Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

swipeup

VIP Member
I think rvk_loves is another one that doesn't declare ADs. I'm pretty sure she's previously been reported to ASA so you'd think she'd know better.
She's away again this weekend and I bet she's not paying for that house they're staying in the way she's tagging them constantly Surely that should be declared as #gifted just like anything else you get for free. She's also guilty of hiding her affiliate links hashtag behind profile pic.

Reactions: 1
N

NellieOleson

She has been ticked off by ASA more than once. She gets round it now by marking things as #presstrip of #pressstay instead of AD on one or two pictures instead of making it clear the whole trip is a freebie. I used to find her tweeness charming but now she just gets on my nerves with her shady ways.

Firecrotch69

that’s exactly right,

I mean we’ve all seen those ‘taste’ test things where the plebs don’t know which is the more expensive item. But if you ask someone they’ll always say they prefer ‘branded’.
When something costs more we associate it with having a higher value, better quality, more sought after.

It’s all bollocks. Like diamonds - they have their price falsely inflated and then rick folk buy it at that price jsut to show they have the money to waste on it!

And it plays well for whoever is selling it - from teabags, to diamonds, to t-shirts that you didn’t even design yourself!

It’d be clever if it weren’t so dumb.

N

NellieOleson

Oh I don't know them. I couldn't find them on Instagram or are they vloggers only? They sound like they have.....eclectic interests.

Edunford

Just reported mother_ofall_adventures AGAIN. she never puts #ad or #gifted!!! That sleepyhead was gifted and she’s not mentioned it once! Grrrrr

Bogglers

It wasn’t surprising that the winner was another interiors blogger, I don’t think she’d let any lowly instagrammer have a tour of her home but then again most of it is online anyway.

alicejt

As you wish @Sparklefluff... mine are this price point as they are organic, earth positive and printed by another small businesses using non-toxic inks. I’m not sure you’d get the same for a fiver from China.

Sweettutu

Chatty Member
The ASA aren’t very helpful, IME. I reported Luisa zissman for an ambiguous post about personalised satin PJs “i love these amazing PJs” etc. Wasn’t tagged as a gift or an ad. ASA followed up and said:

Our remit
In order for such Instagram post to be considered advertising for the purposes of the rules that we apply, the following two tests must be met: 1) payment by the brand must be made to the blogger/vlogger/influencer AND 2) the brand must hold editorial control over what the blogger includes in the post.

Our guidance on this matter
Our current position on this issue is that where a brand sends a blogger items for free without any control of the content (or any conditions attached) and the blogger may or may not choose to include the item(s) in a blog, this sort of PR activity is not covered by the CAP Code; because there is no control, the post would not need to be labelled as an advertorial. Likewise, if a blogger accepts an item sent by a brand on the simple condition that it is reviewed (positively or negatively), without the brand exercising any control over the review, that blog is unlikely to be covered by the CAP Code.

In this case, we have received confirmation from the blogger that the brand did not hold editorial control over the post your complaint referred to. As we understand that the conditions mentioned above were not met, the post would fall out of our remit and we won’t be taking any further action. We have however explained our requirements regarding ad labelling to Luisa Zissman, for future reference.”

So gifts don’t have to be labelled! ?????

N

NellieOleson

I don't even ask as I know what the answer is and know that most of them are quick with the block button. If they carry on doing blatant adverts and should know better I am happy to report to ASA and let them deal with it. If ASA are made aware of all the issues then my thinking is that they will act eventually to address the systemic problems in this industry. If they only have a one sided view from influencers and brands (and not consumers) they won't do anything.

I see Lisa Dawson (so transparent she wrote a blog post explaining how transparent she is) has a new (spon) chandelier to go with her (spon) TV and new (spon) rug in her room painted with (spon) Valspar paint and is awaiting her new (spon) print to hang above her super (spon) table. None of it disclosed of course.

N

NellieOleson

The ASA aren’t very helpful, IME. I reported Luisa zissman for an ambiguous post about personalised satin PJs “i love these amazing PJs” etc. Wasn’t tagged as a gift or an ad. ASA followed up and said:

Our remit
In order for such Instagram post to be considered advertising for the purposes of the rules that we apply, the following two tests must be met: 1) payment by the brand must be made to the blogger/vlogger/influencer AND 2) the brand must hold editorial control over what the blogger includes in the post.

Our guidance on this matter
Our current position on this issue is that where a brand sends a blogger items for free without any control of the content (or any conditions attached) and the blogger may or may not choose to include the item(s) in a blog, this sort of PR activity is not covered by the CAP Code; because there is no control, the post would not need to be labelled as an advertorial. Likewise, if a blogger accepts an item sent by a brand on the simple condition that it is reviewed (positively or negatively), without the brand exercising any control over the review, that blog is unlikely to be covered by the CAP Code.

In this case, we have received confirmation from the blogger that the brand did not hold editorial control over the post your complaint referred to. As we understand that the conditions mentioned above were not met, the post would fall out of our remit and we won’t be taking any further action. We have however explained our requirements regarding ad labelling to Luisa Zissman, for future reference.”

So gifts don’t have to be labelled! ?????
I don't bother to report gifts because I know ASA won't currently take action on them (as they don't enforce the CMA general rules only things that fall within the ASA definitions of an ad). Affiliate links they will deal with and undisclosed paid partnerships and also if the AD or AFF is concealed like that RVK one - they have clear rules around ads being obvious - see through writing doesn't cut it.

But the wording they use seems to be a small step forward "Our current position on this issue" and "We have however explained our requirements regarding ad labelling to Luisa Zissman, for future reference.", it suggests they are reviewing their position (probably because they have had so many similar complaints) and also that they are explaining the CMA rules as well to them. I can hope, anyway.

letitallout

Does Kerry Whelpdale have her own thread? Just watched her cleaning video from 3 weeks ago (8 minutes of my life I’ll never get back!) and it’s a blatant Dyson ad!! Can’t even see ‘ad’ hidden anywhere, it’s just not declared at all. She basically parrots the pr waffle throughout the video and says the dyson was gifted. No way it doesn’t need ‘ad’
I do like Kerry but she’s bad when it comes to declaring ads, usually hidden away in the middle of the video title and often not mentioned in the video that it’s an ad or even that she’s working with a brand.

MrBull

VIP Member
Does Kerry Whelpdale have her own thread? Just watched her cleaning video from 3 weeks ago (8 minutes of my life I’ll never get back!) and it’s a blatant Dyson ad!! Can’t even see ‘ad’ hidden anywhere, it’s just not declared at all. She basically parrots the pr waffle throughout the video and says the dyson was gifted. No way it doesn’t need ‘ad’
She had about eleventy billion stories of Matalan products yesterday all on the pretence she was just showing us what they’ve got instore and not one was marked with ad, that I saw at least. I couldn’t watch them all. Blatant advertising. AS IF she would even wear Matalan clothes anyway 🙄

WiKi

Alice Judge-Talbot has just posted on insta ranting about paperchase ripping off small brands!! But she has no problem with her own small brand ripping off other people’s work with her T-shirts!

Ellabella

VIP Member
I really like Alice, she seems kind and lovely. However, she regularly spends £££ on clothes (like £200 dresses and £250 jeans), completely oblivious to the fact this is unobtainable to 99% of population. I suppose when you live in your parents house you don't have a mortgage to worry about!

Sparklefluff

Do we know who it is on here? Don’t recognise the mn username. Not that I’m annoyed or anything, just wondered what the score is.
No idea. According to MN the account who messaged people was a spammer? Obviously it wasn’t...

Everly

Haven’t read the book (intrigued but I think it would enrage me) but apparently it had to be rewritten at the last minute because her (then) boyfriend ended things but then they were back together and engaged within a few weeks of it being published. She’s one of those who seem really self deprecating but it just doesn’t ring true and I think she’s actually got a massive ego
How awkward! Now I want to read it and see what the ending says but refuse to buy it. Wonder if she gave him an ultimatum regarding marriage. I agree about the ego, she seems to think she’s the first person ever to get a divorce and have kids in her 20s.

MrBull

VIP Member
Odd. They sent the message to an old username of mine though, one I haven’t used in ages. So must have trawled through one of the earlier instamum threads to get names.

I see there’s been more CC drama again lately so wonder if it’s in any way linked. There was definitely some deliberate derailing from inside the CC camp on the ethics and advertising threads I think. Trying to use those mn threads to generate publicity and attention. Maybe they’re moving over here instead!

swipeup

VIP Member
The House Build on Instagram - lovely home and interiors account but within the last year the affiliate links have shot up. Several a day often with a teeny #af in white in a pale background. I’d have to win the lottery for spending on those links but must appeal to a wealthy demographic!
She's on a roll just now with the outfit posting and affiliate links. Every single day several items of clothing, all the skincare yesterday, every single item affiliate linked. Kitchen stuff, makeup, skincare, clothes.....swipe up, swipe up, swipe up...........it's endless.

swipeup

VIP Member
It was mentioned over on the Mrs Hinch thread that she put up a post saying that from now on all her affiliate links would be marked as #ad which I think is technically required to meet ASA rules. I wonder if others will follow. I think a lot of them would back off from so many affiliate links if they knew they had to be marked as #ad every single time.