Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheGlossy

VIP Member
My electricity bill is higher than my heating / hot water bill. How does that even happen? This is the first time in my life I've ever seen this. Electricity bills are generally much lower than heating bills all throughout the year. I only use the oven and washing machine and my energy consumption has not changed at all. It's simply this increase in electricity rates that is messing the whole thing up.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
my vet has been amazing. We adore our puppy but we’ve been to our vets with everything from colitis to vaccines to swallowing objects. Every time its an emergency it feels horrific because we love our dog so much. Vets have helped us when we were having horrible days this year. I’ve always been so grateful for the care and love they’ve given our puppy -but I don’t really feed that back! I guess people are quicker to complain that gush over what a great job you’re doing. Maybe I should be more vocal. But my point is, for every pet owner who yells at you, there are probably a dozen more who are quietly thanking the stars for your work.

I’m also down my second pair of slippers to a puppy!
Thank you. I do know that. I also know I'm great at my job, as are my colleagues. Perhaps that's why it hurts when we get accused of not doing our jobs right, or get slated for asking for money for our services

• Heart

openbook1

VIP Member
Yes, same in America people moaning about the fuel going up. Plus the shortages, Trouble is us Brits are obsessed with Brexit, it matters not that the same things are going on all around the world, its Brexits fault here ;)
Hahah, I have noticed that. Sometimes people from the UK fail to open their eyes and notice a situation is also happening worldwide not just in the UK. This winter will be hard for a lot of people.

• Sad
When I was sheltering from a storm in a Tesco Express, I watched a man attempt to walk out with a basket of goods before being stopped by a security guard.

Thing is, all that he had in that basket (full to the brim) was ready-to-eat mackerel fillets.

I'm still confused to this day.
Maybe he has a black cat at home that bewitched him

• Haha

Droosie123

VIP Member
Everything has gone up, when you are on a limited budget that makes it hard.

Petrol was £1.50 a litre when I put my standard £25 in on Monday …god knows what it will be this Monday.

We get a UC top up to my husbands wage so it’s all really hitting us and because my son is disabled I can’t work. I do get CA but UC take that off pound for pound as it’s considered a wage. They do add a carers element though.

Dreading next year when my son leaves his placement as we will lose all the child elements of UC. Already worked it out….what we get will not even cover the rent. Hubby needs a higher paying job but not sure what else he could do.

• Heart
  • Sad

IngressUK

VIP Member
Going back to the ULEZ charge. I've read a few articles whereby it is causing a whole host of problems for London car owning residents.

People not being able to do their weekly shopping at usual stores, visit recycling centres or Hospitals, or visit relatives within the zone - without being stung.

In one case Sadiq told people to drive five miles (each way) to the nearest recycling centre to avoid the charge.

As i also feared, the North and South circular routes have now become even busier than previously, by people desperate to avoid the charge. So all Sadiq has succeeded in doing is shift the emissions elsewhere.

From my observations in central London, Sadiq has made the roads less busier for those owners of gas guzzling cars whom can afford to stump up whatever charges they are levied.

The scrapped scheme was limited and ran out of money, so many less off families did not benefit. Plus could they still afford a new car, even with a scrappage payment? I highly doubt it.

Sadiq claims that money raised from the ULEZ charge is used to improve London's transport. The best way of raising revenue is to enforce people actually paying for their journeys. There have been quite a few examples I can list - if I was that way inclined - where I could have gotten a 'free' journey. Starting at a station with no ticket barrier and going to one where the barrier always seems to be open. I've also noticed that it is very easy for people to avoid fares on London Buses, especially at busier times. This tax is just raising money in part to cover the lax checks for fare avoidance on TfL services.

I agree with the principle behind ULEZ, just not the way it has been done. It is also exceptionally ill timed, with people still suffering from financial losses from covid, plus the current cost of living crisis. Cleaner air will come naturally when most people look to their next car. Taxing the hell out if people isn't going to change the air quality, it will just shift that pollution elsewhere and allow those well off folks where £12.50 is of no concern, to carry on as usual - on less busier roads.

The thing is, there are definitely people who can afford to shop for higher priced clothes but go to Primark instead. I think it's fine to go to Primark and charity shops if they can't afford to buy higher quality clothes, but people have to look towards higher quality and stuff that will last. A lot of the time, cheap clothes will last a couple months then become useless, which then means they need replacing.

Most people probably don't even think about going to get shoes repaired, but instead opt to buy brand new ones and throw the damaged ones away. I know people like this and it does bug me that they just throw away £100-150 trainers/shoes, then buy new ones for similar prices.
I mean it’s an incredibly complex issue and I’m not able to comment on what other people can/can’t afford, or more likely what they choose to prioritise financially. I’m a fully sold subscriber to sustainable fashion (and tbh, fashion) but abhor the classism that comes with the emporer’s new clothes wave of green washed sustainability on Instagram, like buffet dresses sewn by property investors’ wives mitigates an environmental crisis not.

I grew up really poor & am at the other end of the spectrum in adulthood. I don’t believe anyone is shopping in primark if they could either afford or accommodate better, for some people their priorities may lie in over stretching themselves on the mortgage, or a better car, or are shopping in primark so they can go to centre parcs once a year. People’s domestic budgets are complex and nuanced 🤷🏻‍♀️

Also on quality, eh, this is another reason why I think people will happily opt for the very cheapest options as the highstreet is much of a muchness now wrt quality. V few people are in a position to shop above the highstreet offering & if they are, they’ll pick key pieces eg coats and shoes.

Wackie Jeaver

VIP Member
The thing with driving/car ownership that never gets properly mentioned is the issue of when you dont live in a major city or even a big town. Well it does, but only by those of us who have fuck all access to regular, frequent, useful public transport.

Where I live now there is one bus an hour to the nearest small town, once every 2 hours after 6pm. Then you change to get another bus to the towns where stuff/jobs/shops happen. Process takes at least an hour and a half, and costs minimum £12 return (if you are lucky). Not surprisingly all the teenagers learn to drive at 17, so they can drive to their zero hour jobs to pay for the cars they need to get a better job and/or see their friends.

When I used to live in London, I would barely drive, basically because I could get the tube or the the bus to where I wanted to be in less time at less cost and hassle than if I'd driven.

Mark81

VIP Member
I think our supermarkets are a disgrace. do we need two isles of sweets, two for crips another two for soft drinks.. another two for bread and cakes So much goes to waste not even all the food banks and larders can use it all.

I hate trying to shop, way too much choice. it's overwhelming at times.

My cats are hunters so if my food for them runs out they won't starve.
Worst case, send them out to get you food too 😉

Are people seriously buying candles? :oops:
It used to be quite a standard thing to have. If power goes out you need light 🤷‍♂️ not sure when people stopped tbh

dancingqueen5678

Chatty Member
Wouldn't surprise me!
so I googled it to make sure I wasn't making it up - via the BBC website:

"The name comes from a time when the rich used to box up gifts to give to the poor. Boxing Day was traditionally a day off for servants, and the day when they received a special Christmas box from their masters. The servants would also go home on Boxing Day to give Christmas boxes to their families."

• Sick

Pesky Tarian

VIP Member
What are peoples thoughts on the HS2 NE being scrapped?. A friends gf has spent the last few yrs relocating wildlife from the proposed route. What an inordinate waste of time/money.

• Sad

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I’m thankful it seems to have been quite a mild November where I live, so the heating has only come on sparingly, so far.

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
Anyone watching dispatches? It’s about how kids growing up in poverty and how they will be effected by the £20 cut
Yes , I’m watching . The little girl that just wanted to go to Tesco to buy something. The boy that has never been to a restaurant of any kind . I have to say the school they attend are incredible and supportive wherever they can be.

• Sad

CatCafe234

VIP Member
Why kill the pigs? Why cant u keep them alive until they have the gas or whatever?
Economics. The longer you keep them alive, the more they have cost the producer. They work on keeping an animal alive for x months knowing that‘ll cost them x amount, so they can sell for y and still make a profit.

Littleelf

VIP Member
Oh I see, yes that makes sense. Honestly hadn't paid much attention to the dates. I'm fortunate enough for it not really to make much of a difference to me..

I'm totally gonna get flamed for this, but why have another child if you are struggling so much?
Things can change quickly. We weren't struggling when we decided to start trying for another baby, we had no idea redundancy was around the corner 9 months ago. Things happen that you can't allways control unfortunately 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
  • Sad

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Bias 'MyLondon' playing the violin as to what will happen if TFL isn't bailed out again.

The UK's needs are more than just what London wants!

What about the other areas of the UK that has public transport still stuck in the 70's and 80's?

The sheer arrogance of Tube Drivers (egged on by the RMT) also highly annoys me. They are already more than well remunerated for the work they do through pay, perks and actual hours worked. Bringing London to a standstill through strikes if their demands aren't met. They continually seem to think they are deserved of ever more, even over those who drive buses - whom don't make the same annual demands or annoy passengers through regular strikes. Bus drivers get my respect, tube drivers don't.
Tube drivers get paid a ridiculous amount of money considering their role. There is very little skill unless something goes wrong. I am sure it is a role that could be done driverless.

TFL needs to be able to keep itself afloat. It charges enough for tickets, deal with the ticket evaders. I work in London and except for the barriers which are open a lot of the time I haven’t had my ticket inspected since before the pandemic and even then it was maybe 3 times a year. I reported a ticket evader who got my train every day, they basically told unless they witness him (which they did) there was nothing they could do while I paid £3k for the same ticket!

• Angry
  • Wow