Toddler Advice Thread #6 Christmas is coming, as are the illnesses

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What are the signs of being ready for potty training?

my 19 month old tugs a this nappy a lot and says “no” and runs away if I ask if he’s had a 💩 or his nappy changing 😂

I don’t think he’s there quite yet but I’d like to be prepared

What are the signs of being ready for potty training?

my 19 month old tugs a this nappy a lot and says “no” and runs away if I ask if he’s had a 💩 or his nappy changing 😂

I don’t think he’s there quite yet but I’d like to be prepared
I will be perfectly honest, none of my four have ever shown any “signs” of being ready. I just chose a time that was convenient and we went for it. All out of nappies and using the toilet well unaided (except wiping poos!), with no major incidents before 2.5. I don’t really believe in the “signs” for that reason.

Reactions: 3
I will be perfectly honest, none of my four have ever shown any “signs” of being ready. I just chose a time that was convenient and we went for it. All out of nappies and using the toilet well unaided (except wiping poos!), with no major incidents before 2.5. I don’t really believe in the “signs” for that reason.
Ah thank you! It's my first so honestly not sure where to start! I think I'll just buy a potty and figure out where to go from there haha!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
In regards to potty training, what do/ did you all do when starting and navigating car journeys?
I regularly make an hours drive to my mums house, but there isn't really anywhere to pull over. Not until around 45 mins in. So what do you do? Put them in a nappy?and then when I get mums put him straight on the potty? Or do I need to figure out a way of pulling over safely somewhere? I'm so confused with the whole potty training!

In regards to potty training, what do/ did you all do when starting and navigating car journeys?
I regularly make an hours drive to my mums house, but there isn't really anywhere to pull over. Not until around 45 mins in. So what do you do? Put them in a nappy?and then when I get mums put him straight on the potty? Or do I need to figure out a way of pulling over safely somewhere? I'm so confused with the whole potty training!
Go right before you leave and you can always use a pull up the first few times if you think it’s needed.
---
Honestly, every single time I felt confused. Like “how the hell do I actually do this?” But it actually works out fine once you decide to start, you and they work it out together. But I felt nervous each time because I felt like I didn’t know what to do, even when I had done it before! Being confident in yourself is half the battle.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Ah thank you! It's my first so honestly not sure where to start! I think I'll just buy a potty and figure out where to go from there haha!
You basically spend your whole day going "do you need a pee?" Over and over with an occasional "have you done a pee in your pants?" And running to the toilet 🤣🫠

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
My toddler is 3 in June and I have an almost 5 month old and the behaviour is quite similar, solidarity not much advice🤣 He is obsessed with his wee brother but can be rough and handsy, he sees us tickling the baby they he goes and tries but is like rag dolling him about 😅 when he is over stimulated I do noticed then he will go out of his way to hit the baby so we've really pulled back on screen time, what he's watching when he does watch it and I got a wee timer off amazon so he only watches 30 min chunks twice a day.
I got little routine cards which help so if I'm about to feed the baby or put him for a nap I'll show him those for baby's now and next and then show him his now and next like you playing your toys now, next mummy and you will play etc. Also of he's really over stimulated blowing bubbles helps them regulate breathing and calm down.
Usual stuff as well like trying not to have a big reaction to when he hits the baby, Lots of one on one time etc.
Who knows some days and weeks are better than others. What doesn't help is him and his wee pals play so rough at nursery, sure it's normal but it means he wants to play rough and tumble with everyone so really having to work on that boundary😅

Just adding would a wee picture book of you all help? My sisters a community nurse and works with families and kids who have ASN and she has really good tips and tricks and that was one I haven't used yet as we go through pictures on our phone before bed of the day but a wee photo album might help with the separation anxiety? She also gave the blowing bubbles advice and speaking in now and next rather than over whelming them with plans for the whole day x
Wow that’s such good advice thank you.
I think he definitely high on the sensory needs scale so these are all things I’ve not thought of in my sleep deprived state. Thanks again 😘😘
Solidarity to everyone going through the same xx

• Heart
Trying them before you go is a given but they still catch you out! We found the reusable fabric training pants really handy for car journeys as they’re a bit thicker than normal underwear but wasn’t a nappy as such and if they had an accident it wasn’t a complete disaster! We also had a travel potty!

• Heart
Wow that’s such good advice thank you.
I think he definitely high on the sensory needs scale so these are all things I’ve not thought of in my sleep deprived state. Thanks again 😘😘
Solidarity to everyone going through the same xx
Hope something helps or it passes soon. My sister gives me this great advice but she has no kids so when she's over helping me and actually in the moment she's like "what do we do?!"🤣 helpful to have someone to bounce it off of and hear what others do eh x

• Heart
Hope something helps or it passes soon. My sister gives me this great advice but she has no kids so when she's over helping me and actually in the moment she's like "what do we do?!"🤣 helpful to have someone to bounce it off of and hear what others do eh x
Definitely and good to know others go through it. Sometimes I have just felt it must be something I’m doing wrong.
Random question off thread but has weaning affected any other LOs sleep? Ours has gone to tit before it was about manageable but now just can’t settle at all. 🥺

• Heart
First day off spent with my 3 year old today. And I’ve cried 3 times. He’s been awful, crying at anything I ask him to do, we had to stay in till about 1 ish to have our washing machine fixed but I gave him my full attention and played on the floor with him. But once they’d gone he just turned, he has been a complete nightmare, he had a 2 hour meltdown ! Kept asking to go out, then come home, then go out then come home. I was losing the will to live.
I work full time and look forward to my days off with him but not after today, I’m dreading tomorrow now ☹☹ I’ve had to come upstairs and unwind away from him and his daddy while they play. Just need time to reflect I guess.
God this parenting is bloody hardwork! I’d literally die for that kid but he has driven me absolutely insane today.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Does anyone have advice about a 2 year old starting nursery please? He has done the settling in sessions and started today. They said he was unsettled this morning but seemed better after a while. Picked him up before 1pm and he was walking around crying before he saw me then seemed very angry that he’d been left there all morning. I know it’ll be good for him but also I have been wracked with guilt for leaving him 😞

Does anyone have advice about a 2 year old starting nursery please? He has done the settling in sessions and started today. They said he was unsettled this morning but seemed better after a while. Picked him up before 1pm and he was walking around crying before he saw me then seemed very angry that he’d been left there all morning. I know it’ll be good for him but also I have been wracked with guilt for leaving him 😞
It does get better ❤
How often is he going? Xxx

My 2 year old started just after Christmas. He does 2 mornings a week. His brother went to the same one, so we have been going there all his life, so I know the girls well and he also knew them. He cried everyday dropping him off, and then when I picked him up as soon as he saw me he cried (trickster! I knew he was ok) and after about 4 weeks he was so settled. He now runs in and says bye and blows me a kiss and doesn’t even look back. It was the best thing for him, with me wfh, the tv is on all the time and he’s so under stimulated. Maybe speak with his key worker, or anyone else that looks after him. They will help you x

It does get better ❤
How often is he going? Xxx
Thank you. He is there two mornings a week at the moment. I would like to up it to 3 mornings in the future, it is much better going nursery > work rather than dropping him to grandparents (miles in the wrong direction) then going to work.

My 2 year old started just after Christmas. He does 2 mornings a week. His brother went to the same one, so we have been going there all his life, so I know the girls well and he also knew them. He cried everyday dropping him off, and then when I picked him up as soon as he saw me he cried (trickster! I knew he was ok) and after about 4 weeks he was so settled. He now runs in and says bye and blows me a kiss and doesn’t even look back. It was the best thing for him, with me wfh, the tv is on all the time and he’s so under stimulated. Maybe speak with his key worker, or anyone else that looks after him. They will help you x
Thank you. Did the crying last long each day? I had an update around 10.30 saying he had settled by then. I am glad your son is happy now going in now😊that is definitely helpful to hear

Thank you. Did the crying last long each day? I had an update around 10.30 saying he had settled by then. I am glad your son is happy now going in now😊that is definitely helpful to hear
No, they said after 10/15 mins he was fine. He may have been crying longer, but they never told me otherwise. I know 100% he is fine now. I was worried about today, as it was his first day back after the half term, but he went straight in for the pens 😂

So my daughter had to go full time (8-4) mon-friday when she had just turned two. She was the same the first 5 weeks (also doesn't help that she was sick and was off the full second week 😂🙃) really upset, clinging to me at the door it was awful. But she eventually got into the swing of things and she actually wants to go every morning, it must be so much more interesting than hanging about with me 😂 she walks in without saying bye to me most days. When you're in the beginning it's so hard and it doesn't seem like it'll get any easier but it defo does, it's so so good for them too. She's come on so much development wise.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Feel like my 4 yo isn't a toddler any more but never mind:

What time do your kids wake up in the morning? My daughter has usually been ok with sleep, and bar the occasional 'leap' we've always been quite lucky. However, for the last 3 or 4 weeks she's been waking up as soon as it gets to 6am, like on the dot. Every morning. It used to be I had to wake HER at 7.15 for me to go to work, but now she's up and going for a wee as soon as she wakes and she will not go back to sleep :(
She's usually asleep by 7/7.15pm, is a bit of a restless sleeper but always has been. But yeah, I'm just a bit confused why she's suddenly awake so early. She says the birds wake her, but I don't hear any so I don't know if that's just something she's heard me say and repeats it. I wonder if it's a sign she's nearly ready to be dry at night, as she goes straight for a wee when she gets up, which she never used to.
She has blackout curtains and blinds etc. Heating doesn't come on. I know I'll sound so precious but I can't bear waking before 7am and I really want a lay in again 😆
On the odd night we've gone for dinner or something and she's been a bit late to bed, ie 7.30/7.45, she is still up at the crack of dawn so :unsure:

Feel like my 4 yo isn't a toddler any more but never mind:

What time do your kids wake up in the morning? My daughter has usually been ok with sleep, and bar the occasional 'leap' we've always been quite lucky. However, for the last 3 or 4 weeks she's been waking up as soon as it gets to 6am, like on the dot. Every morning. It used to be I had to wake HER at 7.15 for me to go to work, but now she's up and going for a wee as soon as she wakes and she will not go back to sleep :(
She's usually asleep by 7/7.15pm, is a bit of a restless sleeper but always has been. But yeah, I'm just a bit confused why she's suddenly awake so early. She says the birds wake her, but I don't hear any so I don't know if that's just something she's heard me say and repeats it. I wonder if it's a sign she's nearly ready to be dry at night, as she goes straight for a wee when she gets up, which she never used to.
She has blackout curtains and blinds etc. Heating doesn't come on. I know I'll sound so precious but I can't bear waking before 7am and I really want a lay in again 😆
On the odd night we've gone for dinner or something and she's been a bit late to bed, ie 7.30/7.45, she is still up at the crack of dawn so :unsure:
My 11 year old has always been an early riser.
It’s never mattered what time he’s gone to bed, he’s up before the sun.
From literally being born he’s started his day every day at either 5.30am or 6am if it’s the winter and it’s still dark.
Even now he’s up before me most mornings, he’s a true early bird.
When he was about 5, we’d been to a party and got in at midnight, he was still up at the crack of dawn.

She may just be an early riser, you can hope she grows out of it, I’m patiently waiting for the 11 year old to sleep in so I can get my revenge on him and have him up when he doesn’t wanna be up. 😂

• Heart
can I have some advice pls?
My little one was recently admitted to hosp due to scarlet fever where she was given IV antibiotics. After 3 days she was discharged & given oral penicillin to take for a further week.
These were taken on time, twice a day & the full course was completed yesterday.
m this morning she woke up, complaining of a sore throat again & pain when swallowing. she’s also showing cold symptoms (runny nose/sneezing)
Have the antibiotics not worked ? Do I pull her out of school again, take time off work & battle with my local doctors for a gp appointment or is this a normal recovery/reaction from strep/antiobiotic treatment?

TIA.

• Heart