am (maybe too much sleep?) I just don’t know what to do. We’re only here until Tuesday so not long to go till we are home.

Maybe it’s my own fault for letting her nap for over 2 hours yesterday 😪 we’ve had such busy days she was just exhausted and I think her bad mood yesterday evening was related to too much naptime.

Sorry for the somewhat disjointed post I am exhausted! She woke up at 3am last night and didn’t go to sleep until 5:30am, up at 8! 😧

also one think that’s come into my head is that she won’t smile for photos. Is this normal? She doesn’t smile on demand 😂
I don't have advice for the sleeping, but none of my kids will smile on demand 😂 nor look straight at the camera 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I don't have advice for the sleeping, but none of my kids will smile on demand 😂 nor look straight at the camera 😂
when I was awake last night NOT BY CHOICE X it came into my head like what if she’s not normal cos she doesn’t smile for any photos we have 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I don’t have any advice regarding the sleep either! I’m useless with knowing what to do with a toddlers sleep! But my 2 year old doesn’t smile on demand or for photos either! If we’re at home I’ll put something I know makes him laugh on the tv and strategically get a pic but anywhere in public I don’t know 🤣 I think sometimes he sees me get my phone for a pic and he purposely thinks ‘nah, I’ll wind her up and won’t smile for a pic’

Reactions: 2

So i’m on holiday with my 2.5 year old and we are sharing a bed (we NEVER share a bed at all, never have, at first I was so excited but now I’ve had enough) and two nights out of the week (we are here for 10) so far she’s been wide awake at 3am for hours. I wonder if I’m waking her up when I’m moving around. I could sleep in the living room but the sofa isn’t that comfy but she’s also started to wake up and wonder if I’m still there?? its only been the two nights and to say we don’t bed share I think we’ve done well😂

Also- should I try capping her nap if she’s up at 3am (maybe too much sleep?) I just don’t know what to do. We’re only here until Tuesday so not long to go till we are home.

Maybe it’s my own fault for letting her nap for over 2 hours yesterday 😪 we’ve had such busy days she was just exhausted and I think her bad mood yesterday evening was related to too much naptime.

Sorry for the somewhat disjointed post I am exhausted! She woke up at 3am last night and didn’t go to sleep until 5:30am, up at 8! 😧

Also one thing that’s come into my head is that she won’t smile for photos. Is this normal? She doesn’t smile on demand 😂
Stop the nap - try to keep her active during the day and then see how long she lasts into the evening. She may well flake out at 6pm and that might be bedtime!!! Are you away somewhere warm?

Stop the nap - try to keep her active during the day and then see how long she lasts into the evening. She may well flake out at 6pm and that might be bedtime!!! Are you away somewhere warm?
i can’t stop the nap, she’s still having 1.5 hours generally and without it she’s a nightmare! I just think letting her nap too long yesterday didn’t help 😵💫 we are out all day in the pool and running round the park, busier than home 😂 she’s just been exhausted atm but maybe need to remember too much naptime impacts bedtime🤷🏼‍♀️, just felt mean cos she was shattered!

Yeah we are in Majorca, we’ve got aircon at night but I don’t think it’s strong enough hmmm. I don’t wanna share a bed again with her 😂

So i’m on holiday with my 2.5 year old and we are sharing a bed (we NEVER share a bed at all, never have, at first I was so excited but now I’ve had enough) and two nights out of the week (we are here for 10) so far she’s been wide awake at 3am for hours. I wonder if I’m waking her up when I’m moving around. I could sleep in the living room but the sofa isn’t that comfy but she’s also started to wake up and wonder if I’m still there?? its only been the two nights and to say we don’t bed share I think we’ve done well😂

Also one thing that’s come into my head is that she won’t smile for photos. Is this normal? She doesn’t smile on demand 😂
Could you pick up a large travel cot or blow up bed type thing from anywhere today? Unsure where abouts you are! Tuesday is still another 4 nights (if my brain is working right 🤣) so might be worth it to enjoy the rest of your holiday without worrying about sleep?

Also yes definitely normal, my 2 year old just runs away most of the time. I have a lovely 820000 pictures of the back of his head though 👍🏼😂

Could you pick up a large travel cot or blow up bed type thing from anywhere today? Unsure where abouts you are! Tuesday is still another 4 nights (if my brain is working right 🤣) so might be worth it to enjoy the rest of your holiday without worrying about sleep?

Also yes definitely normal, my 2 year old just runs away most of the time. I have a lovely 820000 pictures of the back of his head though 👍🏼😂
I had a travel cot in the room and she slept in it the first night as she was exhausted but after that she didn’t want to, she climbed out🙄 yeah I’m just feeling so tired today! She’s in a right mood again and I dunno what’s going on with her, about to leave to go to the pool and she’s had a meltdown over getting dressed even though she said pool clothes to me. Had enough today 😡 we’ve had abit more of a chilled morning but I refuse to sit in the apartment all day abroad!

I had a travel cot in the room and she slept in it the first night as she was exhausted but after that she didn’t want to, she climbed out🙄 yeah I’m just feeling so tired today! She’s in a right mood again and I dunno what’s going on with her, about to leave to go to the pool and she’s had a meltdown over getting dressed even though she said pool clothes to me. Had enough today 😡 we’ve had abit more of a chilled morning but I refuse to sit in the apartment all day abroad!
My huge sympathies. We’ve had some absolutely shocking holiday meltdowns, always feels like you should have just stayed at home! 😩 With my older 2 it’s usually lack of sleep/too much stimulation/new places freak them out a bit/the heat/about to get unwell (which guarantee always happens on holiday!) or something along those lines. 2.5 is a rough age to add to all of that 😅 Hope the rest of your day perks up lovely xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Is she drinking enough water??

She seems abit better. I think we’ve just overdone it with being at the pool all day, not much rest but she’s constantly on the go. Will have a chilled afternoon once she’s up from her nap. I seem to forget if I’m tired she must be feeling it too. I’ve set up the camp bed that I found under the sofa to pull out and it’s a single mattress too! So I’ve set that up next to mine against the curtains with her bed rail so hopefully be ok tonight for both of us. Thanks for the advice all x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Anyone know the best thing for teething, neice is having a hell of a time with her side an back teeth coming in, today's been bad, she had some calpol this morning an I gave her some Ashton an parsons before her lunch, we've tried bongela an she has those teething things you keep in the freezer but she's just getting fussy an am finding food to be hard as well, not sure the best things to give her, last night the chicken set her off an she's not had much today, tried some scrambled egg but can only get half down her before it's thrown accross the room

Anyone know the best thing for teething, neice is having a hell of a time with her side an back teeth coming in, today's been bad, she had some calpol this morning an I gave her some Ashton an parsons before her lunch, we've tried bongela an she has those teething things you keep in the freezer but she's just getting fussy an am finding food to be hard as well, not sure the best things to give her, last night the chicken set her off an she's not had much today, tried some scrambled egg but can only get half down her before it's thrown accross the room
Could you try freezing things like watermelon? Turns them into a soothing but healthy snack. Cucumber is great and soothing for gums too. Sounds like you’re doing the right thing, don’t worry too much about eating when they’re teething - small kids can live off air if they want to! Xx

Reactions: 1
Could you try freezing things like watermelon? Turns them into a soothing but healthy snack. Cucumber is great and soothing for gums too. Sounds like you’re doing the right thing, don’t worry too much about eating when they’re teething - small kids can live off air if they want to! Xx
Thanks, that's been my biggest worry is the not eating, she's still drinking but I've been a bit worried with food, ill try some cucumber an see how she gets on, we have some of those soft bakes but she isn't even wanting those or her yougurts

How old is she? My girl suffers so much with her teeth the only thing that helps is anbesol liquid. I’d check with her parents they’re happy for her to have it first though. With food you can give melon, yoghurt, rice pudding, frozen bananas blended up is good. Try to offer the usual things but with some softer bits so she has the option.

This stuff is the best we found. Rub it into the sore gums and it works really quickly to provide pain relief. That and calpol. Give soft stuff to eat if solid stuff isn’t going down - soft fruits, yoghurts etc

How old is she? My girl suffers so much with her teeth the only thing that helps is anbesol liquid. I’d check with her parents they’re happy for her to have it first though. With food you can give melon, yoghurt, rice pudding, frozen bananas blended up is good. Try to offer the usual things but with some softer bits so she has the option.
She's just turning 16m, we went out an got some of those 7m food packets cause its blended up since usually she has what we have an anything she needs to chew she's spitting back out the now, but she's not for even having those, we have tried her with her yougurts but after two spoons it's a no, I'll look into that anbesol liquid an try it, honestly my bro an his wife are exhausted, it's how I've had her since wed an keeping her till Sunday, so if anything we can find works they said it's fine, we just need somthing that will sooth her

I used to use teething granules between the trading meds but always check suitability before giving anything to a child, the pharmacist will be able to advise you.

Flash cards, stuff on YouTube, repetition defo! My daughter watches blippi no end and she knows at the end he says “let’s spell my name B L I P P I” and she says the letters out like he does and she’s 2.5 too,stick with it. Is there any SALT stuff online you can download for him xx

How are you feeling today? X
I’m feeling a lot better today thanks, explained to husband what happened and he told me I was to have a break and have some self care/rest which has made me feel a bit better. My son and me have had a good couple of enjoyable days to which has helped. Hope your doing ok x

just want to say a thank you for all of help/support the other day it was appreciated x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi guys. Just wondering if I can get some fellow parental opinions.

Took my 2.5 year old daughter to A&E Thursday night. Basically the childminder told me when I picked her up, that she's choked on some food at lunch and been sick, but that she was otherwise ok and just scared herself a bit mainly. Anyway, when we got home, she was hysterical, kept putting her fingers in her mouth, gagging, pulling these weird faces and sticking her tongue out and just generally miserable. So I rang 111 as I was worried that maybe some food was still lodged or something. The GP told me to go to A&E. They were a bit off with us and made us feel like we'd wasted their time, but they listened to her lungs and tried their best to look in her mouth (difficult!) and said nothing was there but maybe her throat was just sore from being sick or she was traumatised etc.
Roll on the next morning, she wakes up with a raging temp of 39.9. I instantly have visions of this being connected and her having bloody sepsis or something so we ring 111 again. After an age on hold, they say to wait for a callback from a GP. 5 hours later, the GP books us a face to face appointment. We turn up, GP is fuming we haven't done a lateral flow (my bad but I don't have any and I'm not paying!). Basically checks her temp which is lower by now as we've given Calpol etc, listens to her chest, checks briefly in her mouth and diagnoses tonsillitis.
NOW my issue is, the doc at the A&E the night before actually expressly said 'her tonsils are quite big but not red and definitely not infected'.
We've been given antibiotics (Penicillin V) but I cannot get them in to her for love nor money. 4 of us pinning her down and she still won't open her mouth and I've tried everything. She gets so distressed she then vomits and it's a waste of time. Can't put it in yoghurt or juice as it's bright orange, so she notices the colour change and the taste and just refuses it.

I know antibiotics are important but:

1) I'm wondering how two different GPs can have such differing opinions when they barely looked in her mouth in the first place.
Also she now has a runny nose and cough, which surely is a virus and ABs won't work?
2) Is it worth distressing my daughter and making her vomit? Disguising it is just not working and I'm worried she'll refuse to eat or drink even the tiny amount she is now having, as she suspects me of hiding it in her food.

If you read all this, thank you :)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.