The winter of discontent 2021? Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Things like this seem like progress 😆

People should get a sodastream or water filter. All that water in plastic bottles must have some of the plastic "chemicals" leaching into it? Probably no better for you than the tap.
Oh I totally agree with you!

Reactions: 2
Honestly I'm a bit worried. The lack of HGV drivers is a big problem. I'm concerned about medicines and food mainly.

Christmas has become a consumerism nightmare and honestly it needs stopping.

Also would just like to say to @Yel I always like the threads you start.

Reactions: 31
I'm worried. I find myself each month catching up financially as something else needs paying for (such is life) but I've noticed my fuel and food bills go up, my dd for energy is £85pm! I live alone but it is based on previous energy use so the previous tenant 🙄 I give up

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Honestly I'm a bit worried. The lack of HGV drivers is a big problem. I'm concerned about medicines and food mainly.
The medicines part scares me, my son is on daily medication that we've been struggling to get since Covid, hate to think how poorly he will be if we can't get any for a few days but I don't want to add to the situation by stock pilingA

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm worried. I find myself each month catching up financially as something else needs paying for (such is life) but I've noticed my fuel and food bills go up, my dd for energy is £85pm! I live alone but it is based on previous energy use so the previous tenant 🙄 I give up
Get that looked at, you will be owned
I actually have pre-pay I prefer it as no bills coming in. I put around £20 on lecky and £15 on gas ( £5 every few mths in the summer)

Reactions: 4
The medicines part scares me, my son is on daily medication that we've been struggling to get since Covid, hate to think how poorly he will be if we can't get any for a few days but I don't want to add to the situation by stock pilingA
Same for my husband, and my job relies on medicines being available.

Reactions: 1
It is wierd the things that seem to be in low stock. For ages I could not easily find contact lens liquids. Boots had literally none. Starting to come back now.
Also tonic water which seems wierd.
I am not too worried yet. Creeping prices are annoying though as once prices go up they rarely go down.
However my husband must walk around with his eyes shut as he has not noticed emptier shelves at all 🥴 However if there were cigarette or fishcake shortages he soon would 😂

Reactions: 10
It is wierd the things that seem to be in low stock. For ages I could not easily find contact lens liquids. Boots had literally none. Starting to come back now.
I am not too worried yet. Creeping prices are annoying though as once prices go up they rarely go down.
However my husband must walk around with his eyes shut as he has not noticed emptier shelves at all 🥴 However if there were cigarette or fishcake shortages he soon would 😂
This sounds like the UK is morphing into a third world country.

Reactions: 7
Most Tonic water has quinine in it and people drink it when they have covid and some to prevent it.

• Wow
At the risk of being called a Grinch, is less children's toys for Christmas a bad thing?

So much of it is absolute plastic crap and its so inexpensive these days that many kids get mountains of presents.

I'm more worried about running out of gas for the soda stream 😐
Wish people weren’t so selfish and spoilt. Fed up of people moaning they can’t get kids toys when we have such poverty. Yet rich people keep having kids living in cloud cuckoo land

Oh I totally agree with you!
Yes. I used to have one but I don’t like the mixes nowadays. I make fizzy water with squash and so won’t mind not having any

Yep there's so much to add into the mix!

My deal expired a while ago, I was meaning to fix it again but whoops! It's such a faff having to mess around every year otherwise you get charged over the odds. Just like car insurance.

I assumed it was a mistake that electric alone was way over £100. I don't even use electrics
for high power usage things apart from white goods (no dryer), cooker and kettle.
Those energy fixes are a con. Also firms claiming to have 100 renewables. You can’t on Non windy days. Too many of them set up just like the financial crisis. Like banks taking on customers offering unbelievable things then running out and in trouble. The energy system is a mess and the EU is also to blame as well as Margaret Thatcher. When she shut down coal to stop unions and crush workers. She imported polish coal ironically from communists! It was cheaper for companies so they could produce more to bring more profits in! Then she made it cheaper to manufacturer abroad. Failure as then we outsourced the energy. They have coal, nuclear, fracking, oil etc to manufacture British products!! That’s how stupid this country was. That’s why we have to create renewables to return the energy back to being made in the U.K. and around the world. Yet Greens are the biggest hypocrites, they drive cars, fly, eat oily cheese, soya from abroad, plastic single use items, single use bamboo cotton buds and that waste electric. If we had refillable that would save on energy on production. If we have biodegradable that would save on washing up and recycling. If we had less and products stop production that would also save energy. We need less there’s far too many newspapers I say axe them

If Thatcher set up with her SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE to create new energy sources. She didn’t. She ranted about ozone layer to changed fridge/freezers and aerosols etc yet she didn’t ban single use cotton buds, throwaway nappies, plastic cola bottles with high sugar, she didn’t ban newspapers with plastic bags, she didn’t ban things. More was started that was damaging under her who claimed the Ozone Layer was being damaged! The silly woman created the single market yet 5 years later said NO NO NO when that single market wanted to regulate itself. Her advisor Cockfield had a different idea but the EEC wanted a different way and asked the Labour Party to support it. They did for the social benefits. The EU hardly has any social benefits. They didn’t create green energy earier and invest. Instead charged high taxes disincentivising it making it harder to turn off fossils. They didn’t fund healthcare so when Covid struck the hospitals were overwhelmed and sent around the EU. Instead money was wasted on theatres. (Which closed down ) money also wasted into pockets doing nothing. Lack of vaccine capability, no pandemic plans and EU didn’t have a policy of making sure borders closed and only returning to home country only repatriation flights by armies.The IATA should’ve made that clear. Loads of things wrong. Sudden recovery means more oil and gas! Greens have said we need to change to natural fuels which wouldn’t have risen in price! And been from not far away, not miles away abroad being controlled. Gas and oil leaks and spills and explosions. It’s volatile to war and natural disasters. We need a source of energy mix so that when it’s sunny we get solar, windy wind, water power which waves are constant and nuclear as extra for winter and backup. In summer turn off and use more in winter.Christmas also the problem why is it the most expensive time of year for gas and electric? Yet water varies use. What’s strange is some gas suppliers used to have no standing charges. Now we have to pay standing charges, what a waste! When not at home. Exit fees should go £60. Unfair meaning people can’t change their supplier! People also get fixed in can’t change either. The system is a mess. Broadband and phone contracts so you can’t leave. I think that’s wrong/ I’d have a system of you can join on such and such and no contact walk away with 28 days notice! Meaning people would leave, more competitive system and it would drive more productivity! The market fixing is actually not correct thing to do. Natural gas can be self supplied so why would people need to pay more for something? It’s a con! People will have a wind turbine and little to cost maintaining it. Gas needs a lot of workers! Green energy would save staff and money. It just needs to be improved. Energy efficiency would also help

Last edited:
I’ve noticed stock in supermarkets is variable. I haven’t been able to get chicken breasts for weeks (I got thighs instead). Saw an article on the Daily Fail the other day stating how we should start stock piling for Christmas - which I totally disagree with by the way.

The energy prices is a huge worry as I’m still WFH so using electric all day. I’ve noticed the price of clothes, toiletries etc increase also.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I have noticed the shelfs is major supermarkets have been abit bare lately. Luckily I've always found an alternative and never thought much of it before I read this thread. Ive seen the shortage of lorry drivers is becoming an issue!

Reactions: 4
I have just been reading an article about the shortage of CO2. I didn't realise how important it was for meat production, so watch the price of that go through the roof as well

Reactions: 5
"It was the best of times it was the worst of times".

I made a thread about rising prices a while ago, but it was at the start of the pandemic . My old therapist increased his fee by £4.50 a session. Milk in iceland used to be £1. It went to £1.10. Kinder beuno was three for a £1 now it was £1.30 for three. My dad spotted the mushy peas in aldi were up by 5p.

In America they will increase food stamp benefits by 25% because of the rising prices of food.

Think it will become survival of the richest.

Experiences is definitely a good idea, helps businesses out and unlikely to go out of stock!

Maybe we'll see less parents doing this for 2021? It can't be all bad
View attachment 772124
Think you've got a problem when you can barely even see the tree.

1632165624105.png

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Experiences is definitely a good idea, helps businesses out and unlikely to go out of stock!

Maybe we'll see less parents doing this for 2021? It can't be all bad
View attachment 772124
I look at that picture and all I can think of is the bit at the start of the first Harry Potter book where Dudley throws a fit because he didn't get as many presents as the year before and his parents had to promise to buy him more.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I really worry about those who are on UC and losing £20 a week and have to deal with rising gas prices and food bills getting higher.

I've noticed food going up in price but portions getting smaller too.

I have an autistic family member who only eats turkey at Christmas and although me and my mum are trying to find one, we've had to prepare them for the fact we might not get one and it'll have to be whatever we can get.

I've got two nieces and I'm getting them books this year. When they're a bit older, I'll probably buy them tickets to local attractions. They'll have more fun memories with that than a toy that they will only play with for a short time.

Those present mountains like the Inghams have annoy me no end. It's so excessive and wasteful.

Reactions: 20
The press are scaring people yesterday the DM did a article saying the supermarkets have gotten their Christmas food out already but they always start putting the xmas food out in September.

Are any of you panic buying yet?

Reactions: 10
I'm not sure if there's a thread on this already?

I'm 50/50 whether it's a non story or we're heading into quite a bit of a mess.

There's been shortgages of stuff for weeks now, it's no biggie as you just buy other stuff. But it doesn't seem to be getting any better and it's going to take a long time to train more drivers.

Shipping costs doubling.

Inflation way above target.

The wires to get electric from Europe won't be fixed until march 2022 after the fire in Kent.

Gas prices surging, is Vlad to blame?

The microchip supply issue won't be fixed until 2023 apparently.

Now enegery prices serging and 5 suppliers have gone bust with one asking for a bail out.
Is it just the UK/Europe having food shortages? I have not noticed many yet in Canada. The farmers definitely had a hard time though this summer as we had a big drought. Grocery prices are up a lot. We have been buying a lot more organic/packaged/frozen fruit and veg as it seems to last better and be better quality. Too bad as we used to try to buy loose items to not have so much plastic consumption.
Gas prices are ridiculous. Over $100 to fill my car at the weekend (Jeep Grand Cherokee), used to be able to fill it for about $65/70.
Utility prices are crazy. Our last bill was close to $500 (gas, electricity, water). Our usage is minimal. Actually, the transmission fees make up more than half of the bill. It is sickening. We used to budget $350 per month for ours bills and that was more than enough, now it isn't. We are on a fixed electricity rate and floating for gas, but honestly when transmission fees are SO high and take up most of the bill it doesn't matter if your usage is low.
Last year, they let some people divert utility payments that couldn't afford it... well, of course, many of those people did not pay it back so now it is being passed on to the general public. What a piss take.

Reactions: 1
For me it will be survival of the fittest in the mince pie section. I don't need any Christmas presents but I hope there's not a pie shortage. Where I have lived they're not a thing like in the UK and I wasn't able to find any apart from in one M&S store 1.5hrs away, but I only did that journey once and they were around £3 with the currency exchange. I am already pie frustrated. 🤪

I'm in Europe- I've only seen increases. Think america has it much worse then the UK at the moment with the clips I've seen on youtube.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.