The Samaritans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've turnt to the samiritans. What life threw at me at the time was pretty unbearable. I had lost everything and everyone was carrying on with their lives. I was in an emotionally poor place and was hanging on by a thread. I hung up in frustration. My handler seemed cold and I felt was just paraphrasing me. It wasn't worth my time. I curled up into a ball thinking even more low of myself I was that desperate to call strangers.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I got halfway through the training and quit after a practice call ended in tears for me. I froze and didn’t know what to say, totally lost confidence. Looking back I now know I was on a downward spiral with my own mental health and had I got any further with training I wouldn’t have lasted much longer.
Im not sure if I would consider it again in the future, I used to volunteer for a similar organisation for students, but Samaritans was a whole other level. I don’t know if I could listen to someone talk about something awful they’ve done (for example, they’ve abused someone) and not be able to do anything about it.

Am sorry to hear about bad experiences, I used them many years ago, ended up speaking to the same person each time, they'll never know how much help they were at one of my darkest times.

Reactions: 1
I used to be a Samaritan, and I think the wider view of the organisation is to respect the choice of the individual. It then depends on the stance of your branch. In ours we were encouraged to air on side of life, and encourage the caller to seek support, or we would even offer to phone an ambulance on their behalf if they disclosed their location.

I would recommend volunteering if you want to go on to train to be a Therapist or Mental Health worker. Three years volunteering taught me so much. I now have a role for the NHS and a lot of what I learnt as a Sam has proven useful.

Note in this thread the use of inappropriate language. People don’t use the term “commit” anymore as it implies suicide is a crime. Seen another comment about “manipulative callers”. Anyone presenting in a mental health crisis isn’t manipulative, anyone disclosing suicidal ideation isn’t manipulative, if that’s your response to their disclosure, please seek clinical supervision. Someone presenting in distress isn’t trying to manipulative you, even if they have a specific diagnosis and capacity/insight.

This isn’t just an issue unique to the Samaritans. Third sector mental health support lines often have similar policies. It’s tough, as they do excellent gatekeeping for people presenting in crisis or waiting on CMHT referrals under the NHS.

Childline won’t contact social work or the police if a caller discloses abuse, unless the perpetrator works in a position of power e.g teacher, where they have quick means to access other potential victims. Entirely different from the NHS, counselling practice and working in any setting with children, where a disclosure would lead to immediate sharing with the Police.

Samaritans do provide an excellent service for patients. Not ashamed to say I’ve utilised their service previously. The work they do is fantastic, it’s unfortunate a small minority of callers aren’t using the service appropriately. The service is designed to be impartial, if you feel a Samaritan hasn’t been empathetic please complain, so they can improve their service!

I’ve never had to contact Samaritans but I do support their work and contribute financially monthly.

Perhaps a controversial opinion but I can completely understand the Samaritans (and other helplines) policy on non-forcing, leading or pushing interventions. If someone is in crisis, a stranger on the phone telling them reasons why they should not complete the act isn’t going to help. However, a person listening to them, talking openly (without judgement) about their thoughts / plans may actually be what they needed to step back from carrying through that time. I’m no mental health expert but there really is something to the Samaritans “small talk saves lives”campaign they ran with Network Rail. That small interjection, of routine conversation, with a stranger can really have an impact.

Ultimately, if a person wants to complete suicide then that is their free choice to do so. This is obviously heartbreaking for them, for their families and loved ones that it reached that point. However, they aren’t doing anything wrong.

Suicide, depression and all the many varied reasons that lead to it suck. I just hope that anyone reading this who may be feeling in a bad state of mind reach out, talk and get support. And remember you’re not alone. 💛

Reactions: 2
I said 'committed suicide' - its autopilot to say it as so. Have to be conscious of how I word that. I do like the push to link mental health as a cause of death though. It gives it more power and highlights how serious and real it is, when you say someone died from depression/ptsd/psychosis etc.

What do you mean? Surely the whole point is to talk someone out of it?

Also no idea what the last sentence means so maybe you could clarify?
Samaritins are an absolute shite show. If someone was at the point of suicide, they are the last group I'd get them to call.

Hysterical, rather dramatic, quite selfish, is it always about you, you seem to have brattish tenancies is that why you are shut out

Are just a sample of phrases from 6 different phonecalls made by a family member to the Samaritins before they attempted suicide.

Luckily circumstances changed and someone came home unexpected.

I called them once, luckily I called someone else rather than take the advice of "I'm not here to talk you out of it, but first have a cup of tea, or, you know, something stronger, and get a grip of yourself and pull your socks up"

The whole organisation can duck off to hell as far as I am concerned.

My friend is a mental health nurse and even she doesn't recommend calling them as they haven't got a clue and their ethics are totally wrong.

I think the good thing about Samaritans is the small talk angle - every caller will be bringing a different type of distress. For some callers, “You are loved and matter” would make them realise they don’t want to die, for others, it would only intensify their suicidal feelings. “Don’t do it” - if the caller asked “why”, this would put the Samaritan in a difficult position. I don’t think any amount of training can teach someone to give a stranger the direct answer they need to this question

It’s more about the process of talking to someone, like with Don Ritchie, the Australian who talked more than 160 people out of suicide (he lived near a place where lots of people attempt suicide). He would never advise them, only listen and lend them an ear

Remember also that while someone like Don can physically lead someone away from the edge, the Samaritans can’t really take you anywhere, so there’s less they can do

The Samaritans didn’t solve my mental illness but they stopped me mid mental breakdown and stopped me from hurting myself. That’s not the full picture of what support should be but their role is in deescalating crises, and they do it well IME

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I admire anyone who works on these kind of helplines. I really wanted to and about ten or so years ago I went for some training for a women’s helpline (can’t remember which one) but I didn’t even get past the first training session. I am very emotional and ended up crying when I was told about some of of the stuff I may have to deal with.

I didn’t even think that perverted men is something that you’d have to deal with. I am truly shocked and feel sick and saddened at the thought of it. What is wrong with these people? Why do they get off on something like this? There are some twisted people in this world 😔

Reactions: 1
I admire anyone who works on these kind of helplines. I really wanted to and about ten or so years ago I went for some training for a women’s helpline (can’t remember which one) but I didn’t even get past the first training session. I am very emotional and ended up crying when I was told about some of of the stuff I may have to deal with.

I didn’t even think that perverted men is something that you’d have to deal with. I am truly shocked and feel sick and saddened at the thought of it. What is wrong with these people? Why do they get off on something like this? There are some twisted people in this world 😔
They’re just testing your boundaries. Seeing if you’ll react. It’s the same with abusive callers who deliberately swear

• Sad
Reactions: 2