The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Probs not the thread for it, but top tip. Put your knickers on the radiator before putting them on. Really warms you up 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
in my experience Costco isn’t cheaper or better quality than aldi and lidl, plus you have to have room to store the stuff.

Have noticed this with red salmon ( not a tuna fan) got two tiny little tins. Never even noticed this size before.

Another thing if the interest rates rise then mortgages will probably follow, we are private rent so guess rent will go up too.
Our landlord could probably put the rent up by 25% right now given the increases of the past 3 months.
lots of houses have been sold that were rented so there’s literally nothing on the market to rent, so landlords can name their price.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Our landlord could probably put the rent up by 25% right now given the increases of the past 3 months.
lots of houses have been sold that were rented so there’s literally nothing on the market to rent, so landlords can name their price.
Your contract should state what the increase is based on. Ours was RPI + 1%.

Also my understanding is that they can't increase it above that unless they make fundamental changes to the property I.e. an extension.

However there is nothing to stop them serving you your notice and then getting a new tenant in at a higher monthly amount

• Heart
  • Sad
Some landlords will be looking to sell before that heat pump becomes law as 5k govt grant wont cover the 10 - 15k actual cost. Not sure whether govt thinks about people in private rent much.

ETA oh its not as bad as I thought ...
While landlords and other property owners will be encouraged to switch to a heat pump or other low-carbon technology, there will be no obligation to remove boilers that are still working.

Last edited:
Probs not the thread for it, but top tip. Put your knickers on the radiator before putting them on. Really warms you up 🤣🤣
I put my towel on the radiator whilst i shower so when i get out its toasty. Also put my clothes on the radiator too so they are warm when i put them on

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Also my understanding is that they can't increase it above that unless they make fundamental changes to the property I.e. an extension.

However there is nothing to stop them serving you your notice and then getting a new tenant in at a higher monthly amount
That is not true, provided they have given your written notice and are in line with the tenancy they can increase your rent 'reasonably'. If in a fixed term you have to agree, if you do not agree, they can increase it at the end of the fixed term.

So either there’s a crisp shortage I know nothing about or my Asda is having its latest staff crisis and didn’t get the stock out last night. 😉 Pom bears and hula hoops for this over 50’s household!,

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
So either there’s a crisp shortage I know nothing about or my Asda is having its latest staff crisis and didn’t get the stock out last night. 😉 Pom bears and hula hoops for this over 50’s household!,
Tesco by me have been low on crisps for a few weeks

Reactions: 5
Tesco by me have been low on crisps for a few weeks
Home Bargains had literally none yesterday. My lo loves cheese and onion Walkers squares, haven't been able to find them anywhere for the past few weeks.

Sainsbury's finally had garlic bread this week after weeks of shortage.. but it gave me heartburn last night. That will serve me right for missing it so much 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I think there genuinely may be a crisp shortage. We've had problems getting certain crisps, mainly Walkers Ready Salted, from Asda for weeks now. Haven't managed to find them elsewhere either.

I think there genuinely may be a crisp shortage. We've had problems getting certain crisps, mainly Walkers Ready Salted, from Asda for weeks now. Haven't managed to find them elsewhere either.
I'm not sure about a shortage, but the supply definitely seems quite patchy.
On the other hand this means there are warehouses stuffed full of all manner of undistributed crisps, not just the well known ones but a multitude of rare and exotic types too, ready for the picking!

All we need now is fuel for the unmarked hgv. And someone to drive it.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Orange juice from concentrate pre August was like 65p a carton now it's £1 a carton...

• Wow

Really?
our last landlord put our rent up 40% in one month, even though we were the ones that maintained it and carried out repairs (not in the contract that was the case, it was just expected)

Some landlords will be looking to sell before that heat pump becomes law as 5k govt grant wont cover the 10 - 15k actual cost. Not sure whether govt thinks about people in private rent much.

ETA oh its not as bad as I thought ...
While landlords and other property owners will be encouraged to switch to a heat pump or other low-carbon technology, there will be no obligation to remove boilers that are still working.
They’ve just added a few new bits for landlords haven’t they? The electric testing and the new tax. They won’t push landlords too far. Too many of them have investments in properties.

• Sad
  • Wow

The reason why petrol prices are extortionate to begin with...

Tax.

On a 142.9p price per litre:

57.9p is fuel duty, 23.7p is VAT. A total of 81.6p.

Fuel is subject to double taxation.

Yet Rishi Sunak was contemplating raising fuel duty further, until oblivious public pressure has forced him to backtrack.

Every time the price a barrel of crude oil rises, the Government automatically benefits from an increased VAT tax take on the increased price.

The Government's tax take is already x10 what the retailer's margin is for selling the fuel.

How much more do the Government want?? They now just come across as utterly greedy when contemplating further increases to fuel duty.

How on earth is the Government going to plug its finances in future, when cars start to move away from using Petrol and Diesel?

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Like anything else only those who can afford to drive will continue to do so.

On a side note: our World war 2 debts were only paid off in '06 .

"The payments of $83.25m (£42.5m) to the US and US$22.7m (£11.6m) to Canada are the last of 50 instalments since 1950. The amount paid back is nearly double that loaned in 1945 and 1946. "

Drove past the petrol station the other day and it's up to 149.9 for diesel!! It was 133.9 before the panic buying!

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.