The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So the UK is the only one suffering all this and it's all because of Brexit?

Maybe someone needs to tell all those other countries that say they are suffering.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
What? I was always certain that there would be customs to be paid once the UK is out of the EU.

BUT WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THAT?
And why would anyone believe this absurd promise that the pro-Leave agenda stated? It was a stupid thing to suggest, especially as it was not in the control of the UK (as you state).
(By the way, there are also customs to be paid from the US etc.)

As a consumer, I would like to decide myself if I only want to buy from within the UK or also buy from other countries. The second choice is now more expensive and this is detrimental to my consumer experience.
Why would anyone vote for this?

In addition, it is pretty hard to buy things "from within the UK" if they are not being produced in the UK. So I either pay more or dont have access to them - reminds me of Cuba.

THIs was a definite (and stupid) step backwards.

The UK will never ever be able to produce everything themselves, especially not exotic fruit and veg, but also many consumer articles that are being produced with licences held outside the UK.

Here is a link you might find useful:
I said that in my previous post! Pre Brexit the threshold was £15 into the UK from anywhere except the EU. Now that applies from the EU too. If you cannot get what you want in the UK then you have to import it at a slight cost.

Thank you for the link.

Reactions: 1
I said that in my previous post! Pre Brexit the threshold was £15 into the UK from anywhere except the EU. Now that applies from the EU too. If you cannot get what you want in the UK then you have to import it at a slight cost.

Thank you for the link.
Yes, I know that!

But the pro-Leave people said it would be tariff-free.

And I wouldn't say it is a "slight" cost, it certainly bumped up the overall price quite a bit.
I had bought a piece of artwork and I had also ordered jewellery once, both purchases were complicated and expensive.

Well casting my vote in a generation election was short lived.
Once.
I won't vote again until there's a party to vote for, sadly that may be never.
There is no one who would do better and no one who could do worse.
They're all career politicians and lie, bully, dictate and hypocrite and dumb down because they think the British public are dumb. The embarrassing publicity stunts, empty promises. I'm out 🙌

Reactions: 16
What? I was always certain that there would be customs to be paid once the UK is out of the EU.

BUT WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THAT?
And why would anyone believe this absurd promise that the pro-Leave agenda stated? It was a stupid thing to suggest, especially as it was not in the control of the UK (as you state).
(By the way, there are also customs to be paid from the US etc.)

As a consumer, I would like to decide myself if I only want to buy from within the UK or also buy from other countries. The second choice is now more expensive and this is detrimental to my consumer experience.
Why would anyone vote for this?

In addition, it is pretty hard to buy things "from within the UK" if they are not being produced in the UK. So I either pay more or dont have access to them - reminds me of Cuba.

THIs was a definite (and stupid) step backwards.

The UK will never ever be able to produce everything themselves, especially not exotic fruit and veg, but also many consumer articles that are being produced with licences held outside the UK.

Here is a link you might find useful:
also many UK companies import stuff (parts etc) from the EU which is now at an expense to them which means an expense to us or just completely unavailable.
Secondly a major issue that UK businesses are having is that they sell TO THE EU which the EU now don't want to buy cause they can get it cheaper elsewhere.

I don't know how people can keep blaming COVID. EU countries and countries across the globe went through the exact same pandemic we did yet seem to be functioning perfectly fine. Yes there are a shortage of HGV drivers in Europe but their shelves are still well stocked because they have freedom of movement.

Well casting my vote in a generation election was short lived.
Once.
I won't vote again until there's a party to vote for, sadly that may be never.
There is no one who would do better and no one who could do worse.
They're all career politicians and lie, bully, dictate and hypocrite and dumb down because they think the British public are dumb. The embarrassing publicity stunts, empty promises. I'm out 🙌
that's the exact opposite of what you should do! Vote for the best of a bad bunch. Otherwise you're just going to continue to have a bad bunch!!!!!!
Voting isn't a marriage. You're not looking for the "one". Voting is needing to get destination where no transport is going to so you just get on the best bus that takes you closest to your destination.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think we all need to do ourselves a favour in uk and acknowledge that the tories are not paying any more money to the NHS.
They should. However, they won't.
The NHS have millions of pounds of funding every year. Too many people not paying and constantly taking out. Badly managed and wasteful areas of the NHS and the departments that really need the funds not getting anywhere near enough. It’s not just about money it’s a much bigger problem. But that’s a whole other thread!

Reactions: 12
The NHS have millions of pounds of funding every year. Too many people not paying and constantly taking out. Badly managed and wasteful areas of the NHS and the departments that really need the funds not getting anywhere near enough. It’s not just about money it’s a much bigger problem. But that’s a whole other thread!

My dad is a manager in the NHS. Believe me, I am fully aware that it needs a complete overhaul of running/managing/spending etc.

The point still stands though. The tories (and UKIP) dangled the NHS in front of the face of people during Brexit and they continue to it now but the tories will never follow through on that promise.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
also many UK companies import stuff (parts etc) from the EU which is now at an expense to them which means an expense to us or just completely unavailable.
Secondly a major issue that UK businesses are having is that they sell TO THE EU which the EU now don't want to buy cause they can get it cheaper elsewhere.

I don't know how people can keep blaming COVID. EU countries and countries across the globe went through the exact same pandemic we did yet seem to be functioning perfectly fine. Yes there are a shortage of HGV drivers in Europe but their shelves are still well stocked because they have freedom of movement.

that's the exact opposite of what you should do! Vote for the best of a bad bunch. Otherwise you're just going to continue to have a bad bunch!!!!!!
Voting isn't a marriage. You're not looking for the "one". Voting is needing to get destination where no transport is going to so you just get on the best bus that takes you closest to your destination.
When I'm done I'm really done. None are going anywhere near my destination. I need a new party for that.

My university has stopped some formal dinners due to supply chain issues and staffing problems

When I'm done I'm really done. None are going anywhere near my destination. I need a new party for that.
I think the problem with just throwing your vote away because you disagree with the leading parties (which is fair enough) is that it's a bit pointless
The other part of the problem with the UK when it comes to voting is that we don't really seem to often be voting for the actual policies and instead just stick to the parties we/our parents have voted all this time, or voting for 'personalities' of the leader rather than looking at what the actual MP for our constituency has done/plans to do too - in effect also looking at the policies
Then there's a whole thing with a lot of people not voting Labour because they "ruined" the country some decades ago, but who really cares if Conservatives seem to be doing the same thing too?

I'm not sure if it's that different in other countries, but personality politics doesn't seem to be this massive thing. Starmer would probably look like a lot more appealing choice (compared to Boris) to many people because he's decently good at holding the Government accountable and seems to have a generally good head on his shoulders. Yet I constantly read on forums about how he's boring (+ other issues that are more political) and doesn't appeal to the public because of that

Reactions: 13
My daughter is gutted. Due to the supply chain issues, they didn’t have any cheese and ham pizza for lunch at school, so she had to have sausages instead. Oh to be 6 again.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Mr Kazizzle officially had confirmation yesterday that he doesn't have a job this winter season out in France. It's a bit of a mix of Covid and Brexit - the impact and uncertainty of Covid meaning that they are running a reduced season so operating waaaaay less hotels than normal, and Brexit because it's challenging to get work visas for non-EU staff and all vacancies need to be offered to EU nationals first. He's worked with this company for four winters now and is devastated. All other winter seasonal jobs we can find require an EU passport. It's a great money maker for us as he has very little outgoings while there so it's a real blow to be going without for a second winter in a row (and the winter before that was only half a season as Covid sent them all home) when our outgoings will be going up as a result. This whole year has been a total mess for us so this just feels like another huge blow going in to winter. It's so hard to stay focused and positive.

• Sad
I always vote. However my vote is useless because we live in true blue red-corduroy-trousered Tory country (Kent in fact). My MP ignores my emails basically because I dont agree with some (OK virtually all) of his actions. It's very hard not to get disheartened when you know your vote will make duck all difference. It's basically a protest vote every time.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
right so you're just going to let other people vote which could potentially ruin the country even more? While you do what? Because you'll be dealing with the consequences and implications of a vote either way. Politics impacts all of us whether we like to admit it or not. Not voting cause you dislike everyone isn't going to make the government any better. Even if there is no party you can get behind, there are plenty of parties you won't get behind and they shouldn't be power. You pick the one with the manifesto you believe in most. It is fully possible to have a decent government and the greatest risk to democracy isn't political parties, it's voter apathy!

Reactions: 6
Where I live is a massive council estate that always vote red but surrounding areas are all fancy rich old people in million+pound houses that always vote blue so my area comes under Tory. I voted for Corbyn at the last GE but would not vote for Starmer just because I feel like he has been poor opposition throughout this covid mess and feel like he's let Bojo & co get away with all sorts. I feel like he is a bit of a "yes man" & for that I feel he doesnt speak for people like myself. He comes out with soundbites at PMQs but they are mostly just taking the piss out of each other with jeering in the background.

We need a new party full of actual working people that know what it's like to be living on the bread line, that has claimed JSA, ESA, PIP, UC etc. We need real people with real experiences that can relate to the majority of the UK rather than people who have breathed politics from birth, come from money & never had to struggle or work a proper job in their lives. Kinda what the Labour party used to be about when it first came about. I can't see that happening any time soon but it's definitely needed. Especially as the next GE isnt until 2024, unless Bojo brings it forward.

• Heart
Does primark have the grey marl cotton jersey bedding in this year? Want another set but thought I’d ask before making a trip.

God it’s like Uni all over again when we slept in fleeces and wore onesies over clothes because the house was badly insulated 🥶🥶🥶
I saw the jersey bedsheets but can't remember seeing the duvet cover. I did however buy a brushed cotton set which is lovely and warm.

Does primark have the grey marl cotton jersey bedding in this year? Want another set but thought I’d ask before making a trip.

God it’s like Uni all over again when we slept in fleeces and wore onesies over clothes because the house was badly insulated 🥶🥶🥶
Not sure about primark but I ordered ours from George Asda online and collected from my local store. They are really decent prices from there x

Not sure about primark but I ordered ours from George Asda online and collected from my local store. They are really decent prices from there x
do they fasten? My muji one has a zipper which is nifty. I hate duvet covers which have no fastenings!

Been watching we usa you tubers
They have shortages of certain items over there.
The global supply chain is broken so things imported to USA 🇺🇸 are slowly down..
Shipping is expensive.
USA postal service making cuts
They have shortages truck drivers and some rising gas prices.
Really hard estimate cost living over there as Costs and taxes can vary by state.

Europe is also struggling with rising energy prices and not enough hgv drivers.
Covid has eaten into company profits.

Today it was announced marks and Spencer is shutting down Bristol City centre store which is opposite a closed Debenham think shuts jan our useless labour mayor has not helped matters.
I prefer city centre to out of town cribbs as short more frequent bus ride and cheaper shops.
I get most of my clothes 2nd hand charity shops and jumble sales these days as hardky any fashion shops fan walk into and try clothes on.
I know there's online but for me the fun of shopping is going in.

Vote leave comprised many parties
They never were the government so their promises were hollow.
I think the mainsteam media are really playing on people's fears over shortages.
Our 2 party politics here offers not much of a choice.

Our supermarket operate a just in time system and our supply chains are pretty good compared most countries.
Retailers buy stock least 6months in advance non foods I think we will start see shortages non food products after Xmas in 2022 because will be global shortages on things lielke electronic or anything from Asia.

I don't think covid pandemics over and the sheer amount short staff industries will pay the price of freedom day and pretending covid pandemics is over when infection rise we already the highest in Europe.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.