Titanic tourism Titan submersible incident #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Shite, just a bargain basement C5 cobble together of old footage, stretched out with Dan Walker giving amazing insights like “it was unbelievable” and Vanessa Feltz going “can you imagine?”.
I think we should have put mention of Vanessa Feltz in a spoiler tag 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Shame they only had 10 minutes at the end of the programme explaining why and how the tradegy happened it needed more time to explain what has happened to oceangate since and if anybody is ever going to be held accountable
The responsibility falls on Stockton Rush and his arrogance. Whoever made the documentary knows bugger all about what happened and why, that's why the part we all tuned in for was only a few minutes at the end. Definitely didn't need to be two episodes long.

They definitely should have focussed more on the polar prince not raising the alarm quick enough, that there seemed to be no back up plan for when communications went down, the multiple warnings Stockton had about the design of his subs and all round shadiness of his company.

The documentary was pretty rudimentary,they focused a lot on the banging noises the US Navy detected,but we already knew that theory had been debunked.The fact that a 19 year old boy died on that sub stll makes me sadder than anything else.All the other guys on board were at least in their fifties.He was basically still a kid.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
The documentary was pretty rudimentary,they focused a lot on the banging noises the US Navy detected,but we already knew that theory had been debunked.The fact that a 19 year old boy died on that sub stll makes me sadder than anything else.All the other guys on board were at least in their fifties.He was basically still a kid.
Me too, not had a chance to live his life yet 😞

Reactions: 2
It was really sad seeing their names appear against the clouds at the end, particularly Suleman's.

One of the potential contributing factors could have been the mode of transportation of the Titan. Pre-pandemic, it was housed on the mother ship The Arctic Horizon, however post-pandemic Stockton claimed the prices for this ship had shot up and therefore hired the Polar Prince instead as it was cheaper. However, the Polar Prince cannot accommodate the Titan and its platform on the deck, so they had to be towed behind the ship like a broken down car, being subjected to the rough waves of the Atlantic. The force of the waves repeatedly crashing over it may have compromised the structure of the sub.

The platform was known to have upended at least twice during transportation to the site.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
This was from July 2021 Mission II when they had the Horizon Arctic transporting the Titan, wow the difference in the facilities on the ship! If you don't understand Spanish you will need the subtitles on. He was there at the same time as another Mexican who had saved all her life to go the Titanic and was featured on the BBC documentary 'Take Me to Titanic'.

Mi expedición al TITANIC parte 1/4 | Alan por el mundo (youtube.com)
This is fascinating to see the difference. Found it interesting they said about gently lowering the platform as if they did it too quick it could damage the sub. fast forward two years later and they’ve got that thing being towed behind the ship being bashed by waves and all sorts. Can only imagine that must have contributed to its failure somehow.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I definitely think that contributed to the sub failing a lot quicker. Looking at the number of Missions, it would appear that the Titan made around 5 successful dives down to 3,800m/the Titanic out of a total of 15 missions, all of these being in 2021 or 2022. 2023 they started using Polar Prince and towing the Titan behind the ship, and none of those were successful due to the weather conditions and/or issues with the sub.

2021 Mission I they got down to 1,700m (c.45% of the way there) before having to resurface due to an electrical issue.

I think Stockton was potentially onto something with the design, however it needed way more refinement to confirm it's suitability for that depth, plus ongoing testing and scanning of the vessel. Ploughing on ahead knowing the issues and allowing everyday people to go on it when it was still very much in development was very negligent and short sighted.

Reactions: 9
That engineer guy who said it was unsafe got fired, but you need lots of safety to prevent crazy inventors getting complacent.

Reactions: 5
I think Stockton was potentially onto something with the design, however it needed way more refinement to confirm it's suitability for that depth, plus ongoing testing and scanning of the vessel.
Not while he was using carbon fiber as the main material for the vessel. As a material carbon fiber is criminally unsuited for this purpose. He thought he knew better and killed 3 people plus himself.

Reactions: 9
If anyone’s interested there is a lady on insta with the name Chelsea Kellogg who went on a successful mission and has footage on her page. Her insta blew up after the incident 😂

Reactions: 6
If anyone’s interested there is a lady on insta with the name Chelsea Kellogg who went on a successful mission and has footage on her page. Her insta blew up after the incident 😂

Thank you for this, just had a look at her footage. I wish she had more blurb as I have so many questions.

Reactions: 2