Thevitamindproject - Africa

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My definition of wealth would be having the choice to choose. You can go for the £100 jumper or stick with the £10 primark one, but aren't forced to go for the lower priced one because you have to.

Even with a normal income on paper,everything depends on your outgoings and your priorities.
I get that this is really subjective but wealth isn’t just being able to afford day to day things it’s much bigger than that. I’m not ranting at you with this btw so pls don’t think I am a dick - I think where British ppl don’t want to talk about money and those with it refuse to acknowledge the relative privilege it gives them this is still a really new concept to a lot of people?

Like I can’t think of specifics examples without over sharing or coming across as a Mumsnetter but we earn well, but have friends who are from *wealth* who have a combined income of just my salary (the lower of our two by far) but their quality of life is much of a muchness because they’re not paying a huge mortgage, they’re not paying school/nursery fees, cars get bought for them holidays covered or at family properties, they’ve not got to save for the kids, jobs easier as it’s through family friends etc it’s all handed to them whereas we just have our income and that’s it. Wealth just hits different I don’t think it’s possible to explain the ins and outs on just one tattle post but I would swap a higher income for an average one with the insane level of security and emotional comfort wealth gives you. Outside of becoming mortgage free saving for my LO’s future is my #1 financial priority because I want her to have these privileges cos lord knows we didn’t!

Wealth is like a passive income and gifted assets whereas earnt income is just that, you’ve had to work for it and if you stop/can’t you lose it. It’s much harder to lose wealth. Access to wealth & gifted sums of capital also makes living cheaper - you get access to better rates on mortgage products, you don’t need to take out credit products, blah blah blah. It’s like the sims cheatcode to life.

Reactions: 10
I get that this is really subjective but wealth isn’t just being able to afford day to day things it’s much bigger than that. I’m not ranting at you with this btw so pls don’t think I am a dick - I think where British ppl don’t want to talk about money and those with it refuse to acknowledge the relative privilege it gives them this is still a really new concept to a lot of people?

Like I can’t think of specifics examples without over sharing or coming across as a Mumsnetter but we earn well, but have friends who are from *wealth* who have a combined income of just my salary (the lower of our two by far) but their quality of life is much of a muchness because they’re not paying a huge mortgage, they’re not paying school/nursery fees, cars get bought for them holidays covered or at family properties, they’ve not got to save for the kids, jobs easier as it’s through family friends etc it’s all handed to them whereas we just have our income and that’s it. Wealth just hits different I don’t think it’s possible to explain the ins and outs on just one tattle post but I would swap a higher income for an average one with the insane level of security and emotional comfort wealth gives you. Outside of becoming mortgage free saving for my LO’s future is my #1 financial priority because I want her to have these privileges cos lord knows we didn’t!

Wealth is like a passive income and gifted assets whereas earnt income is just that, you’ve had to work for it and if you stop/can’t you lose it. It’s much harder to lose wealth. Access to wealth & gifted sums of capital also makes living cheaper - you get access to better rates on mortgage products, you don’t need to take out credit products, blah blah blah. It’s like the sims cheatcode to life.
I see what you are saying but I disagree. To me, those things only happen on mumsnet lol. Your parents paying your mortgage, nursery fees, buying your cars and paying for your annual holiday is not the norm in the UK. The vast majority of people in UK have to work for these things.

To me wealth is anything above and beyond your needs. I can't afford to buy because I had my first child in mid 20s, which was a choice I made. But I do prioritise saving for my children, if you put away £50-100 pcm from birth and invest it correctly they could have £30k by the time they are 18. I realize there is massive privilege in doing that, but I also buy the £15 jumper to be able to do that (and IME more expensive doesn't necessarily last longer). I could buy the £100 jumper, but I'd much rather create some wealth for my children.

I rent, and my houses have been nothing like Grillo's How I Rent series. They are often run down, old fashioned and in need of repair. So I can see why people see SH as a privilege, as it's secure tenure so you can justify spending money to decorate it.

Reactions: 1
To me, those things only happen on mumsnet lol. Your parents paying your mortgage, nursery fees, buying your cars and paying for your annual holiday is not the norm in the UK
No it’s not the norm because wealth is concentrated in a small % of the population! It’s defs a function of where I’ve lived and worked but I know plenty of people living subsidised lifestyles so it’s not an impossibility. Literally every Insta mama rose to fame with their low LTV mortgage they’d never have afforded without parental support.

And re the £100 jumper and more broadly Insta disclosures on inherited wealth - I agree! But it doesn’t have to be one or the other, maybe Africa’s family don’t go on holiday so that’s their thing? They’re not buying in London so that means they’re not prisoners to a huge mortgage. Like you have to allow people *something* but I do agree when it comes to influencers like Alexandra Stedmen sat In a 30% LTV house she never could have paid for herself telling us to buy £40 a tin paints or chic candles I’ll pass thx love I actually pay my way so will be making logical decisions thanks sweetie x

ETA - this isn’t me being a dick and being like nah nah nah nah cos I honestly think it’s a huge problem no ones admitting to their privileges / respective wealths bht 49% of FTBs get financial help from parents! So you may very well have friends who have that just daren’t discuss x

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
No it’s not the norm because wealth is concentrated in a small % of the population! It’s defs a function of where I’ve lived and worked but I know plenty of people living subsidised lifestyles so it’s not an impossibility. Literally every Insta mama rose to fame with their low LTV mortgage they’d never have afforded without parental support.

And re the £100 jumper and more broadly Insta disclosures on inherited wealth - I agree! But it doesn’t have to be one or the other, maybe Africa’s family don’t go on holiday so that’s their thing? They’re not buying in London so that means they’re not prisoners to a huge mortgage. Like you have to allow people *something* but I do agree when it comes to influencers like Alexandra Stedmen sat In a 30% LTV house she never could have paid for herself telling us to buy £40 a tin paints or chic candles I’ll pass thx love I actually pay my way so will be making logical decisions thanks sweetie x

ETA - this isn’t me being a dick and being like nah nah nah nah cos I honestly think it’s a huge problem no ones admitting to their privileges / respective wealths bht 49% of FTBs get financial help from parents! So you may very well have friends who have that just daren’t discuss x
BTW I wasn't relating my above post to Africa, just about wealth in general.
I agree many people get help to buy, as in a few £K perhaps but I honestly don't know anyone who got a full deposit and definitely not a whole house gifted.
I don't follow anyone big or 'on trend' so don't know who you are referring to, but do they actually come out and say they received X amount as a gift, or are people just assuming? If Africa wasn't so forthcoming with her past financial life, anyone who just had a look at her pictures would assume she came from wealth. Lovely wedding relatively young, 3 children before 30, gorgeous London flat, long haul holidays etc. It's just like with TMS (who had SH on Portabello Rd), unless you know the full story things can be very misleading.
And no, I don't think you're being argumentative at all (and neither am I BTW), I find these conservations very interesting, which was something that I liked about Africa's account.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I loved the inventive way she used space in their small flat, she's very clever at interiors however I find her very worthy, this whole insta trend of all wooden natural toys and no fisher price plastic crap floating around very unrelatable and her kids must be impossible to buy for as you'd have to make sure any gift is going to fit the *aesthetic*. Puke.

Reactions: 6
I loved the inventive way she used space in their small flat, she's very clever at interiors however I find her very worthy, this whole insta trend of all wooden natural toys and no fisher price plastic crap floating around very unrelatable and her kids must be impossible to buy for as you'd have to make sure any gift is going to fit the *aesthetic*. Puke.
I actually find that very controlling. Not allowing your child to have a toy that they enjoy because it doesn't fit in your aesthetic is really odd. Now you mention it there was a pink plastic pram that they were given or something (maybe from a friend?) and Africa said ordinarily she'd get rid of it immediately, but because her daughter really liked it she'd allow it temporarily before getting rid. The same with clothing, once the child gets to a certain age you'd think they should have some autonomy over what they wear. The idea that it has to fit the family colour palette is so bizarre.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
BTW I wasn't relating my above post to Africa, just about wealth in general.
I agree many people get help to buy, as in a few £K perhaps but I honestly don't know anyone who got a full deposit and definitely not a whole house gifted.
I don't follow anyone big or 'on trend' so don't know who you are referring to, but do they actually come out and say they received X amount as a gift, or are people just assuming? If Africa wasn't so forthcoming with her past financial life, anyone who just had a look at her pictures would assume she came from wealth. Lovely wedding relatively young, 3 children before 30, gorgeous London flat, long haul holidays etc. It's just like with TMS (who had SH on Portabello Rd), unless you know the full story things can be very misleading.
And no, I don't think you're being argumentative at all (and neither am I BTW), I find these conservations very interesting, which was something that I liked about Africa's account.
I’m glad you’ve said the last bit cos I’m in complete agreement - I don’t want to be a dick and I think grabbing print screens to prove a point is very Twitter 🤢

Agree love these sorts of convos & it’s definitely not just about Africa, like we all have consumed / enjoyed her content so it’s natural we’ll want to talk about the stuff she does!

Agree, but in Africa’s defence at least she’s disclosing she’s living in HA (so under private market rents) and has referenced having debt / a financial sort out to save for that house semi recently. The bar is SO low for an influencer/Instagram mum you can root for but we are in rich girl hell so I’ll take what I can 😂😂

I’m glad you’ve said the last bit cos I’m in complete agreement - I don’t want to be a dick and I think grabbing print screens to prove a point is very Twitter 🤢

Agree love these sorts of convos & it’s definitely not just about Africa, like we all have consumed / enjoyed her content so it’s natural we’ll want to talk about the stuff she does!

Agree, but in Africa’s defence at least she’s disclosing she’s living in HA (so under private market rents) and has referenced having debt / a financial sort out to save for that house semi recently. The bar is SO low for an influencer/Instagram mum you can root for but we are in rich girl hell so I’ll take what I can 😂😂
I totally agree, Africa has been so transparent, and has always made it very clear that she doesn't intend to make people feel that they should have xyz. I made the point about her looking "well off" to illustrate that what you see on the account is only a snap shot. It's easy to make assumptions if you aren't privy to the background info.

• Heart
Is it not a conflict of interest when she does ÀDs for Gorillas, the company her husband works for?

My cynicism towards mumfluencers wouldn't put it past her to have been pulling a fast one over her entire audience. She may have come from a unprivileged background/upbringing. But she is very well educated and seems to have been in pretty well paid employment in the past and currently too. I've always found her feed to be very middle class. Home owners are not always "priviledged". As a home owner (bought over 20 years ago) and being blue collar workers with no rise in pay for the last 15 years. I have no where near as much disposable income as the middle class white collar workers. It's very much shopping on tight budgets and dressing kids in asda/primark/next/ebay and even then handing those things down. Her feed/aesthetic/taste is luxe.
Never believed her to be "struggling"

Reactions: 5
My cynicism towards mumfluencers wouldn't put it past her to have been pulling a fast one over her entire audience. She may have come from a unprivileged background/upbringing. But she is very well educated and seems to have been in pretty well paid employment in the past and currently too. I've always found her feed to be very middle class. Home owners are not always "priviledged". As a home owner (bought over 20 years ago) and being blue collar workers with no rise in pay for the last 15 years. I have no where near as much disposable income as the middle class white collar workers. It's very much shopping on tight budgets and dressing kids in asda/primark/next/ebay and even then handing those things down. Her feed/aesthetic/taste is luxe.
Never believed her to be "struggling"
Yea agree somewhat. It’s the tiling and fixtures and fittings of the bathroom at her London flat for me. If you were in debt why go to such expense. I understand that ppl who rent deserve to have a nice home just as much as owners and I like grillo designs account. I think lounge and bedrooms is one thing but tiling a whole bathroom and ripping out the entire system to replace. Was always a bit odd to me.

Yea agree somewhat. It’s the tiling and fixtures and fittings of the bathroom at her London flat for me. If you were in debt why go to such expense. I understand that ppl who rent deserve to have a nice home just as much as owners and I like grillo designs account. I think lounge and bedrooms is one thing but tiling a whole bathroom and ripping out the entire system to replace. Was always a bit odd to me.
And also saying they had no jobs, at one point they were both jobless during the pandemic with her husband having to do uber eats etc so that put lookong for the house on the back burner, then a few months later she's saying theyve got a house and will moving...

And also saying they had no jobs, at one point they were both jobless during the pandemic with her husband having to do uber eats etc so that put lookong for the house on the back burner, then a few months later she's saying theyve got a house and will moving...
So is her her husband now a delivery driver for Gorillas? They don’t have any places in Kent.

It's likely they are being funded by her in-laws.
Her husband went to grammar school and she mentions the name of school she went to which is one the best schools in the area. Her in-laws are probably also paying for the kids school fees and this is an investment property which can showcase her interior design skills and get her more ads and sponsorships. Her husband seems handy at DIY so looks like hes gone into property development and this isn't a forever home but a very good investment opportunity. Otherwise why would anyone move to Thanet!!

I find her very contrary which is probably because she can't keep her story straight. Someone who keeps having to highlight how authentic they are mostly probably isn't. I know alot of people like her but I find her quite odd.

Reactions: 4
So is her her husband now a delivery driver for Gorillas? They don’t have any places in Kent.
No he works as Head of Operations, or something like that according to his linkedin

That video or clip she showed where she and J are sitting on chairs in the new house, I guess going to answer ppls questions, not sure if the video was ever released but it looked so awkward, her husband deffo seems like he didnt want to be in front of the camera but she loves the camera

So only from july2020-dec2020 it seems like he waa out of work and doing those amazon and uber eats, but by Feb 2021 she was already hinting at a move....so if they were broke how did they get money for a deposit so quickly?!?!? Something isnt adding up at all

Attachments

Last edited:
Busy removing followers:

1644702415652.png

You can get more for your money in Kent which makes it more alluring.

Last edited:
It's likely they are being funded by her in-laws.
Her husband went to grammar school and she mentions the name of school she went to which is one the best schools in the area. Her in-laws are probably also paying for the kids school fees and this is an investment property which can showcase her interior design skills and get her more ads and sponsorships. Her husband seems handy at DIY so looks like hes gone into property development and this isn't a forever home but a very good investment opportunity. Otherwise why would anyone move to Thanet!!

I find her very contrary which is probably because she can't keep her story straight. Someone who keeps having to highlight how authentic they are mostly probably isn't. I know alot of people like her but I find her quite odd.
I think this is a massive reach. Until a recent story or post I assumed Jermel was no contact with his family as there has never, ever been any mention of them. Africa numerous times went through the list of people that the children get Christmas presents from (and she sends them all a list of allowed presents) and his family were never mentioned. Why would the inlaws suddenly want to be paying school fees and buying properties? They moved to Thanet because it's still affordable.
A Google of his name brings up his occupation, he isn't a driver.

• Heart
No he works as Head of Operations, or something like that according to his linkedin

That video or clip she showed where she and J are sitting on chairs in the new house, I guess going to answer ppls questions, not sure if the video was ever released but it looked so awkward, her husband deffo seems like he didnt want to be in front of the camera but she loves the camera

So only from july2020-dec2020 it seems like he waa out of work and doing those amazon and uber eats, but by Feb 2021 she was already hinting at a move....so if they were broke how did they get money for a deposit so quickly?!?!? Something isnt adding up at all
Now he’s People Operations - Growth and Support. Is that like HR? How much did her house cost?

I'm not sure why people are so skeptical about where the deposit money came from. Assume the house was £300k (I've no idea how much it cost, just an example) the deposit would be £30k. It isn't unthinkable that this could be covered with 4-5 ads.

Reactions: 5
Now he’s People Operations - Growth and Support. Is that like HR?
Yeah idk why HR has seemingly rebranded to People over the last few years, it’s more common in startups (ime!).

Not @ you mustard, new comment: but I’m so confused (or am I…..) as to why ppl are looking for secret intentions or means to a very normal family move from someone who has continuously been open about her family’s background and financial circumstances? I wish I saw this level of deep dive on any white Insta mama’s threads. Does anyone want to fully out Victoria Emes as a racist instead of Thanet hate 😭🙏🏻

Reactions: 7