Toddler Advice Thread #6 Christmas is coming, as are the illnesses

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do they like Bing? When my son had his there’s a good ep of Bing where he gets his jabs and I must of put it on a 1000 times before he got them and it really stuck in his brain and did help. With the calpol i give him a few spoonfuls of yoghurt then slip in a spoonful of calpol when he’s not noticing 😅
yes! She used to love Bing and still watches it on occasion so I will pop it on later before we leave!

is it best to distract by letting her watch my phone whilst it’s happening?! And bribing her with a treat after?! I have no idea what to do 😅

yes! She used to love Bing and still watches it on occasion so I will pop it on later before we leave!

is it best to distract by letting her watch my phone whilst it’s happening?! And bribing her with a treat after?! I have no idea what to do 😅
When I went there was 2 nurses and they were chatting away to him and they distracted him, one was going on about stickers which swayed my sons attention 😂 I also said he can pick whatever he wants from the Asda afterwards if he’s good and brave which he was so he managed to get a tow truck out of me!

I built my daughters jabs up in my head as she is very strong willed and a worrier. I find she responds better when she knows what to expect so we watched the bing episode and then described what would happen. The nhs website also says to do this and describe it as a sharp scratch. I’m not sure about every practice but we had two nurses who did them at the same time and it was over very quickly. She got a Princess sticker and a milkshake after. Her dad did take her because he is quite matter of fact so he didn’t feed into any prejab nerves.

Reactions: 1
I’m just waiting for an appt for preschool jabs. We are a little late getting them (3y 5m) so lots of mum guilt.
A little treat after her nasal flu spray worked well - we shared a muffin and stickers of course. All depends on how good the nurses are I think with dealing with little ones but as long as you act calm, they will be ok.

I’m just waiting for an appt for preschool jabs. We are a little late getting them (3y 5m) so lots of mum guilt.
A little treat after her nasal flu spray worked well - we shared a muffin and stickers of course. All depends on how good the nurses are I think with dealing with little ones but as long as you act calm, they will be ok.
I wouldn’t worry.. just turned 4 here and completely forgot I haven’t even booked them til I read that post 😳

ETA - mainly because I want my husband to take him!!!

They get them around 3 years 4 months. Honestly, do not beat yourself up about this, it’s only a month.
My 4 year old had his polio jab a month after his 3rd birthday, which meant he wasn’t allowed to have his preschool jab until a year later

• Heart
my little one is 3y 6m so we are late too! The madness of Christmas and moving house and illness got on top of us! Don’t feel guilty. Thanks for the advice ❤

I can honestly say none of my older three ever flinched at their preschool jabs. They really don’t seem to bother them at all. No 3 I didn’t even know the nurse had actually done it.
I think explaining what they are for (and that can involve books etc), and also just keeping it really casual “oh tomorrow we have to nip to the dr for you”. I also tell them it feels like a nip, and demonstrate if they want so they can see it isn’t a huge amount of pain.

my little one is 3y 6m so we are late too! The madness of Christmas and moving house and illness got on top of us! Don’t feel guilty. Thanks for the advice ❤
I’m blaming Christmas here too. It’s a mental month!

Do they like Bing? When my son had his there’s a good ep of Bing where he gets his jabs and I must of put it on a 1000 times before he got them and it really stuck in his brain and did help. With the calpol i give him a few spoonfuls of yoghurt then slip in a spoonful of calpol when he’s not noticing 😅
That's a good shout about Calpol. My son has decided he hates it and spits it out. If I can sneak it in with something he likes that might help 🤔

That's a good shout about Calpol. My son has decided he hates it and spits it out. If I can sneak it in with something he likes that might help 🤔
Yeah I just make sure he’s not paying attention and feeding himself so I give him his tablet and feed him then just sneak in the calpol after like 3 spoonfuls of yoghurt

We go on holiday in 11 days and someone on the preschool group chat has just said her kid has chicken pox. I’m this close to a mental breakdown 🥴

• Heart
We go on holiday in 11 days and someone on the preschool group chat has just said her kid has chicken pox. I’m this close to a mental breakdown 🥴
I had first aid training last week and the trainer said that roll on deodorant is good to put on chicken pox as apparently drys them out & helps with the itching

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Anyone had any experience with gungey eyes after finishing antibiotics (not related to said eyes)?

Toddler’s just had chicken pox and an ear infection and was on amoxicillin and since finishing his eyes have been gungey and he’s all snotty again 😩 he’s been pretty much indoors for almost a fortnight apart from little walks round the block for some fresh air.

His eyeballs don’t look pink as such and it’s mainly when he’s woken up from his nap or night sleep…

Thanks for listening x

I had first aid training last week and the trainer said that roll on deodorant is good to put on chicken pox as apparently drys them out & helps with the itching
That’s good to know, thank you! I’m praying we dodge it. Although it is annoying as would have been good to get it out of the way before school next year.

Completely personal preference, but I’d recommend the Chickenpox vaccine to anyone! We got it for our little one when she turned 1, £150 for two doses at a local Boots.

Apparently the NHS have recently been recommended by the JCVI that it goes onto the childhood vaccination programme, so it might eventually become a standard thing here like it is in many other countries.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Anyone had any experience with gungey eyes after finishing antibiotics (not related to said eyes)?

Toddler’s just had chicken pox and an ear infection and was on amoxicillin and since finishing his eyes have been gungey and he’s all snotty again 😩 he’s been pretty much indoors for almost a fortnight apart from little walks round the block for some fresh air.

His eyeballs don’t look pink as such and it’s mainly when he’s woken up from his nap or night sleep…

Thanks for listening x
Yup we've been battling this too. Bacterial conjunctivitis we got told and she passed it to me 🙃 pharmacy gave me drops and cleared up within 3 days

• Sad
My daughter turned 4 last month and has turned into the devil. I miss my sweet girl. I’ve turned into the shouty mum I never wanted to be 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 5
My daughter turned 4 last month and has turned into the devil. I miss my sweet girl. I’ve turned into the shouty mum I never wanted to be 😔
Someone said to me not long ago (that has 3 kids, one of which is a teenage!!!!!) she remembers 4 being a really really hard age.
My 4 year old is being harder at the moment too. I don’t remember it so much with my first but he went to school at 4 + 1 week and so maybe I escaped it/put it down to school! X

• Heart
My 4yo old told me he does like me anymore because I made him put his coat on this morning, so it’s all fun and games here

Although I would much rather 20 4 year olds than this 2 year old that’s driving me to the brink 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 3