Toddler Advice Thread #6 Christmas is coming, as are the illnesses

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry everyone else is going through it but reassuring it’s not just me. Was beginning to worry it was my parenting 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Sorry everyone else is going through it but reassuring it’s not just me. Was beginning to worry it was my parenting 😬
I’ve been using mindfulness techniques with my 4 year old since she was born. Yesterday I was quite cranky and snappy and she told me to find my calm like Mr Bread from Netflix. So glad to know my parenting is really paying off 🤣

• Haha
I’ve been using mindfulness techniques with my 4 year old since she was born. Yesterday I was quite cranky and snappy and she told me to find my calm like Mr Bread from Netflix. So glad to know my parenting is really paying off 🤣
I got told “good job using your manners, mama!” yesterday by our three year old. Children are eternally humbling 😬

Reactions: 1
Been in and out of doctors, hospitals with my little girl the last few weeks. She's not eaten properly for ages and keeps vomiting on and off. Saw another different doctor today who said she's impacted and needs clearing out... I'm not convinced but I have no fight left in me to suggest otherwise :cry:

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Been in and out of doctors, hospitals with my little girl the last few weeks. She's not eaten properly for ages and keeps vomiting on and off. Saw another different doctor today who said she's impacted and needs clearing out... I'm not convinced but I have no fight left in me to suggest otherwise :cry:
You’ll be surprised what impaction does, she very well could be.
my daughter lives permanently constipated and at it’s worst she runs a high fever, won’t eat or drink and vomits day and night because of how backed up she is, her bowels and intestines put pressure on her stomach and the remaining contents come out.

• Heart
  • Sad
Anyone else have/had a velcro toddler?? Everytime I take my little one (17months) to a playgroup or class she just clings to me and winges the whole time! I really want to get her out and interacting with other kids but feel like it's so hard when she just wants me all the time, and keeps pointing to the door cos she wants to leave! Anyone else experienced this and have any advice?! I'm losing the will to live here! 😭😭

Anyone else have/had a velcro toddler?? Everytime I take my little one (17months) to a playgroup or class she just clings to me and winges the whole time! I really want to get her out and interacting with other kids but feel like it's so hard when she just wants me all the time, and keeps pointing to the door cos she wants to leave! Anyone else experienced this and have any advice?! I'm losing the will to live here! 😭😭
All my kids have been like this at groups. They never wanted to leave my side. Some kids are natural watchers, they prefer to be observing others and interactions rather than taking part. At 17 months I wouldn’t expect a huge amount of interaction with others, maybe some parallel play but not much else.
For reference my current toddler will be 3 in April, and at the one group we go to (in a very familiar setting, with all familiar people) he doesn’t play with anyone, and stays with me the whole time. It can be soooooo frustrating. When you see other wee ones playing away without a care and you can’t get a second, and they seem to hate it. It’s not a fun experience. Tbh the only reason I go is because it’s in my church and I help set up etc. Otherwise I just wouldn’t bother as he doesn’t love it. So maybe just have a break from them and try again at a later time? No point in you both being miserable.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yes my daughter was like this. She would be ok if I sat and played with her but if any other children came up to her or what we were playing with would freak. Even the lady running it would say “oh will I get a smile/hello today. Oh there’s that frown” which used to drive me mad! I persevered with that one group as it was on my doorstep and free and she became more social over time. She’s four now and has so many friends at preschool and our groups. She still has a tendency to want to observe a group or setting first and some weeks can be less wanting to join in without me but that’s fine. I do encourage her now and say if she doesn’t want to do this activity we can sit this one out or leave and 9/10 times she will join in.

• Heart
Is it normal for toddlers to go super fussy with food? My baby girl ate everything and anything I gave her when weaning / up till about 18 months, but she’s 2 next month and she barely eats anything I give her. Says no don’t like it. I’m struggling to get enough veg in her! It’s really stressing me out I’m worried she not eating enough nutrients. I try safe food which is always wraps made into a pizza but she can’t live off them. Tonight I gave her breaded chicken bites, broccoli and beans and a bit of ketchup in the hope she’d eat it. She proceeded to eat the ketchup with her fork, dip the chicken in the ketchup and lick it off and then spit the chicken out 😩🙃 any tips very welcome 😩😩😩

Is it normal for toddlers to go super fussy with food? My baby girl ate everything and anything I gave her when weaning / up till about 18 months, but she’s 2 next month and she barely eats anything I give her. Says no don’t like it. I’m struggling to get enough veg in her! It’s really stressing me out I’m worried she not eating enough nutrients. I try safe food which is always wraps made into a pizza but she can’t live off them. Tonight I gave her breaded chicken bites, broccoli and beans and a bit of ketchup in the hope she’d eat it. She proceeded to eat the ketchup with her fork, dip the chicken in the ketchup and lick it off and then spit the chicken out 😩🙃 any tips very welcome 😩😩😩
Mine have both gone through it and the advice was ride it out. If you’re worried about veg could you make a hidden veg tomato sauce?
I was lucky that both mine got super fussy but did cover all food groups. But I also introduced vitamins when they went through it to be sure.
It’s HARD! But I think really normal. I know more that have gone through it than haven’t xx

Ah yes we are also in the trenches with this except she will eat anything the nursery put in front of her 🙃

I just keep offering different things with a safe food (hers is pasta) and she will occasionally try things 😂

What age did everyone start toilet training? I've just started this week and she's 2.5 and I've had a few people say that's quite late....is it?!

Yes. All of my kids have gone through the fussy stage. Breakfast and lunch are normally ok, but dinners are the bane of my life. The 7 year old will eat cheese pasta, the 4 year old meatballs and the 2 year old will eat pasta. They don’t seem to be big on sauces. The 2 year old will not eat chips/nugs/sausages. They are all happy as pigs in tit with pasta
---
What age did everyone start toilet training? I've just started this week and she's 2.5 and I've had a few people say that's quite late....is it?!
2.5 is no where near old to be potty training? That’s madness that you’ve had that reaction! I don’t think we are anywhere near potty training. He’s going to be the one that breaks me

@Dak1988 my little boy is really fussy since a couple of weeks before Christmas it’s become a battle despite having a great appetite for a range of foods before. Soul destroying! I have no tips yet though just some support 😂😩

Age is totally irrelevant, to be honest. Some kids do it at 18 months, some at 4yo. Nobody is in bars still pissing themselves (until 3am and they’ve had waayyyyy too much 🤣)
They all get there, no matter the route you take.
Older people generally think we do it later as they did it much earlier in “the olden days”. All mine were 2y 2months or there about. My neighbours were all well over 3. And it makes no difference at all to them what age they were when it happened. Do it when you’re ready.
---
Sadly so normal. All of my older ones have been the same. My 8yo is still very limited in what he eats for dinner, in particular.
Just offer a variety of foods throughout the day. Nutrients and vitamins come in all sorts, we can get them in at breakfast, snacks, lunch, not just dinner. Make sure the snacks you give really pack a nutritional punch, and you won’t worry so much about dinner.

Ah yes we are also in the trenches with this except she will eat anything the nursery put in front of her 🙃

I just keep offering different things with a safe food (hers is pasta) and she will occasionally try things 😂

This is what I do with my 2 I always just put one piece of the thing they say they don’t like on their plate, they leave it there for months and months then eventually one day they just eat it 😂 still waiting for my 2yr old to eat a piece of broccoli though 🙈

I have a soon to be 3 year old (bloody hell, where has that time gone?)
I’m just trying to think about when he just turned 2, and what he was like…I can remember his behaviour changing and sleep changing but he’s literally a different kid. He’s started throwing his clothes on the floor when it’s time to get dressed, throw toys, say no ALOT, and just generally be hard work with things. He’s started waking up multiple times in the night, more than when he was a newborn. But it’s not everyday, some days he’s a dream and I love being with him but I’m a full time working mum so when some of my days off are spent dreading if he’s gonna be the devil child today is exhausting! When I went back to work after maternity leave, my colleagues would say ‘I come to work for a break’ I used to hate that, I didn’t have to work I’d be at home in a heartbeat everyday. But such is the modern world…
But those thoughts have started to creep in, like today I have work and I’m really looking forward to the drive in where I can listen to my music instead of wheels on the bus, I can have a hot coffee that hasn’t got some sort of Lego piece floating in it 🤣 I just hate that I feel like this sometimes because the boy is my absolute world, he’s my little IVF miracle and I feel awful saying these things but I wake up on my days off and dread how he’s going to be and how il manage him all day. It’s so exhausting!
I’d love a sibling for him, but IVF treatment is ridiculous and I can’t fund it right now, or ever tbh. So it looks likely he’ll be an only child.
I often think even if I did have another one, how would I cope with 2. A new born and my son being like this, I mean, hats off to those who do it, you’re all hero’s!!
It’s hardwork being a mum, a wife and working in a busy A&E department looking after people…

• Heart
I have a soon to be 3 year old (bloody hell, where has that time gone?)
I’m just trying to think about when he just turned 2, and what he was like…I can remember his behaviour changing and sleep changing but he’s literally a different kid. He’s started throwing his clothes on the floor when it’s time to get dressed, throw toys, say no ALOT, and just generally be hard work with things. He’s started waking up multiple times in the night, more than when he was a newborn. But it’s not everyday, some days he’s a dream and I love being with him but I’m a full time working mum so when some of my days off are spent dreading if he’s gonna be the devil child today is exhausting! When I went back to work after maternity leave, my colleagues would say ‘I come to work for a break’ I used to hate that, I didn’t have to work I’d be at home in a heartbeat everyday. But such is the modern world…
But those thoughts have started to creep in, like today I have work and I’m really looking forward to the drive in where I can listen to my music instead of wheels on the bus, I can have a hot coffee that hasn’t got some sort of Lego piece floating in it 🤣 I just hate that I feel like this sometimes because the boy is my absolute world, he’s my little IVF miracle and I feel awful saying these things but I wake up on my days off and dread how he’s going to be and how il manage him all day. It’s so exhausting!
I’d love a sibling for him, but IVF treatment is ridiculous and I can’t fund it right now, or ever tbh. So it looks likely he’ll be an only child.
I often think even if I did have another one, how would I cope with 2. A new born and my son being like this, I mean, hats off to those who do it, you’re all hero’s!!
It’s hardwork being a mum, a wife and working in a busy A&E department looking after people…
Sending love to you. Kids are hard work and it won’t be like this forever!

Don’t ever feel bad for feeling these things either - it’s a valid emotion. We are allowed to love our little ones unconditionally but find some moments (or days/weeks) tough!

Also, not sure if it’s just me but I personally find winter tough (not that I actually get SAD) with a little one. The early dark nights, the grey skies, the cold… but brighter days are upon us!

• Heart