The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I'm in the pressure cooker scares me camp.
I can't cope with any gadgets that seem too complex.
Maybe in better off realy good slowcoker and reasonably priced air fryer to satisfy hubby's urge found one on amazon that looks good.
Find a really good site or book for these things as everything except pressure cooking can be done in these.
You can cook a cake, a whole chicken, cook rice etc in a slow cooker and the air fryer is great for chips, roast potatoes, crisping up things like the whole chicken you just cooked in the slow cooker :D

I have had my slow cooker for proberbly 35 years and it's still going strong with the same pot. Had my air fryer for around 2 years, I now have an air-fry oven as got rid of my cooker so gave my airfryer away

Yes those are the ones they never have anything else and they weirdly don't include straws.
I guess all the juice same factory we have a sainsbury local and its £1.70 3 pack juices in there i swear used to be £1.
I will hit asda and reset the combination lock on pantry door as my kids can't be trusted.

Purrs is a pressure cooker and instant pot the same thing.
They say they save on the electric bill.
I was happy with my aldi slow cooker but would love something maybe bigger with a light and lasts longer than 18months.
The air fryer is something husband wants skeptical we would use much.
See lots of you tubers especially American ones love their insta pots.
I confess im awful at cooking rice so I buy boil in a bag or microwave I don't want too many things cluttering up space the bread maker was epic fail but I asked for a tefal jam maker which they stopped making now.

I thought tefal acti fry but so many others now in market its a minefield.
I can teach you the ways of the basmati rice (can’t see why it wouldn’t work with long grain, I just haven’t tried it)
Lidded pot for the microwave (I now have a specific one that vents slightly), or cling film with a few holes over a large bowl.
100g of rice per person
Double the amount of boiling water so 200ml boiling water per person.

13 minutes in the microwave on medium (put some kitchen roll underneath, it’s a tit to clean up).
DO NOT OPEN
leave to stand for 10 mins (and clean your microwave)
Done.

Reactions: 3
Yes those are the ones they never have anything else and they weirdly don't include straws.
I guess all the juice same factory we have a sainsbury local and its £1.70 3 pack juices in there i swear used to be £1.
I will hit asda and reset the combination lock on pantry door as my kids can't be trusted.

Purrs is a pressure cooker and instant pot the same thing.
They say they save on the electric bill.
I was happy with my aldi slow cooker but would love something maybe bigger with a light and lasts longer than 18months.
The air fryer is something husband wants skeptical we would use much.
See lots of you tubers especially American ones love their insta pots.
I confess im awful at cooking rice so I buy boil in a bag or microwave I don't want too many things cluttering up space the bread maker was epic fail but I asked for a tefal jam maker which they stopped making now.

I thought tefal acti fry but so many others now in market its a minefield.
Rice is easy to cook. If it's white or brown, 1 cup of rice and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil on the stove, cover and simmer on low for 40 minutes.
If it's jasmine, same quantity and bring to a boil and cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
Once it's finished, put a dish cloth and lid over the pot for 10 mins then fluff.

Reactions: 2
Along with everything else going up in price my appliances are now conspiring against me 😩 Had to replace the microwave last month, the washing machine is playing up and now the TV has suddenly decided to go MIA 😡 all are about 2 years old and mid-range brands. Who do these manufacturers think they are. Living to work enough as it is without having to play silly beggars with big ticket (household) items. No doubt the Shark will do it’s annual breakdown next and I’ll need a new vacuum. It’s all relentless 💸

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Along with everything else going up in price my appliances are now conspiring against me 😩 Had to replace the microwave last month, the washing machine is playing up and now the TV has suddenly decided to go MIA 😡 all are about 2 years old and mid-range brands. Who do these manufacturers think they are. Living to work enough as it is without having to play silly beggars with big ticket (household) items. No doubt the Shark will do it’s annual breakdown next and I’ll need a new vacuum. It’s all relentless 💸
Obvs not useful if it’s over 5 years old but I recently bought my MIL a cordless shark & pretty sure she has a 5 year guarantee on parts, but only 2 years on the battery, so might be worth getting in touch if it’s only been a year?

Obvs not useful if it’s over 5 years old but I recently bought my MIL a cordless shark & pretty sure she has a 5 year guarantee on parts, but only 2 years on the battery, so might be worth getting in touch if it’s only been a year?
@no-no Make sure the warranty has been registered. They can be funny about it if you aren't, even with proof of purchase

Reactions: 1
I agree with an above poster. I used to work for a retail store that dealt with big brands like shark etc and you'd be surprised at what they can do when you ring them up. Most people don't bother ringing and just buy a new item but often companies do offer repairs services.

Also agree with another poster, register the warranty when you buy. It really is worth reading those annoying leaflets they put in the boxes!

+ re leaflets, if you buy direct from their web store they actually email you that all across, I registered MIL’s for her so now get emails about it but would rather just sort anything that goes wrong with it myself as think it’d be a bit much for her / we’d just end up buying a new one to save the upset 😬

The government is entirely in denial about any of the problems normal people are facing.

Did you see that Tory MP complaining about how hard it is to live on 82k salary? bleeping patronising.

And that's in a normal state, if the economy crashes I have absolutely no faith Rishi has any idea how to fix it, he's completely out of his depth.
He’s my MP. Awful thing to say.

Reactions: 3
It looks like our transportation has been a farse for people getting to the Climate Summit according to the Daily Fail.

A bit of weather plus lack of proper investment in our train services makes the UK look so inefficient compared to other countries.

Reactions: 4
not entirely relevant but slightly relevant: Is anyone else bloody starving all the time at the moment? I think it's the cold weather cause it's so cold and windy where I am but all I've done today is eat and be hungry

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My fridge/freezer and washing machine packed up within a few days of eachother. I've had such crap luck with fridges honestly barely last 2 years. My washing machine however was 14 years old so that wasn't much of a shock. My microwave, bought it at the same time as my washing machine, cheap Cookworks from Argos when we first moved in, thought I'd buy a nicer one once we had some extra money, it's going into is 15th year lmao I hate it, but still does the job.

Fridge was a disaster, arrived damaged 3 times, but they ended giving me £100 off and the dent in the last one to arrive was tiny and near the back.

• Heart
not entirely relevant but slightly relevant: Is anyone else bloody starving all the time at the moment? I think it's the cold weather cause it's so cold and windy where I am but all I've done today is eat and be hungry
Yes, ME!!!!! Glad I'm not the only one 🤣 my food budget has gone out the window this past week 😂

Reactions: 8
Yes- I've been comfort eating a lot recently but have always done it when I'm feeling stressed. Not having my gym routine for almost 2 years means i've gained ALOT of extra padding for winter.

No multipack crisps in the big Tesco near me tonight. This was the only section which was empty. Nor were there any single crisps for the lunch meal deal much my child’s disgust. Had to opt for a bag of Apple and Grapes to accompany his Three Bean Wrap.

They did however have plenty of the Finest Christmas Crisps which are the best ever and I will fight anyone who disagrees 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.