Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How should I name all my kids nursery clothes???? I didn’t really want to pen it because I sell a lot of his old stuff on Vinted. I spent about £20 on iron on labels from eBay and they’ve all come off in the f**king wash so I’m fuming and I left bad feedback and the seller is having a go at me now 🤣🤣

Shall I just biro the labels?!!! Help

• Haha
Reactions: 1
How should I name all my kids nursery clothes???? I didn’t really want to pen it because I sell a lot of his old stuff on Vinted. I spent about £20 on iron on labels from eBay and they’ve all come off in the f**king wash so I’m fuming and I left bad feedback and the seller is having a go at me now 🤣🤣

You could do sharpie on the labels and then cut them out when you sell, or I use a stamp from stamptastic with our surname on it on the labels.

So glad to find this thread. I have searched to see if this has been asked about before but couldn’t see anything on it, which means it might just be me who’s a mug… my daughter is 2.5 and I still have to cuddle and rock her to sleep at night. I have to get her to sleep before she goes in the cot 99% of the time otherwise she just won’t go to sleep. I tried a few things when she was younger to try and get her to go to sleep independently but I just couldn’t take the crying so here we are.

Any advice or is anyone in the same boat?
My daughter will be 4 in July and she sleeps in our bed every night. I have to stay with her to go to sleep every night she has never fallen asleep by herself. I also have a 16 month old who was parented pretty much the same and we co slept for the first 9 months and then all of a sudden decided she wanted her own space she wasn’t settling next to me and preferred being the cot. She now goes to sleep independently every night but still wakes once for a feed. For a long time I blamed myself that my older one couldn’t sleep without me and wondered why she was so scared about sleeping by herself but I just believe that they all have different needs. There’s only just over 2 years between them yet are very very different in terms of sleep. Sorry for the long message but there were many times I encouraged her to sleep independently in her ‘big girl bed’ I tried everything honestly and nothing worked as she got too upset. I have now accepted that this is what she needs and will continue to sleep with her until she’s ready to sleep by herself. So I have no advice, just that it’s completely normal and in their own time they will sleep independently. Even now she will wake up more times in the night than my younger one. She is very independent in the day and very confident but at night she needs that support.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Just use a black sharpie. If you ever want to sell the clothes just cut the labels off.

You could do sharpie on the labels and then cut them out when you sell, or I use a stamp from stamptastic with our surname on it on the labels.
I write it on the edge of the label but now in worried someone from school will take the wrong jumper home and cut it off so they can keep it

My daughter will be 4 in July and she sleeps in our bed every night. I have to stay with her to go to sleep every night she has never fallen asleep by herself. I also have a 16 month old who was parented pretty much the same and we co slept for the first 9 months and then all of a sudden decided she wanted her own space she wasn’t settling next to me and preferred being the cot. She now goes to sleep independently every night but still wakes once for a feed. For a long time I blamed myself that my older one couldn’t sleep without me and wondered why she was so scared about sleeping by herself but I just believe that they all have different needs. There’s only just over 2 years between them yet are very very different in terms of sleep. Sorry for the long message but there were many times I encouraged her to sleep independently in her ‘big girl bed’ I tried everything honestly and nothing worked as she got too upset. I have now accepted that this is what she needs and will continue to sleep with her until she’s ready to sleep by herself. So I have no advice, just that it’s completely normal and in their own time they will sleep independently. Even now she will wake up more times in the night than my younger one. She is very independent in the day and very confident but at night she needs that support.
Totally totally agree with this. My 2,5 yo we have always bedshared and never really bothered us, now I’m bedsharing with my 10 month old and my partner with the toddler in another room and it’s come to the point where he will stick his fingers in his dads ears and up his nose and steal his pillow throughout the night 🤣🤣 just cos he is there but he never wakes he sleeps from 6-6:30 so now my partner comes and sleeps with me and baby cos we realised it’s just cos his dad is there that he fidgets and no longer needs that comfort.

All in their own time as you say they’re all different!

Reactions: 3
I write it on the edge of the label but now in worried someone from school will take the wrong jumper home and cut it off so they can keep it
I cannot imagine anyone ever doing that?! I have only ever done it on the label, and I’ve never so much as had a wrong jumper home.

Love this response. Some kids just need the support and I don’t like to see mine upset when I have tried getting him to sleep on his own. eventually tbey go in their own rooms don’t they they won’t be 12 and still in your bed ☺ Personally not a fan of trying to force it but I do understand some parents having enough of being disturbed each night. It’s hard

Reactions: 7
So just wondering, how much do you get out with your toddler. For instance- in my case it’s just myself & my daughter who is 2. She goes to nursery Monday&Tuesdays and Wednesday and Thursday she’s at home with me. I always feel like I have to be out and about with her, at toddler groups etc.. and she enjoys them. Fridays she goes to a family members as I work (to save nursery fees too).. atleast once a month we go to the zoo (annual pass). I split the weekend with her Dad, so on the day we might go to the park or on the swings, or go for a walk in the woods etc. She has lots of toys and plays with them too at home so she’s never really bored.

I try and have one morning where we chill and just do nothing.. I feel like I do too much with her though compared to other mums on my Facebook. I just feel guilty when we are inside not doing a great deal and she’s stuck in front of the tv. The reason for my post is I’ve just gotten over covid and we’ve been pretty much housebound and she’s not been as bored as I thought she would be 🤣🤣

How much do you do outside/groups with your toddler?
I'm the same as you but mainly because I get bored in the house all day. My toddler is fine playing with his toys. We do swimming and soft play and forest school on my two days off. Now the nicer weather is coming we will probably have a few more quieter garden days but I'm just not one for sitting in.

Toddler bean (3 in September) has started to play in his room a lot more as we’ve had to take toys up due to the baby stuff taking over. There isn’t anything dangerous in his room, but after reading another thread, I’ve feel a bit neglectful 🙈 he’s in a bed so can get in and out when he wants. His bedroom is also upstairs, and he’s very confident on the stairs and we’ve always taught him how to use them properly
Does anyone think he’s too young? Obviously we check on him, and he doesn’t stay up for long

Toddler bean (3 in September) has started to play in his room a lot more as we’ve had to take toys up due to the baby stuff taking over. There isn’t anything dangerous in his room, but after reading another thread, I’ve feel a bit neglectful 🙈 he’s in a bed so can get in and out when he wants. His bedroom is also upstairs, and he’s very confident on the stairs and we’ve always taught him how to use them properly
Does anyone think he’s too young? Obviously we check on him, and he doesn’t stay up for long
Toddler bean is nothing like Wobble, and your nothing like Raq.
So long as your checking on him often and you can hear him (which I know your probably can) I don't see the issue. Not like you're leaving talc laying around😝

• Haha
Toddler bean is nothing like Wobble, and your nothing like Raq.
So long as your checking on him often and you can hear him (which I know your probably can) I don't see the issue. Not like you're leaving talc laying around😝
Ahahahahah 😂😂 I knew you would know! Honestly, he’s so independent, and he loves his trains. He’s also not stuck up there all day 👀
I don’t actually think we have any talc. Mr B uses it all 😂

• Haha
Ahahahahah 😂😂 I knew you would know! Honestly, he’s so independent, and he loves his trains. He’s also not stuck up there all day 👀
I don’t actually think we have any talc. Mr B uses it all 😂
The eldest was in and out of his room at that age & we never had any issues. He Probably enjoys the break away from baby bean!

Reactions: 2

When my kids started school I bought little embroidered name tags and sewed them into their clothes. When I passed any items on I cut them out and reused them. I still have loads of labels left and they're both in their late thirties now. 😅

When my kids started school I bought little embroidered name tags and sewed them into their clothes. When I passed any items on I cut them out and reused them. I still have loads of labels left and they're both in their late thirties now. 😅
My mum used to use these 😁 one of my teddies still has it on there ( that teddy is now my sons) 🤣 and I’m 27.

• Heart
The eldest was in and out of his room at that age & we never had any issues. He Probably enjoys the break away from baby bean!
This is true! And I can’t blame him! Never had it with the kid. He loved being downstairs. We had a bigger front room then and toys everywhere 😂

My 4yo has played upstairs since baby was born. So she was 3y1m when she started going up.
It gave her her own space to play without the noise of a baby and without me constantly telling her not to shout 😂
We made sure she knew to keep her door open so we could hear her. And we'd just go up and see her every so often.
She'd always look up from playing and just be like "What do you want?" as if I'm taking up valuable playing time by checking she's alright 😂
She chooses to go up there. Especially now she has toys with smaller parts she can't have around Everleigh.
Seeing the mess get more and more each time I go check on her though is 🙃😂

Curious why people would think it's neglectful though 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My 4yo has played upstairs since baby was born. So she was 3y1m when she started going up.
It gave her her own space to play without the noise of a baby and without me constantly telling her not to shout 😂
We made sure she knew to keep her door open so we could hear her. And we'd just go up and see her every so often.
She'd always look up from playing and just be like "What do you want?" as if I'm taking up valuable playing time by checking she's alright 😂
She chooses to go up there. Especially now she has toys with smaller parts she can't have around Everleigh.
Seeing the mess get more and more each time I go check on her though is 🙃😂

Curious why people would think it's neglectful though 😂
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve nearly broken my ankle after putting him for his nap and falling on a train 😂 he loves it. He’s had free reign since he was about 2, but has only just started playing nicely and setting up the tracks 😭

He’s definitely neglected, but sometimes kids like playing by themselves and we can’t wrap them up all the time! Otherwise they end up like kid bean who needs someone there all the time 🙃

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve nearly broken my ankle after putting him for his nap and falling on a train 😂 he loves it. He’s had free reign since he was about 2, but has only just started playing nicely and setting up the tracks 😭

He’s definitely neglected, but sometimes kids like playing by themselves and we can’t wrap them up all the time! Otherwise they end up like kid bean who needs someone there all the time 🙃
This is exactly what she was like. She's always needed someone near.
So I'm super proud of her actually getting to the point of going in her room herself.
I think it's good for them! She gets to play in her little imaginary world uninterrupted and free.

I'm back again to ask about my 4yo and development.
I think it's the going to school which has brought it in 😂 I'm in full Mum guilt mode and feeling like I haven't done enough and I'm "running out of time"

We went to a big playground yesterday.
We haven't been loads, mainly because of lockdown ect, then having a baby and stuff after.
But my 4yo struggles on play equipment.
She can't climb things herself, especially if it's not something that it's straight forward ladder ect. Even then if the gaps are too big, she struggles and she can't work out how to get up once at the top.
And it's made me feel so guilty. Like I've not taken her enough.
Especially yesterday, I noticed how there were kids much smaller than her, doing it by themselves.

I panic myself anyway because I'm so worried about her getting hurt.
She also struggles with confidence when doing things. Even simple things like putting her socks on, if she can't get it on, that's it, she's in tears and she insists she can't do it, even though she does it every day.
I don't know why she's like that because I'm always so encouraging to try things and praise when she does it.

Had massive guilt yesterday realising we got her a bike for christmas and she's only been on it 4 or 5 times because it has a flat tyre and I keep forgetting to buy a pump 😔 So now I feel like I've wasted all this time not taking her out.

With the playground thing, I'm so worried they'll go on a school trip or something and all the kids will be playing on a playground and she can't do it!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.