Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get my 3yo to stop being an utter nightmare when I'm trying to cook?

I give her time warnings ("in ten minutes mummy is going to start cooking") so that me playing with her doesn't end abruptly etc but every day she just nags the whole time I'm trying to cook to play with her, she cries and gets upset that I won't. She seems to sometimes accept it for like 1 minute and then literally the next minute is saying "please come and do Duplo/trains/read" and gets upset when I again have to say no.
Occasionally I manage to get her colouring by herself but she only lasts a few minutes, or I manage to get her playing something like Simon Says or dancing to music. But mostly it's just torture.

Add to that a bonkers 6 month old who is trying to climb everything and is generally a danger to himself every single moment and I just hate the hour or so before dinner, I actually get anxious when it's almost time to start cooking because I know it's going to be awful.

Sorry for the ramble, any help is much appreciated!
No idea I’d also like to know this! I literally can’t be in the kitchen it results in instant whinging or requests for snacks at any time of the day

Reactions: 4
Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get my 3yo to stop being an utter nightmare when I'm trying to cook?

I give her time warnings ("in ten minutes mummy is going to start cooking") so that me playing with her doesn't end abruptly etc but every day she just nags the whole time I'm trying to cook to play with her, she cries and gets upset that I won't. She seems to sometimes accept it for like 1 minute and then literally the next minute is saying "please come and do Duplo/trains/read" and gets upset when I again have to say no.
Occasionally I manage to get her colouring by herself but she only lasts a few minutes, or I manage to get her playing something like Simon Says or dancing to music. But mostly it's just torture.

Add to that a bonkers 6 month old who is trying to climb everything and is generally a danger to himself every single moment and I just hate the hour or so before dinner, I actually get anxious when it's almost time to start cooking because I know it's going to be awful.

I get my son involved with the cooking as much as possible. He loves chopping (with a safe knife) and mixing and his new trick is cracking eggs (lots of egg shell in our omelettes these days 🙈).
It also means he’s much more likely to eat what I’ve cooked, or at least try it anyway.

Reactions: 5
I get my son involved with the cooking as much as possible. He loves chopping (with a safe knife) and mixing and his new trick is cracking eggs (lots of egg shell in our omelettes these days 🙈).
It also means he’s much more likely to eat what I’ve cooked, or at least try it anyway.
Ah I should have mentioned, sometimes this works but more often than not she just swings off her kitchen tower thing and keeps trying to grab things out of the cupboards 🙃
I don't know if it's just the time of day but it's honestly like she turns into a devil child and there's no getting through to her!

Sometimes I can buy myself a few minutes with some snacks but again, not often and it doesn't last.

Reactions: 3
Ah I should have mentioned, sometimes this works but more often than not she just swings off her kitchen tower thing and keeps trying to grab things out of the cupboards 🙃
I don't know if it's just the time of day but it's honestly like she turns into a devil child and there's no getting through to her!

Sometimes I can buy myself a few minutes with some snacks but again, not often and it doesn't last.
How about her own cooking station that isn’t actually cooking if she isn’t always focused on that? Like a messy play set up in your kitchen - oats, lentils etc, bowls and spoons? Absolute mess, but sometimes it’s worth the mess to get dinner done!

Reactions: 3
How’s things with your daughters dad this week?
Back to normal. He said he feels awful over what happened (even though it took him to Monday and nursery questioning it to make him realise how bad it was)… I said everyone is tired with kids! Just cos you’re tired doesn’t mean you take your eye off the ball and your child burns her wrist. I’m sure the majority of us have looked after our babies with 2 hours sleep before but she has never injured herself like that!! Thanks for asking xx

I have this issue with mini A, she wants to help ALL the time even when I’m making something simple as toast. I sit her back against the wall on the counter (it’s quite wide) and I give her a plate and her own knife from her cutlery set and she pretends to help. I feel your pain but I try and get her involved, helping me stir or pour things into the pan. Even if I’m making pasta she insists of putting the pasta into the pan before I do the water 😂 it is frustrating though when you just want to get on!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
@WhatABore how are you both?xxx
We're doing okay thank you.
I feel a bit better today.
For now 😂

She's still sleeping so I'm hoping it's her trying to catch up and not her getting worse.

We've had 3 lots of student doctors come around and ask if they can listen to her back.
I've had to decline. I feel bad declining as theyve all got to learn somewhere but I just don't want to wake her for unnecessary things when she's already been poked and prodded enough.
We had one lot come in yesterday and ask too and she got so worked up about it and wouldn't let them.
She's so worried they'll hurt her.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
For now 😂

She's still sleeping so I'm hoping it's her trying to catch up and not her getting worse.

We've had 3 lots of student doctors come around and ask if they can listen to her back.
I've had to decline. I feel bad declining as theyve all got to learn somewhere but I just don't want to wake her for unnecessary things when she's already been poked and prodded enough.
We had one lot come in yesterday and ask too and she got so worked up about it and wouldn't let them.
You’re doing great and you have every right to decline don’t feel bad. You are looking out for your daughters best interests ❤
Unfortunately they will have other opportunities to learn and perhaps their supervisors should instead tell them that they should always listen to a parent if they say something is not right with their children! (A doctor actually said that to a student doctor when they came and looked at my son, to which I was so grateful for her emphasising)

Reactions: 6
You’re doing great and you have every right to decline don’t feel bad. You are looking out for your daughters best interests ❤
Unfortunately they will have other opportunities to learn and perhaps their supervisors should instead tell them that they should always listen to a parent if they say something is not right with their children! (A doctor actually said that to a student doctor when they came and looked at my son, to which I was so grateful for her emphasising)
It probanly sounds harsh but when she gets upset and says no, with them not actually needing to see her, they leave.
So i also dont want her to think she can get upset and say no to the ones she actually needs and then theyll just go away.
Feel like it'll make the rest more difficult!
Probably sounds harsh 😂

Reactions: 4
For now 😂

Omg 3 lots is excessive as well. I would have refused too. Im not surprised she got worked up either. Being in hospital isn’t nice especially when you’re little.
Is she any better ?

Reactions: 2
Omg 3 lots is excessive as well. I would have refused too. Im not surprised she got worked up either. Being in hospital isn’t nice especially when you’re little.
Is she any better ?
She was sitting up playing yesterday.
She's had 48 hours of the antibiotics and they don't think they're working much. So we're onto another 48 hours worth through iv drip before they'll consider orally.
But she went to sleep at 3.30pm yesterday and she hasn't really woken up. She woke up for a wee once. And straight back to sleep and then woke up a few times when she was in pain from coughing but apart from that, she's almost slept 24 hours straight. They think she just did too much yesterday and it's knocked her out a bit.

• Heart
  • Sad
After the 4yo slept for almost 24 hours yesterday, she was happy sitting yo and playing, I even had to tell her to calm down at one point because she was laughing so loud.
And then overnight just feels like we're back to square one.
She's difficult to wake, temp back up to 40 and heart rate back up in the 160s 😩

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
After the 4yo slept for almost 24 hours yesterday, she was happy sitting yo and playing, I even had to tell her to calm down at one point because she was laughing so loud.
She's difficult to wake, temp back up to 40 and heart rate back up in the 160s 😩
aw the poor thing. Is it just a wait and see with antibiotics now? How are you doing?

My little one does that when she’s ill. It’s like she feels better gets excited and overdoes it so takes a turn again. Hopefully it’s a good sign she is getting better ❤

aw the poor thing. Is it just a wait and see with antibiotics now? How are you doing?
Yeah. It seems to be.
Was supposed to be changing her to just oral antibiotics but the iv ones aren't working quick enough so she's still on them for another 48 hours at least, every 8 hours.

I video called home yesterday and I feel a bit better for it after having the nurse in here with me giving me hugs and sneaking me decent tea bags to cheer me up 😂

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Yeah. It seems to be.
Was supposed to be changing her to just oral antibiotics but the iv ones aren't working quick enough so she's still on them for another 48 hours at least, every 8 hours.

I video called home yesterday and I feel a bit better for it after having the nurse in here with me giving me hugs and sneaking me decent tea bags to cheer me up 😂
Ohhhh bless you both 😭 sending love and hope you’re out of there and back home soon xx

Please can someone send me a picture of the grow clock in the dark and how bright it is?

Mini A was up at 5:30am again this morning. It’s been ALL week cos of her night light being bright. It’s not majorly bright. Anyway. I put a sock over it at 5:30am so it’s was abit dimmer and she just refused to go to sleep so I put her in my bed and told her no tv and to close her eyes and she’s still asleep now. We are both so tired from being up at the crack of dawn every morning either cos of the light waking her up and she’s associating it with daytime or she’s been scared cos of the dark. I’ve never had issues with her waking up continuously like this before but if the sock (second image) doesn’t work I’m getting a grow clock.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Ohhhh bless you both 😭 sending love and hope you’re out of there and back home soon xx

Please can someone send me a picture of the grow clock in the dark and how bright it is?

Mini A was up at 5:30am again this morning. It’s been ALL week cos of her night light being bright. It’s not majorly bright. Anyway. I put a sock over it at 5:30am so it’s was abit dimmer and she just refused to go to sleep so I put her in my bed and told her no tv and to close her eyes and she’s still asleep now. We are both so tired from being up at the crack of dawn every morning either cos of the light waking her up and she’s associating it with daytime or she’s been scared cos of the dark. I’ve never had issues with her waking up continuously like this before but if the sock (second image) doesn’t work I’m getting a grow clock.
This is in my sons room right now on the lowest brightness we had to turn it right down for the same reason (it’s 9.30pm here 😉)

Attachments

We have both lights.
My 1yo has the same night light as that and my 4yo has the gro clock.
Gro clock is definitley a lot dimmer.

Only tuning with the Gro clock that doesn't make sense to me is that I thought blue light was supposed to disturb sleep. So why did they make it blue 😂 not that we've ever had any issues though 😂

Thanks both. I’ll try the sock on the night light tonight and then order a gro clock failing that. It’s only a little blue light which is fine! The price of them though… I’ll be getting one off eBay or vinted 😂 🫣

Thanks both. I’ll try the sock on the night light tonight and then order a gro clock failing that. It’s only a little blue light which is fine! The price of them though… I’ll be getting one off eBay or vinted 😂 🫣
They are on offer in curry's for £25 at the minute and most places at the minute they're £30.

Not cheap but better than full price 😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.