Titanic tourism Titan submersible incident #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Previous thread: https://tattle.life/threads/titanic-tourism-submersible-missing-2.39936/

News came on Thursday evening that sadly a 'debris field' had been found on the seabed during the search for the Titan submersible, missing since Sunday. The debris field is being mapped by a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) launched from the Canadian Vessel Horizon Arctic. We wait to discover if any debris can be salvaged, and whether that can include any remains.

106CC157-1BED-4575-8849-45884532BF19.jpeg

Rest In Peace - left to right
Hamish Harding 💙
Stockton Rush 💙
Suleman Dawood 💙and his father Shahzada Dawood 💙
Paul-Henri Nargeolet 💙

35FEADEE-4AD1-47AF-A9EC-FDF93E4D02E7.jpeg

Questions now arise about the practices of Stockton Rush who made false statements about the safety of Titan, and the Ocean Gate company as a whole who ignored warnings that the carbon fibre build of Titan wasn’t suitable.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
A couple of thoughts re the 19 year old (mostly speculation).
1. I know it was father’s day, but why celebrate with the son on this expedition and not include the daughter in said father’s day stuff?
2. The guy is supposed to be a multi millionaire so his son wanting to pull out of his £200k slot should be no skin off his nose really. Let the son off and accept the £200k has gone regardless. The son may have actually really wanted to go. Articles disputing this are crass at the very least. No one will ever know.

RIP to those lost. Prayers to the family and loved ones x

Reactions: 13
If the lad had been doing naval architecture rather than business at Strathclyde he’d have probably decided the trip was a hard no.

Reactions: 6
A couple of thoughts re the 19 year old (mostly speculation).
1. I know it was father’s day, but why celebrate with the son on this expedition and not include the daughter in said father’s day stuff?
2. The guy is supposed to be a multi millionaire so his son wanting to pull out of his £200k slot should be no skin off his nose really. Let the son off and accept the £200k has gone regardless. The son may have actually really wanted to go. Articles disputing this are crass at the very least. No one will ever know.

RIP to those lost. Prayers to the family and loved ones x
It doesn't really help anyone does it, regardless of whether it is the case.

All it will do is allow his family to torture themselves with what ifs which serves no purpose right now.

I know people have said they have pulled out before and Stockton Rush has pretty much said OK, we'll just figure something out. So if the kid really really didn't want to go, I don't think he would be forced.

Reactions: 11
One thing that struck me of it being a recovery rather than rescue mission is the Royal Navy ship they touted as having several special decompression chambers never left the waters around Newfoundland - it really wasn't ready and on hand.

Reactions: 5
One thing that struck me of it being a recovery rather than rescue mission is the Royal Navy ship they touted as having several special decompression chambers never left the waters around Newfoundland - it really wasn't ready and on hand.
I believe decompression chambers wouldn’t have been needed anyway because the sub was pressurised (until it wasn’t!)

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I believe decompression chambers wouldn’t have been needed anyway because the sub was pressurised (until it wasn’t!)
Exactly that point also, it just wasn't on hand for any eventuality because they knew it had blown and not floating on surface etc :(

Reactions: 3
That is correct. Possibly there for professional divers. Saturation divers can go to about 300m at the very most.

For info, when the large diving companies are asked for assistance in emergencies it’s usually provided F.O.C. if they have suitable vessels in the area.

Reactions: 2

All it will do is allow his family to torture themselves with what ifs which serves no purpose right now.

I know people have said they have pulled out before and Stockton Rush has pretty much said OK, we'll just figure something out. So if the kid really really didn't want to go, I don't think he would be forced.
You don’t have to be forced, that doesn’t mean he wasn’t scared/anxious and didn’t want to be there, it‘s about pleasing someone he clearly loved and actually it shows how far some will go to please others, even putting their life at risk. If it’s true, how do you/we know the aunt didn’t get that information from his mother, or sister and they wanted people to know their son/brother also had concerns about how dangerous the submarine was and wanted the world to know. Personally I think it’s a very important lesson many could learn from and could potentially save lives. If it’s not true and the family are hurt by these untruths, they or someone connected to them will no doubt set the record straight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
I read the waiver online and I can't fathom how anyone could read that and still go ahead with the dive.

Reactions: 26

I mean, we've seen Rush's texts where he was offering cut price tickets in order to fill the sub, and in which he calls safety concerns of clients "stupid". So he might not have forced them but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he would have put pressure on them, especially because they're right there, ready for the dive. I can't see the purpose in the anger/upset at the aunt, when there's so many other people to be angry with. And yeah, that does include the dad because without him Suleman would never have been there. I can't imagine wanting to take a loved one with me on such a dangerous journey, I can't imagine standing by while your 19 year old son signs that waiver, I'd do anything in my power to stop them in fact. Even if I was willing to do it myself. It's what we're all thinking let's face it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
Just on the note of the Dawoods…

with anything not so well known from a country whose languages I don’t speak it’s hard to feel certain about this, but the impression I get is that they were big-time philanthropists. They had a trust called the Dawood Foundation and were board members on other charities. IK there’s the thing about you can’t really be an ethical billionaire. But, he was really involved in philanthropy around science and education. They donated loads to various schools and colleges, and had a focus on women’s education which is quite a big deal in Pakistan. He spent loads on disaster relief and healthcare charity. *some* places say his net worth was only $100-300 million which is obviously still rich but it’s not billionaire-rich.

Anyway, this is starting to get heavy speculative but allegedly Shahzada’s friend stated that he was a “deeply trusting” man. I can kind of see how, if you were trusting to the point of a fault; if you were a big time donator towards science education; went on OceanGate’s website and saw their claim that NASA, the University of Washington and Boeing worked on Titan; and maybe even if you heard Rush paint it as a pursuit of scientific innovation that’s faced a load of obstacles, and which puts the ingenuity of the young first…you would make the mistake of getting on it. IDK. 🙁

Was it irresponsible to get on it? Yeah, but the reality is, someone always was going to. It shouldn’t have been allowed to happen

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 44
I was thinking, too, that Stockton would have probably be using James Cameron's deeply reassuring pitches (the fact that there hasn't been a fatal sub accident in decades etc), basically hijacking the industry's good name to punt his vessel. I can imagine having misgivings when you actually saw and did whatever practice you did in the thing, but by that time it might seem too late to back out. Sometimes it's easier, when you're on the top diving platform, just to dive, rather than to have to face everyone on your way back down when you change your mind.

Reactions: 13
If anyone’s on tiktok have a look at its_yagirl_stephii she has a video from inside the sub but with a different crew 😬😬

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I also feel that because of the price tag there was an element of trust it was legit because of the sheer cost. Like when I go to a fayre on a field, the rides that are £5 a go I'm sceptical on but put the same ride in Chestingon World of Adventures and I've paid £50 I'd automatically assume its more trustworthy.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
With the son I keep thinking he couldn't have been that scared surely? If you really were terrified you'd freak out the minute they shut the door? He must have been calm enough to go ahead. I'm claustrophobic and when I had my first mri they put me in head first and said press the buzzer if any issues and I pressed it the minute I was in there and they got me straight out. I kind of feel like unless you were totally into it you'd never make it to the launch?

Reactions: 3
With the son I keep thinking he couldn't have been that scared surely? If you really were terrified you'd freak out the minute they shut the door? He must have been calm enough to go ahead. I'm claustrophobic and when I had my first mri they put me in head first and said press the buzzer if any issues and I pressed it the minute I was in there and they got me straight out. I kind of feel like unless you were totally into it you'd never make it to the launch?
Not necessarily. I've never been in a plane before and whilst I'm not afraid of flying, I'd still be pretty nervous on my first flight. He was probably bricking it but he was with his father, a person he could trust not to put him in danger, so that would have allayed some fear.

• Sad
Reactions: 20
I'm guessing OceanGate staff and the Titan passengers were the only ones around so he might have tried to resist or back out at the last minute but we won't know.

I think nerves are normal before something like this so I'm not sure it's worth reading into it as an indication that any of the passengers knew something would go wrong. I'm sure he went along with it trying to discreetly calm himself down. He most likely seemed fine, just a little apprehensive.

Anything can look like a warning sign in hindsight.

(Unless, like me, you're of the belief that some people are so in tune with their spirit that they have a genuine but unexplainable sense of doom just before something bad happens. Saying that though, from what we know, I still think it was just regular nerves.)

Reactions: 5