Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
I saw that childrens toys are going to be in short supply this year too, guessing there is going to be alot of panic buying going on!
2022 has to be better right?!
At the risk of being called a Grinch, is less children's toys for Christmas a bad thing?

So much of it is absolute plastic crap and its so inexpensive these days that many kids get mountains of presents.

I'm more worried about running out of gas for the soda stream 😐

• Heart
Reactions: 63

Yel

Chatty Member
Experiences is definitely a good idea, helps businesses out and unlikely to go out of stock!

Maybe we'll see less parents doing this for 2021? It can't be all bad
Screenshot_20210920-110249_YouTube.jpg

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 50

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
At the risk of being called a Grinch, is less children's toys for Christmas a bad thing?

So much of it is absolute plastic crap and its so inexpensive these days that many kids get mountains of presents.

I'm more worried about running out of gas for the soda stream 😐
I would love Christmas and other celebrations to go back low key. It's just consumerism and not good for our children.
We try to do different things for Christmas gifts, homemade, charity shop, novelty. cheapest competition, Each year my daughter thinks of new things we can do.

I have a stocked food cupboard, and other means of heating, lighting and cooking and if need be I have my old fleece onies and teddy bear bedding if its a toss-up between heating or the laptop ;)

• Heart
Reactions: 45

Yel

Chatty Member
when you have children and 11 neices and nephews it kinda is lol
We're clubbing in this year to get a few things, rather than loads of random stuff that often doesn't get used.

I'm not against presents, just the huge rampant consumerism and plastic tat that has one use that often isn't used much before it goes to sit in landfill for millennia.

• Heart
Reactions: 38

Moanyoldwoman

I will be really hit hard. Single parent on £40k had a car, still struggling but managed etc Covid hit. Lost job, care engine blew up. No car no job. Mum has passed away and ex partner not around nor sending money for two teenagers. I managed to get another job after lockdown but was let go when the second one started. I’m overqualified for some jobs I’m applying for I’ve gone for less money and I’m still not getting anywhere because I’ve now been out of work for over a year and a half. I literally cried last week when my daughter bent over in school and her trousers split because the universal credit doesn’t cover everything and it was an expense I can’t afford. I’ve cancelled sky, my phone is now pay as you go, I don’t smoke, don’t drink, (not that you are less entitled if you do) I have one pair of trainers and one pair of jeans that fit as haven’t bought myself anything since March 2020. I’ve sold my jewellery. I’m not sleeping at night worrying about Christmas and my 13 years olds birthday in November. I feel like a failure and can feel I’m losing myself trying to feed my kids and get them what they need never mind what they want.

£20 is nothing to Some but everything to others I feel so ashamed that humans can begrudge it to people who need it. I need it and I really will be swapping heat for food and going without. It’s criminal to give and then take back. I live in the borough for the highest council tax and council tax support doesn’t even cover it. I owe thousands to Thames water as it’s a bill I can’t afford. I pay gas and electricity which will increase. I’m dying to work and applying and applying. Food going up. THESE BASTARDS DONT EVEN PAY FOR THEIR HOMES AND BREAKFAST FFS I did (as a taxpayer since I was 16 years old until 2020)!

sorry to be so negative but this is reality for a lot of people not just me and I know some have it worse so you just get on with it somehow but this is going to kill people and I don’t know how our government can get away with it?!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 34

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Honestly I'm a bit worried. The lack of HGV drivers is a big problem. I'm concerned about medicines and food mainly.

Christmas has become a consumerism nightmare and honestly it needs stopping.

Also would just like to say to @Yel I always like the threads you start.

Reactions: 31

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
My friend saw someone filling a kettle up with petrol yesterday, not sure how the forecourt staff let them do that but anyway. Then last night there was a house fire near me, probs the idiot with the petrol in the kettle went to make a nice cup of tea 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 30

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
I’m pleased that I filled up my nearly empty tank on Wednesday night.
Apparently my local Sainsbury’s are only allowing fuel to nhs workers.
Once again blinkered vision towards the NHS workers. The majority of NHS workers are like any other worker. IE they don't need their car while working. Priority needs to be giving to those who actually have driving jobs

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
This is what I hope for. Due to covid, we have seen so much and realised what it takes to make us happy and it isn't "stuff"

1632981816473.png

• Heart
Reactions: 27

eSsExBiRd

VIP Member
The problem with the daily mail is its actually an easy to view and navigate website, I don't know why more papers don't copy it. For lunch time viewing it's ideal. Also amongst all the crap there are occasions when it is in the right, its good at calling out hypocrisy and has even done good (like the ppe during first lockdown).

I don't mean to sound like I'm standing up for it, because it's more problematic than it is good, but I think if the rest of the media was a bit more balanced and had easy visually appealing sites the mail may not have the power it does.
The best thing about the Daily Fail is it’s readers comments 🤣 Always straight to the comments section!

• Haha
Reactions: 26

Ostrichkeeper

I’m oxygen dependent and have been left short for the past two weeks because of supply issues for the first time ever.Scary.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

AdApathy

VIP Member
I find out today whether I have a job at the end of October or not, and frankly I'm shitting myself.
2nd redundancy wave in 4 years for me and I'm fed up of constantly trying to keep my head above water.
My ex husband fucked me over, but it's okay for him because he's off living his best life while I sit here trying to keep our two kids fed and warm.
I really don't know what to do.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

that1

Chatty Member
Pretty much the same situation for us. We even pay a similar amount in rent for a similar property. There’s no way we could afford to stay around here if we had to leave unless we moved into a flat but with 2 kids in a 2 bed house we are already pushed for space. Being served notice to leave is a very real fear of mine, it would probably mean having to uproot our whole lives. I know people do that all the time when moving or buying, but it’s not nice when you don’t even have a choice in the matter.
My partner and I bought a house, when we turned up for viewings the residents were really hostile and it was a weird atmosphere. They were a young couple with kids. The estate agent did all the talking and showing us around.

halfway through the sale the estate agent tells us the family were renting, they’d moved in less than a year before, before the landlord decided he wanted to expand his portfolio.

so basically the landlord probably had an inkling he wanted to sell, but rented it out to this young family anyway because, you know, can’t let it be empty for a few months. God forbid he’d make a financial loss. He’d then given them notice he’d be selling so they had to move out about 10-11 months later.

It sickened me. What was worst was that they’d repainted a lot of it, had done it up a bit and bought furniture for the place. They’d obviously hoped to stay there a while.

absolutely infuriates me this guy will never have to face any sort of responsibility for what he did. He interacted with them purely through estate agents so didn’t have to tell them he’d be kicking them out himself.

• Sad

Yel

Chatty Member
It feels like a garage forecourt in here 😐

1632840767035.png

Maybe just agree to disagree and move on if you've said what you want to say?

Some of us are just trying to fill up our plastic bags with petrol, and it's pretty difficult now they all have holes at the bottom!! :confused: Why isn't double bagging working?!

• Haha

dancingqueen5678

Chatty Member
We're clubbing in this year to get a few things, rather than loads of random stuff that often doesn't get used.

I'm not against presents, just the huge rampant consumerism and plastic tat that has one use that often isn't used much before it goes to sit in landfill for millennia.
Not to sound like a dinosaur and this is probably off topic so feel free to delete but I really don't understand the present mentality that exists now. When I was a kid we had 1 big present and then some little ones and a stocking. 4 of my niece's presents for Christmas from her mother included a laptop, a hoverboard, a new bike, and one of those ride on horse things. Sorry but that's outrageous. 1 of those is enough.

• Wow
  • Heart

Slothgang

Chatty Member
I blame social media personally (once again sound like a dinosaur). I think nowadays it's more about how much you buy so you can show people than what you're actually buying. Same with Easter. When did easter become about actual presents? What's wrong with a chocolate egg?
And why does every occasion suddenly require a bloody balloon arch 🥲

• Heart
  • Haha

loobyscoobydoo

This is all really depressing and contributes to my general lack of excitement for the future, it just feels like there's always bad news on the way. These rising bills and costs of living generally are going to have devastating effects on those who have very little income.

• Sad

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
I blame social media personally (once again sound like a dinosaur). I think nowadays it's more about how much you buy so you can show people than what you're actually buying. Same with Easter. When did easter become about actual presents? What's wrong with a chocolate egg?
The people who take photos of all the presents piled up on Xmas eve or the night before their kids birthday sicken me

• Heart

mindlessness

VIP Member
All this discussion of people living beyond their means makes me think about so many of the influencers we discuss here here and the ways they encourage (directly or indirectly) all the over-consumption. It's in part why proper ad declarations are so important - followers deserve to know that most of what is shown on these idyllic SM accounts is gifted. Not to mention its clear some of the influencers live beyond their means too - cars on lease, too-large heavily mortgaged homes etc. Most have bizarre spending habits across the board given surely they must be worried about the longevity of their careers?

• Heart