Things your parents did/do that you hate

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My mum is such a control freak! When I was growing up she never let me or my brother cook and if we cleaned it wasn’t to her standards so she’d have to take over and do it herself. Im a shy person and she always had to announce it when we met someone new. Even when I bought my first house in my 20s she told both neighbours Im shy. Im not rude I say hello and im capable of making small talk about the weather etc so I don’t think she needed to say anything. I don’t think she meant to belittle me but it still hurts.

Feels good to get it off my chest so I thought I’d share!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
Mine used to both smoke in the car even though I suffered with really bad travel sickness (still do). Long distance journeys were a nightmare.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
My dad called me fat (100% was never fat as a kid),said i had no mates,said i had no qualifications ,called me useless throughout my childhood,said my boyfriend didnt love me .It was all lies apart from the last one which may have been true

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
My dad called me fat (100% was never fat as a kid),said i had no mates,said i had no qualifications ,called me useless throughout my childhood,said my boyfriend didnt love me .It was all lies apart from the last one which may have been true
thast horrible. You just reminded me I have a big complex about my nose because my dad always took the piss out of it. There’s just no need!

• Sad
Reactions: 21
My dad was a horrible person who didn’t care at all. His ex asked him if he loved his dog more than me and he said he did because the dog had “been there for him”.

He also used to buy his ex’s kids Christmas presents like laptops, but he’d buy me a £1 deodorant set… or he would take his ex’s kids to school, go to school plays and parents evenings, but he never did any of those things for me.

Oh and then he cut me off when I was 18, good riddance 👋

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
My mum was (still is) passive aggressive about household chores. She's always complaining about how much she hates ironing, washing, loading dishwasher, cooking, but never asked for help or gave anyone chores to do. If you took initiative and did something to help out she'd make such a big deal of it "you don't have to do that, let me do it!" that you'd feel bad about helping but feel bad that she does it all herself. I ended up cleaning around the house in secret just so I didn't feel lazy and didn't get told of for helping 😂

Reactions: 10
I know ive already posted about some of the things my dad said to me that i hate but some of the things hes done would include have affair after affair after affair from the moment he met my mother in the 80’s up until about 5 years ago when they finally split .When i was between 7 and 11 he had an affair with a woman who cleaned for him at his work and had a 7 year old daughter at the time .When he finished work instead of coming home to me my siblings and our pregnant mother he would go to her house and have dinner with her snd her child then come home to my mother at 11-12oclock at night .I could go on and on really.
As for my mother its more a case of what she didnt do

thast horrible. You just reminded me I have a big complex about my nose because my dad always took the piss out of it. There’s just no need!
I really dont understand how a parent cant want to do everything in their power to give their child the highest self esteem and level of self worth possible.
When i was 19 i had an eating disorder (unsurprisingly) and i remember one day he said to me surprised ,oh youre quite pretty arent you

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Drink too much.

Neither were alcoholics but they definitely had/have issues with alcohol.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
My parents never give a straight answer. They um and ah about everything.

Well, they do with me but not my sister.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Drink too much.

this is why I don’t drink as an adult. It is not fun being a kid (age 9) who is abroad with 1 parent and said parent is so drunk that they can’t talk and is throwing up. I get really pissed with parents who drink around their kids now.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
this is why I don’t drink as an adult. It is not fun being a kid (age 9) who is abroad with 1 parent and said parent is so drunk that they can’t talk and is throwing up. I get really pissed with parents who drink around their kids now.
Same as me. My mum used to be drunk most nights after I got home from school and she ended up in hospital one night after getting drunk and taking an overdose… I can’t stand parents that get wasted around their kids now. There’s nothing worse as a child than being with a parent you don’t feel safe with!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Same as me. My mum used to be drunk most nights after I got home from school and she ended up in hospital one night after getting drunk and taking an overdose… I can’t stand parents that get wasted around their kids now. There’s nothing worse as a child than being with a parent you don’t feel safe with!
I totally agree.

I don't have kids but if/when I do I won't drink around them unless it is a special occasion.

I remember too many times where I wanted a lift somewhere but couldn't because they were drunk. Drunken rows between them. Can't make plans with friends for certain days as that's their day off together so it's spent drinking. Hangovers the next day and they are miserable as sin.

When I was a teen I enjoyed the fact my mum let me drink at home with friends and let me have parties but now I realise how bad it was.

The real crux for me was when I was early twenties I herniated a disk in my back. After a fortnight off work I wanted to a lift to and from work because I didn't want to get public transport first day back and mum said she could drop me off but couldn't pick me up because she was going out with my dad. When I asked couldn't they miss it one week, she said she would rather pay for me to get a cab home 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 10
My Mum has never told me who my biological Dad is

also comments on my acne (had it a lot worse when I was younger) always told me my spots made me ugly. Just get them hormonal now but whenever I see her and I’ve got spots she ALWAYS points them out even in front of people. She does the same to my sister about her weight. She doesn’t like the fact we aren’t ‘perfect’ to her standards

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 22
Drink too much.

my mum definitely had problems with alcohol during her lifetime, probably verging on alcoholism.

This seems a really minor issue, but my dad smashes his teeth together when hes eating soft food, like a banana or mashed potato. I absolutely cannot be in the same room as my dad and step mum when we eat, as my dad smashes his teeth and my step mum slaps her lips. Horrible!

• Sick
Reactions: 4
They never give direct answers if you ask them something. They both will respond with whatever they want to talk about or a back story from 20 years before you were born or an outright lie because it puts themselves in a good light. Speaking to them chips away at my sanity. Also they both expect me to take care of them in their old age but they didn’t do that for me when I was younger; a brother did. Even though he’s only three years older than me, he was put in charge of looking after me as young as eight years old. He bought computer games and toys for me and even did sewing. My parents were 100% absent.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Too much to list, but they are/were great parents, just circumstances (terminal illness, suicide attempts) made it so I had to do a lot of things that someone in their early teens shouldn't have had to do. I think I resent my brother more for not helping with the burden.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8