The winter of discontent 2021? Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is all really depressing and contributes to my general lack of excitement for the future, it just feels like there's always bad news on the way. These rising bills and costs of living generally are going to have devastating effects on those who have very little income.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
I have an autistic family member who only eats turkey at Christmas and although me and my mum are trying to find one, we've had to prepare them for the fact we might not get one and it'll have to be whatever we can get.
Is there a problem getting turkey? I've just googled it and seems plenty available?

Reactions: 2
I don't think there are any shortages in Europe, only price increases (although good deals in discounters).
Supply seems to be plenty.

This is all really depressing and contributes to my general lack of excitement for the future, it just feels like there's always bad news on the way. These rising bills and costs of living generally are going to have devastating effects on those who have very little income.
True, but it seems that the pandemic and Brexit created a perfect storm and the steep increase in NI will reduce the disposable income even more.

I'm on a prepayment meter - electric only as my property doesn't have gas for some reason. I got an email a few weeks back from my supplier informing me that it's going up but if I switched to a monthly deal, I could stay on the same price. I rent and my two neighbours checked if their meters could be changed over and the Landlord said no, so we're stuck on prepayment.

I tend to put on £40 a month and £60 a month in winter. I tend to do it monthly as I hate the hassle of walking to a shop every week especially in winter and I have a slipped disc in my back at the moment so find it painful to walk for too long.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think if the C02 shortage continues then there might be a meat shortage. I really hope things do improve for us all.
For assurance would it not be worth just buying one now and freezing it, if it's that important to your family member? Then if you can get a fresh one nearer the time, even better?

I don't eat meat now, but have had frozen turkey crowns previously and they were fine. ☺

Are blackouts likely? I know the press are reporting so, but they have done previously and nothings come of it.

Reactions: 7
My uni housemates and I really rented a house that doesn't have bills included and now this happens 🤡

• Sad
Funny isn’t it because if you look at the first few threads on Covid here back in March 2020 ish there was a lot of talk of stockpiling and some of us (me!) took the piss a bit. Then low and behold within a matter of weeks we were all largely confined to our homes and scavenging around for toilet roll and bleeping pasta 🤣 I might go and fill my chest freezer with Xmas food this week just in case 🤗 Might buy candles and extra blankets/duvets if I’m feeling particularly pessimistic!

TLDR after the events of 2020/21 anything is possible!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I think I must be really naive, I order my food shopping online and haven't noticed any real substitutions at all. Only the odd duff one you usually get.

Reactions: 7
Funny isn’t it because if you look at the first few threads on Covid here back in March 2020 ish there was a lot of talk of stockpiling and some of us (me!) took the piss a bit. Then low and behold within a matter of weeks we were all largely confined to our homes and scavenging around for toilet roll and bleeping pasta 🤣 I might go and fill my chest freezer with Xmas food this week just in case 🤗 Might buy candles and extra blankets/duvets if I’m feeling particularly pessimistic!

TLDR after the events of 2020/21 anything is possible!
Because of all of the idiots stockpiling.

Reactions: 6
Also generally if you live in the cities you might not notice as much because they are prioritized over more rural areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I think I must be really naive, I order my food shopping online and haven't noticed any real substitutions at all. Only the odd duff one you usually get.
I do shopping in person and by far the biggest issues I've had is pet treats, and whatever shortages Wilkos is going through
Asda has changed their isle system so a good portion of it is now dry and wet food and a very small portion is treats. Wilkos is just half empty, though that could also be partially because every other B&M-like store closed
Pets At Home probably has okay stock but their prices are far too expensive. They're now also the only local store that appears to be carrying flea treatments

Also generally if you live in the cities you might not notice as much because they prioritized over more rural areas.
We are pretty rural, an hour to our closest city, and not been experiencing many unavailable items. The bigger one was courgettes for most of summer, luckily I had planted some, so I could pick my own.

Reactions: 3
I’m oxygen dependent and have been left short for the past two weeks because of supply issues for the first time ever.Scary.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Also generally if you live in the cities you might not notice as much because they prioritized over more rural areas.
Aaah I’m urban that probably explains why I haven’t noticed it. I have every supermarket brand going (and duplicates) within a 5 mile radius

The press are scaring people yesterday the DM did a article saying the supermarkets have gotten their Christmas food out already but they always start putting the xmas food out in September.

Are any of you panic buying yet?
They obviously didn't learn anything, from the panic buying they helped to create, during the height of the pandemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
They obviously didn't learn anything, from the panic buying they helped to create, during the heaight of the pandemic.
I think the opposite, the media would love if we all started panic buying - they would get so many easy stories

Outrage stories about people being left short of food
Lots of easy photos that can be reused time and again
Angry opinion pieces about how stockpilers are awful
Angry opinion rebuttals about how there's nothing wrong with stockpiling
Tips on what you can make with a packet of flour and a tin of sardines
Endless speculation about when the shelves will be restocked
Feel good stories about people helping out foodbanks and elderly neighbours
Articles blaming Boris/Starmer *
Articles blaming immigrants/upper class toffs *
Articles blaming Brexit / the EU *
Tonnes of people sharing all of the above to show how much better they are than the people in the articles

* delete as appropriate for each paper

There used to be a saying in the newspaper world: If it Bleeds, It Leads but the modern equivalent with online newspapers is If it Enrages, It Engages.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.