Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jc456

VIP Member
Why kill the pigs? Why cant u keep them alive until they have the gas or whatever?
I'm guessing they have to be a certain age for the meat industry? I'm guessing aswell the bigger they get the less space on the farms, more food they need to eat etc

Reactions: 8

eSsExBiRd

VIP Member
Been to Tesco tonight before I saw the ridiculous headline in the fail - no shortages anywhere. Is this the SE again?
All that was missing in my Tesco delivery today was Tortilla crisps. Got loo roll, bread etc. Everything the Daily Fail says we have none of 😂 I’m SE x

kazizzle

VIP Member
I'm feeling slightly less worried than I was in the previous thread, as I've just had a remortgage quote through and the money I'm saving on those monthly payments will offset the increased energy bills so hopefully my monthly outgoings won't increase by too much. Still a bit worried through. My partner usually works abroad in the winter for the ski season and with Covid and Brexit it's still really uncertain, the company he usually works for haven't even started applications yet and he usually applies in early summer! It's a really good money maker for us as he gets a good wage and has very few outgoings so feeling concerned about the effect of having another winter where he needs to find a job here where he most likely won't earn as much and will probably be miserable all season :ROFLMAO: plus I spend more with him here as he eats more and also puts the heating on more!

• Heart

GobShyte64

VIP Member
Been watching we usa you tubers
They have shortages of certain items over there.
The global supply chain is broken so things imported to USA 🇺🇸 are slowly down..
Shipping is expensive.
USA postal service making cuts
They have shortages truck drivers and some rising gas prices.
Really hard estimate cost living over there as Costs and taxes can vary by state.

Europe is also struggling with rising energy prices and not enough hgv drivers.
Covid has eaten into company profits.

Today it was announced marks and Spencer is shutting down Bristol City centre store which is opposite a closed Debenham think shuts jan our useless labour mayor has not helped matters.
I prefer city centre to out of town cribbs as short more frequent bus ride and cheaper shops.
I get most of my clothes 2nd hand charity shops and jumble sales these days as hardky any fashion shops fan walk into and try clothes on.
I know there's online but for me the fun of shopping is going in.

Vote leave comprised many parties
They never were the government so their promises were hollow.
I think the mainsteam media are really playing on people's fears over shortages.
Our 2 party politics here offers not much of a choice.

Our supermarket operate a just in time system and our supply chains are pretty good compared most countries.
Retailers buy stock least 6months in advance non foods I think we will start see shortages non food products after Xmas in 2022 because will be global shortages on things lielke electronic or anything from Asia.

I don't think covid pandemics over and the sheer amount short staff industries will pay the price of freedom day and pretending covid pandemics is over when infection rise we already the highest in Europe.
Mainstream media are definitely playing into peoples fears. Thats their clickbait and how they get paid. I saw on The Sun yesterday (I didnt read it, just caught the headline) but they had spoken to the scientist that came up with the oxford vaccine and shes already talking about a new virus from India that would wipe out 50% of the population. Talk about doom & gloom. If the media had their way people would believe everything they saw & read & wouldnt leave the house.

hollowcrown

Chatty Member
I was talking about whether farmers cared about killing animals for no reason. Eating meat or not is a completely different conversation
Raising an animal and having that animal be killed for no reason will obviously be hard on farmers. At least if it's being killed for meat it actually had a meaning to its life. I can see why killing an animal for no reason would be distressful to farmers.

• Sick

IngressUK

VIP Member
Public transport prices are outrageous. They want people to do their bit for the environment but make it possible?! Whenever officials discuss transport I feel like it’s very London/big city centric. There’s never a thought to those who live semi rurally (i don’t even live rural!). A bus from my house to my local town is 1h and 10m. It takes me 15 minutes in the car!
What really annoys me is money is seemingly no object for road schemes. Just look at the vast amounts being spent on the M4 at present, converting it to a dumb 'smart' motorway.

Yet, when it comes to bus and rail schemes the money is never available, or various hoops and red tape is put in the way.

• Heart

HeroToZero

So glad to find this thread!! Our electric has gone up by 150 a month… and we are on oil. I’ve been waiting three weeks for my delivery and hopefully it’s tomorrow… but it’s double! I have a log fire , which keeps a part of downstairs warm but I’ve had to buy heaters for the kids rooms which in turn is gonna cost so much! We are relatively ok financially… normally! But the cost of living is worrying me! In this day and age people should not have to choose between eating or heating, I’ve stacks of coats from my kids that I’m giving away to locals that need it, also certain food parcels I make up each week for someone in need. But why are we doing this?! Close the borders for a start surely! We can’t look after the population we have!

• Wow

Misssj80

VIP Member
not entirely relevant but slightly relevant: Is anyone else bloody starving all the time at the moment? I think it's the cold weather cause it's so cold and windy where I am but all I've done today is eat and be hungry
Yes, ME!!!!! Glad I'm not the only one 🤣 my food budget has gone out the window this past week 😂

Droosie123

VIP Member
Rumours are abounding that the Govt might be doing a U-turn on that UC uplift payment they have just stopped.

Personally I think they have to consider a U turn, energy prices have soared for many people and the NI increase is also going to hit home.

It won't affect us too much as my husband is picking up more work each month again. Plus I'm locked in to a good gas and electric deal until next October. Feeling for those who are struggling though.

My Mum and Dad got a letter raising their monthly payment from £80 to £140 pm . In their 70s and on a pension but do have my Dad's extra private pension to help thankfully. Still a huge issue for them though.

• Heart
  • Wow

GobShyte64

VIP Member
It really doesn't help when the daily fail show shops with empty shelves, scaremongering folks into panic buying!
I have a small store cupboard, always have as we used to have alot of electric going off, and I agree with folks buying a little extra a week.
I can't stand the daily fail. They come with their massive headlines, half the article is pictures and the rest is BS. I don't know how they get away with the shit they call journalism. Daily Express is the same.

Lindylou

Home shopping delivery drivers and pickers start and quit very very quickly where I work,it’s hard work for minimum wage.
Plus COVID sneaks in and wipes out whole shifts!

• Heart

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Not to mention the amount of companies that own or have shares in other companies. You can’t boycott nestle, Coca Cola brands like that cause they own the vast majority of brands you see in the supermarket. You’d have to live off grid to avoid any kind of unethical consumption.
I agree. The two largest companies on the planet are Blackrock and Vanguard. Blackrock has recently been buying up entire neighbourhoods in america.

Would most people really turn down an offer on their home that's 20-50% above the asking price?

Even if you want to avoid a big brand company they have their fingers on pretty much everything.

Unilever for example has 400 brands under their umbrella- including mayonnaise, dove, cornetto, ben & Jerries. Largest share owner is Blackrock at 11% then Vanguard. This is repeated in every single S&P500 company.

1635333644383.png

Then vanguard even has shares in Blackrock.

The largest holders for Time Warner, Comcast, Disney and News Corp are blackrock and vanguard.

1635333746541.png

Last edited:

eSsExBiRd

VIP Member
Morrison’s have restricted crisp purchases to 4 packs in my local store. It’s still only crisps that I’m seeing a lack of, everything else is plentiful.

• Wow
  • Heart

threeSMEGfridges

VIP Member
Does primark have the grey marl cotton jersey bedding in this year? Want another set but thought I’d ask before making a trip.

God it’s like Uni all over again when we slept in fleeces and wore onesies over clothes because the house was badly insulated 🥶🥶🥶

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Thats not fair- my partner is a farmer and the animals are well looked after and are killed in the most humane way possible for food. Farmers are human and killing animals for absolutely no reason is upsetting.
Sorry to hear that but I can't get my head round caring for animals yet happily shipping them off to get gassed to death or shot in the head.

I think they do care.

Think about your daily work - if you would work hard on something and it would then just be binned wouldn't you mind either?

Why dont you think farmers dont care about their animals? Because they are being killed to be eaten? They can still care about them and want them to live as good as possible and for their lives to have had a purpose
On a tangent but one of the highest rates of suicide amongst degree educated professionals is amongst vets. It's connected to treating animals in pain, difficulty communicating with patients and a large number of your patients being euthanasised.

Same works in abbatoirs too, I believe. Based on relatives who work in one, there's a strict rotation to make sure individuals don't spend too much time in the killing section. This is in Canada though, I'm not sure if there's similar guidance in the UK.

• Sad

Misssj80

VIP Member
I popped in Sainsbury's yesterday, my nearest shop, and some things we regularly buy had gone up by 15p or 20p.

• Sad
  • Heart

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
I don't like to scrimp on food items, but due to the price increases I've definitely cut back a little. I also realised that I probably spend too much on crap food. It may actually be a benefit to my health for me to cut back and only buy the necessary foods, rather than all the luxuries.

Anybody else eat beans and legumes? I buy the tins and jars of them, ranging from red beans, black beans, chickpeas, etc, and along with them tinned tomatoes. These are so useful for making a quick and simple meal.

Just chuck them in a pan with tinned tomatoes, and simmer for about 10 mins, add in some easy chopped garlic and even some tomato ketchup for added zing and taste. Really nice.

• Heart

fireflies

VIP Member
I know I sound like a whinging old lady taking about price increase i was boring husband earlier.
We on week before pay day grocery run down which means eating random crap in freeze and cupboard. Making some interesting creations and kids moaning that we have no good snacks.
I live near a high street thats full of food shops and charity shops.
I'm often passing on way back school runs so I always pop in see whats reduced or on offer.

Started in lilds which many things gone up this week
Hardly any crisps,juice or 22 p noodles.
Morrisions no value juice at all.
No samosas
No size 6 pullups which are cheaper than aldi.
No reduced just brought 50p savers choc mouse.
But have feeling speaking to cashier that they maybe discontinued their savers range as no savers dishwasher tabs either.
Got dishwashers tabs from pound shop and couple bits b and m..

But then went in ALDI and depressed myself.
They do sometimes price match lidls on certain items but noticed last few weeks I few things they cheaper than lilds.

No 22p noodles
No own brand squirty cream only anchor £1.59 which is more expensive than tesco express even!
The kids like it on hot chocolate.
Noticed last visit regular beer gone up fro £2.79 to £2.99.
Hardly any juice again.
Frozen berries gone up 10p was £1.39 now £1.49.
Sausage rolls up 15p was 85p now 89p.
3p increase in own brand red crisps 55p so still 10 p cheaper than lidls. Wonky strawberries were £1 now £1.25.
I imagine few things increased but those are things I regularly buy and noticed.

Between poor availability and price rises every I honestly feel like I'm getting much less for my money these days.
Local corner shop has 4pints milk for £1.09 and its £1.15 now in lidls / aldi and £1.30 Morrisions/ sainsbury /tesco.

• Wow
  • Sad