The X Factor UK

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Popstars: the Rivals was the one which pitted Girls Aloud against that boys' group, wasn't it? I think it's quite blatant that they set the boys up to fail. They put together a group of lads who looked silly together with their different heights and builds and gave them a really crap song.
It was yeah, Girls Aloud and One True Voice, I actually really liked their song sacred trust, but yeah it was obvious they wasn’t gonna last.

Reactions: 2
Ashamed to admit that I loved X Factor in the beginning, the scales fell from my eyes around 2011
Completely agree. It was a guilty pleasure of mine but with everything that’s came out recently I cannot bring myself to watch it anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Completely agree. It was a guilty pleasure of mine but with everything that’s came out recently I cannot bring myself to watch it anymore.
It makes me angry. Cowell is beyond vile and the way the show manipulates contestants and viewers is appalling.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Popstars: the Rivals was the one which pitted Girls Aloud against that boys' group, wasn't it? I think it's quite blatant that they set the boys up to fail. They put together a group of lads who looked silly together with their different heights and builds and gave them a really crap song.
The guys were much better singers though. I always preferred when it was the guys week to sing

Two of Zoe Alexander's videos are linked above but this one is especially poignant, especially near the end when it brings up Cowell's ridiculing of auditionee Paula Goodspeed for wearing teeth braces, as well as Ariel Burdett's appearance (both she and Goodspeed later committed suicide).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Two of Zoe Alexander's videos are linked above but this one is especially poignant, especially near the end when it brings up Cowell's ridiculing of auditionee Paula Goodspeed for wearing teeth braces, as well as Ariel Burdett's appearance (both she and Goodspeed later committed suicide).

Oh my god. The treatment of the girl with braces is disgusting. I wore a brace for a year or two and hated it. Like her it would not stop me doing the things I wanted and nor should it. Even if she were a deluded wannabe who walked in straight off the street she should not have been subjected to that. Having never watched the show much I have always had a bit of sympathy for the judges, dealing with absolutely delusional contestants at the end of long days, but no more. What Cowell did to her is unjustifiable and unforgivable. Scum of the earth

Reactions: 4
I think her name was Stephanie Mcmichael, she was on popstars the rivals, she went into the big brother house at some point.
Yes! Thank you so much, that was definitely bugging me.

Speaking of One True Voice, it reminded me that Daniel Pearce went on to collab with Dizzee Rascal!

Yes! Thank you so much, that was definitely bugging me.

Speaking of One True Voice, it reminded me that Daniel Pearce went on to collab with Dizzee Rascal!
Yes! I was watching Glasto or TITP highlights one year and Daniel Pearce popped up on stage with Dizzee. I remember frantically googling 😂😂

Remember that chubby-faced man with thinning, greasy hair who sang Aqua's Barbie Girl and the Bee Gees' Tragedy, both in a weird, high-pitched voice?
Omg yes! Was he the man who worked in a chicken nugget factory?? He is probably my most memorable person from X factor auditions!
Haha yes! One of my favourite auditions. 😂
His audition's from the 1 minute 10 second mark on this video.

A few months back I watched one of those YouTube’s of the ‘funniest’ auditions ever. And having heard about people like Kelsey, misha and Zoe it makes me realise that those people who went on and were bad have most likely been coerced to go on the show and behave in that way for the public’s entertainment. Some of these people are mentally vulnerable. I know I’ve sat there and said to my parents “surely someone in their family has had a word and said they can’t sing” but I wouldn’t be surprised if a producer came sniffing round and told them they were amazing so we could have a good laugh at their expense. It’s sickening.

Reactions: 7
I haven't watched this crap in years. It is obviously so staged & it's all about the judges!
I'll never forget the look on Simon's face when Susan Boyle first walked on stage. It was a look of utter disgust.
He really is a manipulative bully. And someone needs to get him a stylist. There's only so many white shirts & stonewashed jeans one person can wear!

Reactions: 7
Apparently Simon Cowell's label are known for closeting gay artists.

A few years ago when Matt Terry won it. There was speculation that him and another contestant Freddie were in a relationship. When Matt won there was this whole thing about how they kissed on stage. However a few days before the final when they filmed the X factor bus going to Matt's family home, Freddie posted a video on snapchat (I saw these snaps as I followed him) and he was in Matt's home and said on snapchat that he wasn't allowed outside while the cameras were filming. After that I did believe it a bit more. There's a bunch of other rumours about making young male contestants split up with their girlfriends from home as they are more desirable when they're single.

Jess Glynne was apparently another artist who was closeted by them. She came out as bi in 2018.

Apparently Simon Cowell's label are known for closeting gay artists.

A few years ago when Matt Terry won it. There was speculation that him and another contestant Freddie were in a relationship. When Matt won there was this whole thing about how they kissed on stage. However a few days before the final when they filmed the X factor bus going to Matt's family home, Freddie posted a video on snapchat (I saw these snaps as I followed him) and he was in Matt's home and said on snapchat that he wasn't allowed outside while the cameras were filming. After that I did believe it a bit more. There's a bunch of other rumours about making young male contestants split up with their girlfriends from home as they are more desirable when they're single.

Jess Glynne was apparently another artist who was closeted by them. She came out as bi in 2018.
Oh I bloody loved Matt Terry! He was a bit of me. I definitely read a lot about how he was closeted.

His audition's from the 1 minute 10 second mark on this video.

He might not have had the voice to win but there must be an opening for him somewhere in the entertainment industry

A few months back I watched one of those YouTube’s of the ‘funniest’ auditions ever. And having heard about people like Kelsey, misha and Zoe it makes me realise that those people who went on and were bad have most likely been coerced to go on the show and behave in that way for the public’s entertainment. Some of these people are mentally vulnerable. I know I’ve sat there and said to my parents “surely someone in their family has had a word and said they can’t sing” but I wouldn’t be surprised if a producer came sniffing round and told them they were amazing so we could have a good laugh at their expense. It’s sickening.
If people chose to go on In an open audition and are terrible then I am fine with the judges being harsh. Some people need it. And some need it more than others. But this is only if you believe the narrative of the show.
I know they invited people to come and audition near me. It was clearly a device to find some untalented entertainment to exploit and fill out the show. This is worse than Jeremy Kyle.

Last edited:
Oh I bloody loved Matt Terry! He was a bit of me. I definitely read a lot about how he was closeted.
I don’t think he try to cover it that hard. I seem to remember he was always posting pics of him and guys famous on the London scene (including Aaron Renfree) and was always being pictured at G-A-Y.

Ashamed to admit that I loved X Factor in the beginning, the scales fell from my eyes around 2011 and I stopped watching. Absolutely hated it after that, still do. For the reasons shared in this thread.

But looking at that DS link shared further up, I'm remembering old names. Johnny Robinson was mentioned, he was on it the last year I watched it and I loved him.

He did a gig in my town a few months later, at a really lovely burlesque themed venue and it sold out. He was fantastic, sang live and so much better than on X Factor. After the gig, he went round to every single table in that venue to thank us for coming and posed for photos, signed tickets etc. His 'people' were trying to hurry him along and he was like, "They've taken the time to see me, so I'm taking the time to see them!"

I got a lovely photo with him. He was absolutely adorable.

He was made out to be a joke act on X Factor, but was a very talented and humble gent. View attachment 362452
Aw he sounds lovely and I like that he said about seeing everyone as they had made an effort to see him!

I’ve just been thinking how far we seem to come in a shortish amount of time - I genuinely can’t imagine many people being interested in something like X factor now but it used to grip the nation, it was the best Saturday night tv in years but now I think we can maybe see it more now for exploiting vulnerable people. E.g. the man who sang Barbie girl, his audition stuck with me as I remember thinking it was so funny at the time (I was probably early teens at the time) but I’ve just watched part of it back now and I can’t imagine finding that funny, I feel really sorry for him and I actually feel guilty that I even found this entertaining!!!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Does anyone remember Kate Thornton getting really annoyed at rowetta after she’d got through and I’m sure she was running around the stage excited? I can’t find a YouTube video but I remember Kate getting really annoyed with her. Also I never knew until a moment ago when I googled her that Rowetta worked with happy Mondays!!

I think Cat Deeley on Peter Kay Britain's Got the Pop Factor was a spoof of Kate Thornton :D

• Haha